Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Teestogreen, December 25, 2019, 9:42pm
This a football related thread - why have you chosen your pseudonym?

My first recollections of following Grimsby Town were, Matt Tees and Rodney Green combining to score a load of goals in my young spectator introduction to 3rd division league football in the mid sixties.

Ever since, I have had Grimsby Town in my heart.

This may be a one off thread - but I hope other Town fans can explain their pseudonym.
Posted by: ancientmariner54, December 25, 2019, 10:14pm; Reply: 1
I'm very old. But wer'e all town ,are'nt we.......
Merry Christmas fishy folk.  U.T.M.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 25, 2019, 10:15pm; Reply: 2
The summer of 2004 saw quite a lot of exotically named triallists playing for thrusting young gaffer Russell 'Slades' Slade's GTFC - but none more exciting than mysterious Malian hitman, Abdul.

It was a sunny Tuesday evening in Scarborough when I first set eyes on him. Tall and powerful, with a touch like silk - if only Paul Groves had discovered him a year earlier instead of signing 47 year old Iffy Onuora.

He had a shot over the bar and wore number 19. Ends.
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 25, 2019, 10:22pm; Reply: 3
I used to be known as relegation plaice but when we got promoted back into the league I asked Rob if I could change it to promotion plaice, fool me.
The plaice bit comes from when I was a fish lumper on the docks here.

Posted by: jock dock tower, December 25, 2019, 10:42pm; Reply: 4
Mine's from moving north in 1991, but only after promotion had been achieved. The docktower bit symbolises the fish docks where I first earned a living in 1970.
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 25, 2019, 10:44pm; Reply: 5
My name is Pete and I come from Grimsby.

Been living in Suffolk since 1987.

BUT

Always a mariner .
Posted by: pizzzza, December 25, 2019, 10:50pm; Reply: 6
I like eating pizza but "pizza" was already taken.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 25, 2019, 11:02pm; Reply: 7
Ron Rafferty was my first Town hero from season 1956-7 when he signed for Town. Then in 1958-9 when he scored a mountain of goals alongside Ralph Hunt.

A supplementary reason is that the lad who lived next door to us in those days had rhotacism, a problem saying the letter “r” properly. So Won Wafferty became a fixture in our house.
Posted by: Mallyner, December 26, 2019, 8:26am; Reply: 8
I wait with baited breath for fishyfanny' s explanation.  ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, December 26, 2019, 8:31am; Reply: 9
My dad used to eat a lot of skate wings, also known as ginnywings, so it's a nod to him and has a fishy reference too, which fits with the site.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, December 26, 2019, 8:52am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Abdul19
The summer of 2004 saw quite a lot of exotically named triallists playing for thrusting young gaffer Russell 'Slades' Slade's GTFC - but none more exciting than mysterious Malian hitman, Abdul.

It was a sunny Tuesday evening in Scarborough when I first set eyes on him. Tall and powerful, with a touch like silk - if only Paul Groves had discovered him a year earlier instead of signing 47 year old Iffy Onuora.

He had a shot over the bar and wore number 19. Ends.

What happened next?  

Abdul part ii???

Posted by: ex-merseymariner, December 26, 2019, 8:53am; Reply: 11
Ron Rafferty was my first Town hero from season 1956-7 when he signed for Town. Then in 1958-9 when he scored a mountain of goals alongside Ralph Hunt.

A supplementary reason is that the lad who lived next door to us in those days had rhotacism, a problem saying the letter “r” properly. So Won Wafferty became a fixture in our house.

Ok, like  Wicky Wavenhill or Isaiah wankin?
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, December 26, 2019, 8:55am; Reply: 12
I used to study on Merseyside and was Merseymariner back in the day, late 90s early 00s maybe, but then I moved back to Gy circa Santos, Mansaram, Cas and Crowe, so amended the name too.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, December 26, 2019, 9:01am; Reply: 13
My name comes from the need to let people know that I am the Real John Lewis and Lennel John-Lewis was just an imposter!
Posted by: Madeleymariner, December 26, 2019, 9:29am; Reply: 14
Hope mine is obvious its where I live but can anyone work out Son of Madeley Mariners pseudonym ;D
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 26, 2019, 9:51am; Reply: 15
Simples... Mariner through n through, left GT 2002 and moved to the North side of the river with my, now ex, mud rat Mrs..
Posted by: GYinScuntland, December 26, 2019, 10:20am; Reply: 16
I'm surrounded by Scunthorpe girl privates.
Posted by: Gaffer58, December 26, 2019, 10:58am; Reply: 17
I was wondering how " getyourfactsright" came up with his, would be quite fascinating to hear it.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, December 26, 2019, 12:52pm; Reply: 18
Well I was living in Beijing when my kids love of football renewed my interest in Town. Led to the name, obviously but also a life long bone to be picked between me and the boys. They can't forgive me for the tears, the frustrations and the tiny little moments of joy. My personal moment of justification was a trip back to Cleggy one summer when my eldest was 9, we went to the club shop and the lovely lady in there was asking all the usual polite questions. When I explained we had come from China she took me and my lad through to the pitch and let him stand on it. The look of pride on his face was absolutely priceless. In my mind, Blundell Park, Beijing and my kids are all fused together forever.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 26, 2019, 12:57pm; Reply: 19
In 2003 we moved South to Herts for work reasons. Great working in London but ah1t living down here the people are generally ignorant tw@ts.
Posted by: Posh Harry, December 26, 2019, 6:26pm; Reply: 20
I’m not posh or called Harry.

Born and live in Peterborough I.e. posh, and mates round here call me Harry haddock due to being a town fan.

UTFM
Posted by: livosnose, December 26, 2019, 6:31pm; Reply: 21
I am Steve Livingstone and I basically run Middlesbrough
Posted by: cmackenzie4, December 26, 2019, 6:37pm; Reply: 22
My names Chris Mackenzie and been a Town fan since I was 4 years old (1974)
Posted by: moosey_club, December 26, 2019, 10:30pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from BeijingMariner
Well I was living in Beijing when my kids love of football renewed my interest in Town. Led to the name, obviously but also a life long bone to be picked between me and the boys. They can't forgive me for the tears, the frustrations and the tiny little moments of joy. My personal moment of justification was a trip back to Cleggy one summer when my eldest was 9, we went to the club shop and the lovely lady in there was asking all the usual polite questions. When I explained we had come from China she took me and my lad through to the pitch and let him stand on it. The look of pride on his face was absolutely priceless. In my mind, Blundell Park, Beijing and my kids are all fused together forever.

He could have been named man of the match some weeks   ;D
Posted by: rancido, December 27, 2019, 1:52pm; Reply: 24
I dropped my guts at work one day and nearly choked the guy working with me said "God, that smells rancid" and the nickname stuck! I added the "o" to the end to give it a Spanish effect.
Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, December 27, 2019, 3:17pm; Reply: 25
No explanation needed for mine. Probably one of the finest players ever to pull on a Town shirt !

How we could do with him now !  ;)
Posted by: geir, December 27, 2019, 3:29pm; Reply: 26

No explanation probably needed. My first name is Geir -  which is quite natural as I am in fact born, living and working in Norway.
Never saw the need for an alias.

Up the Mariners - always and forever! :-)
Posted by: Boris Johnson, December 27, 2019, 4:18pm; Reply: 27
I am who I am...
Posted by: PrestwichMariner, December 27, 2019, 5:17pm; Reply: 28
I've lived in Prestwich since 2002 and I'm a Mariner so fairly straight forward.
Posted by: Civvy at last, December 27, 2019, 5:35pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Madeleymariner
but can anyone work out Son of Madeley Mariners pseudonym ;D

Is it because ‘son of Madeleymariners milkman’ is to long to fit ?
;)
Posted by: RichMariner, December 27, 2019, 10:42pm; Reply: 30
My family has a long history of fishing in Grimsby... and I happen to be very wealthy.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, December 28, 2019, 11:23am; Reply: 31
Quoted from moosey_club

He could have been named man of the match some weeks   ;D

I don't want to agree with you, but............
Posted by: Grimal, December 28, 2019, 11:51am; Reply: 32
Quoted from RichMariner
My family has a long history of fishing in Grimsby... and I happen to be very wealthy.

Have you got a couple of million to spare, do you want to own a football club ? ;)

Posted by: 137 (Guest), December 28, 2019, 12:00pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from BeijingMariner

Really nice story, thanks for sharing it.

As for mine...well, I lived in Chiang Mai (Thailand) for 14 years. I should change it now, but they seem to stick with you forever (as others have found).
Posted by: 28195 (Guest), December 28, 2019, 12:00pm; Reply: 34
Exiled Town fan living in Barton, plenty of mutant Scunts and Dull fans with speaking difficulties about.
Posted by: Heisenberg, December 28, 2019, 12:01pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from rancido
I dropped my guts at work one day and nearly choked the guy working with me said "God, that smells rancid" and the nickname stuck! I added the "o" to the end to give it a Spanish effect.

Now THAT is a proper reason right there!
Posted by: chrissy, December 28, 2019, 3:31pm; Reply: 36
Its  my name .
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 28, 2019, 8:40pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from chrissy
Its  my name .

Your parents had a sense of humour - not many would christen  their child “Its”. ;)
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 6:44am