Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: chaos33, November 18, 2019, 5:37pm
John Fenty on Radio Humberside Sportstalk this evening from 6pm -7pm.
Posted by: pizzzza, November 18, 2019, 5:39pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from chaos33
John Fenty on Radio Humberside Sportstalk this evening from 6pm -7pm.

Yikes, he's on for an hour?
Posted by: denni266, November 18, 2019, 5:49pm; Reply: 2
Will be the usual 2 mins at the end of the show
Posted by: dicko995, November 18, 2019, 6:17pm; Reply: 3
Just hope he doesn't swear, cant do with any more drama this week :)
Posted by: Croxton, November 18, 2019, 6:21pm; Reply: 4
on now!

Confirmed MJ applied for other jobs.
Posted by: Fishy clapper, November 18, 2019, 6:26pm; Reply: 5
Notts county replay, this in the checkatwat?
Posted by: Fishy clapper, November 18, 2019, 6:33pm; Reply: 6
Punch drunk
Ducks in a row
All said and done x8
Posted by: pizzzza, November 18, 2019, 6:33pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Fishy clapper
Punch drunk
Ducks in a row
All said and done x8

Wherewithall
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 18, 2019, 6:37pm; Reply: 8
Exciting times ahead very soon....heard that before I'm afraid!!...
Posted by: Grimal, November 18, 2019, 6:38pm; Reply: 9
Has anyone got a direct line to JF, just let him know we are playing at Newport County on wednesday night. ;) Don't want him turning up at Meadow lane. :)
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 18, 2019, 6:39pm; Reply: 10

Humberside don't have a copy of the Jolley audio.
Posted by: Alfie, November 18, 2019, 6:42pm; Reply: 11
Seemed to hint heavily Jolley went for an interview at Lincoln - what a great, loyal guy he is...

...or a PR man who got found out and slung!
Posted by: Cayman_mariner, November 18, 2019, 6:43pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from promotion plaice

Humberside don't have a copy of the Jolley audio.

And President Clinton "Did not have sexual relations with that woman".
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, November 18, 2019, 6:44pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Grimal
Has anyone got a direct line to JF, just let him know we are playing Newport County on wednesday night. ;) Don't want him turning up at Meadow lane. :)

Or maybe we do?!
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 18, 2019, 6:49pm; Reply: 14
Jolley must have been desperate to get out because he was never getting that job!
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 18, 2019, 6:59pm; Reply: 15
I put on another thread, some 2 weeks ago I'd been told about MJ applying for the Lincoln job but in typical fishy fashion I was shot down in flames....
Can't help it but the thought of Jolley has now left a very bitter taste in my mouth ..should've been remembered for being the hero after keeping us in the league, right now I personally think he's down right snake who sold us a pup with his political style interviews and sharp suits...
Over to limbrick and Co now,  hope Dave Moore has got into them too...maybe limbrick didn't have as much say as we thought and be interested to see how he sets the team up...hopefully he knows the difference between square and round shapes!!...
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 18, 2019, 7:00pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Alfie
Seemed to hint heavily Jolley went for an interview at Lincoln - what a great, loyal guy he is...

...or a PR man who got found out and slung!

What was the job kit man at the new training ground
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 18, 2019, 7:02pm; Reply: 17

JF on Sports Talk......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07vc5zn
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 18, 2019, 7:02pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
I put on another thread, some 2 weeks ago I'd been told about MJ applying for the Lincoln job but in typical fishy fashion I was shot down in flames....
Can't help it but the thought of Jolley has now left a very bitter taste in my mouth ..should've been remembered for being the hero after keeping us in the league, right now I personally think he's down right snake who sold us a pup with his political style interviews and sharp suits...
Over to limbrick and Co now,  hope Dave Moore has got into them too...maybe limbrick didn't have as much say as we thought and be interested to see how he sets the team up...hopefully he knows the difference between square and round shapes!!...

I really hope dave Moore is having a big say in things
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 18, 2019, 7:09pm; Reply: 19
Jolley applying for other jobs? I think he's a bit narcissistic TBH.  

I thought JF came across o.k. and like last nights piece at least he's put it out there.  
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 18, 2019, 7:17pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from promotion plaice

Thanks for that PP.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 18, 2019, 7:21pm; Reply: 21
This recording has damaged Jolley's stock big time. His Twitter profile gives off this stellar image of an absolute gent because he blocks any risk of negativity against him but scratch beneath the surface and it begins to unravel.

The mishap in Scotland, his disagreement with the board in Sweden, his outburst against journalists and the budget given to him by the board. Tonight you can add confirmation that he was talking to other clubs behind our backs despite telling us all how we are going for it this year.
Posted by: Poojah, November 18, 2019, 7:32pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from jamesgtfc
This recording has damaged Jolley's stock big time. His Twitter profile gives off this stellar image of an absolute gent because he blocks any risk of negativity against him but scratch beneath the surface and it begins to unravel.

The mishap in Scotland, his disagreement with the board in Sweden, his outburst against journalists and the budget given to him by the board. Tonight you can add confirmation that he was talking to other clubs behind our backs despite telling us all how we are going for it this year.

I don’t think the idea he was applying for other jobs is all that surprising; people of all walks of life do that on the off chance they may be able to accelerate their career (although I do get that it’s slightly different when you are the figurehead of a football club).

That said, I agree he’s going to have trouble in finding a new role in professional football management. Many managers carry baggage but the ones who continue to find gainful employment are the ones who have sufficient tangible success on their CV to offset it.

Does Jolley? Time will tell, but at this moment in time by gut feeling is ‘no’. Do I feel sorry for him? I did when the news broke on Friday, but perhaps now it seems as though the mask has merely slipped.
Posted by: chaos33, November 18, 2019, 7:33pm; Reply: 23
Well done the person who red crossed me for telling fellow town fans that JF was on the radio tonight. Cretin.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 18, 2019, 7:35pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Poojah

I don’t think the idea he was applying for other jobs is all that surprising; people of all walks of life do that on the off chance they may be able to accelerate theuir career (although I do get that it’s slightly different when you are the figurehead of a football club).

That said, I agree he’s going to have trouble in finding a new role in professional football management. Many managers carry baggage but the ones who continue to find gainful employment are the ones who have sufficient tangible success on their CV to offset it.

Does Jolley? Time will tell, but at this moment in time by gut feeling is ‘no’. Do I feel sorry for him? I did when the news broke on Friday, but perhaps now it seems as though the mask has merely slipped.

Slade is still working!

There's hope for us all!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 18, 2019, 7:37pm; Reply: 25

I was one who doubted it Northbank so I’d just like to apologise mate. I think what’s come out in the last few days underlines how utterly deluded he was to think he could do a bigger job.

If people under the radar knew Jolley was looking at other things I’m sure the players did which might explain some recent form. If Dave’s involved in setting the team up I’m sure it will be as simple as possible.
Posted by: psgmariner, November 18, 2019, 7:40pm; Reply: 26
I didn’t believe he applied for the Lincoln job either. I’m still struggling now! They must have a good chuckle when his one page CV arrived.
Posted by: denni266, November 18, 2019, 7:45pm; Reply: 27
Never been a fan of JF, but he cane across very well tonight, Thought he sounded a bit embarist to have to apolagise for the club and it is my view that Jolley should have been doing that first., And for once with regards to the sale and new ground thing, he seems to be in control of what is happining and what way to turn if things dont work out eithr way.  He came across as realy wanting some success on his watch, accepting that things had not been great under his watch.
Posted by: Poojah, November 18, 2019, 7:47pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Slade is still working!

There's hope for us all!

It’s a valid point, but Slade can at least point to the fact that he has managed at all levels of the game from Conference North to The Championship, with a series of (admittedly failed) play-off final appearances with unfancied sides along the way.

What’s a Jolley got? A relegation in Sweden, two lower third League Two finishes and then a ‘mutual consent’ parting of ways whilst in a similar position under an embarrassing PR cloud. That’s a harsh assessment of his achievements I know, and I don’t think it tells the whole story, but there’s nothing there which isn’t factual.

Still, he’s not having the worst week in the world of PR. Perhaps he can blame his outburst on an overdose of adrenaline sustained being shot at by Louis Robles (he missed, naturally).
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 18, 2019, 7:53pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from psgmariner
I didn’t believe he applied for the Lincoln job either. I’m still struggling now! They must have a good chuckle when his one page CV arrived.

Lincoln board: "So Michael, your footballing CV is very short. What your reason for leaving Sweden?"

MJ: "The board were an absolute f*****g disgrace!"

Lincoln Board: "So you next rocked up down the A46 at Grimsby, saving them from relegation. You mentioned in your application that now is the opportune moment to move on. Why is that?"

MJ: "The board are an absolute f*****g disgrace. Matt Dean is antagonistic and that Burns, is an absolute f*****g disgrace. My mate Rob Staton is a straight shooter though. Back to the question though, do you know where my budget ranks in the f*****g league? Because of me they aren't playing f*****g Barnet or Braintree.

Lincoln Board: "We were going to ask you about your time in Scotland, but I suppose that wasn't your fault either?"
Posted by: Rik e B, November 18, 2019, 7:58pm; Reply: 30
It rung bells as real to me just by looking at how the player's seemed to have lost their purpose. Yeah there was the chopping and changing but it was clear there was a deeper disillusionment going on
Posted by: LH, November 18, 2019, 8:03pm; Reply: 31
He’d like Radio Lincolnshire’s coverage. It’s more like Radio Pyongyang.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 18, 2019, 8:03pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I was one who doubted it Northbank so I’d just like to apologise mate. I think what’s come out in the last few days underlines how utterly deluded he was to think he could do a bigger job.

If people under the radar knew Jolley was looking at other things I’m sure the players did which might explain some recent form. If Dave’s involved in setting the team up I’m sure it will be as simple as possible.

No apologies needed bud, I've doubted plenty in here myself in the past...
Where I agree is that the drop off in results coincided with him applying for the job....
Saud at the time I wondered if it had git round the dressing room and the players had lost any respect and didn't want to play for him, which lets be honest, some of those signings signed on the dotted line because of his spin.  
Posted by: chaos33, November 18, 2019, 8:09pm; Reply: 33
Ah Michael. I’m still sad about what’s happened because I really liked and believed in you but you let us down with performances, you let us down with disloyalty and you let us down with unprofessionalism. Are you regretting all this now?
You made a proper mess. What a way to repay those who backed you.
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, November 18, 2019, 8:16pm; Reply: 34
It does seem things are beginning to make more sense. At the start of the season (Aug) the team looked like they would die for each other. The commitment was immense resulting in several comebacks that we would not have been capable of last season. What stuck out for me was 5-2 at home to Port Vale Hanson was still chasing after their centre backs despite the game being well in the bag.

A month and a bit later he was barely winning a header. There is no doubt to me that if this news got out amongst the squad it would have a severe impact on form.

But what was he thinking? Why on earth would Lincoln want him at this stage of his career? Bonkers, cost himself a career in management possibly.  
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 18, 2019, 8:17pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from chaos33
Ah Michael. I’m still sad about what’s happened because I really liked and believed in you but you let us down with performances, you let us down with disloyalty and you let us down with unprofessionalism. Are you regretting all this now?

Absolutely 100% chaos...
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 18, 2019, 8:23pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from chaos33

If anything good comes out of this I hope it is that more people, especially Town fans and maybe board members too, will be more cynical and distrusting of people clever at promoting themselves on social media and using the media to create their image. A lot of fans were taken for a ride IMO because the club was in dire straits and he seemed the only option. Desperation as much as anything made people understandably blind to the obvious and angry at anyone who expressed criticism of the appointment.

Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, November 18, 2019, 8:24pm; Reply: 37

I think you got bit of abuse partly because nobody could imagine Jolley was that type. Certainly when you posted that message none of us hand the faintest idea of his antics over the past couple of months. Pressure clearly got to the guy. Which is odd considering the pressure at the very start of his tenure.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 18, 2019, 8:25pm; Reply: 38
I have to say that JF seems to have handled both the incident and the subsequent fallout very well. He stated that he had a very close relationship with Jolley and he must be fuming that this happened, particularly the active search for another job.
As for Mr Jolley, he’s made himself look very silly and his departure statement looks like a series of very hollow words.
Posted by: mimma, November 18, 2019, 8:27pm; Reply: 39
I too would like to apologise to you North Bank Mariner for doubting you on here.

In my defence 99.99%  of stories on here are fiction, so you become conditioned to doubting them all. Law of averages says that there will be one true story every now and then!

Sorry mate
Posted by: jonnyboy82, November 18, 2019, 8:29pm; Reply: 40
Throw the baby out of the bath water
Moneybags
Competitive budget
Punch drunk
Posted by: Rik e B, November 18, 2019, 8:29pm; Reply: 41
On a positive note, if the new broom can boost morale with an 'in it together' mentality plus keep it stupid simple on the training ground and on the pitch then there's no reason why we can't easily recapture early season form.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 18, 2019, 8:30pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Throw the baby out of the bath water
Moneybags
Competitive budget
Punch drunk

Last night he'd pushed the boat out and moved the goal posts.made me wonder if he was thinking of establishing a water polo team ;)
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, November 18, 2019, 8:32pm; Reply: 43
I suppose when you look at his CV he's been at a lot of clubs in a fairly short career, doesn't seem to stay anywhere too long. Maybe he's just one of those always looking towards the next appointment types.

Truth is this was the big job for him, not the next one and it's gone now. Don't reckon there be other suitors, deeply disappointing all round.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, November 18, 2019, 8:33pm; Reply: 44
Oh and because i mentioned that maybe its time we needed the change not even directly to Michael jolley on my twitter he went out his way and blocked me out of the blue.

So strange as he seemed to have blocked alot of people on twitter who said similar, trawling through twitter looking for anything to do with him and blocking them.

Really seen a different side to the bloke over the last few days.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 18, 2019, 8:34pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from mimma
I too would like to apologise to you North Bank Mariner for doubting you on here.

In my defence 99.99%  of stories on here are fiction, so you become conditioned to doubting them all. Law of averages says that there will be one true story every now and then!

Sorry mate

Again mimma, no apology needed, you are right that a lot ift what's spouted is nonsense and I kind of expected no body to really believe my statement.
The only reason I believed it at the time was because it came from someone who's very, very close to a member of the current playing squad, so at that time the players were already aware of MJs intentions....
Posted by: LH, November 18, 2019, 8:38pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Oh and because i mentioned that maybe its time we needed the change not even directly to Michael jolley on my twitter he went out his way and blocked me out of the blue.

So strange as he seemed to have blocked alot of people on twitter who said similar, trawling through twitter looking for anything to do with him and blocking them.

He doesn’t need overly positive people in his life, Jonny.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 18, 2019, 8:42pm; Reply: 47

Seeing as people are apologising on this thread, I'd like to profusely apologise for posting a while back that we should give Jolley a longer contract than the alleged six month rolling   :B
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 18, 2019, 8:54pm; Reply: 48
Another interesting question, well to me anyway, which I haven’t seen raised elsewhere is given MJ’s previous career with both Burnley and Palace, albeit that was a while ago, that we never had, or were linked with having any loan players from these clubs.

Must admit given his time at Burnley I fully expected a couple of their younger players to join us but this never materialised and just seemed very odd to me.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 18, 2019, 9:01pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I got blocked by him and his Mrs never tagged either of them never had a personal dig just expressed my views and frustrations with the utter pony we’ve been seeing on the pitch, clearly he was/is pretty self absorbed.
Posted by: RichMariner, November 18, 2019, 9:19pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I got blocked by him and his Mrs never tagged either of them never had a personal dig just expressed my views and frustrations with the utter pony we’ve been seeing on the pitch, clearly he was/is pretty self absorbed.

I was an advocate of Jolley, always backed him and stuck up for him on here. Like most fans I shared some occasional and general frustrations on Twitter.

Blocked.

I don't understand the mentality, it just seems petty. Why bother being on social media if all you're gonna do is block everyone? He'd not tweeted since June before he posted his departure statement.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 18, 2019, 9:25pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I got blocked some time ago over questioning team selection where I’d tagged Anthony. He didn’t block me but the Jolleys did. Maybe he just hasn’t got the mental fortitude for the job or more likely, don’t understand that putting yourself on Twitter leaves you open to criticism.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 18, 2019, 9:26pm; Reply: 52
It doesn't surprise me that Jolley was looking elsewhere. Probably started when we were doing ok.

He would have known the proposed takeover had stalled; he has a non chairman who has achieved nothing with the club, and knew in his heart, as I do, that the club is going precisely nowhere.

I would imagine there is a lot more to all this than we are privvy to, but given Fenty's penchant of falling out with people it would not surprise me if that was in the mix as well.

Until we get new owners we are stuffed.

Posted by: moosey_club, November 18, 2019, 9:28pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Another interesting question, well to me anyway, which I haven’t seen raised elsewhere is given MJ’s previous career with both Burnley and Palace, albeit that was a while ago, that we never had, or were linked with having any loan players from these clubs.

Must admit given his time at Burnley I fully expected a couple of their younger players to join us but this never materialised and just seemed very odd to me.

Hendrie, Ali Koki , Whitmore off the top of my head with the Burnley connection.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 18, 2019, 9:38pm; Reply: 54
It doesn't surprise me that Jolley was looking elsewhere. Probably started when we were doing ok.

He would have known the proposed takeover had stalled; he has a non chairman who has achieved nothing with the club, and knew in his heart, as I do, that the club is going precisely nowhere.

I would imagine there is a lot more to all this than we are privvy to, but given Fenty's penchant of falling out with people it would not surprise me if that was in the mix as well.

Until we get new owners we are stuffed.

All well and good but I don’t want the club sold to any Tom, Richard or Harry and it’s clear that JF wants to move on. The club is in a better financial position than it’s been for some time and there are clearly clubs with lower budgets above us in the table. Time to move on and get behind AL and the team.
Posted by: toontown, November 18, 2019, 9:46pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I got blocked some time ago over questioning team selection where I’d tagged Anthony. He didn’t block me but the Jolleys did. Maybe he just hasn’t got the mental fortitude for the job or more likely, don’t understand that putting yourself on Twitter leaves you open to criticism.

i wonder if he does not have ability to deal with the pressure that management in even the bottom rung of the EFL brings, his rant suggests so.

Scouring twitter for any negative comments about performances (not ones tagging him in) is truly bizarre in his role. I would suggest there were better things to do with his time that may have helped deal with what was causing the negative comments.

I was an advocate for jolley until recently but i really do think we are better off without him and i would be surprised if he manages at EFL level again.
Posted by: sam gy, November 18, 2019, 9:58pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from moosey_club

Hendrie, Ali Koki , Whitmore off the top of my head with the Burnley connection.

Ali Koki played one trial game for us, didn’t he? Don’t think that counts.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 18, 2019, 10:16pm; Reply: 57
2 things that struck me from tonight.
Firstly there was a distinct change in tone from Fenty.in the freeview interview ,which I'm guessing was recorded on Saturday, he seemed regretful and had some sympathy with him regarding radio humberside. However tonight he was far more 'aggressive ' regarding jolley. I wonder if hed learnt a few more things in the time period between the 2 interviews?
The other thing was how effusive he was about bringing in young/new/ non league managers. Just wonder if that's the road he'd quite like to go down ( in contrast he said next to nothing about promoting from within)
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, November 18, 2019, 10:25pm; Reply: 58
Thought JF came across very well.  Usual Fentyisms and odd words but an honest interview.
Also credit to RS for his part in an informative conversation
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 18, 2019, 10:33pm; Reply: 59
Thought JF came across very well.  Usual Fentyisms and odd words but an honest interview.
Also credit to RS for his part in an informative conversation

Maybe it's just me but I thought JF laid it on just a bit thick with his intro with RS.... how they'd never met before and how well they got on

Perhaps I'm just getting old and cynical but it sounded a bit disingenuous.... almost like how a politician sucks up to the media

It was overall an interesting statement by JF about the current situation.... I'll wait and see how this all pans out before getting off the fence though

As for JF hoping to have found someone in the media he can develop a relationship with, this one won't last as RS is moving back across from RH to work for Look North at the end of this month

That'll mean a new sports editor in place at RH so it'll be interesting to see if the media relationship reverts to type.... the old rather fractious one
Posted by: Rik e B, November 18, 2019, 10:41pm; Reply: 60
These are the only times I suffer for not having TV licence 😖
Posted by: moosey_club, November 18, 2019, 10:41pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from forza ivano
2 things that struck me from tonight.
Firstly there was a distinct change in tone from Fenty.in the freeview interview ,which I'm guessing was recorded on Saturday, he seemed regretful and had some sympathy with him regarding radio humberside. However tonight he was far more 'aggressive ' regarding jolley. I wonder if hed learnt a few more things in the time period between the 2 interviews?
The other thing was how effusive he was about bringing in young/new/ non league managers. Just wonder if that's the road he'd quite like to go down ( in contrast he said next to nothing about promoting from within)

Generally cheaper to employ, generally they will have been use to a smaller budget so no immediate budget complaints, any unemployed managers right now have proven to be a failure in their last job, we sit 18th in league 2,  have spent all the playing budget for this season ...........
so in a nut shell, we are not exactly an attractive proposition for any of the other 84 managers currently employed and doing better than we are right now.
As cynical an assessment as that is, a Hurst/Scott type appointment would be our best bet IMO, someone who has minimum 5-6 seasons experience maybe, promotions on their C.V ideally , or a proven record of year on year improvement or a track record of progressing their stock.

We may have received a "mountain" of applications already but i would imagine a good proportion could be heading for the file labelled B1.N  

Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 18, 2019, 10:49pm; Reply: 62
I am expecting to hear more from Jolley. This leak was bad for him but add the stuff in the interview and it’s killed his management career. Now with very little to lose I think he might fire a few shots of his own.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 18, 2019, 10:51pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I am expecting to hear more from Jolley. This leak was bad for him but add the stuff in the interview and it’s killed his management career. Now with very little to lose I think he might fire a few shots of his own.

Guess it depends on whether he received a pay off that stipulated he keeps things under wraps

If he was just allowed to leave without signing any confidentiality agreement then I think you may well be right
Posted by: Rik e B, November 18, 2019, 10:53pm; Reply: 64
Yes I forsee that. The mutual consent thing was his attempt to keep this all swept under the carpet and his reputation somewhat intact. It truly in tatters now
Posted by: Alfie, November 18, 2019, 10:54pm; Reply: 65
People are being very dramatic about Jolley. I was appalled by what he said but football is fickle and if he can come back from the ‘other’ parts of his past, this is nothing.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 18, 2019, 10:54pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from moosey_club

Not the point I was making. Given MJ’s time at Burnley with their U23’s I would have expected that as a club they would look favourably at loaning  players to one of their former employees in order to aid their development.

Just doesn’t add up to me but others may view differently or more likely couldn’t give a monkeys!!
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, November 19, 2019, 6:43am; Reply: 67
Fenty does speak in quite an odd way!

Still would rather him representing the club than our beloved departed Michael!

My favourite part of the interview last night was when discussing previous appointments, he mentioned Hurst, Slade, Buckley, Laws and even Jolley, but didn’t give Marcus Bignot a mention!
That made me chuckle
Posted by: Chrisblor, November 19, 2019, 9:53am; Reply: 68
Add me to the list of people unknowingly blocked by him on twitter. I'd never directly tagged him in any tweets so it's very weird if he's been going out of his way to name search or read the #gtfc hashtag to find and block anyone even remotely critical of him.
Posted by: BenBB, November 19, 2019, 12:03pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Rik e B
These are the only times I suffer for not having TV licence 😖

Don't need a TV license for radio
Posted by: mimma, November 19, 2019, 12:07pm; Reply: 70
What interested me was how he explained that the financial fair play rules meant that we could only spend half the money we made from last years cup run this year and the rest next year.

Baffling!!
Posted by: Ipswin, November 19, 2019, 1:04pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from forza ivano

The other thing was how effusive he was about bringing in young/new/ non league managers. Just wonder if that's the road he'd quite like to go down

A bit like Michael Jolley you mean?

Posted by: White_shorts, November 19, 2019, 2:14pm; Reply: 72
I thought I heard Mr Fenty say that he "struggles to see how" a docks stadium can happen, and so he would be prepared to work with the Freemen and council to build a new ground at Freeman Street.
Posted by: Tommy, November 19, 2019, 2:50pm; Reply: 73

To be fair, we don't know that he did apply for the Lincoln job. No clubs have been named.

Anyhow, assuming he did apply for the Lincoln job as rumoured, I still can't work that one out. Surely MJ would've worked out that they'd have been aiming higher than a bottom half League Two Manager who's only achievement in football was keeping us up a couple of years ago (might sound harsh but that's the reality of his CV to a prospective new employer). And if you're already in employment, surely you'd only go for jobs that you'd be pretty confident you'd have a good chance of getting.

I don't particularly mind a Manager applying for another job. We'd all do it in our own careers to try and better ourselves or earn more money. But it might be a bit different if he was applying for jobs left, right and centre, making it look like he was desperate to get out.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 19, 2019, 3:04pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Ipswin

A bit like Michael Jolley you mean?

i think he actually said that Jolley was left field appointment and that he wouldn't rule out another such manager. can't be arrsed to go through it again though, so may be wrong!
Posted by: Ipswin, November 19, 2019, 4:16pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from forza ivano

i think he actually said that Jolley was left field appointment and that he wouldn't rule out another such manager.!

Bloody hell I hope not, at least appoint someone who's played the game!

Posted by: pen penfras, November 19, 2019, 6:15pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from mimma
What interested me was how he explained that the financial fair play rules meant that we could only spend half the money we made from last years cup run this year and the rest next year.

Baffling!!

That's not how I heard it, and it goes in the pot of "eligible income", so only 50% is available. What I found interesting is that we can spend last year's income on this year's budget.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 19, 2019, 7:06pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from pen penfras

That's not how I heard it, and it goes in the pot of "eligible income", so only 50% is available. What I found interesting is that we can spend last year's income on this year's budget.

Thats because we dont know this years income yet till the end of the year, so effectively its always about a year behind i assume but what is considered a year could be June to June, a tax year or a calender year i certainly dont know.
Posted by: Rik e B, November 19, 2019, 7:16pm; Reply: 78
Sensible really, we all know what happened when we spent our expected income before getting it... (ITV Digital collapse disaster)
Posted by: moosey_club, November 19, 2019, 9:23pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Who shot JF ?  
Posted by: Rik e B, November 19, 2019, 9:27pm; Reply: 80
Radio Hull don't really like us, they Hull-centric of course. Just get on with it, rise above. We could defect to Radio Lincolnshire but then we'd face the same but instead Lincoln-centric.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, November 19, 2019, 9:41pm; Reply: 81
I honestly don't think they are purposely pessimistic, we average just under one win in three at this level so more often than not their questioning a losing manager.

Town being dire for 15 years is hardly RHs fault.
Posted by: rancido, November 20, 2019, 11:26am; Reply: 82
Quoted from Ipswin

Unlike another Lawrie Mac?
Posted by: Ipswin, November 20, 2019, 11:31am; Reply: 83
Quoted from rancido

Unlike another Lawrie Mac?

Who had managed a FL club before arriving at Town despite not being up to his ears in obviously easily attainable UEFA licences and whose most off the wall idea was to take the lads down dock. You Tube coaching and tactics videos based on a win over Malmo did not enter old Lawries head

Please note it is my fault Jolley didn't cut it! He just wasn't up to it and the brave experiment of employing someone with fancy ideas but zero experience did not work.We cannot afford to do that again
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 20, 2019, 2:50pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from Ipswin

Who had managed a FL club before arriving at Town despite not being up to his ears in obviously easily attainable UEFA licences and whose most off the wall idea was to take the lads down dock. You Tube coaching and tactics videos based on a win over Malmo did not enter old Lawries head

Please note it is my fault Jolley didn't cut it! He just wasn't up to it and the brave experiment of employing someone with fancy ideas but zero experience did not work.We cannot afford to do that again

Maybe it did, maybe it didn't.... he'd kept us in the league for two seasons and was taking us the same way for a third season, which is what most of us would have wished for before he came to the club

Admittedly he didn't deliver any promotions which might be the yardstick of success, but we turned over a profit in his time here ( thanks to last season's cup run I suspect )

And while he didn't deliver promotions in his time with Town of the four managers who achieved that distinction last season ( bearing in mind MJ was never going to get us promoted in 2018 ;)  ), the Cowleys have moved on, Tisdale has been sacked, Bury have gone bust altogether so only Micky Mellon is still in situ.

I know you never wanted Jolley in the first place Swin and he never convinced you in to being a fan of his but when all's said and done, I'd rather have the survival he provided ( whether that was through luck or not ) than be out of the league which we might have been if things had not gone according to his plan
Posted by: White_shorts, November 24, 2019, 3:28pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from White_shorts
I thought I heard Mr Fenty say that he "struggles to see how" a docks stadium can happen, and so he would be prepared to work with the Freemen and council to build a new ground at Freeman Street.

That part of the interview was repeated on Wednesday before the Newport game. Mr Fenty seemed to say there should be positive news about a new stadium in the near future. I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned it.

I suppose it could be BS to placate supporters who are unhappy with recent results.

Posted by: MarinerMart, November 24, 2019, 3:37pm; Reply: 86
AGM this week .... dare we hope for some news? lol 🤭🙈
Posted by: rancido, November 24, 2019, 7:41pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from Ipswin

Swin, I was merely responding to a poster who wanted the new manager to be somebody who had played the game professionally. I don't necessarily regard  this as a critera but the poster I replied to did. That poster was you!
Posted by: Bigdog, November 24, 2019, 7:58pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from White_shorts

That part of the interview was repeated on Wednesday before the Newport game. Mr Fenty seemed to say there should be positive news about a new stadium in the near future. I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned it.

I suppose it could be BS to placate supporters who are unhappy with recent results.

His exact words..

"Will there be a takeover or not.. irrespective of that, the football club will be moving forward very very quickly with relocation, If it isn't the Fish Dock, and I struggle to think it can be, then we will move quickly to pursue Freeman Street and get something into the ground as soon as possible. So exciting times.."
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 24, 2019, 8:23pm; Reply: 89
So, does Mr Fenty get to chose where he wants the new ground, what if those in charge of Freeman Street aren't interested.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 24, 2019, 9:30pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from rancido

Swin, I was merely responding to a poster who wanted the new manager to be somebody who had played the game professionally. I don't necessarily regard  this as a critera but the poster I replied to did. That poster was you!

And I still regard that as a vital criteria. Whilst you clearly do not surely it would have been sufficient for you to simply say you disagreed rather than going out to prove me wrong by quoting Lawrie Mac (who as far as we were concerned was a one season wonder anyway)

My reply was intended to show that he had previous management experience, another vital thing IMO so suffice it to say I'd like both in our next manager rather than a banker who clearly had none of the necessary attributes, an ex player who couldn't manage a Sunday league team or a Sunday league (or Conference) manager who hasn't played the game

Chances are of course someone with no idea of Football League management and / or playing the game (but with all the coaching badges) will get the job because he'll be cheap

Posted by: Rik e B, November 24, 2019, 9:41pm; Reply: 91
I'd like someone who's had success building a squad and getting a club on a positive spiral, even if they still newish to management game or from non-league.

We can't be risking ex-players, former pros or whatever who have no proven tracked record of building a comerady and success inducing atmosphere along with a bit of tried and tested tactical nous.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, November 24, 2019, 9:45pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from Ipswin

Why is that important though Swin?

Not a dig my friend, just interested that's all.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 24, 2019, 10:37pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Why is that important though Swin?

Not a dig my friend, just interested that's all.

It is possible for a Nigel Adkins to become a decent manager but I think they have to have experience of working in the pro game even if not playing it. Nevertheless such a manager will be in the minority simply because of the number of ex-players wanting a career in coaching and management.

Player management is a huge part of the job and the psychology of a testosterone filled pro dressing room is not the easiest to deal with. It is really unlike any other working environment. In spite of the increased number of coaching courses and qualifications and sports science advances, in the end the manager’s job is to get every player to perform above the level they thought they were capable of. That is a very person to person situation. To do that without the experience of previously living as a pro player is going to be very difficult. On top of that the manager has to be tactically adaptable and able to fit players into his system.

Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, November 25, 2019, 9:01am; Reply: 94
If the Freeman st bosses weren't intrested they wouldn't have produced plans with a stadium in the middle of it
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 25, 2019, 6:23pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from Bigdog

His exact words..

"Will there be a takeover or not.. irrespective of that, the football club will be moving forward very very quickly with relocation, If it isn't the Fish Dock, and I struggle to think it can be, then we will move quickly to pursue Freeman Street and get something into the ground as soon as possible. So exciting times.."

That is a mixed blessing.

Yes it would be great to re-locate but it would be disappointing if the current board oversee it. Does anyone have any faith they would make a proper job of it?
Posted by: moosey_club, November 25, 2019, 7:36pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from Gaffer58
So, does Mr Fenty get to chose where he wants the new ground, what if those in charge of Freeman Street aren't interested.

As he is the majority shareholder of the club, has the club by its b@lls by effect of his loans , is deputy leader of the council and portfolio holder in charge of housing & regeneration of the council then i would think he holds nearly all the cards to unlock a solution.....the only thing missing is the money to do it.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 25, 2019, 8:03pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from moosey_club

As he is the majority shareholder of the club, has the club by its b@lls by effect of his loans , is deputy leader of the council and portfolio holder in charge of housing & regeneration of the council then i would think he holds nearly all the cards to unlock a solution.....the only thing missing is the money to do it.

Done deal.. JF has already asked Corbyn for one of his spare billions..
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 25, 2019, 8:52pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from Bigdog

Done deal.. JF has already asked Corbyn for one of his spare billions..

Trouble is Corbyn wants to tax the rich, I think Mr Fenty's comes into this bracket.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 28, 2019, 5:11pm; Reply: 99
Interesting tweets from John Tondeur yesterday - rather wonder whether the infamous MJ rant was a good excuse for Fenty to get rid
Posted by: Brazilnut, November 28, 2019, 5:14pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from forza ivano
Interesting tweets from John Tondeur yesterday - rather wonder whether the infamous MJ rant was a good excuse for Fenty to get rid

I have no way of seeing tweet.....care to expand
Posted by: oochiad, November 28, 2019, 5:21pm; Reply: 101
Yes please share.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 28, 2019, 6:30pm; Reply: 102
https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnTondeur. Is the link. Says that neither he not Matt Dean made a formal complaint, sounds like it was more of a moan to 2 directors
Posted by: pen penfras, November 28, 2019, 7:11pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from forza ivano
https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnTondeur. Is the link. Says that neither he not Matt Dean made a formal complaint, sounds like it was more of a moan to 2 directors

What do you mean moan to 2 directors?
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, November 28, 2019, 7:13pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from pen penfras

More stirring by our wonderful local radio station? If it wasn't a complaint, then why did they send the video to the club?

Where does it say that? So far as I know, no one has much idea who leaked the recording. Do they?
Posted by: pen penfras, November 28, 2019, 7:25pm; Reply: 105

Where does it say that? So far as I know, no one has much idea who leaked the recording. Do they?

I hadn't read the tweet when I replied. Turns out there were lots more people in the room, so I removed my comment. Didn't know you could read twitter without an account
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 28, 2019, 8:33pm; Reply: 106
Well someone called Tony Mitchell seems to think it was JT who leaked the recording.

"Only the dummy you spat out & the tell tale attitude of an over spoilt school kid that cost someone his job.  grow a pair. Crawl back under your stone with Burnsy & co."

Obviously not a fan of Radio Humberside.

Not sure if that comment was bordering on libelous if untrue?
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 28, 2019, 8:43pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from pen penfras

"More stirring by our wonderful local radio station? If it wasn't a complaint, then why did they send the video to the club?"

Radio Humberside don't film the after match interviews.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 28, 2019, 8:58pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from arryarryarry
Quoted from pen penfras

"More stirring by our wonderful local radio station? If it wasn't a complaint, then why did they send the video to the club?"

Radio Humberside don't film the after match interviews.

Does it really matter who sent a video, leaked an audio recording?..
What's done is done, Jolley has moved on and as a club and fans so should we.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 28, 2019, 9:47pm; Reply: 109

It matters if you are accusing someone of doing it when they didn't.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 28, 2019, 10:13pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from pen penfras

What do you mean moan to 2 directors?

He said in 1 of his replies that he spoke to the 2 mariners trust directors about it, but he didn't view that as a complaint
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 29, 2019, 1:20pm; Reply: 111

Was there a video of MJ's rant doing the rounds then?

I saw the tweet on Twitter that had the audio link ( where an account was seemingly set up and then de-activated once it was out in the public domain )

All very cloak and dagger but given the previous RH take on this, plus JT's own tweet, yesterday, there are fewer and fewer suspects left who could have leaked this

Oooh... I do love a game of Cluedo   ;)
Posted by: Ipswin, November 29, 2019, 1:36pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from arryarryarry

It matters if you are accusing someone of doing it when they didn't.

I know exactly how they feel

Posted by: Civvy at last, November 29, 2019, 1:38pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from Ipswin

I know exactly how they feel

Oh bless. Do you need a hug ? 🤗
Posted by: Ipswin, November 29, 2019, 2:07pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from Civvy at last

Oh bless. Do you need a hug ? 🤗

No just some cooperation from the moderator on here

Posted by: golfer, November 29, 2019, 4:56pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I saw the tweet on Twitter that had the audio link ( where an account was seemingly set up and then de-activated once it was out in the public domain )

All very cloak and dagger but given the previous RH take on this, plus JT's own tweet, yesterday, there are fewer and fewer suspects left who could have leaked this

Reverend Green was seen coming out of the toilet with Miss Scarlet. She had something in her hand-could it have been a camera ?
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 29, 2019, 5:09pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from golfer

Reverend Green was seen coming out of the toilet with Miss Scarlet. She had something in her hand-could it have been a camera ?

If the Reverend Green had a smile on his face it might have been something else in her hand.
Posted by: Meza, November 29, 2019, 6:39pm; Reply: 117

I'm sure I read somewhere that ex Lincoln echo reporter Rob Makepiece works for RH or GET (and was due to work for another company after a few months in the role at RH / GET) he did all the Lincoln commentary.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 29, 2019, 8:19pm; Reply: 118
Quoted from Meza

I'm sure I read somewhere that ex Lincoln echo reporter Rob Makepiece works for RH or GET (and was due to work for another company after a few months in the role at RH / GET) he did all the Lincoln commentary.

So are you suggesting it was him who leaked it?
Posted by: Meza, November 29, 2019, 9:51pm; Reply: 119
not at all, JT tweet mentioned about the room being full of people (i'm trying to play along with cluedo), I have no idea who attends or is present at these interviews pre and post match, maybe RH, GET, GTFC who knows.  :-/
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 30, 2019, 12:22am; Reply: 120
It’s all a bit Fishy*. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of Jolley’s behaviour and whether or not it’s a relief that he’s gone. The recording published just starts with Jolley in full flow. No one kicks off like that without provocation.

(I admit I shouted at the wife and lost my rag but she did start the evening off with saying something incredibly stupid 😄)

* so perhaps it was Rob or one of the mods
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 30, 2019, 4:26am; Reply: 121
Quoted from KingstonMariner
It’s all a bit Fishy*. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of Jolley’s behaviour and whether or not it’s a relief that he’s gone. The recording published just starts with Jolley in full flow. No one kicks off like that without provocation.

(I admit I shouted at the wife and lost my rag but she did start the evening off with saying something incredibly stupid 😄)

I was told that he walked into the press room and started his rant straight away and the press guys just stood there bemused.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 30, 2019, 4:35am; Reply: 122
Quoted from Meza

Wrong Rob.

Rob Staton joined Radio Humberside from Radio Sheffield last season if I remember correctly but has recently left to join Look North Sports Dept. I believe.

And in that rant MJ suggested Rob was a decent bloke unlike the rest of them :X
Posted by: rancido, November 30, 2019, 2:38pm; Reply: 123
Quoted from golfer

More like the Reverend Green's lead piping!
Posted by: toontown, November 30, 2019, 3:18pm; Reply: 124
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I would guess the 'provocation' was another abject display and getting crucified 4-0 at home.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 3, 2019, 1:33pm; Reply: 125
Quoted from arryarryarry

I was told that he walked into the press room and started his rant straight away and the press guys just stood there bemused.

Was that person who told you in the press room Arry?

Obviously the truth as to who made the recording ( and then leaked it ) will never come out but whoever was in the room must have their suspicions

Posted by: arryarryarry, December 3, 2019, 2:45pm; Reply: 126

Was that person who told you in the press room Arry?

I couldn't possibly say  :D ;)
Posted by: golfer, December 3, 2019, 4:10pm; Reply: 127
[quote=142]

I couldn't possibly say  :D ;)[/quote

Ve haf vays off making you talk
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 8:55am