Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Sigone, January 3, 2020, 1:48pm
our manager says:-
IH: My phone melted against my ear yesterday! I’m flattered by people wanting their players to come here. But I’ve got to hold it all back, and look how we’re getting on here first. I’ve got to be fair and give people a chance. #GTFC
Posted by: hheh2, January 3, 2020, 1:50pm; Reply: 1
Crazy(lol)
Posted by: RonMariner, January 3, 2020, 1:56pm; Reply: 2
Plenty of L1 and L2 players would now be more than willing to come and play for IH. He can probably persuade some higher level players too.

So recruitment will be far easier than for may years. With Fenty already indicating he will put more cash in, we might very well get some quality additions very soon!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 3, 2020, 2:00pm; Reply: 3
Fact of the matter is, he's one of those managers that players want to experience playing under.

He's charismatic, his stories are legendary. Read about the excrement in the changing rooms at Brighton before the play off semi final. Turns out that it was actually the Palace bus driver!
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 3, 2020, 3:48pm; Reply: 4
The one thing I'd really love to see again at BP, and it could happen because of IH's connections, is the old seasoned pro like Whymark, Birtles, Nicholl, Futcher or the like to bring some kind of overall nous and stability on the pitch. None of them had decent legs when they came here but their knowledge of how to play the game stood them out above the rest.

Having scanned through the kind of player he's managed who fits that kind of description, you have Alex Baptiste at Donny (hasn't played for them this season as well) and Stephen Dobbie, a striker at Queen of the South, just 15 miles down the road from me who is still capable of banging in thirty plus goals per season. He's 36 now, but has scored 64 goals in just 111 games since moving back there from Bolton, and he's got a fantastic footballing brain on him.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 3, 2020, 3:52pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from jock dock tower
The one thing I'd really love to see again at BP, and it could happen because of IH's connections, is the old seasoned pro like Whymark, Birtles, Nicholl, Futcher or the like to bring some kind of overall nous and stability on the pitch. None of them had decent legs when they came here but their knowledge of how to play the game stood them out above the rest.

Having scanned through the kind of player he's managed who fits that kind of description, you have Alex Baptiste at Donny (hasn't played for them this season as well) and Stephen Dobbie, a striker at Queen of the South, just 15 miles down the road from me who is still capable of banging in thirty plus goals per season. He's 36 now, but has scored 64 goals in just 11 games since moving back there from Bolton, and he's got a fantastic footballing brain on him.

Thats a decent average 6 goals a game whatever level :)
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 3, 2020, 3:52pm; Reply: 6
64 goals in 11 games . Not bad .
Posted by: Stew0_0, January 3, 2020, 3:54pm; Reply: 7
He's 36 now, but has scored 64 goals in just 11 games since moving back there from Bolton, and he's got a fantastic footballing brain on him.

Think its in 111 games.  Still impressive though  :)
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, January 3, 2020, 3:57pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
64 goals in 11 games . Not bad .

Just under 6 goals per game - sign him up!!
Posted by: Hagrid, January 3, 2020, 3:57pm; Reply: 9
Deffo not 11 games😂 but still impressive
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 3, 2020, 4:10pm; Reply: 10
We have higher standards now for strikers than 64 goals in 11 games.  We can aim higher. 😉😃
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 3, 2020, 4:42pm; Reply: 11

Having scanned through the kind of player he's managed who fits that kind of description, you have Alex Baptiste at Donny (hasn't played for them this season as well) and Stephen Dobbie, a striker at Queen of the South, just 15 miles down the road from me who is still capable of banging in thirty plus goals per season. He's 36 now, but has scored 64 goals in just 11 games since moving back there from Bolton, and he's got a fantastic footballing brain on him.

Alex Baptiste started Donny's first 2 league matches but picked up a serious injury in the 2nd game.
Posted by: Squinter, January 3, 2020, 4:50pm; Reply: 12
Embleton back on loan wud be nice
Posted by: Tinymariner, January 3, 2020, 5:30pm; Reply: 13
I take it from the interview that IH will be having behind closed doors game to assess some trialists next week.
Posted by: buckstown, January 3, 2020, 5:38pm; Reply: 14
Do hope it's not all bull. I'm a town fan and I'm feeling optimistic again so it usually involves a massive crash
Posted by: dicko995, January 3, 2020, 5:56pm; Reply: 15
I think it will be too much to ask tomorrow at Mansfield for Ollie to put his mark on the team, but I know the lads will play theyre hearts out for him. Ollie will have a little idea where the strengths need to be after the game maybe, but its not gonna be an overnight fix. As JF says, hes got money available if necessary, but there may have to be an offload to compensate. Im buzzing like everyone else, but if we all think about it logically, it may take a few games and a couple of signings to get where we want to be for this season. I don't think realistically its going to be the magical effect we expect, but I know we will be fine and relegation wont be a worry. Ollie has the passion and charisma to make us believe, and it will happen, in a given time. He has a hell of a lot to do in terms of the team, club issues, which he has sorted by signing as manager, and the new ground. He must have a lot of patience, and a superb wife who helps him, they are fully committed to GTFC, not many families would do this, and I praise them both.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 3, 2020, 6:03pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from dicko995
I think it will be too much to ask tomorrow at Mansfield for Ollie to put his mark on the team, but I know the lads will play theyre hearts out for him. Ollie will have a little idea where the strengths need to be after the game maybe, but its not gonna be an overnight fix. As JF says, hes got money available if necessary, but there may have to be an offload to compensate. Im buzzing like everyone else, but if we all think about it logically, it may take a few games and a couple of signings to get where we want to be for this season. I don't think realistically its going to be the magical effect we expect, but I know we will be fine and relegation wont be a worry. Ollie has the passion and charisma to make us believe, and it will happen, in a given time. He has a hell of a lot to do in terms of the team, club issues, which he has sorted by signing as manager, and the new ground. He must have a lot of patience, and a superb wife who helps him, they are fully committed to GTFC, not many families would do this, and I praise them both.

Very well put...
Posted by: Rik e B, January 3, 2020, 6:05pm; Reply: 17
Agree, and can't forget Wifey, the Super White Witch, here to raise the curse from BP!
Posted by: Ipswin, January 3, 2020, 6:11pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Rik e B
Agree, and can't forget Wifey, the Super White Witch, here to raise the curse from BP!

Whilst metal detecting and walking four dogs inthe centre circle

You really couldn't make it up!

Shame they don't give points for the entertainment value

Posted by: Rik e B, January 3, 2020, 6:16pm; Reply: 19
Maybe they could sort the osmond goalmouth out?
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 3, 2020, 7:44pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Thats a decent average 6 goals a game whatever level :)

Now suitably adjusted to 64 from 111 starts. Still an excellent return.

Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 4:39am