Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 24, 2019, 4:04pm

Rain is forecast pretty much from Friday afternoon up until the game Saturday, I wonder if the game will be in doubt !!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2652885
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 24, 2019, 4:16pm; Reply: 1
Hopefully the ground staff know this and have put the covers on to protect the pitch..
Posted by: moosey_club, October 24, 2019, 7:48pm; Reply: 2
its BP, will be fine.....only seriously freaky wet or foggy weather puts it at risk.

Game on.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 24, 2019, 8:50pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from moosey_club
its BP, will be fine.....only seriously freaky wet or foggy weather puts it at risk.

Game on.

I am not sure where this myth comes from about BP. Quite a few matches have been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. If rain is expected from Friday till ko it would be in doubt surely? The reserves was off last week due to waterlogging wasn't it?
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 24, 2019, 8:51pm; Reply: 4
I am sure the club invested in some covers so it should be OK.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 24, 2019, 9:10pm; Reply: 5

I am not sure where this myth comes from about BP. Quite a few matches have been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. If rain is expected from Friday till ko it would be in doubt surely? The reserves was off last week due to waterlogging wasn't it?

Reserve game postponements are totally different.

If there's any chance of a few spots of rain reserve games get postponed to preserve the pitch for 1st team games.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 24, 2019, 9:42pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Les Brechin

Reserve game postponements are totally different.

If there's any chance of a few spots of rain reserve games get postponed to preserve the pitch for 1st team games.

Yes I appreciate that Les, but like everywhere else the pitch has taken a lot of rain over the last 3 weeks and if the forecast rain arrives it must put the game in doubt.

If covers have been applied then fair enough but they cannot be on for very long and the pitch has to be mown. Grass is still growing rapidly with the wet and mild autumn.
Posted by: Yoda, October 24, 2019, 10:22pm; Reply: 7
Jolly praying for rain if he loses this he’s gone,
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), October 24, 2019, 10:22pm; Reply: 8

Quiet a few Eh? I can't recall many in all the time I have watched Town 4 or 5 in over 50 years due to rain!!! Yes the pitch did really drain well no myth, then they improved it and more games off.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 24, 2019, 10:25pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Yoda
Jolly praying for rain if he loses this he’s gone,

Shut up
Posted by: Yoda, October 24, 2019, 10:28pm; Reply: 10
The truth hurts.!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 24, 2019, 11:34pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from grimsby pete

Shut up

Is Yoda the Accountant, Pete?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 24, 2019, 11:53pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from 140067

Quiet a few Eh? I can't recall many in all the time I have watched Town 4 or 5 in over 50 years due to rain!!! Yes the pitch did really drain well no myth, then they improved it and more games off.

Of course it is still relatively well drained, as most professional pitches are. There has been relatively few postponements over the years because there has been relatively few major wet weather events in the lead up to the match.  

If it does rain very heavily and for a long time in the build up to the match  then it will be in doubt. I too have seen, or rather not seen the  postponed matches in the 60 years I have been going so it does happen. A few years ago I remember a match being off to waterlogging about half an hour before kick off .  

We are just going by a terrible forecast  onto already saturated ground.  
Posted by: Rik e B, October 25, 2019, 7:29am; Reply: 13
Because there sand under the pitch I hear, due to us being so close to the Estuary. Not that I've ever known sand so far in 🤔
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), October 25, 2019, 8:10am; Reply: 14
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Is Yoda the Accountant, Pete?

Isn't Yoda a little green thing and the last time I saw him demented he was.
Posted by: codcheeky, October 25, 2019, 8:38am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Rik e B
Because there sand under the pitch I hear, due to us being so close to the Estuary. Not that I've ever known sand so far in 🤔

I have a house near there and when building an extension was into sand less than a foot into the ground in some places, if you takeaway the railway embankment and sea wall you are really on the beach
Posted by: Rik e B, October 25, 2019, 8:46am; Reply: 16
Thanks, that explains our natural drainage foketale then! 👌
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 25, 2019, 11:27am; Reply: 17
Off the top of my head I can think of 3 games that were called off due to waterlogged pitch at BP, all during the game.

Sunderland about 25 years ago.  Sunday game that was televised and ref called it off after a few minutes.
Derby a few years ago in the cup.
Macclesfield this season in the cup.  

All down to absolute freak downpours.  I think the Sunderland game may have been a result of some draining fault with Anglian Water come to think of it.

Both the Derby and Macclesfield games were downpours of biblical natures, no pitch in the world would have survived them.  

Be it good natural drainage or good care of the pitch, we do well at our level with the very low number of games called off due to the weather.  
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 25, 2019, 11:35am; Reply: 18
Any club can be caught out by a downpour,

Our ground staff are very good at protecting the pitch when like now the weather is forecast and they have time to use the  covers.
Posted by: Rik e B, October 25, 2019, 1:42pm; Reply: 19
That recent downpour causing HT abandonment was certainly of biblical proportions, I was considering the end of the world at one point!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 25, 2019, 1:53pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from diehardmariner
Off the top of my head I can think of 3 games that were called off due to waterlogged pitch at BP, all during the game.

Sunderland about 25 years ago.  Sunday game that was televised and ref called it off after a few minutes.
Derby a few years ago in the cup.
Macclesfield this season in the cup.  

All down to absolute freak downpours.  I think the Sunderland game may have been a result of some draining fault with Anglian Water come to think of it.

Both the Derby and Macclesfield games were downpours of biblical natures, no pitch in the world would have survived them.  

Be it good natural drainage or good care of the pitch, we do well at our level with the very low number of games called off due to the weather.  

That's not what the Derby fans said at the time..... they thought we didn't do enough to keep the game on. If only we had a sliding roof eh?
Posted by: dicko995, October 25, 2019, 3:17pm; Reply: 21
just hope we don't 'leak' goals like we have been doing lately.
Posted by: thornemariner, October 25, 2019, 5:43pm; Reply: 22
I think we were due to play Telford (?) a few years back and I'd travelled over from Donny for the game. I was surprised the game was off but apparently there had been an intense hailstorm that morning that had left big puddles on the pitch.

I can't recall that many postponements in my forty years watching Town as I think we do better than many clubs at our level and I always saw our pitch as invincible to the elements. There's no doubt though that it's been tested more in recent years. The ground where I am isn't waterlogged yet but if it carries on like this it will be. Fingers crossed anyway.

I went to Wrexham in January 2014.Everything had gone well. A 3 1 win to Brentford on the Friday night with the home fans giving stick to then Orient manager Slade and I had a cheap first class rail ticket to Derby the next day where I was picked up for the game in Wales. As soon as we got near Wrexham there was an almighty thunderstorm and that was the end of my double-header. A thunderstorm in January FFS.

Mind you, that thundersnow at Stockport in January (?) 2008 was something else when they had to move us under cover for the second half. I'm convinced the noise we made in that away section contributed to our win and a great night out in the end.

UTM
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 25, 2019, 9:11pm; Reply: 23
Surely these arguments are now water under the bridge now?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 25, 2019, 11:00pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from 140067

Isn't Yoda a little green thing and the last time I saw him demented he was.

Rude but to say he was demented is going too far. And Mr Marley is certainly not green.
Posted by: golfer, October 26, 2019, 8:44am; Reply: 25
There should have been a precautionary pitch inspection by now to enable Cheltenham supporters to make a decision about travelling. If I got here and it was called off at 1-0 clock without the possibility being broadcast earlier I would be very angry.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 26, 2019, 8:48am; Reply: 26
Quoted from golfer
There should have been a precautionary pitch inspection by now to enable Cheltenham supporters to make a decision about travelling. If I got here and it was called off at 1-0 clock without the possibility being broadcast earlier I would be very angry.

I suspect they'll leave the covers on until around 11, that'll give the time to prepare the pitch for the match, have to say though I'm not holding out much hope for today's game to go ahead ..🥴🥴
Posted by: barralad, October 26, 2019, 8:56am; Reply: 27
Chester away August 2005. We got there to be met by a steward who said the game was off. We told him he must be joking so he let us into a side gate. You could "just" see the tops of the dug-outs. Amazing conditions...40 miles up the road England were playing "that" Ashes series in reasonable conditions...
Posted by: golfer, October 26, 2019, 8:58am; Reply: 28
Town have come up with new innovations- 3500 buckets and  sponges can be picked up from car park. Paper fans to be issued once inside ground.  Patents applied for.
Posted by: LH, October 26, 2019, 9:15am; Reply: 29
Quoted from golfer

Yeah but it is Cheltenham fans...
Posted by: Sigone, October 26, 2019, 9:26am; Reply: 30
pitch inspection 11:30
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 26, 2019, 11:53am; Reply: 31
Quoted from moosey_club

Game on.

8)

Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 26, 2019, 2:42pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I suspect they'll leave the covers on until around 11, that'll give the time to prepare the pitch for the match, have to say though I'm not holding out much hope for today's game to go ahead ..🥴🥴

Funny isn't it how our game hasn’t gone ahead but they’ve managed to keep the game on at the mudtropolis on the north bank

Maybe with them having a new ground the drainage is better but as the crow flies it’s no more than 20 miles away with conditions the same both sides of the Humber
Posted by: moosey_club, October 26, 2019, 3:17pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from promotion plaice

8)

Fenty out !!!

Making my prediction look foolish, if we had been in the fentydome by now as promised, the roof could have been closed protecting the pitch...also since the humps were removed from the BP goals thats 2 games falling foul of the rain already......
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 5:47pm