Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 28, 2019, 8:38pm
This is taken from "The real EFL for leagues 1 and 2 only" It was a piece commenting on todays AGM.

"I'm not a Grimsby fan, but I find it very hard to like Mr Fenty.

Maybe that is unfair, but his interviews always seem very confrontational and very much about him. What I really didn't like here was the line "the football club aren't precious about where it goes" when talking about a new stadium. The football club might not be, but what about the fans?

Not once are they mentioned in this. They are the lifeblood of the club. Right now there isn't a lot to get them enthused about their club and  hearing John Fenty making rather brash public statements is not going to light the fire of hope in any way at all.

I think the relationship between him and them went sour a long time ago, and the sooner everyone moves on the better."  

I think that is quite a fair summation on the current situation - the fans are the last thing anybody thinks about. No new stadium, no investment, no manager, and not a lot of hope as we bumble along in our usual league postion of 18th in League 2.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 28, 2019, 8:50pm; Reply: 1

I'm as frustrated as anyone else how things have gone under Mr Fentys tenure but I thought he explained things very well today at the AGM, the meeting seemed good natured with a bit of humour, credit where it's due.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 28, 2019, 8:58pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from promotion plaice

I'm as frustrated as anyone else how things have gone under Mr Fentys tenure but I thought he explained things very well today at the AGM, the meeting seemed good natured with a bit of humour, credit where it's due.

FFS. We’re a lower end League 2 club in a shite ground, up for sale, no manager, haven’t finished in the top half of a League table in 14 years and we’re giving out credits for a good natured AGM.

How far have we fallen?
Posted by: jonnyboy82, November 28, 2019, 8:59pm; Reply: 3
Thing is john fenty is a diehard town fan and has always imo only ever wanted the best for gtfc but that doesn't mean he hasn't made mistakes.

Lets take jolley for example, 99% of the fans wanted jolley and he appointed him so we cant always blame john for everything.

I would rather have a Mr fenty than say a certain Mr oyston.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 28, 2019, 8:59pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from MuddyWaters

FFS. We’re a lower end League 2 club in a shite ground, up for sale, no manager, haven’t finished in the top half of a League table in 14 years and we’re giving out credits for a good natured AGM.

How far have we fallen?

And your solution is ?

Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 28, 2019, 9:02pm; Reply: 5

And your solution is ?

Stop condoning mediocrity.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 28, 2019, 9:04pm; Reply: 6

Excellent.

What about the stadium, the manager, the league position, the attendance the other night, one home league goal since August and the chronic lack of investment?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 28, 2019, 9:06pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from MuddyWaters

How far have we fallen?

I've said before OC, the club is just indicative of the state of the town ..
How many employers have gone and left the area, how much as the unemployment risen?...
Our heady times came when the town was affluent, people had spare cash in the pocket...
Now we are left the hard core 3000 at best and they are leaving like flies now..
It's a viscous circle that until the town itself regenerates the club will lag behind the rest...
At the ar$e end of a road that people say it's only saving grace is it's also the road out..
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 28, 2019, 9:10pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Stop condoning mediocrity.

As I said, I thought Mr Fenty came across well today at the AGM, I also said I'm as frustrated as anyone else how things have gone under Mr Fenty's tenure, to me that was not condoning mediocrity.

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 28, 2019, 9:15pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

How many employers have gone and left the area, how much as the unemployment risen?...
Our heady times came when the town was affluent, people had spare cash in the pocket...
Now we are left the hard core 3000 at best and they are leaving like flies now..
It's a viscous circle that until the town itself regenerates the club will lag behind the rest...
At the ar$e end of a road that people say it's only saving grace is it's also the road out..

I think the town is in a lot better shape than the club!

Both could be so much better though. We need another artist impression to cheer us all up.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 28, 2019, 9:18pm; Reply: 10

There’s plenty of successful football clubs in poor areas. Clubs that have built new stadia, engage with the community, encourage support as opposed to setting the stadium manager on them, allow flasks and generally get people onside as opposed to getting their backs up.

It’s bollox to say that the club needs the town as a catalyst. Blaming the town and the area is too easy and frankly a cop out.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 28, 2019, 9:21pm; Reply: 11

We can find reasons excuses wherever we want to look. We can talk the club up and we can talk the club down. The one and only thing I agreed with Paul Hurst about was the abject failure of the board to take advantage of the promotion bounce with some investment and some innovative ideas to galvanise support. JF remains in my eyes responsible for our current position regardless of the economic turndown, Bignot, Jolley, Slade, Brexit, Corbyn, Nicola Sturgeon .......

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 28, 2019, 9:25pm; Reply: 12
[quote=3362]

I think the town is in a lot better shape than the club!

Both could be so much better though. We need another artist impression to cheer us all up.[/quot

I was going to write a long reply but got depressed when I realised just how much my beloved Great Grimsby Town has faded...Bring on the artist Impression...
Posted by: bobbyturtle, November 28, 2019, 10:18pm; Reply: 13
not precious, are question asking words
Posted by: golfer, November 28, 2019, 10:51pm; Reply: 14

Now that we have got a new council things might start to improve in the town then the club. I noticed that dog shite bin near the fitties car park was emptied.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 28, 2019, 11:02pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from golfer

Now that we have got a new council things might start to improve in the town then the club. I noticed that dog shite bin near the fitties car park was emptied.

Let's not forget the new state of the art plastic bins (combined waste) all along the prom   ;)

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 28, 2019, 11:11pm; Reply: 16
Accrington got promoted and the place isn’t seen by many people to be like Monaco.  Clubs can prosper in poor areas with good management.  
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 7:43pm