Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Non Football  /  
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 29, 2019, 11:16am
At last all parties have agreed we will have a election in December,

After all these  months of infighting and petty insults from all parties it will be good it will all end ( we hope )

I hope the government gets in with a decent majority so they can govern whoever they are.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 29, 2019, 11:22am; Reply: 1
I know who I’ll be voting for Pete 👍
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 29, 2019, 11:35am; Reply: 2
Quoted from cmackenzie4
I know who I’ll be voting for Pete 👍

I don't Chris  ;D

I shall listen to all parties before I decide I would vote for the SNP if I could because I think they should have independence.  ;)
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 29, 2019, 12:06pm; Reply: 3

Haha!
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 29, 2019, 12:15pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Haha!

You can not have too many elections or referendums Chris  ;D
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, October 29, 2019, 12:37pm; Reply: 5
Will it actually be a general election or just an obscured referendum? people generally not voting for policies or taking any notice of them, just hellbent on where to put their best vote to leave or remain.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 29, 2019, 12:44pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
Will it actually be a general election or just an obscured referendum? people generally not voting for policies or taking any notice of them, just hellbent on where to put their best vote to leave or remain.

You could be right.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 29, 2019, 3:25pm; Reply: 7
I think my vote will be for the Disenfranchised party.... totally lost any allegiances / affiliations I had to anyone in particular
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 29, 2019, 4:12pm; Reply: 8
What a flipping waste of time! We’ve got a 3 months extension and they’re going to waste half of it with an election campaign.

Hopefully the Brexit party will grab 20 odd percent of the vote and no seats, then we can get rid of the Tories, and teach them a lesson for putting their own interests ahead of the country’s.
Posted by: Maringer, October 29, 2019, 4:33pm; Reply: 9
The stupid thing here is that Johnson could have made his agreement (crap though it is) and got it through parliament (probably with one or two amendments) if there had only been more time to do so. It was his cynical prorogration of parliament later ruled illegal which has led to this.

I don't think forcing an election was his first choice - that was forcing a hard exit. Anybody complaining about this election and the timing of it only has one person to blame. Unfortunately, I don't have any faith that he will get the blame, especially as his cheerleaders in the press will spend the next 6 weeks dishonestly pumping out misinformation and outright lies.
Posted by: Biccys, October 29, 2019, 4:51pm; Reply: 10
Maybe we are, maybe we aren't.

"ITV political correspondent Joe Pike says he "bumped into" the PM's most senior adviser Dominic Cummings, who said of an election: "We're not going to have one.""

FML.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 29, 2019, 5:28pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Hopefully the Brexit party will grab 20 odd percent of the vote and no seats, then we can get rid of the Tories, and teach them a lesson for putting their own interests ahead of the country’s.

I think that will happen at a lot of places KM the brexit party will take votes from  the cons and labour will benefit.
Posted by: Grimbiggs, October 29, 2019, 7:31pm; Reply: 12
Hooray....finally backed Labour into a corner so they had to at least make a decision, rather than sit on the fence like they have been doing. Corbyn fooled everyone last time, won't happen again! I expect a comfortable Conservative majority, who will then finally deliver what the people asked for, so we can all move on.
Posted by: Grimbiggs, October 29, 2019, 7:38pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from grimsby pete

I think that will happen at a lot of places KM the brexit party will take votes from  the cons and labour will benefit.

Absolute rubbish, the core Conservative leave vote will remain firm, it's the Labour vote that will collapse in leave areas, either by moving to the Brexit party, or more likely abstaining, because they hate Corbyn/ don't want a 2nd referendum a.k.a stop Brexit, and feel Labour are a lost cause.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 29, 2019, 10:10pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Grimbiggs

Absolute rubbish, the core Conservative leave vote will remain firm, it's the Labour vote that will collapse in leave areas, either by moving to the Brexit party, or more likely abstaining, because they hate Corbyn/ don't want a 2nd referendum a.k.a stop Brexit, and feel Labour are a lost cause.

Tell that to the people of Peterbrough  
Posted by: Marinerz93, October 29, 2019, 10:12pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from grimsby pete
At last all parties have agreed we will have a election in December,

After all these  months of infighting and petty insults from all parties it will be good it will all end ( we hope )

I hope the government gets in with a decent majority so they can govern whoever they are.

December election, I'm really looking forward to my Christmas Remoaning Turkey  ;D
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 29, 2019, 10:39pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Maringer
The stupid thing here is that Johnson could have made his agreement (crap though it is) and got it through parliament (probably with one or two amendments) if there had only been more time to do so. It was his cynical prorogration of parliament later ruled illegal which has led to this.

I don't think forcing an election was his first choice - that was forcing a hard exit. Anybody complaining about this election and the timing of it only has one person to blame. Unfortunately, I don't have any faith that he will get the blame, especially as his cheerleaders in the press will spend the next 6 weeks dishonestly pumping out misinformation and outright lies.

David Cameron?
Posted by: Grimbiggs, October 29, 2019, 11:08pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from grimsby pete

Tell that to the people of Peterbrough  

Different scenario entirely, 2 weeks after the European elections, when the protest vote
managed to give the Brexit party 35%, like UKIP in previous elections the Brexit party will fare poorly. Leave campaigners know thst Boris has done everything he can, despite amendments and the opposition trying their best to stop Brexit. The leave voters will punish the Labour Party badly, anybody who believes in democracy will get rid of this 'rotten' opposition.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, October 30, 2019, 12:45pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Maringer

Already in full flow, looks like he's had a word with the chaps who were paying him £275,000 a year to write a couple of paragraphs every week, asking them, 'as there is an election coming, if they could swerve any sort of responsibility for Grenfell from the tory government to those incompetent fire brigade workers risking their lives.'

Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 30, 2019, 3:49pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Grimbiggs
Hooray....finally backed Labour into a corner so they had to at least make a decision, rather than sit on the fence like they have been doing. Corbyn fooled everyone last time, won't happen again! I expect a comfortable Conservative majority, who will then finally deliver what the people asked for, so we can all move on.

What the people asked for? Privatisation of great chunks of the NHS. Accepting bleached chicken from the US. I bet we’ll find that there isn’t enough money after all for all these spending plans Boris has been blathering on about because there’ll be a slow down in the economy.

Two words need to be mentioned: food banks.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 30, 2019, 3:53pm; Reply: 20
Begging letters from schools asking parents to contribute to their budgets because they don’t have enough from public funds. Not extra money for special treats or fancy facilities. Money for normal stuff like paper and books.
Posted by: Maringer, October 30, 2019, 4:29pm; Reply: 21
Regarding the chlorinated chicken, it's almost certainly not a health issue in itself. The problem is that they have chlorinated chicken because their standards for livestock are so lax elsewhere and it is the only way they can get the stuff to be edible!

That is the thing we definitely don't want. Nor their beef which is pumped full of growth hormone and antibiotics - more than ten times as much in antibiotic supplements as our own cows are given!
Posted by: codcheeky, October 30, 2019, 6:06pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Grimbiggs

However much you or Boris the Clown want it to be Brexit, most think, rightly, the NHS is much more important. Even the yanks are talking about cancelling student loans and backing fracking and being in bed with big oil will do the Tories no favours, expect the environment to be a big issue as well
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 30, 2019, 7:13pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

Already in full flow, looks like he's had a word with the chaps who were paying him £275,000 a year to write a couple of paragraphs every week, asking them, 'as there is an election coming, if they could swerve any sort of responsibility for Grenfell from the tory government to those incompetent fire brigade workers risking their lives.'

Interestingly the news here in Finland just featured the Grenfell inquiry then news of the general election. We’ve become a flipping laughing stock as a country. We used to be a country where things like that no longer happened. Dozens of people burning to death because of dodgy decisions to cut costs on building standards mixing with inadequate safety resources  is the sort of thing that happens in corrupt developing countries, and shouldn’t be happening in one of the richest countries in the world.

I hope everyone who is anxious to ‘get Brexit done’ by backing Boris remembers that before they put their cross in the box.
Posted by: codcheeky, October 30, 2019, 8:03pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Interestingly the news here in Finland just featured the Grenfell inquiry then news of the general election. We’ve become a flipping laughing stock as a country. We used to be a country where things like that no longer happened. Dozens of people burning to death because of dodgy decisions to cut costs on building standards mixing with inadequate safety resources  is the sort of thing that happens in corrupt developing countries, and shouldn’t be happening in one of the richest countries in the world.

I hope everyone who is anxious to ‘get Brexit done’ by backing Boris remembers that before they put their cross in the box.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/30/food-banks-childrens-books-britain-hungry-election

This is the country we have become
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 1, 2019, 1:12pm; Reply: 25
I see that Farage has thrown his ring in to the hat earlier which muddies the waters even more as far as I can see

As it stands ( and excuse me if I'm not seeing things perfectly ) then the electorate is going to be made up of

Left of centre who want to leave
Left of centre who want to remain
Middle ground who want to leave
Middle ground who want to remain
Right of centre who want to remain
Right of centre who want to leave

So in effect with the two "major" parties and the two "minor" parties and a first past the post system, there could be any number of outcomes. A bit like doing the pools where you used to do a perm...

It's only my take on it but this could end up decidedly messy and we'll maybe have taken a step forward but also another couple of steps back.....

Could be another Brexit entension on the cards if they need time to decipher the election outcome.... February 29th maybe? If not next year, then maybe the year after?  ;)
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, November 1, 2019, 2:01pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Could be another Brexit entension on the cards if they need time to decipher the election outcome.... February 29th maybe? If not next year, then maybe the year after?  ;)

Posted by: Maringer, November 1, 2019, 2:19pm; Reply: 27
No surprise that Farage is contributing to the farrago as usual.

If the Brussels gravy train is finally going to end for him (by no means certain as yet), he wants to ensure he's got his next income stream ready. An MP's salary and the opportunity to keep his name in the lights as a parliamentary controversialist should do just fine. I wonder if he would actually bother to turn to up and do any work at Westminster?

By making a demand that Johnson can't possibly agree to (i.e. drop his deal for an electoral pact), he keeps himself in the limelight and makes a hung parliament more likely.

My guess is that there will be some behind the scenes deals so that Farage and a few of his flunkies get the opportunity to stand in very leave-y areas with little effort or expenditure put in from Tories in the expectation that they can win a handful of seats. Farage's backers will then not put much effort into winning Tory marginals but will instead go all guns blazing trying to take votes away in certain Labour marginals.

He'll still be an utter excrement, whatever happens.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 1, 2019, 3:46pm; Reply: 28
I think the election will not sort anything out instead we will be in a bigger muddle than ever.

With no party having enough seats to govern they will all be doing deals trying to get in power.

Then they will have to agree what they are doing with a hundred other things apart from Brexit.

Chaos looms for the foreseeable.
Posted by: Maringer, November 1, 2019, 4:05pm; Reply: 29
Interesting to see Trump openly interfering with our democracy and nobody seems to have complained about it too much yet.

Trump phones in to Farage on his LBC show and conveniently mentions that the US can't sign a free trade deal with the UK if we go with Johnson's deal with the EU (which is untrue, of course) and - lo and behold - shortly afterwards, the Brexit Party announces that an electoral pact is on the table with the Tories, if they reject the EU deal! Absolutely shameless collusion with a foreign power from Farage. 51st State indeed.

I would say that I hope it comes back to bite them on the bottom, but I think the Brexit Party are probably one of the best hopes for keeping the Tories out.

How on earth did we get into this shitshow?
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 1, 2019, 4:10pm; Reply: 30
Who's idea was it to have Brexit referendum  in the first place ?  Tool  (anger3)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 1, 2019, 4:54pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from grimsby pete
Who's idea was it to have Brexit referendum  in the first place ?  Tool  (anger3)

Yep... the ex PM who effed up and effed off.

Dodgy Dave " you won't see him for dust" Cameron (anger4)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 6, 2019, 1:13pm; Reply: 32
So with parliament officially dissolved earlier today, time to make up our minds as to where we go from here....

https://www.whoshouldyouvotefor.com/

Posted by: LH, November 6, 2019, 9:43pm; Reply: 33
Quiet start to campaigning.
Posted by: Maringer, November 6, 2019, 10:00pm; Reply: 34
I think the Tories have tried to get most of their gaffes out of the way before the campaign proper starts. It will be interesting to see if Johnson is kept as much at arm's length from the public as May was the other year. He's bad with the public, but in a different way to May. She didn't know what to say to them. Everything with him is a rehearsed act, which doesn't work well in the real world.

Watson quitting Labour and Parliament is a good way of getting his name in the media. Thought he might try to put the boot in more, but I'd imagine he's playing the long game. Don't doubt he'll be handed a cushy job somewhere pretty sharpish a la David Miliband.
Posted by: Maringer, November 7, 2019, 11:19am; Reply: 35
Oof. It was always obvious that Ian Austin wouldn't go quietly, but he's really outdone himself with his attacks on Corbyn and backing for Johnson. Not too surprising there would be some digs as there are a substantial chunk of Labour MPs who will do absolutely anything to avoid a pro-Palestine PM, hence the (greatly confected IMO) accusations of endemic antisemitism.

Austin will do OK for himself. Appointed as a trade envoy to Israel by May already, apparently.

It's going to be shitestorms for both sides the way this election is shaping up.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 7, 2019, 2:02pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Maringer
Oof. It was always obvious that Ian Austin wouldn't go quietly, but he's really outdone himself with his attacks on Corbyn and backing for Johnson. Not too surprising there would be some digs as there are a substantial chunk of Labour MPs who will do absolutely anything to avoid a pro-Palestine PM, hence the (greatly confected IMO) accusations of endemic antisemitism.

Austin will do OK for himself. Appointed as a trade envoy to Israel by May already, apparently.

It's going to be shitestorms for both sides the way this election is shaping up.

I do hope you're not discounting the LibDems Maringer..... Jo won't be at all happy about being sidelined   ;)
Posted by: Maringer, November 7, 2019, 3:28pm; Reply: 37
Ah, yes. I'd forgotten that she is a seriously, truly, honest to God candidate for Prime Minister. Though quite how she'll manage to be PM with 50-odd seats as seems their best hope, I'm not so sure. The other issue is that her own seat is far from secure if the increase in support for the SNP is as expected.

That said, even Johnson's seat isn't absolutely secure though it is unlikely that there could be enough of a swing to unseat him.
Posted by: barralad, November 7, 2019, 5:48pm; Reply: 38
Just seen a poll for Wokingham which is John Redwood's constituency. The Tories have lost 22% points to the Lib Dems in less than a month...
Posted by: LH, November 11, 2019, 5:31pm; Reply: 39
So BXP are set to stand down in Tory held seats to allow Brexit to get through (despite opposing the deal). They’ll win a Labour seat or two and then defect to the Tories won’t they? You know after the Tories time the deal out so we leave on no-deal.
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 12, 2019, 7:57pm; Reply: 40
I really can not understand why anybody would be gullible enough to even consider voting for the Brexit Party - and that's not because of political beliefs they may hold on the EU, but because of two things.

1. The BREXIT Party is not a party as such. It's a company, solely owned by the biggest snake oil salesman in the UK. What he says goes.

2. They haven't got any policies, and do not intend releasing their manifesto until about a fortnight before December 12th. Remember, what Farage says goes.

The Brexit Party will not benefit working folk. I suspect, like the Tories they will say anything to please anybody in the run up to the election because they know they're political toast after Farage's humiliation this week when he slashed their number of candidates in half, and kept their 300 plus £100 deposits as he will not be issuing refunds. That's an awful lot of very decent claret.

I think this election will defy all the "rules" I don't know which way it will end up, but I simply do not buy into all the rubbish coming out of the polls. Polls do not reflect political reality, they try to determine it. I've lived all my life, unfortunately, in a Tory constituency, first in Meggies, before moving to Scotland and residing in the only constituency where there was the only Tory MP in Scotland. He's got a 10,000 majority, and the SNP are second by some distance so they'll be getting my vote - and I expect to see whole swathes of the UK doing similar to rout the Tories. It might not prevent their being re-elected, but it's certainly not a gimme.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 12, 2019, 8:33pm; Reply: 41
It says it all doesn't it when Falange was saying a week ago that Boris' deal was not even Brexit and he would oppose the Tories in every seat. I think at one point he even said it's worse than staying in!And now Boris' deal is OK. Some conviction politician that! If he hadn't been so strident about it before he might have had a little bit of credibility in his change of tack.

But we know which side his bread is buttered. The Brexit Party and UKIP before it are effectively pushing a Tory agenda (a version that not all Tories agree with, but Tory nonetheless. And the strings are being pulled by rich men.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 12, 2019, 8:42pm; Reply: 42
Incidentally Jock with a 10,000 vote majority, will even SNP stand a chance in your constituency? If they don't, you may as well vote for your actual preference.

I'm conflicted about this now. The only party with a chance of ousting the Tories (and a very good chance) are the LibDems. In 2015, 2016 (we had a by-election when Zac Goldsmith stood down over Heathrow Runway 3), then again in 2017 I reluctantly voted LD - reluctant because of the Coalition. This time round I said I would again, very reluctantly, and I'd even help leaflet and stuff just to get rid of the Tories. But Toria Swanson came out last week and said she would never support a Corbyn government (can't think who else stands a chance) so the likely winners are the Real Tories or the Disguised Tories.

I know in gaming terms I should still support Swinson's candidate on the slim chance that they won't support the Tories.

* I remember someone else saying he would lay down in front of the bulldozers, but can't remember his name. Joris Bohnson? John Borison?
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 3:56pm