Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mariner8, November 21, 2019, 1:20pm
Just out of interest, why are people quite so against Nolan. His numbers are pretty good, he's played at a high level so should command respect from players and have decent contacts higher up. I know he doesn't play the most attractive style of football, but our squad is quite well suited to his style and I'm sure he can't do any worse than Limbrick's selection last night... Not my first choice but just curious why there's such a consensus against him? I don't see how Kewell could be considered a better option. Asking, not Stating.
Posted by: Mayaman, November 21, 2019, 2:12pm; Reply: 1
Wasn't at the helm for Notts County last season?  They went down.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, November 21, 2019, 2:25pm; Reply: 2
Players at Notts stopped playing for him
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 21, 2019, 2:33pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Players at Notts stopped playing for him

So I guess last night was pre-emptive by our lot then  ;)
Posted by: Mikoo, November 21, 2019, 3:03pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Mayaman
Wasn't at the helm for Notts County last season?  They went down.

He was manager for 5 games ffs, after getting them playoffs the season before  :-/

Not my first choice but hardly awful or at fault for the relegation
Posted by: Mariner8, November 21, 2019, 3:15pm; Reply: 5
Furthermore, about the same age as Danny Collins when we took him on... Admittedly not in as good shape, but could probably offer more creativity in midfield than we currently have. Doubt he'd reprise his player - manager role again - unless he sees dire need for it -- which one might argue we do have after last night ....
Posted by: Croxton, November 21, 2019, 4:32pm; Reply: 6
For all his leadership qualities as a player, Nolan seems a rather unsophisticated chap for these times. Two seasons ago I saw the reserves fixture at Ilkeston where our team of youths, trialists and recovering injured faced a strong County reserve team. Several first team squad and experienced players such as Mike Edwards and Alan Smith were 'encouraged'  loudly by Nolan and his assistants. Woods was on the line for us while Slade chatted in the sunshine with some scouts and took little interest in the game.
Nolan watched every ball kicked, shouting instructions from up in the stand booming out praise and criticism in the vernacular. I did wonder what the our players thought about being ignored and senior County players felt about their managers gobbiness.
We lost to a soft pen which even county staff laughed at.
Posted by: golfer, November 21, 2019, 4:41pm; Reply: 7
Didn't seem too bad when he played for us but I can't see Ipswich letting him go.
Posted by: Garth, November 21, 2019, 4:49pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Croxton
For all his leadership qualities as a player, Nolan seems a rather unsophisticated chap for these times. Two seasons ago I saw the reserves fixture at Ilkeston where our team of youths, trialists and recovering injured faced a strong County reserve team. Several first team squad and experienced players such as Mike Edwards and Alan Smith were 'encouraged'  loudly by Nolan and his assistants. Woods was on the line for us while Slade chatted in the sunshine with some scouts and took little interest in the game.
Nolan watched every ball kicked, shouting instructions from up in the stand booming out praise and criticism in the vernacular. I did wonder what the our players thought about being ignored and senior County players felt about their managers gobbiness.
We lost to a soft pen which even county staff laughed at.

Read all that and still not a clue what your point is
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, November 21, 2019, 5:01pm; Reply: 9
Weren't their rumours about his extracurricular drinking habbits at the time of his sacking as part of the reason for his dismissal?
Posted by: Croxton, November 21, 2019, 5:05pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Garth

Read all that and still not a clue what your point is

Yes, a little rambling perhaps.

Things went wrong at County. Could part of the reason have been his man management?
Posted by: Rik e B, November 21, 2019, 7:16pm; Reply: 11
That he showed more passion and interest at the reserves than Slade.

Slade not a great barometer though!

And if he likes a tipple then we'd do well to avoid a drinking culture creeping over the squad again ala Newell.
Posted by: Bignic69, November 22, 2019, 12:02pm; Reply: 12
4/5 on with skybet. On the basis of what?
Posted by: RichMariner, November 22, 2019, 12:09pm; Reply: 13
There isn't a lot of money in the market, so a little dabble by someone will have swung the odds in his favour. It won't be anything to do with Sky Bet knowing something we don't.

Maybe the person who made the bet knows something we don't.

Bookies don't make a lot of money in new manager markets at this level. They literally do it so they get mentioned in news articles to boost their brand recognition.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 22, 2019, 12:13pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from RichMariner
There isn't a lot of money in the market, so a little dabble by someone will have swung the odds in his favour. It won't be anything to do with Sky Bet knowing something we don't.

Maybe the person who made the bet knows something we don't.

Bookies don't make a lot of money in new manager markets at this level. They literally do it so they get mentioned in news articles to boost their brand recognition.

this - look how pete Wild is now down to 6-1 from the 20-1 i got yesterday. never knew how much effect my 50 p would have! :)
Posted by: topuphere666, November 22, 2019, 2:38pm; Reply: 15
Why do people still believe the betting markets. With management appointments it’s heavily dictated by where the money goes rather than inside knowledge.
Posted by: RichMariner, November 22, 2019, 2:49pm; Reply: 16
I reckon if anyone sticks a fiver on, say, Craig Shakespeare being the next Town manager then he'll immediately come in to something like 12/1 from 16/1.
Posted by: BackHeelTony, November 22, 2019, 2:50pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from topuphere666
Why do people still believe the betting markets. With management appointments it’s heavily dictated by where the money goes rather than inside knowledge.

Yes but what do people with inside information do?!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 22, 2019, 2:59pm; Reply: 18
4We might be better with William Shakespeare.  He would be a dead-cert for the job.  There would also be no rants about the local media or complaints  about the budget.  (Although RH might dig-up the story again).
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 22, 2019, 3:40pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
4We might be better with William Shakespeare.  He would be a dead-cert for the job.  There would also be no rants about the local media or complaints  about the budget.  (Although RH might dig-up the story again).

Would it be A Comedy Of Errors or All's Well That Ends Well or does it depend on As You Like It?

Posted by: golfer, November 22, 2019, 3:57pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Just had £2 on the bard-at 20/1- he is now co-fav. with Charles Dickens and J.K.Rowling.
Posted by: friskneymariner, November 22, 2019, 4:33pm; Reply: 21
Could end up being a tragedy.
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), November 22, 2019, 4:51pm; Reply: 22
Get ready for an influx of Danish players.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 22, 2019, 6:26pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from 140381

Well it can't be Hamlet, no smoking in football grounds now.

Posted by: golfer, November 22, 2019, 7:00pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from 140381

Ted Butters  Frank Bacon Tom Bi-cycle
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 22, 2019, 7:02pm; Reply: 25
We might be entering the winter of our discontent.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 22, 2019, 7:15pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
We might be entering the winter of our discontent.

That happened 17 years ago!!!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 22, 2019, 10:19pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Well he'd be dead.

So he wouldn't go off on a rant at the local radio station. He wouldn't muck around with the formation or tinker with the team. Nor would he ask for more money.

Fenty wants his number.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 22, 2019, 10:36pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Well he'd be dead.

So he wouldn't go off on a rant at the local radio station. He wouldn't muck around with the formation or tinker with the team. Nor would he ask for more money.

Fenty wants his number.

This is all very well but has he got a UEFA licence?

Posted by: Rik e B, November 23, 2019, 12:53am; Reply: 29
Ahh buddy.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 23, 2019, 3:07am; Reply: 30
This thread is now much ado about nothing
Posted by: Croxton, November 23, 2019, 8:22am; Reply: 31
Would Scunny derby be Agincourt for Shakey's  'band of brothers'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvFHRNGYfuo
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 23, 2019, 11:29am; Reply: 32
Weren't their rumours about his extracurricular drinking habbits at the time of his sacking as part of the reason for his dismissal?

Massively so. I work in Nottinghamshire, many of my customers are County fans and they warn against him. He was on the sauce, maybe not to Mike Newell levels, but he was on it. And I for one have seen enough of this prehistoric long ball nonsense. I want to see the ball on the grass and being played through midfield, and heaven forbid maybe some crosses from wide areas to our massive target man striker who loves getting on the end of them. Nolan is a big no from me.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 23, 2019, 5:01pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Croxton
Would Scunny derby be Agincourt for Shakey's  'band of brothers'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvFHRNGYfuo

Instead we get the version of Kenneth playing Wallander.

Incidentally, I don't remember that irritating soundtrack last time I watched that clip. Must be the version for the American market.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 3:08am