Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, November 15, 2019, 12:09pm
Manager merry go round again
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 15, 2019, 12:12pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Hagrid

Ian Holloway.  He has made it quite clear recently on the radio that he'd consider any league job.

We need a manager who can get the best out of a pretty decent squad.  Jolley couldn't get a tune out of them, for some reason.

Whoever comes in, you watch Harry Clifton get a new lease of life now that Jolley's not there to knock his confidence.

Posted by: supertown, November 15, 2019, 12:13pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Heisenberg

Ian Holloway.  He has made it quite clear recently on the radio that he'd consider any league job.

We need a manager who can get the best out of a pretty decent squad.  Jolley couldn't get a tune out of them, for some reason.

Whoever comes in, you watch Harry Clifton get a new lease of life now that Jolley's not there to knock his confidence.

Cant see him getting on with JF for one minute
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 15, 2019, 12:14pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Hagrid

Thought it’s just what you wanted
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 15, 2019, 12:15pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from supertown

Cant see him getting on with JF for one minute

Well, ourselves and Orient may well be fighting to get the best available candidate.......
Posted by: forza ivano, November 15, 2019, 12:15pm; Reply: 5
i'd like Paul Tidsdale , but the other 2 names that spring to mind are Robbie Stockdale and Paul Heckingbottom , just sacked at Hibs and have local connections (Yorkshite is pretty local!)
Posted by: gtfc98, November 15, 2019, 12:17pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Heisenberg

intercourse That. The guy is a moron.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 15, 2019, 12:17pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Thought it’s just what you wanted

I did. Just asking who we want. That allright?
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, November 15, 2019, 12:17pm; Reply: 8
Would love Nigel....Adkins  

Completely unrealistic though. I would not mind looking at an up and coming non league manager. But whoever it is one of the interview questions has to be "what is your view on bringing all 10 outfield players back for a corner?"  ;D
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 15, 2019, 12:18pm; Reply: 9
Let's have a word with Scunny and just take Hurst off their hands.  Personally, I'd have him back.
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 15, 2019, 12:19pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from gtfc98

intercourse That. The guy is a moron.

Harsh!  But it's all about opinions, and I respect yours.  I think he'd be great for us.
Posted by: pizzzza, November 15, 2019, 12:20pm; Reply: 11
As daft as it sounds, one school of thought suggests that the squad as it is today is probably more suited to Russell Slade's style of play than it was when he was here himself. I'm not saying he is our man but he should certainly be in the mix.
Posted by: gtfc98, November 15, 2019, 12:20pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Heisenberg

Harsh!  But it's all about opinions, and I respect yours.  I think he'd be great for us.

https://news.sky.com/video/ian-holloway-links-var-to-brexit-11790342

But I guess he'd be popular with a lot on here!
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, November 15, 2019, 12:21pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from pizzzza
As daft as it sounds, one school of thought suggests that the squad as it is today is probably more suited to Russell Slade's style of play than it was when he was here himself. I'm not saying he is our man but he should certainly be in the mix.

you do mean cement mix right?
Posted by: rancido, November 15, 2019, 12:22pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Heisenberg
Let's have a word with Scunny and just take Hurst off their hands.  Personally, I'd have him back.

What is this obsession, on here , with bringing back previous managers and players ? Is it exclusively a " Fishy thing " or does it happen at all other clubs.
Posted by: drew peacock, November 15, 2019, 12:23pm; Reply: 15
Understand Danny Collins is very keen, wouldn't be the worst appointment.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 15, 2019, 12:25pm; Reply: 16
Dave Moore, John McDermott and Craig Disley as a 'KNOW THE CLUB' managerial dream team
Posted by: Poojah, November 15, 2019, 12:29pm; Reply: 17
I’d have Adkins or Tisdale in a heartbeat, but I think both - the former in particular - will have their sights set on something bigger than us. There’s Daniel Stendel too, recently of Barnsley, but again probably beyond our pulling power  

Nathan Jones is in need of some reparation after the hash he made of the Stoke job. Like Hurst, I think he took on a job that was too big, too soon, but he did a great job at Luton and was well regarded as an assistant at Brighton.

I’d love to think that the timing of Jolley’s sacking was due to the fact that an unmissable opportunity became available in terms of a replacement, but I know I’m kidding myself really and I am expecting to be seriously underwhelmed with whoever we end up with.
Posted by: marinerdazza, November 15, 2019, 12:33pm; Reply: 18
It’ll be Limbrick.
Posted by: livosnose, November 15, 2019, 12:33pm; Reply: 19
A manager who can get Hanson scoring again !
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 15, 2019, 12:34pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from rancido

What is this obsession, on here , with bringing back previous managers and players ? Is it exclusively a " Fishy thing " or does it happen at all other clubs.

I think it's at most clubs.   Sometimes when you've tried something new and it's gone wrong, you immediately head for the comfort blanket - Hurst gave us stability, his squad in the conference was probably better than ours is now, and his first season in EFL management remains our best one since we've been back up.

He'd not be my first choice, personally, but I think it'd be a decent move.  Not that it's possible.  Unless Scunny sack him later today!
Posted by: MarinerDevil, November 15, 2019, 12:35pm; Reply: 21
The fact that Limbrick hasn't left suggests he'll be getting a run of games until the board make a decision.  

In terms of external options, Tisdale and Jones would be great appointments but maybe a tad ambitious for us, or we could try to nab the best out of non-league.  I just pray to God that Fenty doesn't revert to type and fall back on a Slade-type has-been.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, November 15, 2019, 12:38pm; Reply: 22
Limbrick to the end of season. See how he does. Keep or replace for next season.
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 15, 2019, 12:41pm; Reply: 23
I'd go for Farage.

Took Brexit FC higher than anyone could imagine.  Will be looking for job fairly soon.

And he's already got a shirt !!!!!!!!!

;)
Posted by: Hagrid, November 15, 2019, 12:43pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Limbrick to the end of season. See how he does. Keep or replace for next season.

no  he is part of the problem
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, November 15, 2019, 12:43pm; Reply: 25
Rob Scott.
Posted by: gtfc98, November 15, 2019, 12:46pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Civvy at last
I'd go for Farage.

Took Brexit FC higher than anyone could imagine.  Will be looking for job fairly soon.

And he's already got a shirt !!!!!!!!!

;)

FUUUUUUUUUUCKK that is GENUIS! What source! GET IIIIIIIINNNN!
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 15, 2019, 12:46pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
Rob Scott.

Dean Windass   :P

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 15, 2019, 12:47pm; Reply: 28
Seen some bizarre suggestions online!
Posted by: Ipswin, November 15, 2019, 1:02pm; Reply: 29
Do you mean realistically or just a dream?

It will probably be Limbrick if he wins a few because he's cheap

Who would I like above every other manager in the world? Neil Warnock
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, November 15, 2019, 1:07pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Ipswin
Do you mean realistically or just a dream?

It will probably be Limbrick if he wins a few because he's cheap

Who would I like above every other manager in the world? Neil Warnock

More likely to get Neil Kinnock
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 15, 2019, 1:07pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Hagrid

I did. Just asking who we want. That allright?

Well you used the phrase ‘managerial merrygoround’ which is a perjorative term for a form of organisational insanity, like it’s not something you wished to happen. It’s just hypocritical.

Fans should take some responsibility for what happens. You wished for this insanity, the powers that be have given you what you asked for.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 15, 2019, 1:08pm; Reply: 32

https://www.thesackrace.com/teams/grimsby-town
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, November 15, 2019, 1:12pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from promotion plaice

That's a brilliant list. I might stick a cheeky fiver on a couple of the 25-1 shots, Mike Newell and Brian Laws....
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 15, 2019, 1:12pm; Reply: 34
Now there's a name on that sackrace list that I hadn't thought of and still lives locally ....Craig Hignett...not that I'm saying I want him tho...
Posted by: Yoda, November 15, 2019, 1:12pm; Reply: 35
A manager from the conference doing well
or a big name you manager with contacts.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 15, 2019, 1:13pm; Reply: 36
Limbrick
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 15, 2019, 1:14pm; Reply: 37
I wouldn't read much into Limbrick staying. So did Paul Wilkinson !

We are not privy to how much input he has had for the last year and how much say he had in the playing style and tactics and selections. But if Wilkie was tarred with the Slade brush in the eyes of a lot of Fishy posters then surely Limbrick is tarred with Jolley's?
Posted by: Tradjazz, November 15, 2019, 1:18pm; Reply: 38
Just a thought but could Nigel Farage have had an interview, for the job,following last nights meeting.
Couldn't do any worse than some of the name being put forward.

My personal choice would be Neil Warnock. A very good manager who  knows the way around the football league.

Don't think we could afford Sir Alex!
Posted by: OllieGTFC, November 15, 2019, 1:21pm; Reply: 39
Non league In 3 years you watch
Posted by: Ipswin, November 15, 2019, 1:25pm; Reply: 40
Please God anyone on that list but not Phil Brown although wasn't he interested last time if I recall?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 15, 2019, 1:27pm; Reply: 41

More likely to get Neil Kinnock

He doesn't need the money
Posted by: Hameln Mariner, November 15, 2019, 1:35pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from pizzzza

I had the "pleasure" of being in Hereford on Tuesday so went to watch them play Alfreton. In the name of all that is good we should never, ever consider letting Mr R Slade anywhere near Blundell Park unless he has got a job working for Deliveroo and is doing a collection from McDonalds. The Hereford fans are loosing patience very quickly, lots of new players in and no discernible style of play.
Posted by: sydney, November 15, 2019, 1:39pm; Reply: 43
Tisdale
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 15, 2019, 1:47pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Hameln Mariner

I had the "pleasure" of being in Hereford on Tuesday so went to watch them play Alfreton. In the name of all that is good we should never, ever consider letting Mr R Slade anywhere near Blundell Park unless he has got a job working for Deliveroo and is doing a collection from McDonalds. The Hereford fans are loosing patience very quickly, lots of new players in and no discernible style of play.

You mean Uber Eats.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 15, 2019, 1:49pm; Reply: 45
Tisdale is the obvious choice, but I fear many of the names on that list-get a feeling Kevin Nolan could be a likely option.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 15, 2019, 1:50pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Poojah
I’d have Adkins or Tisdale in a heartbeat, but I think both - the former in particular - will have their sights set on something bigger than us. There’s Daniel Stendel too, recently of Barnsley, but again probably beyond our pulling power  

Nathan Jones is in need of some reparation after the hash he made of the Stoke job. Like Hurst, I think he took on a job that was too big, too soon, but he did a great job at Luton and was well regarded as an assistant at Brighton.

I’d love to think that the timing of Jolley’s sacking was due to the fact that an unmissable opportunity became available in terms of a replacement, but I know I’m kidding myself really and I am expecting to be seriously underwhelmed with whoever we end up with.

Not sure why you think Tisdale would have his sights set higher.

Spent the majority of his career managing in League 2 and The National League, tried his hand in League 1 and it didn't work out. He may have to do a Paul Hurst and take another League 2 job to get his credibility back.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, November 15, 2019, 1:50pm; Reply: 47

Russell Slade at 10/1!

Odds like that make it sound that it's possible.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, November 15, 2019, 2:06pm; Reply: 48
Will probably get shot down but my immediate thoughts are give Limbrick a go for a few games and reading the list of available candidates makes that seem even more likely..

Hopefully he can get the ball on the deck a bit more and make going to BP a bit more entertaining than of late.

Gutted it didn't work out with MJ seemed like a good fella but think there is more to this than just results of late.
Posted by: Son of Cod, November 15, 2019, 2:25pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Tradjazz
My personal choice would be Neil Warnock. A very good manager who  knows the way around the football league.

Don't think we could afford Sir Alex!

But you think we can afford Warnock?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 15, 2019, 2:32pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Will probably get shot down but my immediate thoughts are give Limbrick a go for a few games and reading the list of available candidates makes that seem even more likely..

Hopefully he can get the ball on the deck a bit more and make going to BP a bit more entertaining than of late.

Gutted it didn't work out with MJ seemed like a good fella but think there is more to this than just results of late.

He would not be my ideal choice but I can see it happening.

The nearest parallel I can dredge from memory is when George Kerr lost the plot and got sacked and the board appointed David Booth. We had a decent squad and they just needed a change of direction and ideas.

I don't know if Limbrick is good or not. Would we see a side setting its stall out and letting other sides worry how to stop us or would we just see a continuation of the MJ regime, being terrified of the opposition and picking nullifying tactics?
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 15, 2019, 2:36pm; Reply: 51
Harry Kewell May be worth a look. I know Notts County didn’t work out but every manager has their failures and given they went down suggests it was more the players fault than that of any of the three managers they had. After an iffy start at Crawley he stuck to his principles on how he wanted his team to play and this appeared to be working when he chose to move on.

Outside up and coming Manager maybe Ian Evatt who has done good work with Barrow this season otherwise like others Tisdale and Nathan Jones good shouts with Adkins welcome just for the fact he’s always so damn positive 😄
Posted by: golfer, November 15, 2019, 2:37pm; Reply: 52
Nigel Farage
Posted by: Ashby mariner, November 15, 2019, 2:40pm; Reply: 53
Tisdale but I think he will go to orient. Disley may be worth ago but I guess it will be like jolley no Experiance in management.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 15, 2019, 2:43pm; Reply: 54
id have Harry kewell, not Nolan, his style of play is worse than Jolleys
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 15, 2019, 2:45pm; Reply: 55
Why would anyone think that Dis has got what it takes to be a manager? Thought he was training to be an accountant and not sure why he would want to lose the love the fans have for him by becoming our Manager!!!

It’s just the Macca for Manager thread reincarnated and is not going to happen.
Posted by: golfer, November 15, 2019, 2:52pm; Reply: 56
Return of Bignot  :X
Posted by: marinerdazza, November 15, 2019, 2:57pm; Reply: 57
Some of the suggestions make me despair.
Posted by: golfer, November 15, 2019, 2:57pm; Reply: 58
I wouldn't read much into Limbrick staying. So did Paul Wilkinson !

We are not privy to how much input he has had for the last year and how much say he had in the playing style and tactics and selections. But if Wilkie was tarred with the Slade brush in the eyes of a lot of Fishy posters then surely Limbrick is tarred with Jolley's?

A clean brush catches the early worm in the kitchen
Posted by: LH, November 15, 2019, 3:00pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Non league In 3 years you watch

Finally! Some optimism!
Posted by: Tommy, November 15, 2019, 3:13pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Hagrid

no  he is part of the problem

Based on what?

I don't think any of us know how Anthony Limbrick would set a GTFC team up. He was assistant manager, so he wasn't calling the shots. If he was leading training sessions, he'd have been tailoring them to work on what Jolley wanted to work on or upcoming tactics chosen by MJ etc etc. He would've had input, but ultimately the final call every time would be the Manager's.

I'm not suggesting he'll transform the team completely now, but my point is none of us really know.
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 15, 2019, 3:37pm; Reply: 61
Jason Ainsley at Spennymoor Town, if we're looking for another go ahead type non league manager, who's worked miracles during his time there.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/opinion/columnists/mikeamos/backtrack/15897813.backtrack-jason-ainsley-the-manager-guiding-spennymoor-town-to-unknown-heights-has-settled-down-a-bit/
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 15, 2019, 3:49pm; Reply: 62
David Healy for me from linfield
Or even Declan Devine from Derry city
Posted by: Jaws, November 15, 2019, 3:55pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Abdul19
Dave Moore, John McDermott and Craig Disley as a 'KNOW THE CLUB' managerial dream team

Sorry but what is there to 'know' about the club. Dave Moore is a physio and the other 2 have never coached this level. Someone doesn't need to 'know the club' to get 11 players to beat another 11.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 15, 2019, 3:57pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from pizzzza

Just stay where you are, don't move, a couple of gentleman in white coats will be there shortly, just do as they say.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 15, 2019, 3:58pm; Reply: 65
Surprised nobody has mentioned Alan Buckley who is currently without a club.
Posted by: Davec, November 15, 2019, 4:02pm; Reply: 66
Ian Every could be worth a look
Posted by: CodHead, November 15, 2019, 4:09pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from livosnose
A manager who can get Hanson scoring again !

To be fair, it wasn’t Jolley’s fault
Hanson couldn’t score an open goal.
Posted by: mariner tommy, November 15, 2019, 4:19pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Heisenberg

He could be sacked any time now anyway.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 15, 2019, 4:50pm; Reply: 69
If Limbrick sets the team in an attacking mode with players in their best positions he might just have a decent cup run and win a few league games.

He might have a chance to keep the job for a while unless the next manager has already got the job and will be at Newport as a spectator,

So watch who is in the stands and see if we can spot him.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 15, 2019, 4:58pm; Reply: 70
Ian Evatt at Barrow or Steve Watson at York..

Both young and ambitious, with good playing careers behind them and making their way more than competently as managers..

Tisdale or Nathan Jones would be decent appointments, but could we tempt them? I'm not so sure..
Posted by: Poojah, November 15, 2019, 5:09pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from Bigdog
Ian Evatt from Barrow or Steve Watson from York..

Both young and ambitious, with good playing careers behind them and making their way more than competently as managers..

Tisdale or Nathan Jones would be decent appointments, but could we tempt them? I'm not so sure..

Ian Evatt is a good shout actually. I work with the brother of Barrow’s keeper who incidentally was training with Town for a few months last season after leaving Hull. Apparently he’s a top bloke and has got Barrow playing some tremendous, passing football this season.

They have a tiny budget but he’s got them right up there. Worth some consideration.  
Posted by: diehardmariner, November 15, 2019, 5:15pm; Reply: 72
What would be really funny is if anyone, or even lots of people, suggested Nigel Farage...
Posted by: OllieGTFC, November 15, 2019, 5:32pm; Reply: 73
No one will be rushing to apply for the job maximum they will get us 18 months then be out of the job, cheap option it will be mark my words
Posted by: ROKERITE, November 15, 2019, 5:47pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Heisenberg

Well, ourselves and Orient may well be fighting to get the best available candidate.......

Orient made a strange and terrible appointment in Carl Fletcher but rectified it in twenty-nine days. They were doing all right under Embleton as caretaker (as witnessed at Blundell Park) but he didn't want it permanently apparently. I think they might appoint in-house this time, with Embleton involved but possibly Jobi McAnuff as manager; McAnuff has always seemed a sensible fellow when I've heard him talk.
The club who will be fishing in the same waters as Grimsby for a new manager is Carlisle, and the Cumbrians might  be more attractive to Evatt  the Barrow manager should they be interested.

Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, November 15, 2019, 5:48pm; Reply: 75
Paul Hurst may well be available shortly :)
Posted by: ginnywings, November 15, 2019, 5:58pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby
Paul Hurst may well be available shortly :)

He's always been short.  ;)
Posted by: dicko995, November 15, 2019, 6:01pm; Reply: 77
We need someone who can deliver on the day, be reliable,has charisma, dependable, someone who knows the Town and surroundings, will sit down and assist anyone, be popular with the public, theres no doubt that it can only be one man...…. Santa, ha.
    Maybe he will be well suited for the job, don't shoot the messenger ..UTM
Posted by: marinerdazza, November 15, 2019, 6:23pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from Jaws

Sorry but what is there to 'know' about the club. Dave Moore is a physio and the other 2 have never coached this level. Someone doesn't need to 'know the club' to get 11 players to beat another 11.

Whoosh
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, November 15, 2019, 6:42pm; Reply: 79
Well we’re going to see if Limbrick has got any chance of the job in the next few weeks like it or not !
Posted by: marinerdazza, November 15, 2019, 6:43pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from Tommy

Based on what?

I don't think any of us know how Anthony Limbrick/Graham Rodger/Stuart Watkiss/Paul Wilkinson would set a GTFC team up. He was assistant manager, so he wasn't calling the shots. If he was leading training sessions, he'd have been tailoring them to work on what Jolley wanted to work on or upcoming tactics chosen by MJ etc etc. He would've had input, but ultimately the final call every time would be the Manager's.

I'm not suggesting he'll transform the team completely now, but my point is none of us really know.

It’s worked twice in 40 years. Dave Booth and John Cockerill.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 15, 2019, 6:46pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from OllieGTFC
No one will be rushing to apply for the job maximum they will get us 18 months then be out of the job, cheap option it will be mark my words

They will get longer than that if they hit the ground running with some football nous about how to win games, and we don't get any more of this crap about it takes 2/3/4/5/10 years to build a side good enough to get to the playoffs and another 3 seasons after that to get promotion.

OK so someone is going to jump up and down now and say times have changed but can I just refer back some decades to Mr McMenemy who came here and hardly changed a person in the team he inherited and by ability turned them into champions.

I'm not suggesting that would happen but I am suggesting that the more people keep saying this "be patient, be patient" tripe like we heard from Hurst and Jolley ....... the more patient we have to be. It is a self-fulfilling prophesy. We need someone with fire in the belly not a laptop in the hand.

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 15, 2019, 6:49pm; Reply: 82

They will get longer than that if they hit the ground running with some football nous about how to win games, and we don't get any more of this crap about it takes 2/3/4/5/10 years to build a side good enough to get to the playoffs and another 3 seasons after that to get promotion.

OK so someone is going to jump up and down now and say times have changed but can I just refer back some decades to Mr McMenemy who came here and hardly changed a person in the team he inherited and by ability turned them into champions.

I'm not suggesting that would happen but I am suggesting that the more people keep saying this "be patient, be patient" tripe like we heard from Hurst and Jolley ....... the more patient we have to be. It is a self-fulfilling prophesy. We need someone with fire in the belly not a laptop in the hand.

Absolutely 100% behind this statement
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 15, 2019, 6:49pm; Reply: 83

At the end of the day no matter who we want as the new manager that decision will be made by Mr Fenty....sorry ....the board.

We're in safe hands   ??)
Posted by: Ipswin, November 15, 2019, 6:55pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from diehardmariner
What would be really funny is if anyone, or even lots of people, suggested Nigel Farage...

Surely the aim must be for someone to take us into Europe. We've already had loads of failures who have kept us out

Posted by: marinerdazza, November 15, 2019, 6:56pm; Reply: 85
Just a gentle reminder that it’s not 1972.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 15, 2019, 6:57pm; Reply: 86

Worth at least  considering successful NL managers.

Steve Watson has certainly turned York around.  They are unbeaten in the league this season.  They also beat Stockport in the FAC, who are a division higher.

The manager of Maldon and Tiptree:  they are top of the league, and unbeaten in the league and 2 cup competitions.  
Posted by: golfer, November 15, 2019, 7:21pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from diehardmariner

I already suggested it and got red x's-people are not amused
Posted by: golfer, November 15, 2019, 7:30pm; Reply: 88
It looks pretty obvious to me Robbie Stockdale and we will have Jack Ross to thank for it. When Robbie was holding the reigns at Sunderland Jack Ross stepped in-no more Robbie. Assistant at Hibs. Jack Ross odds on to be manager-no more Robbie.  Fenty hears this-Robbie wants a job-no more Jolley
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 15, 2019, 7:48pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from marinerdazza
Just a gentle reminder that it’s not 1972.

My God! It isn't? No wonder I can't find the Barratt Stand.
Posted by: mariner91, November 15, 2019, 7:51pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from Poojah

Ian Evatt is a good shout actually. I work with the brother of Barrow’s keeper who incidentally was training with Town for a few months last season after leaving Hull. Apparently he’s a top bloke and has got Barrow playing some tremendous, passing football this season.

They have a tiny budget but he’s got them right up there. Worth some consideration.  

Or Tim Flowers. Done a great job at Solihull. Either would be interesting appointments.
Posted by: marinerdazza, November 15, 2019, 7:56pm; Reply: 91

My God! It isn't? No wonder I can't find the Barratt Stand.

Then why on earth are you going on about McMenemy? I mean Christ almighty. Every time we sack a manager I think it won’t happen. But here we are.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 15, 2019, 8:00pm; Reply: 92
A friend of mine who’s a County STH  said when Kewell was at Notts he wanted to play good football but had Nolan’s squad so couldn’t I’d suggest whoever came in would need to manage their expectations on what could be achieved with this group.

I’m not bothered as long as they get the ball down, stick with the same back 4 for more than 2 games and have a very large network of contacts as I think ultimately that may have caught Jolley out.  
Posted by: golfer, November 15, 2019, 8:04pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from mariner91

Or Tim Flowers. Done a great job at Solihull. Either would be interesting appointments.

Please nobody else from Solihull
Posted by: golfer, November 15, 2019, 8:21pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from HertsGTFC
A friend of mine who’s a County STH  said when Kewell was at Notts he wanted to play good football but had Nolan’s squad so couldn’t I’d suggest whoever came in would need to manage their expectations on what could be achieved with this group.

I’m not bothered as long as they get the ball down, stick with the same back 4 for more than 2 games and have a very large network of contacts as I think ultimately that may have caught Jolley out.  

Thought Limbrick came with contacts as long as his arm.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 15, 2019, 8:25pm; Reply: 95
Maybe I'm just a bit hacked off still with all these shenanagins but just saying....who we want is of no significance at all

The board (JF) will appoint whoever he wants and any names proposed here that happen to fit in with his "plan" will be totally coincidental
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 15, 2019, 8:26pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from golfer

Short sleeved shirts say it all 😉
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 15, 2019, 8:26pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from golfer

He is from Australia that would have been his crime sheet 😄
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 15, 2019, 8:28pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from golfer

Is he thalidamide??..
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 15, 2019, 8:36pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from marinerdazza

Then why on earth are you going on about McMenemy? I mean Christ almighty. Every time we sack a manager I think it won’t happen. But here we are.

Ah I see. I sympathise. It must be very disturbing for you to see his suite every time you go to BP.   ;)
Posted by: Ipswin, November 15, 2019, 8:41pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

The board (JF) will appoint whoever he wants and any names proposed here that happen to fit in with his "plan" will be totally coincidental

Many on here agreed with Fenty's decision to appoint Jolley (together with the fact that he was so cheap he'd probably have paid us for the chance) and if anything the inexplicable torrent of support on here for Jolley probably persuaded Fenty as he saw it as a chance to show a) he listened and b) when it went mammaries up (as it was sure to do) it wasn't all his fault

Posted by: jimgtfc, November 15, 2019, 9:30pm; Reply: 101
I’d quite like us to have a conversation with Kevin Phillips who’s coaching at Sunderland. Recently overlooked for their managers job due to the fact he lacks experience so he could be interested. He’s certainly a big name in the game so should command respect in both the dressing room and stands, and has also done the rounds as a coach with Sunderland and Derby learning off some experienced managers. Could just be the opportunity he’s looking for.
Posted by: oochiad, November 15, 2019, 10:43pm; Reply: 102
We at least have some half decent players for this league as some of our better results have Shown. We need someone to organise them to play more attacking as per the Exeter game, Limbrick will no doubt get a chance and I hope he plays our players in the preferred positions. I sound desperate and I’ll admit I am but we do have a chance to turn it round, I feel we could get a result at Newport now where as b Ed ore today I’d resigned my self to a loss. UTM
Posted by: EY Mariner, November 15, 2019, 11:11pm; Reply: 103
It might be tough to get him (and I'd love to be a fly on the wall of any negotiations) but, while it won't boost my popularity in Norfolk, I'd go for Ian Culverhouse at King's Lynn Town. Currently second in National League North, having won promotion last season.
Posted by: Stew0_0, November 15, 2019, 11:24pm; Reply: 104
Tidsdale or Adkins for me. Renowned for producing good attacking football on not the highest budget available. Tidsdale had Exeter as a real force in league 2, Adkins had Scunthorpe in the championship and helped Hull up to a strong finish in the championship too as well as a period in the premier league.
Obviously Tidsdale the more realistic of the 2
Posted by: wiggers, November 16, 2019, 7:25am; Reply: 105
Harry Kewell
Posted by: WesternMariner, November 16, 2019, 7:37am; Reply: 106
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
Maybe I'm just a bit hacked off still but just to say, who we want is of no significance at all

He's got a plan? intercourse me, do you mean to say he’s had us fooled for all this time? That’s a bigger deception than Hitler thinking that the invasion was coming at the Pas de Calais.
Posted by: Mendonca1995, November 16, 2019, 7:48am; Reply: 107
Adkins, Jones, Heckingbottom or tisdale would be a dream for any town fan but in reality we all know it ain’t going to happen, I am sad to see jolley go I liked the guy and he’s done a lot for now and future fan engagement in our community and youth team players brought through etc etc but 2 wins in 15 in isn’t good enough in any football nowadays so the writing was on the wall good luck him and to the next man incharge but again it’s not going to be any of the above mentioned, unless the takeover is happening right now and whoever it is comes in and throws money at it which again is probably just another dream for us UTM
Posted by: Davec, November 16, 2019, 7:51am; Reply: 108
Forgive me for being thick but I'm seeing Jones mentioned, who is Jones? No suitable manager named Jones springs to mind unless I am missing somebody obvious?
Posted by: fiveallive, November 16, 2019, 7:52am; Reply: 109
I can't believe no one has mentioned David Flitcroft.
Posted by: Posh Harry, November 16, 2019, 7:53am; Reply: 110
Quoted from Davec
Forgive me for being thick but I'm seeing Jones mentioned, who is Jones? No suitable manager named Jones springs to mind unless I am missing somebody obvious?

Nathan Jones, ex Luton and stoke
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 16, 2019, 8:05am; Reply: 111
Quoted from Davec

Nathan Jones, that's who they're talking about Dave
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, November 16, 2019, 8:17am; Reply: 112
Quoted from fiveallive
I can't believe no one has mentioned David Flitcroft.

He has done alright statistically as a manager and I believe his teams try and play football.

However he has left all the clubs he has done under a cloud and usually to the jeers of the fans. You also have to consider that he was bankrolled to the heavens at Bury (hence their demise), was about as popular as Fenty is on here at Swindon and should have got Mansfield promoted easily only to somehow lead his team on a terrible run at the back end of last season.

Still has considerably more on his CV than our previous three managers (i.e a promotion! Bignot, Slade, Jolley) but I think he needs lots of money to have a chance of being a success.

Posted by: OllieGTFC, November 16, 2019, 9:36am; Reply: 113
Get Roy Keane in he might even get rid of Fenty aswell
Posted by: ROKERITE, November 16, 2019, 9:51am; Reply: 114
Quoted from jimgtfc
I’d quite like us to have a conversation with Kevin Phillips who’s coaching at Sunderland. Recently overlooked for their managers job due to the fact he lacks experience so he could be interested. He’s certainly a big name in the game so should command respect in both the dressing room and stands, and has also done the rounds as a coach with Sunderland and Derby learning off some experienced managers. Could just be the opportunity he’s looking for.

SuperKev isn't coaching here, he's currently unemployed apart from some media work as far as I'm aware. He was very keen on the manager's job which went to Parkinson last month. Many Sunderland supporters wanted Phillips to get the job though I wasn't one of them.
Kevin Phillips was one of the best players I ever saw play for us but he's had no official connection to the club since we sold him to Southampton in 2003. You're correct in saying Grimsby Town could be the opportunity he's looking for. How good he'd be is impossible to predict.
Posted by: Davec, November 16, 2019, 9:55am; Reply: 115
Oh Nathan Jones yes of course, how didn't I think of him
Posted by: 139914 (Guest), November 16, 2019, 10:08am; Reply: 116
So, looking back over the past 25 years or so and putting aside the questionable ability at board level.  Is it not the case that we’ve had 3 periods of relative success and on each occasion, with an ex non-league manager at the helm?  That therefore looks to be the natural choice?

I'm struggling to see where the funds for an established league manager, with any sort of recent success will come from.  There’s an ongoing policy of ‘investment clawback’ going on at the Club with no indication that the major shareholder will do the honourable thing when concluded.

Any chance of success in the foreseeable future is likely to be through a lucky cup draw or an even luckier appointment of someone who can do something with nothing.  It certainly won’t happen through ambition, investment and sound leadership.  I pray for one last period of success during whatever’s left of my life, at present that seems a forlorn hope and I turned 58 this year.....
Posted by: ROKERITE, November 16, 2019, 10:12am; Reply: 117
Quoted from Ipswin

Many on here agreed with Fenty's decision to appoint Jolley (together with the fact that he was so cheap he'd probably have paid us for the chance) and if anything the inexplicable torrent of support on here for Jolley probably persuaded Fenty as he saw it as a chance to show a) he listened and b) when it went mammaries up (as it was sure to do) it wasn't all his fault

It was more than agreeing with Fenty's decision, it was the supporters leading the call for Jolley to get the job. The short video of MJ explaining his tactics in a match in Sweden made a big impression. How keen Fenty ever was on Jolley is questionable. Over the years I've followed Grimsby's progress it has been Fenty's refusal to sack a manager, till months after it was obvious to everyone else how useless he was, that has been the constant factor. The decision to part company so soon with Jolley suggests he was never really Fenty's choice.
I thought MJ was an exciting, interesting and popular appointment. There was nothing certain about it failing to work out. I don't think this is the end of his career in football management. I hope it's not.

Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 16, 2019, 10:13am; Reply: 118
Paul Heckingbottom, young at 42 so not jaded, managed over 150 games at bigger clubs, Hibernian, Leeds and did a terrific job at Barnsley. He's played and managed relatively locally, will have local contacts. Maybe location would help us on this occasion. He's available as well, his number two has been Robbie Stockdale who knows the club (that may not help lol).

Or is he an over ambitious target?
Posted by: AdamHaddock, November 16, 2019, 10:35am; Reply: 119
Stendel or Jones would be very good appointments and a statement of intent.

Sadly knowing this club we'll probably end up with the likes of Wilcox or Hignett, or an ex- town player.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, November 16, 2019, 10:38am; Reply: 120
Anyone who realises their is two goal mouths on the pitch does not think you need 10 men back every time you defend a corner and realises the best form of defence is attack
Posted by: Mariners_15, November 16, 2019, 10:38am; Reply: 121
Just throwing a name out there, Ian Barraclough? Has been managing the Northern Ireland U21's for a couple of years and doing some good work over there? Might want to get back into club football?
Posted by: meggietown, November 16, 2019, 10:45am; Reply: 122
Harry kewell maybe
Posted by: Mariners_15, November 16, 2019, 10:45am; Reply: 123
I wonder if it's also worth considering a different approach? A director of football and head coach setup?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 16, 2019, 10:58am; Reply: 124
Quoted from Mariners_15
Just throwing a name out there, Ian Barraclough? Has been managing the Northern Ireland U21's for a couple of years and doing some good work over there? Might want to get back into club football?

Too highly thought of over here by the norn iron fa. His name has been touted around for the main job. Warren feeney was on the wireless over here last week saying baraclough epitomises the new style managers as he feeds off what they learn at their respective clubs
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 16, 2019, 11:06am; Reply: 125
Not Jones please, another manager who likes sticking square pegs in round holes (Ask the Stokies), and his success at Luton was on a pretty good budget for our league, he would need to work with peanuts here.
Posted by: rancido, November 16, 2019, 11:08am; Reply: 126
Quoted from Davec

.... and then along came Jones
Slow walking Jones, slow talking Joned
Along came long, lean, lanky Jones.
Posted by: jimgtfc, November 16, 2019, 11:25am; Reply: 127
Quoted from ROKERITE

SuperKev isn't coaching here, he's currently unemployed apart from some media work as far as I'm aware. He was very keen on the manager's job which went to Parkinson last month. Many Sunderland supporters wanted Phillips to get the job though I wasn't one of them.
Kevin Phillips was one of the best players I ever saw play for us but he's had no official connection to the club since we sold him to Southampton in 2003. You're correct in saying Grimsby Town could be the opportunity he's looking for. How good he'd be is impossible to predict.

Thanks for that, not sure why I dreamt up he was coaching up there then. I think that’s the type of appointment I’d be looking to make, a well respected former pro who’s done the coaching badges, spent time coaching at clubs learning from managers and are looking for an opportunity. Just because this hasn’t entirely worked with MJ (don’t think he did a bad job by the way) I don’t think it was the wrong direction to go in.
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 16, 2019, 11:25am; Reply: 128
Quoted from Davec

Here's another wee aide memoire for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSSpPkMlb98
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 16, 2019, 11:33am; Reply: 129
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Anyone who realises their is two goal mouths on the pitch does not think you need 10 men back every time you defend a corner and realises the best form of defence is attack

Jolley had FOUR back against ONE Newport player when we had a corner last week! We had hardly anyone in their box. Sacked himself.
Posted by: mariner91, November 16, 2019, 11:42am; Reply: 130
Quoted from ROKERITE

It was more than agreeing with Fenty's decision, it was the supporters leading the call for Jolley to get the job. The short video of MJ explaining his tactics in a match in Sweden made a big impression. How keen Fenty ever was on Jolley is questionable. Over the years I've followed Grimsby's progress it has been Fenty's refusal to sack a manager, till months after it was obvious to everyone else how useless he was, that has been the constant factor. The decision to part company so soon with Jolley suggests he was never really Fenty's choice.
I thought MJ was an exciting, interesting and popular appointment. There was nothing certain about it failing to work out. I don't think this is the end of his career in football management. I hope it's not.

I disagree. His record stands at failing to stop a team being relegated in Sweden and not achieving particularly much here in 18 months. Yes he did well to keep us up but there was a large slice of luck involved with that which people would see if they did the proper checks on his background. Beyond that we finished 17th last season, going on some horrendous losing streaks and only scoring 45 goals all season in the league. After a good start to this season, amplified by Hanson hitting a purple patch of form, he had no answers when our only threat has been closed off and has resorted to a horrendous brand of dysfunctional, boring and negative tactics which seem to change every week resulting in performances that were arguably worse than the worst of the performances under Slade.

There's nothing in his record to attract a FL team to take a punt on him, even Hurst who has won several promotions and did a wonderful job at Shrewsbury struggled to get employment again after Ipswich and Jolley doesn't have anything like as good a record. The fact that Jolley hasn't signed a single non-league player, usually a good and sensible potential resource for a L2 team on a budget, would suggest that his knowledge of non-league is virtually non-existent so I don't think he'd drop down to that level. And why would a club hire a manager with no history of success and no knowledge of the level they're at?

He's supposedly left by mutual consent and there were signs recently that the strain of management were starting to tell. He's also blocked quite a few Town fans on Twitter for criticising him on that platform which I would argue suggests he's got a fairly thin skin which you can't have if you want to be successful in management. I can't see him getting another management job, he'll go back to coaching under 23s.
Posted by: dicko995, November 16, 2019, 11:42am; Reply: 131
Give the job to Chris Kamara, he,d be Unbelievable :)
Posted by: Hagrid, November 16, 2019, 11:48am; Reply: 132
I see many slating Wilcox but i dont think he’d be a bad shout. Did a good job at scunny.
Posted by: Davec, November 16, 2019, 11:55am; Reply: 133
Quoted from Hagrid
I see many slating Wilcox but i dont think he’d be a bad shout. Did a good job at scunny.

No thanks, not managed for over 4 years and he isn't even employed in a coaching role now
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 16, 2019, 12:21pm; Reply: 134
Quoted from Mariners_15
I wonder if it's also worth considering a different approach? A director of football and head coach setup?

Two wages, I'd rather have an extra player. The 'Director of football' would have virtually no resources to do his job which would be improving and supporting the scouting network, acquiring and supporting different types of analysts, various coaching and fitness staff etc.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 16, 2019, 7:51pm; Reply: 135
Ian Culverhouse Is doing a really good job at Kings Lynn by the looks of it. NLN to L2 is a bit of a jump I get but I’d rather have someone coming up than the “usual suspects”.  
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 16, 2019, 7:53pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from Davec

No thanks, not managed for over 4 years and he isn't even employed in a coaching role now

You sure about that Dave, thought he was now involved with their youth set up ..broke their record with, I think, a 27 game unbeaten run...
Posted by: bawarmy, November 16, 2019, 7:54pm; Reply: 137
Anyone mentioned Andy Hessenthaler. Decent win ratio and experienced.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 16, 2019, 8:08pm; Reply: 138
Quoted from bawarmy
Anyone mentioned Andy Hessenthaler. Decent win ratio and experienced.

His son would be first on the team sheet that's for sure...😂😂
Posted by: bawarmy, November 16, 2019, 10:14pm; Reply: 139
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

His son would be first on the team sheet that's for sure...😂😂

And that’s not a bad thing
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 16, 2019, 10:15pm; Reply: 140
Quoted from bawarmy

And that’s not a bad thing

Absolutely agree, he's been our best and most consistent performer..
Posted by: Davec, November 16, 2019, 10:18pm; Reply: 141

You sure about that Dave, thought he was now involved with their youth set up ..broke their record with, I think, a 27 game unbeaten run...

Head of player recruitment at Donny
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 17, 2019, 7:02am; Reply: 142
Quoted from Davec

Hate to be a pedant Dave but Wikipedia is out of date, he took over the under 23s at Scunthorpe this year...
Posted by: Hagrid, November 17, 2019, 7:35am; Reply: 143
Quoted from Davec

Wrong Aaron
Posted by: H19P1, November 17, 2019, 8:10am; Reply: 144
Caretaker manager for a few weeks to see the takeover through, settle down and then the new crop of leaders will bring in their management team.

This to unfold prior to Christmas and ready for January transfer window.

With all this negativity (rightly so) a big positive may come out of this 🖋

😉🤝👍
Posted by: GrimRob, November 17, 2019, 8:14am; Reply: 145
Now it's clear that MJ was sacked for non football reasons it becomes clearer to me that AL should be given a decent crack at this himself. We are not a million miles off and he is best placed to get the most out of the players we have.
Posted by: chaos33, November 17, 2019, 8:21am; Reply: 146
First of all it’s not clear if he was ‘sacked’ at all. Secondly, what makes you say he was sacked for ‘non football’ reasons?
You think he was dismissed for this outburst some weeks ago?
It’s not as if the ‘football’ was going well is it. Must have been a combination of factors that led to the parting.
Posted by: Stadium, November 17, 2019, 10:15am; Reply: 147
Quoted from GrimRob
Now it's clear that MJ was sacked for non football reasons it becomes clearer to me that AL should be given a decent crack at this himself. We are not a million miles off and he is best placed to get the most out of the players we have.

Definitely not.
How have you come to that conclusion??
Also what was MJ actually dismissed for?
Are you confirming it was the leaked interview that led to it?
Posted by: GrimRob, November 17, 2019, 4:07pm; Reply: 148
Quoted from Stadium

Definitely not.
How have you come to that conclusion??
Also what was MJ actually dismissed for?
Are you confirming it was the leaked interview that led to it?

The football reasons were simply not compelling enough to sack him.We've barely played for weeks!
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), November 17, 2019, 4:12pm; Reply: 149
Ian Evatt - Barrow
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 17, 2019, 4:24pm; Reply: 150
Quoted from GrimRob

The football reasons were simply not compelling enough to sack him.We've barely played for weeks!

I know you love continuity but this is continuity for continuity's sake (that was hard to type)  in terms of you wanting to give the job to Limbrick.

All well and good when you are successful and want to hand the reins to the next in line,  but this would just be rewarding failure. AL has been on the training ground every day, supposedly coaching these players. What would be the point of more of the same?

I know Jolley was the man with the ultimate say, bet even so.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 17, 2019, 4:41pm; Reply: 151

I know you love continuity but this is continuity for continuity's sake (that was hard to type)  in terms of you wanting to give the job to Limbrick.

All well and good when you are successful and want to hand the reins to the next in line,  but this would just be rewarding failure. AL has been on the training ground every day, supposedly coaching these players. What would be the point of more of the same?

I know Jolley was the man with the ultimate say, bet even so.

Absolutely with you....the only thing that could change my opinion on limbrick being as guilty as Jolley for the shite we've had to endure is if comes out and says Jolley never listened to a word he says and did his own thing regardless of limbricks input...which I very much doubt he'll ever say.  
Posted by: Saudimariner, November 17, 2019, 5:37pm; Reply: 152
Quoted from Posh Harry

Nathan Jones, ex Luton and stoke

Nathan Jones, he's been gone too long....I'll get me coat
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 17, 2019, 5:41pm; Reply: 153
Quoted from Saudimariner

Not as long as Casey Jones, one for us older posters   :)

Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 17, 2019, 5:50pm; Reply: 154

Not as long as Casey Jones, one for us older posters   :)

Ahh the Cannonball Express. Classic.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 17, 2019, 9:13pm; Reply: 155
Quoted from Davec

Was it because he's been gone too long?  ;)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 17, 2019, 9:34pm; Reply: 156
Quoted from Saudimariner

Beat me to it Saudi.... just like when I was doing cross country at school, it was always a case of "keep up at the back"  ;)
Posted by: friskneymariner, November 17, 2019, 9:39pm; Reply: 157
Quoted from Saudimariner

We was interested him when Jolley was appointed but he never rang ,he never called.
Posted by: Alfie, November 17, 2019, 10:31pm; Reply: 158
Would give Limbrick six games, make a call after that
Posted by: chaos33, November 17, 2019, 10:53pm; Reply: 159
Six games would take us to Christmas week wouldn’t it? With January transfer window opening then and it being really important for us, I suspect, in reality he won’t get that unless we are flying. I think moves to speak to other interested parties will surely be underway quite quickly.
Posted by: Sigone, November 17, 2019, 10:54pm; Reply: 160
New guy has to have time to assess squad before Jan transfer window..if that's limbrick..then fine we go to the e.o.s at least if not then we need someone in fairly soon.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 17, 2019, 11:11pm; Reply: 161
If we lose to Newport then he will.not get the job.

If we beat Newport but lose to Tiptree he will not get the job.

Win both and he will stand a chance.
Posted by: Stadium, December 7, 2019, 5:32pm; Reply: 162
Quoted from GrimRob

Whats your latest assessment after today's game??
Posted by: Stadium, December 7, 2019, 5:33pm; Reply: 163
Quoted from Alfie
Would give Limbrick six games, make a call after that

Still going with that after today??
Important window coming up........
Posted by: jonnyboy82, December 7, 2019, 5:34pm; Reply: 164
Wouldn't give him another six minutes.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, December 7, 2019, 5:54pm; Reply: 165
Wally Downes is available after a ridiculously long ban for a £30 double bet . Performed a miracle for AFC Wimbledon last year to keep them up . We need a character to lift the club and he’s definitely a character.
Posted by: Ipswin, December 7, 2019, 6:00pm; Reply: 166
It matters little who we appoint, the squad is just not good enough and no manager is going to change the current batch of sows ears into silk purses
Posted by: Stadium, December 7, 2019, 6:02pm; Reply: 167
Quoted from Ipswin
It matters little who we appoint, the squad is just not good enough and no manager is going to change the current batch of sows ears into silk purses

So your quite happy with AL then?
Let him decide what is needed in Jan?
Posted by: denni266, December 7, 2019, 6:06pm; Reply: 168
Fans keep going on about the next window, the next season etc  its alwase the next somert or other,,  and it has been stated that there is nothing for the jan window as it has all bee spent,, er i mean wasted
Posted by: Ipswin, December 7, 2019, 6:45pm; Reply: 169
Quoted from Stadium

So your quite happy with AL then?
Let him decide what is needed in Jan?

Its not a case of being 'happy' with Limbrick (or anyone else for that matter) I think the squad is simply not good enough whoever sits in the manager's chair and a couple of cheap over the hill signings in January (brought in under the guise of 'steadying the ship') with two or three going out (which two or three is a difficult one, there are lots of candidates in fact as Fenty said it will be ;one in one out' could we do 12 or 14 out and 12 or 14 in) - it can't be much worse.
And more importantly its not a case of who we want its more a matter of who is going to want to come to Grimsby Town anyway. A former merchant baker come subbuteo manager maybe or perhaps a six time sacked long in the tooth div 3 or 4 manager or maybe a Vanarama North chap who has won a couple of games?
Not a great prospect are we?

Posted by: Stadium, December 7, 2019, 7:04pm; Reply: 170
Quoted from Ipswin

Its not a case of being 'happy' with Limbrick (or anyone else for that matter) I think the squad is simply not good enough whoever sits in the manager's chair and a couple of cheap over the hill signings in January (brought in under the guise of 'steadying the ship') with two or three going out (which two or three is a difficult one, there are lots of candidates in fact as Fenty said it will be ;one in one out' could we do 12 or 14 out and 12 or 14 in) - it can't be much worse.
And more importantly its not a case of who we want its more a matter of who is going to want to come to Grimsby Town anyway. A former merchant baker come subbuteo manager maybe or perhaps a six time sacked long in the tooth div 3 or 4 manager or maybe a Vanarama North chap who has won a couple of games?

Yes but your quote was it didn't matter who was in charge.
Its obvious the squad requires improvement but your stating that the current manager or any incoming one would have no effect at all.
Frankly the tired line around who would want the job is quite silly really.
Posted by: hheh2, December 7, 2019, 7:16pm; Reply: 171
Quoted from Ipswin

I don't think we are that unattractive. League two just doesn't attract the well named seasoned managers, it is a learn your professional trade league.

We have tried old and experienced, it didnt work out, we have tried young and upcoming and there was teathing problems.

Maybe it is time for middle ground, experienced but with a pull factor that will draw in a certain player market.

We need a management team not just a single manager.
Posted by: Ipswin, December 7, 2019, 7:24pm; Reply: 172
Quoted from Stadium

Frankly the tired line around who would want the job is quite silly really.

Really, you think so? We'll never know who applied of course  but you can bet your life that whoever is appointed will be a) another unknown on the cheap or b) another old failure with 10 previous clubs. The list of top quality applicants will probably match our winning run

Posted by: promotion plaice, December 7, 2019, 7:34pm; Reply: 173

I think Pep might become available soon...just saying.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 7, 2019, 7:37pm; Reply: 174
Quoted from Ipswin

Really, you think so? We'll never know who applied of course  but you can bet your life that whoever is appointed will be a) another unknown on the cheap or b) another old failure with 10 previous clubs. The list of top quality applicants will probably match our winning run

At the end of the day Swin, our budget holder will control who we get in...and we all know our budget for a manager is as tight as a ducks rear...
Does worry me that eventually our super skinny budget will see our demise and at the moment we can only thank our lucky stars that there's only 1 club leaves this league this year.
In fairness our squad isn't that bad, but I don't think it's any better than lower third of the league...
We need a manager like Wally Downes if you ask me.
Posted by: Grimal, December 7, 2019, 7:45pm; Reply: 175

At the end of the day Swin, our budget holder will control who we get in...and we all know our budget for a manager is as tight as a ducks rear...
Does worry me that eventually our super skinny budget will see our demise and at the moment we can only thank our lucky stars that there's only 1 club leaves this league this year.
In fairness our squad isn't that bad, but I don't think it's any better than lower third of the league...
We need a manager like Wally Downes if you ask me.

We will need to thank more than our lucky stars,the way we are playing at the moment it's quite possible that one club could be us. :-/
Posted by: smokey111, December 7, 2019, 7:46pm; Reply: 176

I think Pep might become available soon...just saying.

Not sure David Burns would see it as an ambitious appointment.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, December 7, 2019, 8:51pm; Reply: 177
Quoted from smokey111

Not sure David Burns would see it as an ambitious appointment.

Another journeyman on his way down!
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, December 7, 2019, 9:16pm; Reply: 178
Fenty needs to be on the phone to Steve Evans, asking what he wants to take the job!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 7, 2019, 9:21pm; Reply: 179
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Fenty needs to be on the phone to Steve Evans, asking what he wants to take the job!

Clearly that next manager will need to be a character but have an even bigger character to sort this fcuk up out.
Posted by: Grimal, December 7, 2019, 9:53pm; Reply: 180
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Why would he leave the Gills to come here ?, when he has been to BP he's spent most of his time up in the mainstand or sat on the team coach. ;)

Posted by: BackHeelTony, December 7, 2019, 11:18pm; Reply: 181
Steve Watson would be my choice
Posted by: Abdul19, December 7, 2019, 11:47pm; Reply: 182
Any manager who can do this is worth a punt

https://youtu.be/Yr6Kx5uts84
Posted by: AdamHaddock, December 8, 2019, 1:23am; Reply: 183
See if Allardyce fancies hoofing us to safety
Posted by: Stadium, December 8, 2019, 11:11am; Reply: 184
Quoted from Ipswin

As suspected,roll out the same old lines.
Take a look around the league's and football in general.
Plenty of potential managers,the problem is the selection process not the availability of candidates.
There's never going to be a shortage of applications.
Oh & plenty of clubs running minimal budgets too.

Posted by: ROKERITE, December 8, 2019, 1:31pm; Reply: 185
A supporter wrote a few days ago about his Notts Co supporting mate's view that Nolan would be good but Kewell not. I think Nolan would be a mistake but Kewell a very interesting choice. Michael Bridges would be my pick if it was to be a first time manager.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, December 8, 2019, 1:34pm; Reply: 186
Kewell No, Nolan No, Bridges no idea  
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 8, 2019, 1:47pm; Reply: 187
Said it before and I’ll say it again..... we will just get what we’re given and we’ll either like it or lump it 😕
Posted by: crusty ole pie, December 8, 2019, 1:49pm; Reply: 188
A new brush not a replacement head or shaft please
Posted by: sisapon, December 8, 2019, 2:05pm; Reply: 189
trigger is out the running then.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 8, 2019, 9:18pm; Reply: 190
It's bad to see the front runners for the job.

There's not a household name , not someone that's known in the football ranks.
Let's face it, were left with people that want the job. That's not a bad thing is it?
At least we will get people that WANT the position
Posted by: Quagmire, December 9, 2019, 7:13am; Reply: 191
Ultimately, the amount we're willing to pay is going to reduce potential candidates down to either guys with no/limited experience who want to get their foot on the ladder or has beens who've failed at previous jobs and are on their way down.

The salary that JF is willing to pay automatically reduces our options.  We're not proactive in our appointments either.  We sit back and wait for people to apply for the role.  We don't go out and actively approach.

Is it time we pushed the boat out a bit to attract the right guy, because ultimately we end up paying further down the line anyway.

Every 18 months or so we end up paying for two managers and their assistants, so why not bite the bullet and pay that from the start.

Slade + Jolley + Wilkinson

Jolley + AN Other + Limbrick + Poss New Assistant

Plus all of the turnover on the playing side as each new manager brings 'his' players to the club, it's why we have such a churn of players coming and going every single year.

The salary that we pay ends up being a false economy.

Push the boat out for someone who can turn this around and is likely to be here for a period of time, someone who can galvanise the club and lift the fanbase.

Ask Nige Adkins to name his price and then pay it.  
Posted by: sam gy, December 9, 2019, 12:16pm; Reply: 192
Why on earth would Adkins come here? He’s proved recently with Hull that he’s Championship standard still – and didn’t he leave them because of the crap board??
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, December 9, 2019, 12:33pm; Reply: 193
Is the managers salary counted as spend within the salary cap?
Posted by: Rik e B, December 9, 2019, 12:34pm; Reply: 194
Not a chance he'd come or we could afford.
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), December 9, 2019, 1:28pm; Reply: 195
perhaps we should appoint GTFC womens manager, they dont appear to have trouble finding the net ;)
Posted by: Rik e B, December 9, 2019, 1:37pm; Reply: 196
Well Shakey's out the picture... appointed Number 2 at Watford.
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 9, 2019, 1:59pm; Reply: 197
The quality on the shortlist does not bother me ,

Its the quality of the person who will appoint that does bother me.

How many times has he got it wrong.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 9, 2019, 3:05pm; Reply: 198
Quoted from Rik e B
Well Shakey's out the picture... appointed Number 2 at Watford.

Give it a month!
Posted by: Marinerdan, December 9, 2019, 4:39pm; Reply: 199
Very much doubt it’s anything to do with us but I’ve just walked past Alan Curbishley in Doncaster.
Posted by: Heisenberg, December 9, 2019, 4:48pm; Reply: 200
Quoted from grimsby pete
The quality on the shortlist does not bother me ,

Its the quality of the person who will appoint that does bother me.

How many times has he got it wrong.

It was the huge majority on here who wanted Jolley, and we got him.......
Posted by: Rik e B, December 9, 2019, 5:17pm; Reply: 201
Without a setup and environment conducive for success put in place by the powers above most managers would struggle and ultimately fail as they flogging a dead horse.

Only someone who can work wonders with a shoestring budget like when Sir Alan first came could have any monicum of success - at least we got decent youth prospects if we can get someone with great contacts who can pluck us some non-league gems.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, December 9, 2019, 6:16pm; Reply: 202
I admit that I wanted Jolley.  Thing is though, it is not my responsibility to select a new manager.
Posted by: psgmariner, December 9, 2019, 6:46pm; Reply: 203
Everyone on here wanted Jolley (except ipswin) and he was a disaster after keeping us up. Not been a more popular appointment since Mike Newell. Perhaps it’s time for us all to admit we all know f all.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 9, 2019, 7:46pm; Reply: 204
Quoted from psgmariner
Everyone on here wanted Jolley (except ipswin) and he was a disaster after keeping us up. Not been a more popular appointment since Mike Newell. Perhaps it’s time for us all to admit we all know f all.

Erm, not me, I tend to stay out of the arguments about "he is going to be a great manager" or "I don't want him" I wait to see how they do. :P
Posted by: rancido, December 9, 2019, 9:00pm; Reply: 205
It seems to be a recurring theme on here that the budget and managers salary are a hindrance to our success. Now I don't know the budget and although MJ made reference to it , it is still an unknown factor. I seem to recall though that after MJ's spat there was some reference that it was in the top 10 in our league but I can't remember where I saw it. As far as the manager salary is concerned , again none of us know but just posters inferences that it is low. One thing is sure is that there is an enormous amount of conjecture on here over two subjects that actually nobody on The Fishy knows positively anything about.
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 9, 2019, 9:07pm; Reply: 206

Who needs a manager, let's just have a poll every week who plays and the system   :)
Posted by: Civvy at last, December 9, 2019, 9:28pm; Reply: 207
Quoted from psgmariner
Perhaps it’s time for us all to admit we all know f all.

I know f all about cooking.

But when I’m paying  for a meal I expect it to be cooked by someone that fking does !!!
Posted by: Heisenberg, December 9, 2019, 10:03pm; Reply: 208
Quoted from rancido
It seems to be a recurring theme on here that the budget and managers salary are a hindrance to our success. Now I don't know the budget and although MJ made reference to it , it is still an unknown factor. I seem to recall though that after MJ's spat there was some reference that it was in the top 10 in our league but I can't remember where I saw it. As far as the manager salary is concerned , again none of us know but just posters inferences that it is low. One thing is sure is that there is an enormous amount of conjecture on here over two subjects that actually nobody on The Fishy knows positively anything about.

Fenty was quite transparent with the budget, saying he believed ours was between 8th and 12th. It was in one of those interviews he did to clear up the MJ rumours. There’s absolutely no excuse for this squad to be playing in the manner that we are currently seeing.
Posted by: monkeyboy, December 10, 2019, 6:50am; Reply: 209
Curtis Woodhouse anyone?
Posted by: Davec, December 10, 2019, 7:40am; Reply: 210
Quoted from monkeyboy
Curtis Woodhouse anyone?

Please no! Manager of Gainsborough Trinity who are rock bottom of the Northern Premier league
Posted by: Abdul19, December 10, 2019, 9:03am; Reply: 211
Quoted from Davec

Please no! Manager of Gainsborough Trinity who are rock bottom of the Northern Premier league

Knows the club though. Those 4 months nearly 14 years ago can't be sniffed at.
Posted by: Rik e B, December 10, 2019, 9:39am; Reply: 212
Doigy would.
Posted by: monkeyboy, December 10, 2019, 2:33pm; Reply: 213
Quoted from Davec

p.s it was a joke.

We need someone in though . knowing the club isnt a major thing.

I would seriously have a look at Ben Davies tho, got some recent knowledge of players, tactics/training and is still well regarded in the game with a wealth of contacts.
Posted by: Rik e B, December 10, 2019, 5:07pm; Reply: 214
As a coach or assistant would be fine, but a giant leap of faith installing him as head honcho.
Posted by: Yoda, December 10, 2019, 5:38pm; Reply: 215
Kevin Nolan if he wants it.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 12:25pm