Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, October 29, 2019, 12:50pm
https://www.lcfc.com/news/1473485/season-ticket-holders-go-free-to-grimsby-town-fixture

Apparently Leicester City season ticket holders get in free tonight.
Grimsby season ticket holders have to pay [In the unlikely event they wanted to go] !

Leicester are also in Caraboa Cup action at Burton Albion tonight.
Posted by: psgmariner, October 29, 2019, 1:05pm; Reply: 1
Won't be going or watching the stream but are we out already having lost the first two games?
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 29, 2019, 1:19pm; Reply: 2
It's free for Town season ticket holders too.

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2019/october/leicester-city-leasing.com-trophy-ticket-information/
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 29, 2019, 2:17pm; Reply: 3
Couldn't give 2 hoots....the sooner this format is binned the better..time to make it about League(EFL) clubs and not the megalomaniac juggernaut of the premier trying to horseshoe there "development" teams into the league..
Posted by: Mallyner, October 29, 2019, 2:20pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Les Brechin

It's only the poor who have to pay.  :-/

Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, October 29, 2019, 3:06pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Les Brechin

My mistake. Did not advertise that very well, well not well enough for me to find, not that I would take advantage of it. 😀
Posted by: Gaffer58, October 29, 2019, 3:53pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Les Brechin

Just got time to get down to the shop and buy a season ticket, a real bargain, free entry to see Leicester, Vardy, Maddison etc.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, October 29, 2019, 4:22pm; Reply: 7
The club did vote against this disgraceful format in all fairness. I won't attend one of these games. We are a proud club with a long history. Aside from the Fenty years, we have generally been a respected club. We should never play against B teams, it's an insult.
Posted by: stevej7634, October 29, 2019, 5:00pm; Reply: 8
Didn't realise we were promoted to League One?

"Season Ticket Holders are invited to attend Leicester City Development Squad’s Leasing.com trophy fixture against Grimsby Town on Tuesday night for free.
- Leicester City's Development Squad travel to Grimsby Town on Tuesday night
- The Foxes are in group stage action in the Leasing.com trophy
- Season Ticket Holders can attend for free

The Foxes are in group stage action against the Sky Bet League 1 side at Blundell Park (7:45pm kick-off)."
Posted by: RichMariner, October 29, 2019, 5:17pm; Reply: 9
Absolute shambles of a competition.

The more they try and justify its existence, and the more they cheapen it, the worse it gets.

They could give free tickets to everyone and I still wouldn't go. I wonder how our first team players feel about playing against another club's kids team. It must be degrading for them, too.

Abolish this competition. It adds absolutely nothing. I know we won it in 98, and made the final in 08, but honestly I'd be delighted if they consigned it to the bin.

Absolute dog turd.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 29, 2019, 5:18pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from fishboyUTM
The club did eventually under duress and following fan, trust and general pressure and after sneakily voting without full consultation in the first place , vote against this disgraceful format  in all fairness. I won't attend one of these games. We are a proud club with a long history. Aside from the Fenty years, we have generally been a respected club. We should never play against B teams, it's an insult.

Amended for historical accuracy  ;)

Posted by: NorthseaMariner, October 29, 2019, 5:21pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Couldn't give 2 hoots....the sooner this format is binned the better..time to make it about League(EFL) clubs and not the megalomaniac juggernaut of the premier trying to horseshoe there "development" teams into the league..

Especially a club that were heavily in debt, didn’t attempt to pay anything like, opened up with a new stadium and carried on as if nothing had happened.
Bitter? Yes. Must let it go. 😎
Posted by: bawarmy, October 29, 2019, 8:55pm; Reply: 12
Attendance 341
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 29, 2019, 8:56pm; Reply: 13
Massive following of 22 from Leicester, makes me happy the crowd is so low, makes a bloody good point of what we think of this cup!!...
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 29, 2019, 9:45pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from RichMariner

The more they try and justify its existence, and the more they cheapen it, the worse it gets.

They could give free tickets to everyone and I still wouldn't go. I wonder how our first team players feel about playing against another club's kids team. It must be degrading for them, too.

Abolish this competition. It adds absolutely nothing. I know we won it in 98, and made the final in 08, but honestly I'd be delighted if they consigned it to the bin.

Absolute dog turd.

A fitting tribute could be to rename the competition the "Harrington Street Cup".... mind you they'd have trouble polishing the trophy
Posted by: moosey_club, October 29, 2019, 10:11pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from bawarmy
Attendance 341

Fking get in. Well done everyone who didnt go.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 29, 2019, 11:06pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

A fitting tribute could be to rename the competition the "Harrington Street Cup".... mind you they'd have trouble polishing the trophy

Now if this doesn't get post of the week, this board should be closed down!

(I meant the second part Harrington St residents.)
Posted by: pizzzza, October 29, 2019, 11:38pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Massive following of 22 from Leicester, makes me happy the crowd is so low, makes a bloody good point of what we think of this cup!!...

Those 22 can't have been proper Leicester supporters can they? Given their 1st team was also playing tonight and a lot closer to home. Must have been parents of those playing tonight, sneaked on the bus...
Posted by: Poojah, October 29, 2019, 11:49pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from bawarmy
Attendance 341

This must be a record for a ‘competitive’, and I use that term very loosely, game at Blundell Park, surely? A brilliantly shít attendance, if ever such a thing existed.
Posted by: forza ivano, October 29, 2019, 11:53pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Poojah

This must be a record for a ‘competitive’, and I use that term very loosely, game at Blundell Park, surely? A brilliantly shít attendance, if ever such a thing existed.

Think there was less than 250 for a similar ' match' last season so a near 40% improvement will surely be hailed by the club as a massive step forward in the fight against us bullies
Posted by: Abdul19, October 30, 2019, 6:10am; Reply: 20
Yeah, 248 v Sunderland yoof 2 years ago. They got to see Sean McAllister play though, so something to tell the grandkids about.

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2017/november/match-report-for-grimsby-town-vs-sunderland-u21-on-08-nov-17/
Posted by: Rik e B, October 30, 2019, 11:12am; Reply: 21
Great non-showing with the attendance 👍
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 30, 2019, 11:34am; Reply: 22
Even the four Town fans who came from Norway to see the Cheltenham game could not be arsed to  stay and watch this game even though they were offered free tickets and a fish and chip supper.
Posted by: Ipswin, October 30, 2019, 12:13pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from fishboyUTM
We should never play against B teams, it's an insult.

Too right - they keep beating us, it's embarrassing.

Posted by: Civvy at last, October 30, 2019, 2:30pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Ipswin

Too right - they keep beating us, it's embarrassing.

And if allowed in the leagues they’ll field stronger teams and still beat our first 11. That’s why they should NEVER EVER be allowed in.  
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 31, 2019, 12:18pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from RichMariner

Absolute dog turd.

Probably it the same as they do any other cup competition, or even a reserve team fixture.  Whilst we've put strong teams out at various points of this competition, it's never been our first team at that moment in time.  It's just a glorified reserve cup now.

With regards season ticket holders going free.  Bit odd that the club have only done it for the final fixture of the group.   My understanding is that the EFL will write off any losses incurred for these fixtures.  So if it costs us £20k to put a fixture on and we only take £3k on the evening, a cheque for £17k will be coming our way.  In that case I'd just make it free entry across the board.  That could, of course, increase the gate which isn't what we want as the EFL would take that as justification for the format. Just find it odd that clubs aren't doing this.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 31, 2019, 8:44pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from diehardmariner

Probably it the same as they do any other cup competition, or even a reserve team fixture.  Whilst we've put strong teams out at various points of this competition, it's never been our first team at that moment in time.  It's just a glorified reserve cup now.

With regards season ticket holders going free.  Bit odd that the club have only done it for the final fixture of the group.   My understanding is that the EFL will write off any losses incurred for these fixtures.  So if it costs us £20k to put a fixture on and we only take £3k on the evening, a cheque for £17k will be coming our way.  In that case I'd just make it free entry across the board.  That could, of course, increase the gate which isn't what we want as the EFL would take that as justification for the format. Just find it odd that clubs aren't doing this.

Or give loads of stewards some easy overtime!
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 3:03pm