Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 3, 2019, 9:53pm

Now Jolley has gone I take it we will be recalling Vernam from his loan at Chorley next week !!!

Posted by: denni266, December 3, 2019, 10:01pm; Reply: 1
Yes and send cardwell out to get some game time
Posted by: fishboyUTM, December 3, 2019, 10:26pm; Reply: 2
He plays his last game for Chorley on Saturday I think, then I'd expect him to return fitter and hopefully ready to hit the ground running. He's scored 3 in 3 for Chorley, and done well. A lot will depend on the relationship he has with Anthony Limbrick.

I'm not certain he can fit into a 4-3-3 easily. I think he will score goals for fun in a 4-4-2 alongside a target man like Hanson. I don't think his hold up play or aerial threat is good enough to even consider him to play at the top of the three. So if you play him wide, he MUST get closer to Hanson, same the other side. And we have Max Wright coming back too so misfiring Green and Rose will be under pressure.
Posted by: chaos33, December 4, 2019, 12:55am; Reply: 3
Where does Max Wright fit into a 4-3-3?
Posted by: fishboyUTM, December 4, 2019, 5:44am; Reply: 4
Quoted from chaos33
Where does Max Wright fit into a 4-3-3?

Wide right in the forward three? No reason why not, in fact I think he’s be fantastic there. He’s really quick, especially over a few yards, and he’s got goals in him.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 4, 2019, 7:09am; Reply: 5
Quoted from denni266
Yes and send cardwell out to get some game time

Get rid, more like
Posted by: Davec, December 4, 2019, 7:14am; Reply: 6
Vernam hasn't set the world alight during his time with us but he is a much better player than Cardwell and offers so much more, I think we can all see there is a player in Vernam, he just needs to show it. Whereas with Cardwell I think we can all see that he is conference north/ south standard at best. Why the hell was Vernam allowed out on loan instead of Cardwell? I can only assume nobody wanted Cardwell.
Posted by: golfer, December 4, 2019, 7:57am; Reply: 7
I think the blame for Cardwell's non-improvement is the coaching. If he is given the right coaching and stays behind for extra work he should be ready for the 2029-2030 season
Posted by: psgmariner, December 4, 2019, 8:04am; Reply: 8
Quoted from golfer
I think the blame for Cardwell's non-improvement is the coaching. If he is given the right coaching and stays behind for extra work he should be ready for the 2029-2030 season

He will still have a few years left on his contract by then I think.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 4, 2019, 9:50am; Reply: 9
Quoted from psgmariner

He will still have a few years left on his contract by then I think.

GTFC's version of Carl Jenkinson.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 4, 2019, 10:16am; Reply: 10
Quoted from fishboyUTM
He plays his last game for Chorley on Saturday I think, then I'd expect him to return fitter and hopefully ready to hit the ground running. He's scored 3 in 3 for Chorley, and done well. A lot will depend on the relationship he has with Anthony Limbrick.

I'm not certain he can fit into a 4-3-3 easily. I think he will score goals for fun in a 4-4-2 alongside a target man like Hanson. I don't think his hold up play or aerial threat is good enough to even consider him to play at the top of the three. So if you play him wide, he MUST get closer to Hanson, same the other side. And we have Max Wright coming back too so misfiring Green and Rose will be under pressure.

We talk about team selections as if it was the 1990s and more or less the same team that started a game will finish it. With this plethora of substitutes a team can now be completely different after even 45 minutes if things don’t go to plan or form is poor.

On Vernam I am yet to be convinced there is a league player in there. He only did one full game for Chorley, scores one good goal an easy one and a penalty. Good going in some ways but somehow I think we have a dose of wishful thinking his abilities, me included.

Reading Lambrick’s interview he was saying that the pattern was 4-3-3 so all the players knew what they were supposed to be doing. That implied to me that there will be fewer changes of system during games but there would be like for like swaps if somebody is not doing the job right. Players have to fit the system not the other way round. So if Wright or Vernam or whoever cannot play effectively in a front 3 then they will not be picked.

Posted by: Abdul19, December 4, 2019, 10:32am; Reply: 11
Fairly sure it's still only 3 subs (as it has been since the mid 90s) - it's not a Sven England friendly  ;D
Posted by: marinerdazza, December 4, 2019, 10:38am; Reply: 12
For whatever reason I think Vernam's time is over. Best for everyone he goes elsewhere. And I hope he makes it.

Edit: I meant here.
Posted by: Tommy, December 4, 2019, 10:55am; Reply: 13
Wright played on the right of the front 3 at Exeter and seemed to be quite effective in that game.
No reason why that position in that system can't be a good fit for him.

Vernam is a bit of an interesting one. Some good technical ability, but the question is how much he can effect games. There's been plenty of players in the past with a great touch and good technically, but just don't have enough of an effect in games. Vernam could quite easily fall into that category, but for me it seems early to judge, because as far as I can remember he's never had a run of games with us.

In fact the only time he maybe did get 5-6 games in a row was last season when we had a decent patch just before going to Palace. And the decent patch coincided with him actually being moved wide and Embleton playing central, after they were previously the other way around, in the 4-1-4-1/4-5-1 we used at the time.
So arguably wide in a front 3 could suit Vernam as well as Wright.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 4, 2019, 11:05am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Abdul19
Fairly sure it's still only 3 subs (as it has been since the mid 90s) - it's not a Sven England friendly  ;D

Yes it is perm any 3 from 7 isn't it?

Posted by: Garth, December 4, 2019, 12:50pm; Reply: 15
Embleton  hey, now there's a player we've missed
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 4, 2019, 1:52pm; Reply: 16

We talk about team selections as if it was the 1990s and more or less the same team that started a game will finish it. With this plethora of substitutes a team can now be completely different after even 45 minutes if things don’t go to plan or form is poor.

On Vernam I am yet to be convinced there is a league player in there. He only did one full game for Chorley, scores one good goal an easy one and a penalty. Good going in some ways but somehow I think we have a dose of wishful thinking his abilities, me included.

Reading Lambrick’s interview he was saying that the pattern was 4-3-3 so all the players knew what they were supposed to be doing. That implied to me that there will be fewer changes of system during games but there would be like for like swaps if somebody is not doing the job right. Players have to fit the system not the other way round. So if Wright or Vernam or whoever cannot play effectively in a front 3 then they will not be picked.

Considering we have only scored two goals in eight League and FA Cup games non of our other forwards and tearing up any trees.

I know Green has scored a couple of crackers but is he any more effective than Vernam?  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 4, 2019, 2:42pm; Reply: 17

Two things...if it was a 28 day loan, isn't his time up at Chorley on Friday? And secondly, scoring three in three for the bottom team isn't to be sniffed at. We would be happy with 3 in 10.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 4, 2019, 3:21pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from arryarryarry

Considering we have only scored two goals in eight League and FA Cup games non of our other forwards and tearing up any trees.

I know Green has scored a couple of crackers but is he any more effective than Vernam?  

Like I said arry, good going in some ways and yes, he might benefit from a passing game. My only concern would be the way he has often faded during games, he's been subbed at Chorley too. I think a player can get away with fading out of a game providing he threatens to do a Podge and suddenly pop up with a winner. Can Vernam? I don't know so I think the jury is still out on him.

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 4, 2019, 3:50pm; Reply: 19

Like I said arry, good going in some ways and yes, he might benefit from a passing game. My only concern would be the way he has often faded during games, he's been subbed at Chorley too. I think a player can get away with fading out of a game providing he threatens to do a Podge and suddenly pop up with a winner. Can Vernam? I don't know so I think the jury is still out on him.

I've said it before, I honestly think Vernham haa found his natural level at Chorley I'm afraid.
He s injury prone at best, suffered whilst at Derby, had his problems with us too and I think his engine us suspect at best.
Technically he's very gifted, git good feet but can't do it for prolonged periods.
Kind of reminds a bit of Dom Vose...there's a player in there but just can't quite apply himself in league football.
Posted by: Croxton, December 4, 2019, 4:05pm; Reply: 20
Subbed after 83 min  and 92 min having run defences ragged and scoring. Perhaps loanees have to put kettle on for tinpot journeymen. :)
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, December 4, 2019, 4:38pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I've said it before, I honestly think Vernham haa found his natural level at Chorley I'm afraid.
He s injury prone at best, suffered whilst at Derby, had his problems with us too and I think his engine us suspect at best.
Technically he's very gifted, git good feet but can't do it for prolonged periods.
Kind of reminds a bit of Dom Vose...there's a player in there but just can't quite apply himself in league football.

While most of that is down to the player I think good management comes in to play as well though. Some managers seem to be able to get the most from their attacking players others seem never quite to get the potential from them. Vernam has natural talent as you rightly point out but I think he has suffered from a manager never quite giving him a proper position while he has been here. I
still struggle to think what position is his natural position? I would not call him a natural striker nor is he really a natural wide player. Similar to Cook in that sense.

Probably if he found a side which played three forwards who were all mobile and interchanged positions frequently then maybe he would be suited to that. Give him a bit more freedom and see if a free role suits him.

I guess we could do something like this ourselves and certainly Limbrick seems to want to play 4-3-3 and stick with it so maybe there is space for him in the side.

As you originally say though plenty of players seem to be able to do it in the conference but just cannot crack league football.
Posted by: RichMariner, December 4, 2019, 8:52pm; Reply: 22
Jury's out on Vernam until he's given a run of 6-7 games in the team, in the same position.

Can't judge him fairly until we've seen exactly what he can offer. Even the best players can have an off-day so we need to see him over a few games to really understand what he can bring to the team.

I feel for him. He's gone out on loan and done exactly what we'd have wanted him to do. He's scored goals. Doesn't matter how they go in.

Will he return and go straight back into our side? I think he's done enough (well, he's done more than any of our other strikers).
Posted by: Rik e B, December 4, 2019, 9:15pm; Reply: 23
The loans doing what was intended; get him (match) fit and firing and ready for first team action when called upon.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, December 5, 2019, 6:59am; Reply: 24
I really hope he is given a chance when he returns. I believe there is a proper player in there, much better than anything we have at the club attacking wise. Unfortunately, due to our formation, I expect he'll be wide right if he plays at all. I think he's better in a front two. It's a new start for him, and with a few games and goals under his belt at Chorley, he'll hopefully hit the ground running.
Posted by: jaf243, December 5, 2019, 1:31pm; Reply: 25
We've already asked for him back. He said he's really enjoying it and might try and extend his loan however I think that was before we decided to recall. Source: his mates from school.
Posted by: MarinerDevil, December 5, 2019, 2:35pm; Reply: 26
I'm fairly certain that when he signed he said his preferred position is a no. 10 attacking midfielder role.  We seem to have a few of those (Vernam, Cook, Robson) but haven't played a system that utilises them.  Strange recruitment.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 5, 2019, 3:44pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from jaf243
We've already asked for him back. He said he's really enjoying it and might try and extend his loan however I think that was before we decided to recall. Source: his mates from school.

Ultimately it's not up to Vernham to extend, that's the clubs decision.
As for recalling, I don't believe you can recall a loan until the end of the loan periodicity except in extreme circumstances, ie you cannot field a full team due to injury or illnesses
Posted by: Abdul19, December 5, 2019, 4:14pm; Reply: 28
Emergency loans can be recalled after 28 days (which is tomorrow), although his was only a month anyway.
Posted by: grimsbybrown, December 5, 2019, 8:30pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from MarinerDevil
I'm fairly certain that when he signed he said his preferred position is a no. 10 attacking midfielder role.  We seem to have a few of those (Vernam, Cook, Robson) but haven't played a system that utilises them.  Strange recruitment.

I think that's a good call.  When the squad was being assembled this summer I thought we were setting up for 4-2-3-1, in part because Jolley had abandoned 3-5-2.  This would fit the high-press, passing game that had been promised and fits the kind of players we have.

Is CV being played as an out and out striker at Chorley though?  Aside from the goals, how he has performed, timing of runs, creativity etc. would be something I imagine the coaching staff are looking over to see if they feel he can deliver that role in league 2.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 6, 2019, 3:07pm; Reply: 30
Comment from AL this week :-

“I’m a big Charles Vernam fan. He’s come back into training when he’s been at Chorley, and looked really sharp and very good"

“We’re looking to bring him back as soon as we can, but we’re not 100 per cent sure on what the date is on that yet"

Surely someone within the club must know the date he is due back FFS.
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, December 6, 2019, 3:19pm; Reply: 31
Accordingly to Chorely website he signed for a "month" on the 8th of November. So if that means 30 days then I guess he should be back on Monday?

In the Chorely guardian its says the following: "Vermiglio revealed loan striker Charles Vernam has been recalled by parent club Grimsby Town."

Link: [url]https://www.chorley-guardian.co.uk/sport/football/keeping-faith-has-paid-off-says-chorley-boss-jamie-vermiglio-1-10139205[/url]

So we may not know exactly when he is coming back...but we can be certain he is coming back. I think Limbrick just had a brain fart and just forgot the exact date. As opposed to nobody knowing when he is due back.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 6, 2019, 3:47pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90
Accordingly to Chorely website he signed for a "month" on the 8th of November. So if that means 30 days then I guess he should be back on Monday?

In the Chorely guardian its says the following: "Vermiglio revealed loan striker Charles Vernam has been recalled by parent club Grimsby Town."

Link: [url]https://www.chorley-guardian.co.uk/sport/football/keeping-faith-has-paid-off-says-chorley-boss-jamie-vermiglio-1-10139205[/url]

So we may not know exactly when he is coming back...but we can be certain he is coming back. I think Limbrick just had a brain fart and just forgot the exact date. As opposed to nobody knowing when he is due back.

It's not difficult, either he comes back early on a date specified by us or at the end of the loan. I would think this is the responsibility of someone on the admin side possibly the chief executive but someone should know the exact date.
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, December 6, 2019, 4:01pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from arryarryarry

It's not difficult, either he comes back early on a date specified by us or at the end of the loan. I would think this is the responsibility of someone on the admin side possibly the chief executive but someone should know the exact date.

I agree it should not be difficult. I think context needs to be applied here though. Limbrick was asked the question and he did not know the answer.

Don't think you can criticize the club if Limbrick simply forgot the date and did not want to look a mammary by saying the wrong date.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 6, 2019, 4:11pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from arryarryarry
Comment from AL this week :-

“I’m a big Charles Vernam fan. He’s come back into training when he’s been at Chorley, and looked really sharp and very good"

“We’re looking to bring him back as soon as we can, but we’re not 100 per cent sure on what the date is on that yet"

Surely it's possible that, as Jolley loaned him out, AL didn't know the exact recall date? If it was a 28 day loan then he might be back today?

Posted by: denni266, December 6, 2019, 5:36pm; Reply: 35
We must be thinking about playing him , or there is no point in bringing him back just for the sake of it
Posted by: Posh Harry, December 6, 2019, 7:33pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from arryarryarry

Jesus. Take a day off. AL is being really positive saying he likes him, looks sharp and wants to get him back, and you moan about a date.

Have a beer and chill a bit.
Posted by: Sigone, December 6, 2019, 8:03pm; Reply: 37
club confirmed he's been recalled and is in the squad for tomorrow
Posted by: golfer, December 6, 2019, 8:05pm; Reply: 38
How can 4weeks at a non league team turn him into a good player when I haven't seen him play a good game all the time he has been here. I think it's all wishful thinking taking over from reality.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 6, 2019, 8:09pm; Reply: 39
[quote=850]club confirmed he's been recalled and is in the squad for tomorrow [/quota
At least he'll be on the bench, offers something different, maybe he'll score a goal....
Posted by: golfer, December 6, 2019, 8:21pm; Reply: 40
Oh no-it doesn't mean he'll take Cardwell's place ? We all had faith in Shitehouse and look what happened to him
Posted by: Rik e B, December 6, 2019, 8:31pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from arryarryarry

“We’re looking to bring him back as soon as we can, but we’re not 100 per cent sure on what the date is on that yet"[/color][/b]

Don't the admin staff sort the red tape on such matters? I'm sure he got a general idea but didn't want to look a pleb getting it a day or two out.

Posted by: Abdul19, December 6, 2019, 9:01pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Abdul19
Emergency loans can be recalled after 28 days (which is tomorrow), although his was only a month anyway.

You're welcome, Anthony ;)
Posted by: Teestogreen, December 7, 2019, 1:08am; Reply: 43
Get Vernam back and loan Cardwell out - its obvious - always was.
Problem - who would have Cardwell - but that is not  good reason for playing him for a better player being loaned out. Sorry Harry - but that's how I see it.

UTM
Posted by: Rik e B, December 7, 2019, 5:54am; Reply: 44
If he can be recalled today, can he be in squad today?
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, December 7, 2019, 7:28am; Reply: 45
He was recalled yesterday and can be picked tomorrow. Would assume he'll be involved.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 7, 2019, 8:50am; Reply: 46
Quoted from Teestogreen
Get Vernam back and loan Cardwell out - its obvious - always was.
Problem - who would have Cardwell - but that is not  good reason for playing him for a better player being loaned out. Sorry Harry - but that's how I see it.

UTM

But at least loaning him out means he's now full of 'minutes' and ready to go (5 starts - 4 of them playing pretty much the full 90, as opposed to 1 league start all season before that)
Posted by: Rik e B, December 7, 2019, 9:35am; Reply: 47
Ta Rodley yep just seen Telewag have him in their predicted lineup 👍
Posted by: Heisenberg, December 7, 2019, 9:43am; Reply: 48
Be interesting to see if he gets some form, especially with Scunny coming soon, supposedly he supports them. These seem to be the games where players really start to pick up, but could you imagine being a player and coming up again town? Must be the strangest scenario.
Posted by: marinerdazza, December 7, 2019, 4:44pm; Reply: 49
Poor lad should have stayed there. Any confidence or enthusiasm he managed to gain at Chorley after we messed him about has now been shot again.
Posted by: toontown, December 8, 2019, 1:36am; Reply: 50
Plus, let's be honest, it's his level. He'll be playing 5th tier next season. So might town be if they don't sort themselves out.

If there's one thing we learned from his spell at Chorley it's that national league is his level, exactly like hopper.

As soon as he attempted to play league 2 level it was exactly as it always has been, a few nice touches, no real impact on the games, fade to utter anonymity where you'd forget he was on the pitch, doesn't last 90 mins.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 8, 2019, 3:35am; Reply: 51
Quoted from toontown
Plus, let's be honest, it's his level. He'll be playing 5th tier next season. So might town be if they don't sort themselves out.

If there's one thing we learned from his spell at Chorley it's that national league is his level, exactly like hopper.

As soon as he attempted to play league 2 level it was exactly as it always has been, a few nice touches, no real impact on the games, fade to utter anonymity where you'd forget he was on the pitch, doesn't last 90 mins.

On recent performances I think most of our squad are only National League level.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 8, 2019, 6:11am; Reply: 52
I'm not having a go at Vernham but, at Chorley he was played through the middle, as per usual we put him out on the right where he's completely ineffectual.
I'm sure if he was played in a 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 where he's alongside the front man you'd see what he's capable of..
And not to mention that if Messi it came to play for town he'd be like Bambi on ice within 3 games.
Playing for this club ruins players, we need a complete reboot from top to bottom but I cannot see that happening any time soon when our purse strings are held tighter than Cher's face!!..
Posted by: Ashby mariner, December 8, 2019, 7:17am; Reply: 53

On recent performances I think most of our squad are only National League level.

I think our conforence teams would beat this bunch.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, December 8, 2019, 8:03am; Reply: 54
Quoted from Ashby mariner

I have no doubt about that . I don’t think there’s a single player who would get into the NL play off team . ( except Macca and that’s only because he’s the only one left ! )
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 8, 2019, 8:11am; Reply: 55
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

I have no doubt about that . I don’t think there’s a single player who would get into the NL play off team . ( except Macca and that’s only because he’s the only one left ! )

Slightly disagree there, Hessenthailer and Wright would have added something to our non league squads...but they are the only ones IMHO.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 8, 2019, 8:35am; Reply: 56
Quoted from Ashby mariner

Well every time Amond plays against us he seems to score so that’s a proven fact IMHO

Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 2:55am