Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, November 20, 2019, 10:28pm
Evening Fishy-friends, flipping dreadful that wasnt it. And the subsequent reaction to it from myself has convinced me i need to take some time away from things. Been suffering with mental health conditions for some time which have been getting gradually worse, one thing that keeps you going is routine- in my case- routine is Town. But recently been losing interest in that and becoming more and more erratic as we get nowhere as a club. Tonight i was embarrassed, and ashamed to support us. We were that bad, i felt a great detachment from the club. Almost pitied us and after ranting expletives at home and on social media, realising its doing me no good. Something that i love, the club, is actually a hindrance to my health. So ive decided to take some time away from the Fishy, just whilst i try and get myself back on track, will not be going to the game this weekend. Think its a sad situation when something means so much to you that it starts to add more stress to your life as it doesnt do what you want. Footballs meant to be about enjoyment and im not getting that at the moment. So hope to see you all and join in debates soon. Hopefully the club willl be in a much better place. hagrid
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 20, 2019, 10:30pm; Reply: 1
Sounds like the right move. Enjoy the break and get better soon. It is only shitty flipping football at the end of the day.
Posted by: sydney, November 20, 2019, 10:31pm; Reply: 2
Good Luck Hagrid
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 20, 2019, 10:31pm; Reply: 3
Look after yourself H....think there could be more than would like admit feeling your pain with you, certainly after tonight's showing ..hope to see you sooner rather than later back on the fishy forum.  
Posted by: ginnywings, November 20, 2019, 10:35pm; Reply: 4
Get well Hagrid. Stress and depression is a ba$tard.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 20, 2019, 10:35pm; Reply: 5
I understand where you're coming from Hagrid

We invest so much of our time and emotion in to supporting Town ( and a lot of money too )

If you're struggling with things then maybe it's a wise move to step  back for a while until hopefully things have turned around a bit for you and the club

Good luck and take care
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 20, 2019, 10:37pm; Reply: 6
Having a relative who suffers from depression I feel for you.

I hope you get over this and feel better soon.
Posted by: Shipwrecked In Gainsborough, November 20, 2019, 10:38pm; Reply: 7
Dreadful times for all, difficult to see any light at  the end of this epic Fenty tunnel.  The club is in complete shambles, so sad. God knows what will happen next, but " something " NEEDS " to happen. This is an insult to the history of Grimsby Town, such a shame.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 20, 2019, 10:38pm; Reply: 8
Hagrid, you have my sympathy. Feel a bit guilty for giving you a hard time. Sorry.

It gets to us all. Have a break and come back refreshed.
Posted by: Marinerz93, November 20, 2019, 10:41pm; Reply: 9
Sorry to hear about your state of mind and how you are feeling Hagrid, I appreciate the way you are feeling but I would say that isolating yourself from a potential network of friends and support isn't the way to go. Sure take a back seat for a while but keep in touch either through the odd post or via pm's.

Hopefully you are being counselled, if not please consider getting some help. Often with mental health there are certain things that can trigger an issue and through support you get to spot what those triggers are and how to deal with them.

I hope you get the help you need and remember the fishy family are always here to support you, take care buddy.  
Posted by: heppy88, November 20, 2019, 10:41pm; Reply: 10
After spending the better part of 3 years with anxiety and depression, I too felt that detachment from the club, having missed the final 6 home games of last season despite being a season ticket holder.  But after receiving some intensive treatment in August of this year I can honestly say I'm feeling much better. I wanted to share this because I know what it's like to feel hopelessnes, but there can be light at the end of the tunnel.
Posted by: toontown, November 20, 2019, 10:42pm; Reply: 11
Understandable. But the footy, even Town, can be good for mental health if u use it to meet up with people, let off some steam and don't let the excrement performances get to u. However I know that can be easier said than done! Hope ur back with us soon
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 20, 2019, 10:44pm; Reply: 12

Come back when you are ready mate, for what it's worth I've suffered with panic attacks on a regular basis for over thirty years so I fully understand.
Posted by: Maringer, November 20, 2019, 10:48pm; Reply: 13
Taking a breather from much of the web is a good thing, especially when it comes to social media /forums.

When your team is doing crap, you end up not just moaning about it after the game for an hour or two, but also continue into the following day and week.

I'm sure a break from this nonsense will do some good.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 20, 2019, 10:51pm; Reply: 14
Depression is a horrible thing  as I have known for the last 15- 20 years,

Sorry that I have upset you on here Hagrid and I hope you return soon and let your fishy friends help you through to better times.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, November 20, 2019, 11:03pm; Reply: 15
Take care haggers.  Make sure you get the support you need
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 20, 2019, 11:04pm; Reply: 16
Dreadful that your “positive release” with Town has not helped your health and actually had the opposite impact.  Sensible then to take a break and recover/re-group.  Also a shame that the dire football is forcing this issue.

I hope that you recover and improve over time.
Posted by: Rik e B, November 21, 2019, 1:32am; Reply: 17
I sometimes take a self imposed hiatus from the Fishy and media when it gets me bogged down, can be needed to come back with a refreshed vigour. Get well
Posted by: lukeo, November 21, 2019, 7:03am; Reply: 18
Sorry to hear of your state of mind Hagrid and hope to see youu back on here soon.

I stayed logged out for a few weeks on here until this week due to all the negativity and thought 'surely its not that bad' but then i watched last night and thought 'oh excrement it's even worse' so i had to post and rant. Hope to see you back on here soon Hagrid
Posted by: Fishy clapper, November 21, 2019, 9:12am; Reply: 19
That lasted long
Posted by: Mallyner, November 21, 2019, 9:34am; Reply: 20
Take care mate, depression is a terrible thing.

Most people who support a club, rely on them to provide something uplifting to raise the spirit, which can affect the whole area. I'm afraid there is little at the moment coming from our beloved Mariners, but hopefully it won't be too long coming back.  :)
Posted by: crusty ole pie, November 21, 2019, 10:57am; Reply: 21
Best wishes Hagrid hope your able to return soon, although not unwell at the moment can fully understand your situation.
I missed the home cup game cos I could not stand the thought of feeling depressed after a game which watching last night confirmed my actions
We live in hope that the good times may one day return but after 20 years of constant decline one starts to question yourself
Utm
Posted by: marinerjase, November 21, 2019, 11:21am; Reply: 22
There’s no right or wrong answer or response to this. Affects a lot of people in differing ways. My release valve -after years of avoiding folk - was going to football. But it was more about meeting up with a couple of people beforehand rather than what was happening on the pitch. I stopped going after that fans forum debacle other year, in protest. And in all honesty, although I follow online/listen on radio - I haven’t missed it. Mainly because it felt more like a chore rather than something I wanted to do. Been back a handful of times but it’s not the same. Once you stop going the habit is easily broken.

As said everyone is different. Take time out/aside but don’t cut yourself off - I have/did - not the best way. Keep contact with those you value, take an interest in something/anything to stop mind wandering, keep active, get time socially, even if just for an hour a week. Don’t take anything on message boards/social media to heart - irrelevant- only opinion of yourself you should be bothered about is those you care for/about. (Really don’t understand the constant moaning about red crosses on here - for that reason. Though it is a feature that doesn’t add anything/contribute, and it could be argued - could add to the mindset of someone who’s struggling, if they are that way inclined)

Anyway - hope you get back to feeling better soon Hagrid.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 21, 2019, 12:24pm; Reply: 23
It is worth making the point that clinical depression is completely different from feeling bad about a crapp football team.  Depression is also far worse, even though this can be hard to understand for  many people.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 21, 2019, 10:31pm; Reply: 24
Just caught up with this due to health issues in my own family so I fully sympathise with your plight. Football and by extension the Fishy are leisure activities we do in our spare time. Normal life and the people around you are vastly more important. Come back when it feels right, you'll know if and when the moment arrives, but in the meantime get the help you need.
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 21, 2019, 10:47pm; Reply: 25
There but for the grace of....go any one of us. Been there as well, and manage mental health issues fairly well now (retiring helps!) Best of luck with getting back on track, because it will come.
Posted by: Rik e B, November 22, 2019, 5:37am; Reply: 26
The grass is greener my brother, live in hope of a brighter day. And trust me, that day will come, and you can look back with a wry smile. There's always hope.
Posted by: thornemariner, November 22, 2019, 6:36pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
I understand where you're coming from Hagrid

We invest so much of our time and emotion in to supporting Town ( and a lot of money too )

If you're struggling with things then maybe it's a wise move to step  back for a while until hopefully things have turned around a bit for you and the club

Good luck and take care

I have a lot of empathy and hope you get better soon Hagrid. Alcohol addiction  led me into some very dark places and I never thought I would come back into the light. That was many years ago and I couldn't go to games for a few seasons because I associated going to games with some of the worst of my drinking. I did get back though and never thought myself as less of a fan during my absence as the club still occupied a special place in my heart. Always will.

More recently and my dad had a stroke which led to vascular dementia. That was awful for him and for me. I was coming over from Donny for games and throughout the week to see my dad and would go to the game on a Saturday afternoon to relieve all that stress. Sadly it was during the last months of Slade Mark 2 and going to the matches made me feel even worse and I wouldn't have thought that possible. Had that continued I would have had to stop going. It was great seeing friends but dreadful watching the team play. On balance, I was better off not going and that isn't to think less of my wonderfully supportive friends and you were one of them Tim.

Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 8:32pm