Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, November 14, 2019, 9:13pm
Just a bit of fun here.......to lighten the mood in days of darkness!

Does anyone remember when players didn’t get full pay in the close season.......?

I knew a town captain that sold ice cream in a van in the summer months.......answers on a postcard.....?

Clues available to anyone under 60 !
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 14, 2019, 9:24pm; Reply: 1
Well fairly certain Dave Boylen said he did and I think Dave Worthington did as well. Is he the captain you’re thinking of?
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, November 14, 2019, 9:31pm; Reply: 2
Spot on........Dave Worthington.......
I saw him at BP a year or so ago and he works as some football agent I think for Valencia....
I used to ply football with his son in Beacon Court in Cleethorpes........my claim to fame. Think his name was Gary?
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, November 14, 2019, 9:57pm; Reply: 3
Well fairly certain Dave Boylen said he did and I think Dave Worthington did as well. Is he the captain you’re thinking of?

No, Boylen could not reach out of an ice cream van to sell any.  ;D ;D ;D

Posted by: jock dock tower, November 14, 2019, 10:24pm; Reply: 4
Wortho also used to take football training sessions at the leisure centre in Ladysmith Road in the early 70s. Was his star pupil one night!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 15, 2019, 10:33am; Reply: 5
My mum worked in a beer-off on Brereton Avenue when Dave played for us

He used to go in there of an evening ( she never told me what he bought ) but she always used to say that nice Town player had been in there again and how pleased I'd have been to see him

Of course I would have been mum!!! Never got the chance though

I distinctly remember one game I went to see Town play in at home to Shewsbury and he scored for us

Me and my mates were down in the boys paddock area and we started to sing a song from a TV beer ad at that time

Something along the lines of   "What about a Worthington..... you're right!"  

UTM
Posted by: Brazilnut, November 15, 2019, 10:39am; Reply: 6
Sir Bobby C laboured for an electrician  in the summer can remember seeing him at Matthew humberston  school once working in close season
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, November 15, 2019, 9:35pm; Reply: 7
I didn’t realise when I posted this that it was going to get darker!

All the town fans want is something to cheer about.........and get the feel good factor back.

Good luck to Dave Moore and co.......solid as a rock!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 15, 2019, 10:37pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Epworth Mariner
I didn’t realise when I posted this that it was going to get darker!

All the town fans want is something to cheer about.........and get the feel good factor back.

Good luck to Dave Moore and co.......solid as a rock!

Not surprised sitting all winter in those shorts.

The only other person I've seen do that is the caretaker at my older kids' primary school. He used to be outdoors all year round in his shorts.

Used to be a well-known amateur athlete in the 70s. Him and his twin brother : the Tuck brothers. Yes they had those droopy moustaches. Wonder if they got any royalties off 118 118.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 11:54pm