Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: moosey_club, December 1, 2019, 7:51pm
Only 7 or 8 out of the scheduled 36 old floodlights sold today in the auction, all went for exactly the same £200 which was the minimum reserve , auctioneer said they didnt set the reserve and couldn't go any lower than that.
Interest ran out by the 8th so the rest were pulled from the sale.

Not so much devaluing the product...more like over pricing the product.

Posted by: LH, December 1, 2019, 8:20pm; Reply: 1
Well that’s £1400 minus fees into the January transfer budget then.
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 1, 2019, 8:30pm; Reply: 2

I'll have one for £100
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 1, 2019, 10:41pm; Reply: 3
I was going to buy one but I saw the light and didn't bother.
Posted by: Rik e B, December 1, 2019, 10:42pm; Reply: 4
Did you have a lightbulb moment? 💡
Posted by: moosey_club, December 1, 2019, 10:50pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from promotion plaice

I'll have one for £100

i was thinking similar, registered for the auction and thought i would go upto £100...from the moment the auction started he said £200 minimum and wont accept anything less , struggled to get interest and i got the impression those happy to pay £200 just looked at each other and thought there's 36 to go at so why bother with a bidding war, you have the first one, i'll have the second one..etc.

Posted by: lee65, December 1, 2019, 11:57pm; Reply: 6
Why put a reserve on anything that has no value to anyone apart from a Town fan?
Posted by: Heisenberg, December 2, 2019, 12:37am; Reply: 7
Quoted from lee65
Why put a reserve on anything that has no value to anyone apart from a Town fan?

Firstly, I knew nothing of this auction, and secondly, who in their right mind would pay money for this junk?!!
Posted by: Kris2, December 2, 2019, 1:10am; Reply: 8
Quoted from Heisenberg

Firstly, I knew nothing of this auction, and secondly, who in their right mind would pay money for this junk?!!

It has nostalgic value to a lot of town fans, they can own a piece of the club's history forever. Who wouldn't want to own part of the floodlights that were there even from their very first match? They just don't want to pay a lot for that experience.  ;D
Posted by: Madeleymariner, December 2, 2019, 8:43am; Reply: 9
Did any Wolves fans know about the auction I wonder?
Posted by: Civvy at last, December 2, 2019, 9:11am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Looking at the amount sold I would guess 7 or 8  ;)
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, December 2, 2019, 9:20am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Madeleymariner

I do not think that they were the original Lamps/bulbs we got from Wolves.

Posted by: fishboyUTM, December 2, 2019, 9:31am; Reply: 12
The club have bored me to death over these floodlights.

Anyone see the laughable and supposedly emotion evoking video about them? The interview with the bloke that installed them? I look forward to a full interview with the plumber who fixed the taps in the main stand  ;D ;D ;D

Or the even more cringeworthy pie and peas floodlight unveiling night? Full of geeks and weirdos!!
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), December 2, 2019, 10:51am; Reply: 13
Quoted from promotion plaice

I'll have one for £100

Damn I forgot about the auction  , now we could buy them for £50. what else are they going to do with them. :-/
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, December 2, 2019, 10:53am; Reply: 14
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Anyone see the laughable and supposedly emotion evoking video about them? The interview with the bloke that installed them? I look forward to a full interview with the plumber who fixed the taps in the main stand  ;D ;D ;D

Or the even more cringeworthy pie and peas floodlight unveiling night? Full of geeks and weirdos!!

So How was the night and did you enjoy it :)
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 2, 2019, 10:57am; Reply: 15
Quoted from lee65

Because you can not devalue the product  ;D
Posted by: Stadium, December 2, 2019, 11:22am; Reply: 16
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Very odd indeed wasn't it.
It's an ancient piece of equipment which is well past its sell by date.
Publicise the auction by all means,but a reserve??
It's junk which you'll struggle to give away.
Posted by: jock dock tower, December 2, 2019, 11:22am; Reply: 17
An absolute disaster. A previous poster was right, there should not have been a reserve, and trying to sell them all as individual lots killed any thoughts of a competitive auction stone dead. They're now basically worth whatever anyone is now willing to pay, if the club goes cap in hand to anyone who wants them.

You simply couldn't make this up.
Posted by: Caveman, December 2, 2019, 12:11pm; Reply: 18
I played under the ORIGINAL LIGHTS in the mid-1950's, so at how
much would they have been valued ?.

Mind you, my eyes ain't been right ever since.
Posted by: Heisenberg, December 2, 2019, 12:48pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from fishboyUTM

I'm one of those who doesn't get nostalgia regarding stadiums  I thought the FA did the right thing in demolishing Wembley and starting from scratch.  Whilst GTFC has been a huge part of my life, and hopefully continues to be, there's no doubting that Blundell Park is a relic and needs replacing ASAP, it's just not fit-for-purpose anymore.

I reminisce about old games all the time, I'm fascinated by history, but the ground is holding us back and I don't really look upon it with any great emotion.
Posted by: spikelias, December 2, 2019, 12:58pm; Reply: 20
I got one, as with most things, it's what it's worth to the buyer. I'm sure they'll roll them out again at another auction, maybe with a lower reserve.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, December 2, 2019, 1:09pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

So How was the night and did you enjoy it :)

No, the peas were cold  ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: wigworld, December 2, 2019, 1:57pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Caveman
I played under the ORIGINAL LIGHTS in the mid-1950's, so at how
much would they have been valued ?.

Mind you, my eyes ain't been right ever since.

It's something different that's caused that, mate.

Posted by: rancido, December 2, 2019, 2:03pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from moosey_club
Only 7 or 8 out of the scheduled 36 old floodlights sold today in the auction, all went for exactly the same £200 which was the minimum reserve , auctioneer said they didnt set the reserve and couldn't go any lower than that.
Interest ran out by the 8th so the rest were pulled from the sale.

Not so much devaluing the product...more like over pricing the product.

I would have thought the whole situation would have been put in the hands of the auction house and they would have advised on the reserve. In these cases you have to be advised by the experts who deal with these things.
Posted by: Caveman, December 2, 2019, 2:57pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from wigworld

It's something different that's caused that, mate.

I wish !
Posted by: Gaffer58, December 2, 2019, 3:27pm; Reply: 25
So , if I had got one would it be possible to put it on a post in my garden, wire it up, and light up my back garden?
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, December 2, 2019, 5:00pm; Reply: 26
Maybe somebody switched the light off at the end of the tunnel?
Posted by: moosey_club, December 2, 2019, 9:58pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Kris2

It has nostalgic value to a lot of town fans, they can own a piece of the club's history forever. Who wouldn't want to own part of the floodlights that were there even from their very first match? They just don't want to pay a lot for that experience.  ;D

The other thing that put me off was that the auctioneer stated...the lights date from 90's...and no..he didnt mean the 1890's....so in reality whilst they stood at the top of the original towers they were actually a bit like Trigger's brush.

The other funny was that they said that they have ripped up the original certificates of authenticity supplied from the club as they were signed by Michael Jolley and so they they are having them re-issued.  ;D
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 10:05am