Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, November 4, 2019, 7:09pm
Following up from my first post.......Gordon Walker obviously was better than I thought!

Speaking of flashes in the pan, a Cod Almighty reader wrote to me last week to tell me that he used to work with one of my all-time favourite Town players: Gordon Walker. Mark Fenton tells me that after leaving Town, Gordon returned to Northern Premier League football and scored shedloads of goals for Stocksbridge Park Steels. Mark tells me that he and Gordon worked as posties together for about seven years, during which Gordon gained weight at an impressive rate. Gordon arrived on the Town scene, you may recall, in the '68-69 season, as a non-league signing to replace Town star Doug Collins, who was sold for (deep breath) £27,000. Gordon was a very big lad (think like Tony Crane size and shape) who somehow managed about four goals in his first five games. Then (and I can't be arsed to check my facts here), he 'never scored again', becoming an ironic hero for those of us standing in the open corner 'twixt the Pontoon and Barrett stands. Happy days.

I must admit i thought he was crap......but Bob Kennedy ......remember him thought he walked on water!
Posted by: mimma, November 4, 2019, 7:34pm; Reply: 1
I remember him! He was the tallest player in the league, and use to stand next to Diddy Dave Boylen at kick off. There was at least two foot in height between them. It was so funny.

There must be a photo of them somewhere out there, if so, could you please post it on here.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 4, 2019, 9:36pm; Reply: 2
I always thought Gordon Walker was tall and thin I didn't think he was a fat bottom like Crane.

Perhaps my memory is failing me (wheelchair)
Posted by: mimma, November 4, 2019, 9:42pm; Reply: 3
I seem to think he's was quite muscular but not fat. A lumbering giant.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 4, 2019, 10:22pm; Reply: 4
He was 6ft 7in. and could not jump to head a ball but surprisingly was good with the ball at his feet.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), November 4, 2019, 10:28pm; Reply: 5
Played 20 scored 5. I seem to remember a national paper doing a piece on Walker and Sir Dave Boylen.
I think Dave was 5ft 3in and Gordon was 6ft 4in. The shortest and tallest in the League.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), November 4, 2019, 10:34pm; Reply: 6
This may interest those who wonder about tallest and shortest.
http://www.marinerstrust.co.uk/the-tall-and-the-short-of-it/
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 10:54am