Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Sweden, November 10, 2019, 10:29am
It takes too long in league 2 to put the ball into play. In Sweden in the highest series there are 6 extra balls 1 on each long side and 2 behind the goal one on each side of the goal. More flow in the game, more fun to watch. Wonder what Grimsby's effective playing time looks like.                                                                                                                                          https://football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2019/wp272/en/
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 10, 2019, 10:43am; Reply: 1
It feels like we’ve not had any effective playing time for ages
Posted by: moosey_club, November 10, 2019, 2:32pm; Reply: 2
We have the option of multiball i think, i am sure you just have to inform the opposition that it is in operation and you can use it....but that would mean having ballboys who actually understand what they are there for, ie retreiving the ball.....ours just sit in pairs chatting to each other and ignore the ball by and large.

Posted by: Gaffer58, November 10, 2019, 2:59pm; Reply: 3
Some years ago Sky would put up actual ball in play time at the end of the game, the minutes were always between 40 and 50 minutes, so basically we sit there having to whatch the boats on the Humber for halve of the 90 minutes.
Posted by: Mallyner, November 10, 2019, 3:58pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Gaffer58
Some years ago Sky would put up actual ball in play time at the end of the game, the minutes were always between 40 and 50 minutes, so basically we sit there having to whatch the boats on the Humber for halve of the 90 minutes.

I have been to quite a lot of games over the years, where watching 90 minutes of boats in the Humber, was far more interesting.  :)
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 10, 2019, 5:29pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from moosey_club
We have the option of multiball i think, i am sure you just have to inform the opposition that it is in operation and you can use it....but that would mean having ballboys who actually understand what they are there for, ie retreiving the ball.....ours just sit in pairs chatting to each other and ignore the ball by and large.

Indeed. The relatively simple task of getting ball boys who know what they are there for seems beyond our club. Like everything else it is a bloody joke.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 10, 2019, 5:52pm; Reply: 6
I would rather have some effective players.
Posted by: mimma, November 10, 2019, 6:12pm; Reply: 7
Don't understand why football cant copy rugby. When there's a stoppage the clock stops. Simple!

Also the ball has to go out of play to end each half instead of the ref deciding when to blow.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, November 10, 2019, 6:37pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from moosey_club

Quoted Text
33.20 Multiple Balls.  No Club shall be entitled to utilise a 'multiple ball' system in any League Match.

From the EFL web site.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 10, 2019, 7:11pm; Reply: 9
What you have to understand Sweden is,

We play better when the ball is out of play.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 10, 2019, 9:36pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

From the EFL web site.

Cheers for that. Honestly thought it was still in use.
Posted by: rancido, November 11, 2019, 9:05am; Reply: 11
What about using Youth and Junior players as ball boys? It could make them feel part of the first team and the whole club structure.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 11, 2019, 10:50pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from rancido
What about using Youth and Junior players as ball boys? It could make them feel part of the first team and the whole club structure.

You will be asking them to clean the players boots next  ;D
Posted by: Rik e B, November 12, 2019, 12:12am; Reply: 13
Effective players would be a start.
Posted by: golfer, November 12, 2019, 8:56am; Reply: 14

Indeed. The relatively simple task of getting ball boys who know what they are there for seems beyond our club. Like everything else it is a bloody joke.

I don't know if they were supposed to be ball boys or not but on Saturday I noticed that there were several groups of young lads huddled together because of the cold sat with their backs to the hoarding in various places round the pitch. When the ball went near them they didn't move at all to retrieve said object.Maybe they were as pssed off as the rest of us-and who can blame them.
Posted by: golfer, November 12, 2019, 9:00am; Reply: 15
Could the ball boys be used on the training ground to convey the managers instructions to the players-or show them physically what he is trying to say=if he is saying anything
Posted by: diehardmariner, November 12, 2019, 12:54pm; Reply: 16
One of the things that often gets suggested in the summer changes every year, along with daft ideas like bigger goals, is a change to the timings.  Much like the rugby model above, whereby the game is say 60 minutes long with the clock stopped as soon as it goes out of play.

I've mixed feelings on that one.  Part of me is all in favour of anything that stops time-wasting, or at least makes it redundant.  But then the introduction of something like this would probably be done as a backdoor way of introducing adverts for natural breaks in the game, much like how VAR will inevitably go before too long...

This throw-in was brought to you by Ford.
Posted by: Garth, November 12, 2019, 1:00pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from rancido

Surely there above that
Posted by: wigworld, November 12, 2019, 1:07pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from golfer
Could the ball boys be used on the training ground to convey the managers instructions to the players-or show them physically what he is trying to say=if he is saying anything

Just give them all training tops that are printed with, 'Hoof it to Hanson'.
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 12, 2019, 1:09pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from diehardmariner
One of the things that often gets suggested in the summer changes every year, along with daft ideas like bigger goals, is a change to the timings.  Much like the rugby model above, whereby the game is say 60 minutes long with the clock stopped as soon as it goes out of play.

I've mixed feelings on that one.  Part of me is all in favour of anything that stops time-wasting, or at least makes it redundant.  But then the introduction of something like this would probably be done as a backdoor way of introducing adverts for natural breaks in the game, much like how VAR will inevitably go before too long...

This throw-in was brought to you by Ford.

Normally quite a long one into the box  :)

(Only people of a certain age will get that one) (wheelchair)
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 7:36am