Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 19, 2019, 2:00pm
Perhaps a bit of a bog standard replikit ground, but their new ground progressing nicely.

If only eh....

https://www.facebook.com/102674514441/posts/10157253698849442?vh=e&d=n&sfns=mo
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 19, 2019, 2:32pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Perhaps a bit of a bog standard replikit ground, but their new ground progressing nicely.

If only eh....

https://www.facebook.com/102674514441/posts/10157253698849442?vh=e&d=n&sfns=mo

As a ‘leisure complex’ it’s impressive with the swimming pool and gym etc, but as a football venue I think it’s terrible, the epitome of tinpot.
Posted by: marinerdazza, November 19, 2019, 2:34pm; Reply: 2
It's opposite Marks & Spencer on a retail park miles out of York.

I thought it was a distribution centre the other day when I was up there.

Looks nothing like a football ground.
Posted by: Fishy clapper, November 19, 2019, 4:01pm; Reply: 3
They been on eBay for them seats?
Posted by: GYinScuntland, November 19, 2019, 4:11pm; Reply: 4
If we end up with a ground like that I hope it's only because we've dropped three fcuking divisions.
Posted by: Dogger Bank, November 19, 2019, 5:53pm; Reply: 5
I sincerely hope we don't end up with a ground like that. It's awful.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 19, 2019, 6:27pm; Reply: 6
What a horrible little place. Bootham has character, decent sized as well and central to the city. That little monstrocity they've built will cement their place in non league football, it's all they want if that's acceptable. All about income streams I suppose, but surely the focus has to be on the football.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 19, 2019, 6:39pm; Reply: 7
What is all the coloured seats about ?

It made my eyes go funny.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, November 19, 2019, 6:43pm; Reply: 8
I’d rather stay at BP forever than have a ground like that
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 19, 2019, 6:48pm; Reply: 9
Amazing what you can do with a wide angle lens. ;D

Is this the consolation prize for being non-league or the price of relegation? I always liked Bootham, easy to get to and a nice day out.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 19, 2019, 6:52pm; Reply: 10
Expected to be named the LNER Community Stadium York.  Hope LNER don’t go out of business.

Cue jokes about more delays ( the stadium is years late), playing in straight-lines and being on track etc.

Getting the Duke of York (Prince Andrew) to open the stadium has resulted in even more abuse.

Still, they have about finished something that we have not even planned! 😓😓
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 19, 2019, 7:10pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from GYinScuntland
If we end up with a ground like that I hope it's only because we've dropped three fcuking divisions.

Well the relegation bit could be arranged.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 19, 2019, 8:34pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Heisenberg

As a ‘leisure complex’ it’s impressive with the swimming pool and gym etc, but as a football venue I think it’s terrible, the epitome of tinpot.

I've been in far worse grounds.
Posted by: Rik e B, November 19, 2019, 8:37pm; Reply: 13
Far worse brand new grounds?
Posted by: heppy88, November 19, 2019, 8:56pm; Reply: 14
Wow amazed at some of the negativity / arrogance on here. It's a smart ground and ample for York's needs / attendance. It's the supporters / team performance that create atmosphere. Rather be in a stadium like Yorks, packed to the rafters surrounded by fellow Mariners, than surrounded by loads of empty seats and silence. Sometimes less is more.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 19, 2019, 9:09pm; Reply: 15
i see they have gone for the splatter colour approach to the seating, optical illusion so its harder to notice when the ground is half empty.

Posted by: moosey_club, November 19, 2019, 9:12pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Expected to be named the LNER Community Stadium York.  Hope LNER don’t go out of business.

Cue jokes about more delays ( the stadium is years late), playing in straight-lines and being on track etc.

Getting the Duke of York (Prince Andrew) to open the stadium has resulted in even more abuse.

The way things are going he might be serving a little stretch by then.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 19, 2019, 9:18pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Rik e B

Glumford Park, Salford.

Not quite sure what some expect from a team in National League North.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 19, 2019, 9:20pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Rik e B

For a new ground, forest green's new lawn is shocking. It fits their needs but is sh1te.

Posted by: Rik e B, November 19, 2019, 9:28pm; Reply: 19
Has Randy Andy caught wind of the knicker sniffing event at BP?
Posted by: carrot top, November 19, 2019, 9:58pm; Reply: 20
Just Tinpot - sorry but would not be happy if we had a ground like that. Smacks of low league a bit like Telford
Posted by: RichMariner, November 19, 2019, 10:11pm; Reply: 21
I don't want to sound snobbish but honestly I wouldn't want to watch Grimsby play in a stadium like that.

Even if it's packed to the rafters, I can't imagine it being intimidating for any visiting team or its fans. It just looks grey, boxy and, seats apart, boring.

Not a fan of open corners. Looks great as a community leisure complex and I get its wider function, no problems with that.

Selfishly, for football, it just doesn't look inspiring at all.

If we're going to invest millions of pounds into a new stadium and redevelop the local community then I'd like to hope we could build something a bit more iconic.

Then again, we aren't close to laying a brick so well done York for delivering something.
Posted by: scrumble, November 19, 2019, 10:18pm; Reply: 22
I understand  clubs at this level don't have a lot cash to splash making it look amazing, but you'd think the architects could have put a little more thought in to it to give a little bit of character without it ramping up the cost.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 19, 2019, 11:46pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from scrumble
I understand  clubs at this level don't have a lot cash to splash making it look amazing, but you'd think the architects could have put a little more thought in to it to give a little bit of character without it ramping up the cost.

The York stadium complex cost 44.2 million!!!
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 19, 2019, 11:57pm; Reply: 24

Never been but from what I have seen I would like our new stadium to be something like the New York Stadium
Posted by: Poojah, November 20, 2019, 5:21am; Reply: 25
To put it into context, York are currently plying their trade in the National League North and in terms of facilities and modernity this ground will almost certainly be the best at that level if not the level above (Fylde might argue differently). But that’s not really the point.

When I go to the football, how pristine the toilets are or whether the concourse has tellies in it doesn’t really define my day. The stadium’s array of conferencing facilities certainly doesn’t.

They’re moving from a characterful stadium, minutes’ walk from a fantastic, historic city centre with great pubs / restaurants and brilliant public transport links. As an away day, York is (for the time being) truly unique. They’re moving to a functional if modern stadium devoid of soul or personality, plonked on a truly dismal retail park miles from anything you’d want as a football supporter on a day out; I can get a Boots meal deal during the week if I’m desperate.

This stadium may well work out for the club commercially, but that doesn’t mean that fans will like it. I want Town to get their new stadium as much as the next man, but I pray our future doesn’t look anything like this.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 20, 2019, 7:09am; Reply: 26
The 90s seem to be very fashionable at the moment. Good to see York are on trend with this out of town plastic offering.  

After the break, a garish goalkeeper top.
Posted by: Jackie Lewis, November 20, 2019, 10:11am; Reply: 27
I wouldn’t mind something like this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myresjöhus_Arena
12,000 capacity with 2000 safe standing
Probably cost a fortune to build but that’s where Mr Shute comes in
Posted by: Jackie Lewis, November 20, 2019, 10:16am; Reply: 28
https://sv.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myresjöhus_Arena

Hope this link works
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 20, 2019, 10:24am; Reply: 29
Quoted from arryarryarry

Glumford Park, Salford.

Not quite sure what some expect from a team in National League North.

On reflection you are probably right but the club was still in the league when this project was planned and designed.

It's almost as though they got relegated to suit the stadium.

Posted by: Ipswin, November 20, 2019, 10:37am; Reply: 30
Quoted from promotion plaice

Never been but from what I have seen I would like our new stadium to be something like the New York Stadium

Well I reckon you'll have to get used to it being just like York or Colchester (of course there is the distinct possibility that no one on here will live to see it anyway)

Posted by: Ipswin, November 20, 2019, 10:39am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Jackie Lewis

Probably cost a fortune to build but that’s where Mr Shute comes in

Or goes out having found his £4.50p wasn't enough

Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 20, 2019, 2:35pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Bigdog

The York stadium complex cost 44.2 million!!!

Unbelievable Jeff!!  ::)

Seriously that is an exceptional sum of money.... how on earth have YCFC funded that??  ??)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 20, 2019, 2:37pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

I wonder if The Dupe of York has been in touch with Fergie asking to how to play with kids and end up a winner?  :P

Old red nose of MUFC I mean.... not his toe-sucking ex Mrs   ;)
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 1:45pm