Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 28195 (Guest), January 1, 2020, 6:36pm
What do we want from the next 23 games? After today I don’t think we’ll be in a relegation battle, I just hope we finish above Scunthorpe and by next December are challenging with the best teams in L2.
Posted by: Stew0_0, January 1, 2020, 7:01pm; Reply: 1
I think we are "half way there" in the respect that we are developing a solid defensive structure. 3 goals conceded in 5 games is solid and waterfall and davis seem to have tightened up the back. No coincidence also that our poor run starting and ending has directly linked to Hendries return to the side. Also think Clifton is getting through alot of work shielding the back 4.

Where the problem still lies and it was mentioned by Holloway in his post match interview, its in the creativity and finishing that is letting us down and im sure Ollie will sort this both on the training ground and during the transfer window.

Overall a very satisfying 48 hours.

Utm
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 1, 2020, 9:05pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Stew0_0
I think we are "half way there" in the respect that we are developing a solid defensive structure. 3 goals conceded in 5 games is solid and waterfall and davis seem to have tightened up the back. No coincidence also that our poor run starting and ending has directly linked to Hendries return to the side. Also think Clifton is getting through alot of work shielding the back 4.

Where the problem still lies and it was mentioned by Holloway in his post match interview, its in the creativity and finishing that is letting us down and im sure Ollie will sort this both on the training ground and during the transfer window.

Overall a very satisfying 48 hours.

Utm

Good post  Stew0_0, I know we have lost a fair few, I've felt the defense has mainly been good it, was at the other end when our goals dried up that cost us the most points over the last few months.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 1, 2020, 9:41pm; Reply: 3
Carry on as we are and that will be 52 points and safety  ;) We can only get better though i think so finishing above 14th would be our best effort for many a season. Finish the season on the up.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, January 1, 2020, 9:44pm; Reply: 4
I’d be happy to finish the season with more wins than defeats

I suppose we can say it’s a mini season now , starting Saturday , so 23 games to play thats 69 points to play for, who knows what can happen
Let’s just enjoy the ride
Posted by: MarinerRob, January 1, 2020, 11:23pm; Reply: 5
If it's as good as Jolley's mini-season I will be very happy.
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 1, 2020, 11:41pm; Reply: 6

Under Ollie's leadership I very much hope we won't be living on a prayer anymore.
Posted by: LH, January 2, 2020, 12:00am; Reply: 7
From this position: top half finish with a positive goal difference (and above Scunny) is about as good as we can hope for.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 2, 2020, 12:06pm; Reply: 8
Impossible to say until we know what the plans are for January.

There's no two ways about it, our squad has no balance to it and it lacks real quality.  We've a lot of players who are much about muchness.

If Holloway is able to offload a few of those fringe players or there is funds that have been freed up and he's able to bring in some new faces, I'd take this second half of the season as a foundation builder for next season.  Get thing solid, get a system going and then make the tweaks in the summer.

But if we're not going to get a lot of activity I think it's going to be mid-table at best and then hope for the best with a high turnover of players in the summer.

It's easy to get carried away with Holloway's enthusiasm and I get that he's a real man-manager, will get an extra 10% from his team....but you can't motivate players to have extra quality.

I'll take just enjoying the rest of the season, because other than the first month or so this has been an awful entertainment spectacle.
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 12:39pm