Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: fishboyUTM, December 27, 2019, 10:19am
I see yet again the club is allowing the contracts of our better players to run down. Apolgies if I am incorrect, but I believe Luke Hendrie, Charles Vernam and Jake Hessenthaler all have just over six months on their deals. Technically, they could sign a pre contract agreement with another non English club from Wednesday.

Why do we allow our players to walk away for free every season? It's absolute madness.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, December 27, 2019, 10:32am; Reply: 1
Whilst not disagreeing with your philosophy not sure as fans we would be in agreement on who gets a contract extension and who doesn’t. Of the three you mention up until yesterday not too many fans would be extending Vernam’s stay despite his obvious natural technical ability but hopefully he will show us unbelievers we were wrong. Hess is a steady performer but in reality does not create or score goals and whilst I would be pleased for him to stay it must be as a defensive midfield player.

Not sure a) about Hendrie’s contract length as I thought he signed for 2 years plus when joining us and b) why his performance levels have fallen this season compared to last. Maybe the injuries he suffered but not attained standards he set last year and again going forward has offered little by way of assists.

Think the general nature of L2 is short-termism so for every good player we may lose there are 3 we are pleased to see the back of. Only certainty is uncertainty and that come August we will have at least five or six new players in the starting eleven.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 27, 2019, 10:33am; Reply: 2
Don't know why people get a bee in their bonnet about this every year. Let the manager and club sort it as it's their job. We don't have anyone i would be bothered about losing anyway, and certainly no-one irreplaceable.
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 27, 2019, 10:34am; Reply: 3
Hendrie has had a poor season, I can't imagine many clubs queuing up to sign him.

Vernam has produced his first two significant displays in over a year.  I like the lad, I thought against Lincoln he played like a lion both in his desire to get stuck in but also his willingness to run at players (not easy when you're lacking confidence as a player and as a side, that takes guts). From what I saw of the Macc game he was in decent form and beat his man a fair few times, even on a pudding of a pitch.  But two games don't make a summer, again I can't imagine clubs queuing up for him.

Hessenthaler in that role protecting the back four, yeah we should have given him an extended deal either last season or earlier this year.  He's looked average in the last two-three months and in a further forward role is totally ineffective.  If any scout has rocked up to watch him recently I don't think they'll be begging their employer to snap him up.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, December 27, 2019, 10:39am; Reply: 4
Fair points lads. Hendrie's form has dropped off, he has been carrying an injury to be fair to him. I do rate Charles Vernam highly, but you're right in what you say. I believe the spell playing regularly at Chorley as done him the world of good, he's match fit now and he was unplayable yesterday. He's our best player by far IMO, I'm a huge fan.
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), December 27, 2019, 11:02am; Reply: 5
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Fair points lads. Hendrie's form has dropped off, he has been carrying an injury to be fair to him. I do rate Charles Vernam highly, but you're right in what you say. I believe the spell playing regularly at Chorley as done him the world of good, he's match fit now and he was unplayable yesterday. He's our best player by far IMO, I'm a huge fan.

Hi Charles!! Happy Christmas!!
Posted by: Meza, December 27, 2019, 11:32am; Reply: 6
Quoted from fishboyUTM
I see yet again the club is allowing the contracts of our better players to run down. Apolgies if I am incorrect, but I believe Luke Hendrie, Charles Vernam and Jake Hessenthaler all have just over six months on their deals. Technically, they could sign a pre contract agreement with another non English club from Wednesday.

Why do we allow our players to walk away for free every season? It's absolute madness.

Can you blame them with the abuse they get from there own fans.  Shakes head and tuts.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 27, 2019, 11:37am; Reply: 7
Hendrie is under contract for another 18 months.

http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, December 27, 2019, 11:55am; Reply: 8
We need a manager first before we start giving out contract extensions!
Posted by: fishboyUTM, December 27, 2019, 12:38pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Abdul19
Hendrie is under contract for another 18 months.

http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202

Nice
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 27, 2019, 12:54pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Meza

Can you blame them with the abuse they get from there own fans.  Shakes head and tuts.

I wonder how many players at clubs who have gone 3 months without a win and barely a goal, and sit just above the relegation zone in division 4 would not take a bit of stick? We havent seen a home goal since September and its nearly New Year.

We all support the team, but when its this bad you have got to be realistic.
Posted by: Meza, December 27, 2019, 1:07pm; Reply: 11

I wonder how many players at clubs who have gone 3 months without a win and barely a goal, and sit just above the relegation zone in division 4 would not take a bit of stick? We havent seen a home goal since September and its nearly New Year.

We all support the team, but when its this bad you have got to be realistic.

I get that Lew it's just a shame the minority have to go to new lows.  
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, December 27, 2019, 1:09pm; Reply: 12
How do you know they haven't been talking to the out of contract players, guess your encouragement yesterday would really help them decide to stay here.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 27, 2019, 1:45pm; Reply: 13
I would not worry about it, at our level unless someone has put down roots like Macca players come and go. Our root cause problem is that for differing reasons various managers have failed to replace leavers with better quality.

Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 4:23pm