Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: OllieGTFC, November 16, 2019, 3:55pm
went to see who’s in the front running for the job, we are not on the there no more ? Kevin Nolan
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 16, 2019, 4:20pm; Reply: 1
Not for me.
Posted by: golfer, November 16, 2019, 4:50pm; Reply: 2
Kevin Nolan -BOGOF
Posted by: barrattstandman, November 16, 2019, 6:05pm; Reply: 3
Henrik Larsson anyone. Says in today's Daily Mail willing to start anywhere. Says he doesn't need to do another days work but wants to manage in England . Just missed out on the Southend job . Worth an enquiry.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 16, 2019, 6:14pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from barrattstandman
Henrik Larsson anyone. Says in today's Daily Mail willing to start anywhere. Says he doesn't need to do another days work but wants to manage in England . Just missed out on the Southend job . Worth an enquiry.

Unproven as a manager, but was a superb player I will say...is he worth a punt?...not sure to be honest, think I'd rather take a non league, successful manager over him.
Posted by: Davec, November 16, 2019, 6:15pm; Reply: 5
Peter Wild from Halifax?
Posted by: pizzzza, November 16, 2019, 6:21pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from OllieGTFC
went to see who’s in the front running for the job, we are not on the there no more ? Kevin Nolan

I'd rather have Coleen Nolan
Posted by: mimma, November 16, 2019, 6:23pm; Reply: 7
There's been dozens of name bandied around already with every man and his dog having a manager in mind to go for. It goes to show how difficult it is going to be to find our new manager. I wouldn't like to try to find one that's for sure, wouldn't know where to start.
Posted by: Stew0_0, November 16, 2019, 6:27pm; Reply: 8
Like us to go down the same sort of route as Lincoln took with a young and upcoming manager with lots of contacts in premiership and championship.
Although i do like the idea of Paul Tisdale as had relative success in this league before and plays the brand of football we all crave.
Posted by: Maringer, November 16, 2019, 6:29pm; Reply: 9
A friend heard a rumour that we'll have a new owner during the next week or so and he wants to bring in his own manager, hence Jolley's departure. Hearsay, I know, but quite feasible possible if the new owner has a big enough wallet (and probably ego).
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, November 16, 2019, 6:31pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Stew0_0
Like us to go down the same sort of route as Lincoln took with a young and upcoming manager with lots of contacts in premiership and championship.
Although i do like the idea of Paul Tisdale as had relative success in this league before and plays the brand of football we all crave.

Forgive me for being ignorant but what Premier League/Championship contacts did the PE teacher Cowley's have at Lincoln? Maybe they were the PE teachers for some Premier League players kids?
Posted by: Rik e B, November 16, 2019, 6:31pm; Reply: 11
[url]https://www.thesackrace.com/news/15th-november-2019/next-grimsby-town-manager-anthony-limbrick-paul-tisdale-and-paul-heckingbottom-all-feature[/url]
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 16, 2019, 6:41pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

Forgive me for being ignorant but what Premier League/Championship contacts did the PE teacher Cowley's have at Lincoln? Maybe they were the PE teachers for some Premier League players kids?

They did have a bit of cash to play with though, not millions but enough to get them going, our next manager will be relying on their powers of persuasion more than a playing budget.

Actually I don’t think we need to add loads of new players we just need to get the ones we have to keep the ball for a bit, pass it to a team mate who’s found some space start doing that and we’ll win the odd game or two.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), November 16, 2019, 6:47pm; Reply: 13

Get him fit and play him...so yeah - player/manager!
Posted by: Teesknees, November 16, 2019, 6:54pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from pizzzza

I'd rather have Coleen Nolan

I bet you would!
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), November 16, 2019, 7:08pm; Reply: 15
Choosing a manager is a lottery. Most of the time it doesn't work out.

All you can do is try to pick someone who matches your philosophy as a club. I think jolley matched that. Blooding the youth and getting involved with the community.

This match up works both ways though. And it seems our boards ambitions didn't match jolleys. I hear the final straw was the Stevenage game where fenty cancelled the players overnight hotel. Leaving three players to go down anyway and pay for themselves. Not exactly a board who are 'going for it' this year.

Therefore the next manager must be one who wants to progress youth through the club and play attractive football our fans want to see. The likes of Holloway just wouldn't put up with fentys excrement.

Tisdale would be the stand out for me. But feel he would be looking for a job higher up the league.

Ian evatt is doing wonders at Barrow on limited funds. And if he has learnt anything from his time playing under Holloway then he will progress further up the leagues.

The problem is the board. Their complete lack of any involvement of progressing the club. You can do excrement loads more to build a club than just chuck Money at it. So who bloody knows who the next manager will be. Probably be the candidate who agrees to team up with fenty and lay into the poor guy hosting the next agm.
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 16, 2019, 7:14pm; Reply: 16
Here's a complete daydream of an idea. We all know from past employment and listening to him on the radio Mr Buckley's footballing beliefs, well, appoint him only to the end of the season with instructions to get us playing on the deck with the same squad that Mr Jolley could only seem to manage hoof ball. That way we would all hen know if it was poor coaching or that's all the players were capable off.
Posted by: dicko995, November 16, 2019, 7:14pm; Reply: 17
At least its kept you lot occupied over the weekend. No wkend football again and the forum would of been quiet. At least you can all talk and whinge about who,s gonna take the realm. I,ll just wait and let the board decide. Carry on whinging :)
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, November 16, 2019, 7:33pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from dicko995
At least its kept you lot occupied over the weekend. No wkend football again and the forum would of been quiet. At least you can all talk and whinge about who,s gonna take the realm. I,ll just wait and let the board decide. Carry on whinging :)

That’s the most patronising post of the week, well done and enjoy the view from the moral high ground!
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 16, 2019, 7:45pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from dicko995

P!as right off, if ever a tag name suited a poster it's yours!!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 16, 2019, 7:48pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from 3610

All you can do is try to pick someone who matches your philosophy as a club. I think jolley matched that. Blooding the youth and getting involved with the community.

This match up works both ways though. And it seems our boards ambitions didn't match jolleys. I hear the final straw was the Stevenage game where fenty cancelled the players overnight hotel. Leaving three players to go down anyway and pay for themselves. Not exactly a board who are 'going for it' this year.

Therefore the next manager must be one who wants to progress youth through the club and play attractive football our fans want to see. The likes of Holloway just wouldn't put up with fentys excrement.

Tisdale would be the stand out for me. But feel he would be looking for a job higher up the league.

Ian evatt is doing wonders at Barrow on limited funds. And if he has learnt anything from his time playing under Holloway then he will progress further up the leagues.

The problem is the board. Their complete lack of any involvement of progressing the club. You can do excrement loads more to build a club than just chuck Money at it. So who bloody knows who the next manager will be. Probably be the candidate who agrees to team up with fenty and lay into the poor guy hosting the next agm.

Your last paragraph is spit on!!

Posted by: gaz57, November 16, 2019, 8:57pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from golfer
Kevin Nolan -BOGOF

He's that good you want two of them  ;)
Posted by: jonnyboy82, November 16, 2019, 9:12pm; Reply: 22
Please god paul tisdale.
Posted by: Rik e B, November 16, 2019, 9:44pm; Reply: 23
As long as we paying Fenty back we'll have a paltry budget and anyone will do well not to struggle.
Posted by: Spatchcock, November 16, 2019, 10:18pm; Reply: 24
Just heard Harry Kewell being lined up. Not sure if it's true or not?
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, November 16, 2019, 10:19pm; Reply: 25
I’m sure he would last what 4 months?? If that
Posted by: RichMariner, November 16, 2019, 10:22pm; Reply: 26
Good to see that two managers who contributed to Notts County's relegation last season are in the running, then.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 16, 2019, 10:50pm; Reply: 27

Would maybe have useful contacts in the Swedish league which could be worth explori.......oh hang on.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 16, 2019, 10:50pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from RichMariner
Good to see that two managers who contributed to Notts County's relegation last season are in the running, then.

As I said on another thread given County had three managers in the season it’s most likely relegation was more to do with the players than their management. Kewell had a tough start at Crawley but stuck to his beliefs on how he wants the game played and they finished that season well and started the next ok hence his appointment at County.

Heard him speak on Sky’s Debate programme a few times and he comes over very well so his appointment would be ok with me.

On another point when he was at Leeds and his Mrs on Emmerdale they had a second home just outside Lincoln at Burton Waters so if they still own that may help in any possible relocation.
Posted by: rancido, November 17, 2019, 1:00pm; Reply: 29

Maybe but I feel that highly successful and well paid players would struggle to understand the budget restraints of lower league football clubs.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 17, 2019, 1:05pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from rancido

Maybe but I feel that highly successful and well paid players would struggle to understand the budget restraints of lower league football clubs.

Yes, agree entirely, what we need is someone who undertsands budget constraints at this level ,  possibly with a strong financial background with some coaching qualifications who understa...........oh hang on
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 17, 2019, 1:09pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Maringer
A friend heard a rumour that we'll have a new owner during the next week or so and he wants to bring in his own manager, hence Jolley's departure. Hearsay, I know, but quite feasible possible if the new owner has a big enough wallet (and probably ego).

Its that Glen Tamplin bloke  ??)
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 17, 2019, 1:11pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from rancido

Like Sol Campbell
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 17, 2019, 1:16pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from rancido

That may be true, plus the fact that their expectations of what the players of that level can achieve on the pitch can be too high.

Just to modify that - unless you are like Mike Lyons and find the players are actually better than you. ;D

Posted by: Perkins, November 17, 2019, 1:21pm; Reply: 34
Whoever the next applicant for the job is, he needs to do his homework on our board, trawl through the comments on this site and only then apply if he has serious masochistic tendencies.
Posted by: rancido, November 17, 2019, 1:25pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from 3610

I do find the comment about the Stevenage game impossible to believe. When a club plays away it's travel expenses are paid by the home club, which in that case would have been Stevenage. Those are the only monies a club gets from an away game.
Posted by: ROKERITE, November 17, 2019, 1:26pm; Reply: 36

It was a strange saga involving Larsson and Southend. Ron Martin (Southend's owner) had negotiated with the Swede for weeks and was all set to announce his appointment when the third member of the proposed new management team, Tommy Johnson, took a job with another League One team; it turned out to be Blackpool. As a result the whole deal was off because Larsson felt he needed the Englishman's knowledge of lower division English football if he was to take the job.
I think it was a very fortunate turn of events for The Shrimpers because as a consequence they appointed Sol Campbell. Although he's yet to pick up a point since his arrival I think there's good reason to be optimistic if you're a Southend United supporter now Campbell is in charge. I thought the Larsson appointment would have been a high profile disaster.
Posted by: chaos33, November 17, 2019, 8:12pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from rancido

I do find the comment about the Stevenage game impossible to believe. When a club plays away it's travel expenses are paid by the home club, which in that case would have been Stevenage. Those are the only monies a club gets from an away game.

Please point me in the direction of a source that stipulates that...
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), November 17, 2019, 8:25pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from rancido

Think that’s only for 12pm or earlier  kick offs
Posted by: golfer, November 17, 2019, 9:50pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from chaos33

Please point me in the direction of a source that stipulates that...

EFL  rule  27.4  
Posted by: chaos33, November 17, 2019, 10:07pm; Reply: 40
Thanks. EFL rule 27.4 says that the away club will receive money from the home club if the game kicks off before 12.
As a general rule, away teams don’t have their expenses paid as was implied. I can’t remember what time that game kicked off. Also, I wasn’t aware that away teams received ‘no other monies’ from away games. I thought they received a portion of ticket sales.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 17, 2019, 10:12pm; Reply: 41
I think in the cup they're split but in the league you just retain your own gate receipts.
Posted by: chaos33, November 17, 2019, 10:20pm; Reply: 42
So if you sell 1000 tickets for an away game don’t you get any of that revenue?
Posted by: MarinerDevil, November 17, 2019, 10:42pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from chaos33
So if you sell 1000 tickets for an away game don’t you get any of that revenue?

If we sell them from our ticket office we get a small commission.
Posted by: chaos33, November 17, 2019, 10:46pm; Reply: 44
Right. Cheers. I’m clearer now.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 18, 2019, 6:53am; Reply: 45
Quoted from MarinerDevil

If we sell them from our ticket office we get a small commission.

Yes, I remember when we played Blackpool on NYE a few years ago my Pool supporting mate paid a bit more at BP so that Oyston didn't get a cut.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 18, 2019, 6:55am; Reply: 46
As for before 12, have we ever played a game at that time?!
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 8:30am