Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 7, 2019, 8:15pm
Just thought I'd open an honest discussion about Macca.
I'd like to know people's thoughts on him as Captain and whether giving him the armband was the wrong decision.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 7, 2019, 8:27pm; Reply: 1
Is it scapegoat time?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 7, 2019, 8:31pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from ginnywings
Is it scapegoat time?

Not at all...but if you look through numerous threads Macca is not free from criticism.
It was more about me thinking he should've been club captain but not the onfield captain, that's all.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 7, 2019, 8:38pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from ginnywings
Is it scapegoat time?

I don’t think so. He’s a decent keeper at this level but making him captain makes him untouchable. The only irreplaceable player in our squad is Hess and even he lacks confidence at present.

This is another conundrum for a new manager which we clearly need.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 7, 2019, 8:40pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Not at all...but if you look through numerous threads Macca is not free from criticism.
It was more about me thinking he should've been club captain but not the onfield captain, that's all.

Fair enough. I agree with you, but it just shows the lack of onfield leaders in the team and that is down to poor player recruitment. Macca has it by default as the longest serving player IMO.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, December 7, 2019, 8:50pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from ginnywings
Is it scapegoat time?

Cardwell not involved today so something has to give.
Posted by: Croxton, December 7, 2019, 8:55pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from ginnywings
Is it scapegoat time?

Nonsense. It is just as valid to question Macca's contribution as any other player. If you went to games you would see why his form and role as skipper are an issue this season. Are there any other players we must not offend Ginny?

The mediocrity on view today raises questions of the current management and several senior players. The atmosphere today had a tinge of Jolley's last few games where poor body language, lack of movement and verbal communication were obvious. I felt then that something was wrong and it would not surprise me if the Carlisle game is Limbrick's last chance.

The January window is effectively open. Agents, managers and players are considering options and the usual turbulence will ensue.
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 7, 2019, 9:01pm; Reply: 7

More to do with how isolated a goalkeeper is from the rest of the players, so not for me
Posted by: ginnywings, December 7, 2019, 9:06pm; Reply: 8
I framed it as a question because as pointed out I haven't seen us play this season, so I cant really comment on individuals.

To be fair though, I don't need to go to know how bad we are because its been mostly like it for years ad nauseam.
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 7, 2019, 9:14pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from promotion plaice

More to do with how isolated a goalkeeper is from the rest of the players, so not for me

Although not in our case   ;)

Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 7, 2019, 9:18pm; Reply: 10
When you look at the average age of some of our first team starting 11s there is a definite need to have an outfield captain in their ear and taking responsibility Dis style. Nothing against Macca as he really cares about the club and the supporters.

Though I thought he could have done better with the first goal today he was the victim of complete anonymity of any form of defending in front of him.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, December 7, 2019, 10:44pm; Reply: 11
One bad game - really good keeper at this level. Loyal servent to the club. Great representative off the park.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 7, 2019, 11:06pm; Reply: 12
Not sure having an outfield player as captain is suddenly going to turn some of our crap players into better ones.
Posted by: Mayaman, December 8, 2019, 12:48am; Reply: 13
I think it's a bad decision.  It's nice to be rewarded for service to the club but it doesn't make you a leader.   I agree with Promotion Plaice in that he is too isolated.  When you go two goals down how can a keeper push the men forward. I think it is one of the factors we have been missing of late.  Groves and Disley were great captains who could snatch vital goals to lift the side.  Not only that, but when they weren't playing well themselves, their presence pushed the side to do so.
Posted by: moosey_club, December 8, 2019, 12:58am; Reply: 14
He can't command his own six yard box so how did they expect him to command the team?
With opponents like today who were in the ear of the ref all game we are at a distinct disadvantage.

Captain needs to be an outfield player IMO as being restricted to close to your goal doesn't allow you to be on the spot when either a calming hand on shoulder or a good fking gee up is needed
Posted by: bax, December 8, 2019, 8:56am; Reply: 15
Good teams have leaders all over the pitch. It should be that a captain is a captain in name only and it shouldn’t matter where they play on the pitch. The problem is we don’t appear - at the moment - to have enough leaders.

The experienced spine of the team - Hanson, Hess, Waterfall - all need to step up and be ‘captains’ and help the others through games regardless of who has an armband.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, December 8, 2019, 9:48am; Reply: 16
McKeown’s form this season hasn’t been up to his usual standards. His distribution has always been suspect, but his decision making and positioning seem to have deserted him. Russell is a decent enough goalkeeper and aspects of his game are superior to McKeown. Probably time to make a change and give Russell some matches.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, December 8, 2019, 9:54am; Reply: 17
Quoted from horsforthmariner
One bad game - really good keeper at this level. Loyal servent to the club. Great representative off the park.

It’s not just one bad game though is it?

Loyal servant? I remember him throwing his toys out of the pram when he was dropped in favour of Henderson back in 2016-17. And he did the same at the start of this season when we was no longer the highest earner at the club.

Doing and saying the right thing of the pitch is great. Jolley got a free ride off doing it for 18 months. However, he’s paid to play football. At the moment he isn’t producing the performances that his role (captain) and pay (joint highest earner) require.
Posted by: denni266, December 8, 2019, 9:56am; Reply: 18
I get a feeling that  he will want to be away at the end of the season contract or not. Loyalty only goes so far and no matter what job you do  you are only ever a number. Too many false dawns at this club and a footballers carear is short and you have to look after your future and family  before you end up as a bin man or amusement attendant for a living
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 8, 2019, 10:19am; Reply: 19
Quoted from GollyGTFC
McKeown’s form this season hasn’t been up to his usual standards. His distribution has always been suspect, but his decision making and positioning seem to have deserted him. Russell is a decent enough goalkeeper and aspects of his game are superior to McKeown. Probably time to make a change and give Russell some matches.

And what happened when that happened last time .. dummy spat right out
Posted by: GollyGTFC, December 8, 2019, 10:24am; Reply: 20
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

And what happened when that happened last time .. dummy spat right out

Is he irreplaceable? No. Would it free up some budget for the new manager? Yes. Would we be able to get a quality young loan keeper in? Yes.
Posted by: Yoda, December 8, 2019, 10:31am; Reply: 21
He is c only captain because they had to pay him a big contract to keep him in the summer.
Posted by: smokey111, December 8, 2019, 10:39am; Reply: 22
Yes Macca is prone to the odd flappy gaff, that is why he is in L2. Right now he deserves support and respect. It isn't like he is chucking them in the net, week in week out.

As regards being captain, to change mid season would be a real kick in the teeth. Personally, I feel you should have a centre half or centre mid as captain. Macca seems far too hyped up and is racing out getting embroiled in situations with refs and players. Almost as if he feels obligated as captain. Swap next season. Hess, Waterfall or a new experienced signing to take the arm band.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 8, 2019, 12:33pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from smokey111
Yes Macca is prone to the odd flappy gaff, that is why he is in L2. Right now he deserves support and respect. It isn't like he is chucking them in the net, week in week out.

As regards being captain, to change mid season would be a real kick in the teeth. Personally, I feel you should have a centre half or centre mid as captain. Macca seems far too hyped up and is racing out getting embroiled in situations with refs and players. Almost as if he feels obligated as captain. Swap next season. Hess, Waterfall or a new experienced signing to take the arm band.

Well, hopefully we soon get a new manager that makes sense of the situation. Personally, I don't see that a keeper/captain works but I'm not sure that there many better options in the squad.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, December 8, 2019, 12:41pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Yoda
He is c only captain because they had to pay him a big contract to keep him in the summer.

He had 2 years left on his previous contract. We could have told him to do one in the summer. We weren’t obliged to give him his new 3-year contract.
Posted by: TAGG, December 8, 2019, 1:27pm; Reply: 25
our excrement team has nothing to do with him being Captain.
Hes a good keeper for this level.
Leave the bloke be and focus on the real problem this club has had for the hast 16 or so years.
The stench of a rotten club was overwhelming yesterday.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 8, 2019, 2:02pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from bax

Good teams have leaders all over the pitch. It should be that a captain is a captain in name only and it shouldn’t matter where they play on the pitch. The problem is we don’t appear - at the moment - to have enough leaders.

I agree, I don't remember Craig Disley going around the pitch shouting instructions at players.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 8, 2019, 5:54pm; Reply: 27
Macca is as good as anyone at this level yesterday to a degree he was stitched up by our inability to defend
Posted by: The Grim Reaper, December 8, 2019, 7:42pm; Reply: 28
A bad day at the office for Macca. Move on.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 8, 2019, 7:53pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from TAGG
our excrement team has nothing to do with him being Captain.
Hes a good keeper for this level.
Leave the bloke be and focus on the real problem this club has had for the hast 16 or so years.
The stench of a rotten club was overwhelming yesterday.

The last bit is accurate which particularly upsets me
Posted by: fishboyUTM, December 8, 2019, 8:25pm; Reply: 30
Two ways of looking at it, my own preference would be a central midfielder or a centre back. But a captain in a football team isn't like a cricket captain, aside from choosing heads or tails I'm not sure it means a great deal.

I know it's a cliche but you really do need several leaders in a team and armband or not, we don't seem to have many at all.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 7:50am