Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
I would go with....

McKeown

Davis   Pollock   Waterfall  Gibson

Rose   Hess   Robson    Wright

Green   Hanson

Is Wright back from injury yet?

And where's Hendrie on your list?

It'll be interesting to see if Limbrick rates Ring any higher than Jolley did.

When you think about it, with Cook in the squad as well we have some decent options.

I really, REALLY hope we win, but we'll be underdogs, no doubt about it.
Posted by: marinerdazza, November 18, 2019, 1:32pm; Reply: 2
No idea. It'll be telling though.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, November 18, 2019, 1:42pm; Reply: 3
Ohman? How far off fitness is he?
Posted by: Henryscat, November 18, 2019, 1:43pm; Reply: 4
Don’t wanna cup tie Macca for January.  ;)
Posted by: jimgtfc, November 18, 2019, 1:47pm; Reply: 5
Macca

Hendrie Ohman Waterfall Gibson

Wright Hess Whitehouse Cook

Green Hanson

Back to basics, 442, graft your balderdash off, defend for your lives and try and nick something
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 18, 2019, 5:31pm; Reply: 6
Thought Hendrie is out injured with hamstring?

I could get behind Grantham Mariner’s 11 if Wright is fit to start or possibly Hewitt in at right back.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 18, 2019, 5:35pm; Reply: 7
Hewitt only missed Newport for paternity reasons, Hendrie still injured.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), November 18, 2019, 5:42pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from jimgtfc
Macca

Hendrie Ohman Waterfall Gibson

Wright Hess Whitehouse Cook

Green Hanson

Back to basics, 442, graft your balderdash off, defend for your lives and try and nick something

It's Newport we're playing. I feel you're overdoing the desperation a touch...
Posted by: Sigone, November 18, 2019, 5:45pm; Reply: 9
                                    Macca
    Hendrie Davis Ohman Pollolck Waterfall Gibson
Hewitt                                                                   Ring
                                Hessenthaler

Hanson

As you can clearly see I've set the team up to score more than the opposition
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 18, 2019, 5:48pm; Reply: 10
                                                    Macca

Hewitt     Ohman        Waterfall     Gibson

Hess       Cook         Robson

Wright                       Ogbu                         Rose

They will be thinking we will be lumping it up to Hanson,

Well it worked at Exeter.
Posted by: smokey111, November 18, 2019, 5:53pm; Reply: 11
F**k em, they aren't Barcelona!!! (This industrial language is catching).

Macca
Hewitt            Pollock    Waterfall    Gibson

Wright            Hess         Robson    Ring (more for balance)

Green        Hanson

If Wright can give us an hour we will have it won by then. Let's not die wondering.
Posted by: devs, November 18, 2019, 5:58pm; Reply: 12
Macca
Hewitt Pollock Waterfall Gibson
Hess Robson Cook
Wright Ogbu Rose

Get at em!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 18, 2019, 6:09pm; Reply: 13
The team selection will tell us a lot about Limbrick.

The way the team plays will tell us a lot more.
Posted by: smokey111, November 18, 2019, 6:27pm; Reply: 14
Pre and post match interviews will be fascinating.

Plus we need wingers asap!!!!!
Posted by: oochiad, November 18, 2019, 7:11pm; Reply: 15
Ogbu!
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 18, 2019, 7:25pm; Reply: 16
Ahkeem Rose has posted a pic of himself and Matt Green on Instagram to which Green has replied along the lines of 'let's do this'. Could be going out ten pin bowling this evening but maybe a potential forward line for Wednesday?
Posted by: chaos33, November 18, 2019, 10:09pm; Reply: 17
Lol
Posted by: sam gy, November 18, 2019, 10:40pm; Reply: 18
While they’re not exactly Barcelona, I don’t think we’ll be going all guns blazing. Yes it’s only Newport, but I’m not sure that we’ve ever won there? They’re a solid side in this division, getting into the playoff last year and there’s a lot of money at stake.
Posted by: smokey111, November 18, 2019, 10:47pm; Reply: 19
Just would like to see intent and positivity. Get on the front foot and try to dominate possession early and set the tone for the rest of the game. If organised and utilised properly there are plenty of dangerous attacking players in the squad.
Posted by: Grantley, November 19, 2019, 12:36am; Reply: 20
Baptism of fire trying to play football on Newport’s bog.
Posted by: Mayaman, November 19, 2019, 4:38am; Reply: 21
Hope Wright is back.  We went dowhill the moment he got injured.
Posted by: jimgtfc, November 19, 2019, 7:48am; Reply: 22
Quoted from smokey111
Just would like to see intent and positivity. Get on the front foot and try to dominate possession early and set the tone for the rest of the game. If organised and utilised properly there are plenty of dangerous attacking players in the squad.

If I was you I’d give Wednesday night a miss then mate. Probably try watching Liverpool or City at the weekend instead.
Posted by: Maringer, November 19, 2019, 8:59am; Reply: 23
Let's face it, we'd all take a streaky win on penalties given the chance. Expecting much different from Limbrick this close to the departure of Jolley is the same as expecting much different from Wilko following Slade's exit the other year.

In a couple of weeks we might see something different but they'll have to work on any different patterns in training rather than just making an instant change.
Posted by: Son of Cod, November 19, 2019, 1:18pm; Reply: 24
I might get laughed out of the thread here, but I've been saying for some time I'd like to see Hewitt on the right wing in a 4-4-2. Wright can do a job on the left, even though it's not his natural/preferred side. Ideally would want Hendrie at RB if we're experimenting like this, but whatever...

McKeown
Davis--Pollock--Waterfall--Gibson
Hewitt--Robson--Hessenthaler--Wright
Green--Hanson
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, November 19, 2019, 1:37pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from smokey111
Pre and post match interviews will be fascinating.

Plus we need wingers asap!!!!!

I believe even Fenty said in the first interview that we need more width.

Makes you wonder if most of us could see it along with Fenty (who of course could not mention team selections as not wanting to appear to be interfering - pre Jolley departure at least) why on earth did Jolley not?

We have to get at least 2 wide players in January IMO, we have one very talented player in Max Wright who hopefully will now be given the true freedom a winger needs to flourish.  
Posted by: Tommy, November 19, 2019, 2:01pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Son of Cod
I might get laughed out of the thread here, but I've been saying for some time I'd like to see Hewitt on the right wing in a 4-4-2. Wright can do a job on the left, even though it's not his natural/preferred side. Ideally would want Hendrie at RB if we're experimenting like this, but whatever...

McKeown
Davis--Pollock--Waterfall--Gibson
Hewitt--Robson--Hessenthaler--Wright
Green--Hanson

I thought we wanted to stop putting square pegs in round holes?
Posted by: Son of Cod, November 19, 2019, 3:57pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Tommy

Who else would you play at RB given that the whole point of my post was suggesting giving Hewitt a go on the right side of a 4 man midfield?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 19, 2019, 3:58pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Tommy

Tell the previous manager that we needed some wingers then!
Posted by: Tommy, November 19, 2019, 7:45pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Son of Cod

Who else would you play at RB given that the whole point of my post was suggesting giving Hewitt a go on the right side of a 4 man midfield?

I just wouldn't play Hewitt anywhere other than RB, as that's where he looks at least half-decent. I can understand the temptation to try him there because he delivers a good ball into the box. But it's an entirely different proposition receiving the ball higher up the pitch under pressure and trying to get a cross in. Just think his skill set is either receiving a ball set back for him to cross before the winger gets up to close him down, or joining in as an overlapping full-back to make a 2v1 and thus, again, a bit more time and space.

If it means we haven't got a right sided midfielder to play RM in a 442, then just dont play 442. We've got to use a system that allows us to get a strong XI out and then use them to the best of their abilities. So a formation to suit the players we have is vital.
Posted by: smokey111, November 19, 2019, 8:25pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Tommy

I just wouldn't play Hewitt anywhere other than RB, as that's where he looks at least half-decent. I can understand the temptation to try him there because he delivers a good ball into the box. But it's an entirely different proposition receiving the ball higher up the pitch under pressure and trying to get a cross in. Just think his skill set is either receiving a ball set back for him to cross before the winger gets up to close him down, or joining in as an overlapping full-back to make a 2v1 and thus, again, a bit more time and space.

If it means we haven't got a right sided midfielder to play RM in a 442, then just dont play 442. We've got to use a system that allows us to get a strong XI out and then use them to the best of their abilities. So a formation to suit the players we have is vital.

This
Posted by: toontown, November 19, 2019, 8:45pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Tommy

Well said
Posted by: Alfie, November 20, 2019, 2:38pm; Reply: 32
McKeown

Hewitt
Ohman
Waterfall
Gibson

Ogbu
Whitehouse
Hessenthaler
Robson

Green
Hanson

...crazy the lack of width we have in our squad to play 4-4-2!!!
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, November 20, 2019, 6:49pm; Reply: 33
No Hanson

Some surprises

Let's see!
Posted by: Hagrid, November 20, 2019, 6:50pm; Reply: 34
6 subs no hanson no Moses
Posted by: bobbyturtle, November 20, 2019, 6:51pm; Reply: 35
5 3 2 ?
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 20, 2019, 6:52pm; Reply: 36
Must be illnesses or injuries.
Posted by: LH, November 20, 2019, 6:52pm; Reply: 37
A lot of pressure on the starting xi cause the bench looks weak (and a man light?!).
Posted by: forza ivano, November 20, 2019, 7:02pm; Reply: 38
Think if I was a neutral I'd be lumping on Newport  31-40 with betway
Posted by: Rik e B, November 20, 2019, 7:09pm; Reply: 39
Looks like there was substance in roses tweet or ig post to greenie "let's do this"
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 20, 2019, 7:14pm; Reply: 40
Pretty telling that Rings still not in the first team squad...see him going in January...
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 9:59am