Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 7, 2019, 5:03pm

Yeah I know Swindon are top but the way we lost was a major concern.

We were clueless, in fact it was embarrassing, says it all when there was ironic cheers when we got near their goal.

Get a new manager in with new ideas ASAP Mr Fenty.
Posted by: Bigdog, December 7, 2019, 5:11pm; Reply: 1
Trying very hard to be extremely grateful for not being a Bury fan..
Posted by: sapper mariner, December 7, 2019, 5:13pm; Reply: 2
to say are only tactic seams to be play a long ball we are not very good at it are we.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 7, 2019, 5:22pm; Reply: 3
Shower of shite versus a bunch of cheats that are a level above us. Tedious viewing.

Time for big changes and, dare I say, a change in goal.
Posted by: hampshiremariner, December 7, 2019, 5:22pm; Reply: 4
They should have fresh and raring to go after such a long lay off. It's like last season, wondering where the next goal is goal is going to come from, let alone the next point. Hard to seat positive when every game is the same. Need a new manager quickly and a good one.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, December 7, 2019, 5:27pm; Reply: 5
Macca not much to do but still 3 goals
Hewitt oh dear
Gibson played ok just a couple of bad errors (often left 2 against 1 in first half)
Waterfall so so
Davis OK
Clifton worked hard
Whitehouse well meh
Hess was Hess
Vernam did he play?
Green ok for 10 mins
Hanson played well but no one evr ran beyond him till 2nd half then it was rare
Subs  All on a hiding to nothing
Rose livened it up a bit and at least won the ball a few times in the Swindon half
Wright again livened it up a bit but never really had ball to run with.
Robson worked hard
Overall utterly cr@p
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 7, 2019, 5:32pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Macca not much to do but still 3 goals
Hewitt oh dear
Gibson played ok just a couple of bad errors (often left 2 against 1 in first half)
Waterfall so so
Davis OK
Clifton worked hard
Whitehouse well meh
Hess was Hess
Vernam did he play?
Green ok for 10 mins
Hanson played well but no one evr ran beyond him till 2nd half then it was rare
Subs  All on a hiding to nothing
Rose livened it up a bit and at least won the ball a few times in the Swindon half
Wright again livened it up a bit but never really had ball to run with.
Robson worked hard
Overall utterly cr@p

Macca not much to do? He dropped the first goal, got beaten from a tight angle for the third and dropped two crosses.
Posted by: forza ivano, December 7, 2019, 5:34pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Macca not much to do? He dropped the first goal, got beaten from a tight angle for the third and dropped two crosses.

But apart from that he was great!
Posted by: Madeleymariner, December 7, 2019, 5:35pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Exactly I didnt say he played well I said he didnt really have much to do (but we let 3 goals in)
Posted by: Stadium, December 7, 2019, 5:36pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Shower of shite versus a bunch of cheats that are a level above us. Tedious viewing.

Haha.
One of the usual excuses which normally is rolled out after the dodgy ref one.

Posted by: moosey_club, December 7, 2019, 5:40pm; Reply: 10
They were a cut above us in reality....but we did very little to help ourselves.
Felt sorry for the fullbacks as almost every single time Swindon came forward they had 2 v 1 in wide positions.
Posted by: Gaffer58, December 7, 2019, 5:49pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from moosey_club
They were a cut above us in reality....but we did very little to help ourselves.
Felt sorry for the fullbacks as almost every single time Swindon came forward they had 2 v 1 in wide positions.

Going back a couple of months when we beat Exeter away I bet they though we looked a cut above, now we cannot create owt, hence we're not scoring and seem to gift the opposition at least one goal a game.
Posted by: golfer, December 7, 2019, 5:58pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Always find a place in goal for your  mate- Vernham   :K) :K) :K)
Posted by: horsforthmariner, December 7, 2019, 6:08pm; Reply: 13
Macca had a nightmare. But lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Limbrick 1 draw and 3 defeats can't continue. We'll be in a relegation battle if he gets the job. (although fortunately there might be a relegation battle)

We need a new manager ASAP. I actually think this squad is better than anything we've had in the last three years and could be half decent with a few addtions. But they are playing like muppets and our younger players are getting worse not better.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, December 7, 2019, 6:22pm; Reply: 14
Macca slipped for 1st, very unfortunate, did all he could but they should have never got the header in. 2nd was shocking defending from halfwayline to our box. Then a deflection that gave him no chance. 3rd good goal, marshmallow defending again though. Clever finish but I’d be drunk to be beaten from that angle.
Issues we have do not stem from JMcK.
Hewitt awful
Whitehouse shitehouse
Vernam not at this level.
433 is simply not suited to these players, get Wright and Omar on wings in a 44 flipping 2. Get Clifton and Hess working their nuts off in the middle until we get a player in like they had in Grant who controlled the game.

Oh and if the FA want to make a change, bin VAR and change the law on timekeeping. I reckon in the second half ball was in play for about 20 minutes. They played this aspect of the game brilliantly but it was utterly tedious. We still wouldn’t have scored but hey.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 7, 2019, 6:30pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from golfer

Always find a place in goal for your  mate- Vernham   :K) :K) :K)

Stupid comment, as well you know. Other than Davis, Hess and Robson as sub, no one was good enough, though it crazes me that good footballers like Doughty and Grant need to roll around like they’ve been shot. Swindon will get promoted and, courtesy of Bury, possibly Macclesfield, we won’t go down.
Posted by: topuphere666, December 7, 2019, 6:43pm; Reply: 16
Thank the lord Bury were worse than me at managing finances! We are screwed. We look dreadful and our only saving grace this season may be the issue with Macc
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 7, 2019, 6:52pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Stupid comment, as well you know. Other than Davis, Hess and Robson as sub, no one was good enough, though it crazes me that good footballers like Doughty and Grant need to roll around like they’ve been shot. Swindon will get promoted and, courtesy of Bury, possibly Macclesfield, we won’t go down.

Oh I don't know about not going down.

I am not up to date on the Macclesfield saga but the FL won't want another club to go out. 5 points from the bottom, in a terrible run, no manager and having scored ONE home league goal since August I would say there is a very good chance of relegation unless we get our fingers out and quick.
Posted by: Maringer, December 7, 2019, 7:51pm; Reply: 18
I think I'm in agreement that we can't continue to try and play 4-3-3 with this squad. Not enough pace up in attacking areas to stretch the opposition and not enough athleticism to get up and down the pitch from full-back. Oh, and the quality of our passing is dismal most of the time. That would no doubt improve if we were to earn some results and confidence back, but the failure to find the man with so many simple passes is just awful.

Whether it's a 4-1-3-2 or a 4-5-1, we've just got to give the defence more cover, especially the way we are shipping such stupid goals. Their third was an excellent finish but nobody made any attempt to close down the players in possession and there were only ever half-arsed attempts to follow runners properly. Really poor, though the writing was on the wall following the two soft first half goals.

I bet Hanson just can't believe what's going on at present. The balls into him are terrible and he has nobody anywhere near him when he is able to challenge for the ball - the link up play between the forwards is pretty non-existent. If you're going to spend a hefty chunk of your budget on a big target man, you'd sort of hope you'd set up the team to make use of his abilities.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 7, 2019, 7:59pm; Reply: 19
I was getting sick of us backing off and backing off, nobody seemed prepared to put the foot it where it hurts.
I don't know what formation would suit the players we have but it's not 4-3-3.
Hurst, with Scunny, has gone old school 4-4-2 and I do wonder with the likes of Hewitt, who is more than capable than putting in a good ball, and Rose/Wright with their pace if resorting to 4-4- would suit us better?...
Like I said, I'm no manager but right now I'm not really sure AL is to be honest..
Posted by: MrsMariner, December 7, 2019, 8:10pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Gaffer58

Going back a couple of months when we beat Exeter away I bet they though we looked a cut above, now we cannot create owt, hence we're not scoring and seem to gift the opposition at least one goal a game.

How many minutes has Ogbu had since leading the line in that fine win ?
Posted by: Stockport Mariner, December 7, 2019, 8:16pm; Reply: 21
What the hell has happened to Ogbu? 4 goals this season. Whatever you think of him, he is a little bit unpredictable and can make things happen. He’s certainly not any worse than anyone else, but he’s not had a look in the last half a dozen games.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 7, 2019, 8:29pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Stockport Mariner
What the hell has happened to Ogbu? 4 goals this season. Whatever you think of him, he is a little bit unpredictable and can make things happen. He’s certainly not any worse than anyone else, but he’s not had a look in the last half a dozen games.

I would've played Ogbu rather than Clifton.
Love Clifton's work rate but you cannot have Hessenthaier and Clifton in at the same time, they are much of a muchness and reminds if the England days when we tried to squeeze Lampard and Gerrard into a midfield and that never worked.
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, December 7, 2019, 8:39pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Macca slipped for 1st, very unfortunate, did all he could but they should have never got the header in.

Personally I think it was absolutely excrement goalkeeping. But at least it was the one bit of entertainment for me from a Town perspective all game. Not seen wobbly legs like that on the football pitch since Grobbelaar. ;D

In Macca's defence he is a good keeper for this level, has weaknesses (he has admitted this himself) and will make the odd clanger, but what goalie doesn't I guess.
Posted by: PoutonStepover, December 7, 2019, 8:42pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Stockport Mariner

He was Jolley’s marquee signing, turns out he’s absolutely excrement. One of the highest paid players at the club so Jolley has to play him to justify his wage, no other manager will give him the time of day, I can’t see him playing anymore than handful of games for this club again.
Posted by: Grimal, December 7, 2019, 8:54pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from PoutonStepover

He was Jolley’s marquee signing, turns out he’s absolutely excrement. One of the highest paid players at the club so Jolley has to play him to justify his wage, no other manager will give him the time of day, I can’t see him playing anymore than handful of games for this club again.

And where did you get privy to that information ? the tea ladies uncles cousins best friend down at the dog n duck ?.(chat)
Posted by: buckstown, December 7, 2019, 9:15pm; Reply: 26
Well that was awful and unless something changes quickly we’re in trouble.
I’d like to think the dear leader has been beavering away behind the scenes and a new appointment is imminent. However I suspect he’s been sitting on his hands praying for a Limbrick revolution
Posted by: kevikov, December 7, 2019, 9:26pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from topuphere666
Thank the lord Bury were worse than me at managing finances! We are screwed. We look dreadful and our only saving grace this season may be the issue with Macc

That situation sounds uncannily similar to luton/bournemouth. If not this season, then its coming next.  :-/

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 7, 2019, 9:27pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from buckstown
Well that was awful and unless something changes quickly we’re in trouble.
I’d like to think the dear leader has been beavering away behind the scenes and a new appointment is imminent. However I suspect he’s been sitting on his hands praying for a Limbrick revolution

I read a comment by John Tondeur that Robbie Stockdale was at the match and is interested in the job.

That will do me - get him in on Monday. We really cannot afford to be hanging about with just 5 points separating us from the bottom, and everything, and I mean everything, in a total mess.
Posted by: PoutonStepover, December 7, 2019, 9:40pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Grimal

And where did you get privy to that information ? the tea ladies uncles cousins best friend down at the dog n duck ?.(chat)

He is in the top 5 highest paid players at the club I can assure you.
Posted by: LH, December 7, 2019, 9:40pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from kevikov

That situation sounds uncannily similar to luton/bournemouth. If not this season, then its coming next.  :-/

Last season felt like that season but we’ll be saved by other’s greater incompetence again!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 7, 2019, 10:18pm; Reply: 31
Just back from the 6 hour round trip and my view is that I can see what Limbrick was trying to do but Swindon where far too good for a set of players who are so short of confidence the only way we’d have ever got anything from this game was to go 4-5-1 and just focus on “keeping us shape” something incidentally we did really badly today.

Well we got beaten by the league leaders that happens in every tier of the game and looking at Swindon today will happen to better Teams than Town but it’s the nature of the defeat that worries me in that the players looked like they where happy to let the game pass them by.

I’m not going to single anyone out but today there where lots of instances when players could have ran into space but never did is this coaching or attitude?

4-3-3 does us no favours as our midfielders are all similar have no vision and limited ability, also that shape needs players to move into space and a squad that was pulled together to play hoof ball has not been set up for that and it will take a fair while for them to adapt.

It’s a mess at the moment on and I also think the players have got a complacent belief that as only 1 goes down they’re are two good to occupy that spot, on today’s showing a new man is required at the helm to dispel that particular myth.

UTM!!
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, December 7, 2019, 10:23pm; Reply: 32
They need a fooking good kick up the ar.se
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, December 7, 2019, 11:11pm; Reply: 33
The 2 mins added on in the first-half was not long enough for all the injuries.  More minutes added might have given us a possibility of getting into their half.

The 6 minutes added on at the end were just added torture.

I won’t comment on the match. Nothing good to say.  
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 8, 2019, 12:06am; Reply: 34
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Just back from the 6 hour round trip and my view is that I can see what Limbrick was trying to do but Swindon where far too good for a set of players who are so short of confidence the only way we’d have ever got anything from this game was to go 4-5-1 and just focus on “keeping us shape” something incidentally we did really badly today.

Well we got beaten by the league leaders that happens in every tier of the game and looking at Swindon today will happen to better Teams than Town but it’s the nature of the defeat that worries me in that the players looked like they where happy to let the game pass them by.

I’m not going to single anyone out but today there where lots of instances when players could have ran into space but never did is this coaching or attitude?

4-3-3 does us no favours as our midfielders are all similar have no vision and limited ability, also that shape needs players to move into space and a squad that was pulled together to play hoof ball has not been set up for that and it will take a fair while for them to adapt.

It’s a mess at the moment on and I also think the players have got a complacent belief that as only 1 goes down they’re are two good to occupy that spot, on today’s showing a new man is required at the helm to dispel that particular myth.

UTM!!

That is incredible support if I might say.

I have been a fanatical Town fan for 60 years, but it is getting a struggle to even travel in the 15 or so miles for each home game.

To be honest, my enthusiasm went some time ago, and I go more out of duty than enjoyment or expectation.

A bit like Ginny of this parish my patience has (almost) been exhausted.

More worryingly my son, who has supported the Mariners all his life, has said he is taking a break next season unless we get new owners.

It really is grim; nearly two decades of stagnation or regression with no end in sight. We need some hope, and quick as this feels like a slow lingering death.
Posted by: Mayaman, December 8, 2019, 1:10am; Reply: 35
The game was so frustrating.  I think we started brightly played some good moves but could't get the telling pass. The first goal made a small dent in our confidence but the second killed us.  The body language of the Town players said it all. From that moment on the game was lost. The Swindon player should have been shut down quicker but on any other day, that deflected shot could have skidded the other side of the post. That's football.  Hanson , looked up for it at the start but we should be playing to his feet to hold up and get someone alongside him.   After one ball that flew over his head, his whole body sagged.He didn't seem interested after that.   I think the scoreline flattered them a bit.  Sure, they were by the better side but we did show some promise at times.  if we'd been in a play off place and beaten by Swindon we'd say that but we are crucifying our team for losing to a really quick slick football team that added 'gamesmanship'into the mix. Who puts on a sub a minute from time when you're 3 up?!  You can see going forward the players are afraid of screwing up and when you are afraid , that's generally what happens - you screw up.  We do need a new voice to come in and give them their faith back in themselves. If you've watched Liverpool this season their confidence is so high they make their own luck. We are unable to do that at the moment. UTM!!
Posted by: cannylad68, December 8, 2019, 7:41am; Reply: 36
From what I've seen, the most outstanding problem, with this team, is the lack of pace.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, December 8, 2019, 8:43am; Reply: 37
Macca had a poor game
Hess had a poor game
Whitehouse is pointless
Green needs to be in the middle
I've asked for Vernam for months, but was poor today
Hanson must be losing his head very quickly, as we hoof it to him, he wins it, but no one near him

This team started well, this team beat Exeter away, new manager, new ideas, confidence back, and we will be fine
Posted by: TAGG, December 8, 2019, 1:19pm; Reply: 38
Says it all

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/18086903.excellent-swindon-town-humiliate-poor-grimsby-town-blundell-park-remain-top-league-two/
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 8, 2019, 1:45pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from TAGG

Can’t really argue with that report

Even mentions the derisory “cheers” for the “attempts on goal” we made around the hour mark

So much for fortress BP when our own fans are deriding our players and not the opposition. It was embarrassing to witness

Posted by: arryarryarry, December 8, 2019, 1:51pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from TAGG

I wouldn't go so far to say they were excellent, yes they were far better than us but in the main it was because we are/were so excrement.

I thought they were a moaning bunch of twits especially that little excrement no.42 Grant who went down at every opportunity and when they went easily 2-0 up they started time wasting :-/
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, December 8, 2019, 2:00pm; Reply: 41
“Lacklustre” and “Clinical” does accurately sum-up the 2 teams.  Unfortunately.  

“20 rounds of matches”  is an odd non-football description of games played.  
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 8, 2019, 7:45pm; Reply: 42

That is incredible support if I might say.

I have been a fanatical Town fan for 60 years, but it is getting a struggle to even travel in the 15 or so miles for each home game.

To be honest, my enthusiasm went some time ago, and I go more out of duty than enjoyment or expectation.

A bit like Ginny of this parish my patience has (almost) been exhausted.

More worryingly my son, who has supported the Mariners all his life, has said he is taking a break next season unless we get new owners.

It really is grim; nearly two decades of stagnation or regression with no end in sight. We need some hope, and quick as this feels like a slow lingering death.

Completely agree since Jolley arrived and left I have spent more time looking at my phone during games than ever before.

Though it’s a thorny subject I’ve also left more games early in the last 12 months than in the last 40 years.

I’m at the stage where I think it’s not worth it but I travel up to go to games with my dad who’s not in great health, lives alone and likes going even if it’s just to moan how bad we are.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, December 8, 2019, 11:10pm; Reply: 43
Jeez that's a flipping humiliating article, those in charge of the club should be ashamed to see us getting write ups like that in the press.
Posted by: Stadium, December 8, 2019, 11:57pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from arryarryarry

I wouldn't go so far to say they were excellent, yes they were far better than us but in the main it was because we are/were so excrement.

I thought they were a moaning bunch of twits especially that little excrement no.42 Grant who went down at every opportunity and when they went easily 2-0 up they started time wasting :-/

The usual excuses always come out after a defeat.

Dodgy Ref.
Time wasting.
Players going down too easy.

Wake up,it's called game management.
Posted by: gytone, December 9, 2019, 7:38am; Reply: 45
I call all of that anti-football, players going down to easy is one of the maby reasons i and a number of others have stopped going and are fast losing interest in the game, it might be the modern game, but for me it certainly isn't an improvement.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), December 9, 2019, 10:01am; Reply: 46
Quoted from gytone
I call all of that anti-football, players going down to easy is one of the maby reasons i and a number of others have stopped going and are fast losing interest in the game, it might be the modern game, but for me it certainly isn't an improvement.

Agreed, although I have Sky I hardly ever watch a live Premiership match any more due to those over paid idiots diving all over the place at the slightest touch, rolling about on the floor as if they have been hit by a double decker bus, and appealing for every throw-in, corner, penalty etc. even though they know it is not theirs.  Also the constant badgering of the referee, especially when they are trying to get the ref to red card a player.  And don't they realise how stupid they look when they do these idiotic celebrations with a teammate?  The referees need to wise up as well, some of the stuff they let go is unbelievable, especially at corners when it is a free for all in the penalty box.  And why when there is a penalty, the ref has to go to every single player and warn them about not encroaching, they are supposed to know the rules, this only wastes more actual playing time on the pitch.  I really believe that the refs waste more time than any players in the Premier League.  Oh and can anyone tell me if the 6 second rule for goalkeepers to keep hold of the ball is still an active rule?  Rant over!

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, December 9, 2019, 10:18am; Reply: 47
Game management only comes into play when your team is leading.  What we would know about that?
Posted by: chicaneuk, December 9, 2019, 10:18am; Reply: 48
Quoted from 123614

Agreed, although I have Sky I hardly ever watch a live Premiership match any more due to those over paid idiots diving all over the place at the slightest touch, rolling about on the floor as if they have been hit by a double decker bus, and appealing for every throw-in, corner, penalty etc. even though they know it is not theirs.  Also the constant badgering of the referee, especially when they are trying to get the ref to red card a player.  And don't they realise how stupid they look when they do these idiotic celebrations with a teammate?  The referees need to wise up as well, some of the stuff they let go is unbelievable, especially at corners when it is a free for all in the penalty box.  And why when there is a penalty, the ref has to go to every single player and warn them about not encroaching, they are supposed to know the rules, this only wastes more actual playing time on the pitch.  I really believe that the refs waste more time than any players in the Premier League.  Oh and can anyone tell me if the 6 second rule for goalkeepers to keep hold of the ball is still an active rule?  Rant over!

Indeed. The lack of actual sportsmanship is, unfortunately, one of the things I can't stand the most about the sport and what really puts me off at times.
Posted by: Stadium, December 9, 2019, 10:26am; Reply: 49
Quoted from gytone

Fully agree.
It's spread across all the league's.
Unfortunately teams who adopt such tactics will gain an advantage.
If you want a team to play the game in its purest form it's inevitable you are at a disadvantage in today's game.
Posted by: Stadium, December 9, 2019, 10:28am; Reply: 50
Quoted from 123614

Not just limited to the Premiership though.
To be honest the gamesmanship in La Liga for instance is far worse.
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 9:19pm