Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), December 21, 2019, 5:36pm
Another 1966 hero and scorer departs the pitch. RIP Martin
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 21, 2019, 5:59pm; Reply: 1
Another victim of Alzheimer’s.

What sticks in the mind apart from his goal at Wemberlee? Alf Ramsey describing him as “ten years ahead of his time”.

My memory is of a player with a super football brain and immaculate positional sense. Never seemed in a hurry.
Posted by: Teestogreen, December 21, 2019, 6:04pm; Reply: 2
Exactly what I remembered - so he was 86 rather than 76. There's only Geoff Hurst who can top him in Englands' World Cup history - so far.

RIP Martin Peters
Posted by: mimma, December 21, 2019, 7:30pm; Reply: 3
He was known for ghosting in from nowhere to score.One of a few players of that era that wouldn't look out of place today.

RIP
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 21, 2019, 7:53pm; Reply: 4
Sad news ....... proper player!
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 22, 2019, 9:40pm; Reply: 5

A proper football legend, I was only six when he scored in the world cup final.

I can't remember watching it at the time (no surprise) but apparently I did.

RIP Martin Peters.
Posted by: Teesknees, December 22, 2019, 9:49pm; Reply: 6
Did he ever play at Blundell Park?
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), December 22, 2019, 10:57pm; Reply: 7
Think he did in 65. We played the Hammers in the league Cup.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 23, 2019, 1:23pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Teesknees
Did he ever play at Blundell Park?

He sure did

https://www.11v11.com/matches/grimsby-town-v-west-ham-united-17-november-1965-28658/

I can vaguely recall this game as a little kid going with my dad.... didn't realise the significance of course just going in the boys paddock

I saw his obituary in The Guardian yesterday.... a good read and a fitting tribute to him ( despite what anyone's political views are )

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/22/martin-peters-obituary

RIP Martin  :B
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 23, 2019, 1:51pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

He sure did

https://www.11v11.com/matches/grimsby-town-v-west-ham-united-17-november-1965-28658/

I can vaguely recall this game as a little kid going with my dad.... didn't realise the significance of course just going in the boys paddock

I saw his obituary in The Guardian yesterday.... a good read and a fitting tribute to him ( despite what anyone's political views are )

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/22/martin-peters-obituary

RIP Martin  :B

Yes he played and like his team was outplayed by a great Town team which should have won. Nevertheless a great player. Later that year I saw him have a brilliant game against Notts Forest. Superb.

Interesting if you go down that West Ham team sheet though to see how many of them were (relatively) local to the club.
Posted by: Ipswin, December 23, 2019, 1:53pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I'll never forget this game The great trio of Hurst Peters and Moore were still 6 months away from World Cup glory so didn't really mean that much to me but West Ham were not only Div 1 but the European Cup Winners Cup holders.

What I remember most about that great night, packed crowd, floodlights but above all that Matt Tees header past Jim Standen

Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 23, 2019, 2:14pm; Reply: 11

Yes he played and like his team was outplayed by a great Town team which should have won. Nevertheless a great player. Later that year I saw him have a brilliant game against Notts Forest. Superb.

Interesting if you go down that West Ham team sheet though to see how many of them were (relatively) local to the club.

Just looked at that Swin and you're right, all from the Greater London area ( or Essex which is still within spitting distance )  bar one.... Geoff Hurst ( who moved from Manchester to Essex when he was just six )
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 5:12am