Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: barralad, October 22, 2019, 10:08pm
Hard fought point which most of the 361 Town fans would have taken before the game.
Defended very deep but pretty well. A couple of regulation saves for Macca in the first half but nothing regular about his excellent penalty save. For all their posession and pretty passing football  Cambridge didn't really cause any panic.
In an attacking sense though Town were pretty much non-existent. The partnership of Hanson and Green didn't click although the latter was unlucky to see an effort blocked shortly before he was subbed.
Decent 20 minutes from Akeem who dispossessed their lad but couldn't get a shot away and then caught in two minds up against three defenders when initially clear.
All of the back five acquitted themselves well particularly Pollock and Ohman after his dodgy return on Saturday.
Midfield very weak-even Hess not really at the races. Whitehouse needs a rest as the game just passed him by tonight.
Onward and upward...
Posted by: chaos33, October 22, 2019, 10:20pm; Reply: 1
Upwards, if only.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 22, 2019, 10:34pm; Reply: 2
Upwards  ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 22, 2019, 10:38pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from barralad
Hard fought point which most of the 361 Town fans would have taken before the game.
Defended very deep but pretty well. A couple of regulation saves for Macca in the first half but nothing regular about his excellent penalty save. For all their posession and pretty passing football  Cambridge didn't really cause any panic.
In an attacking sense though Town were pretty much non-existent. The partnership of Hanson and Green didn't click although the latter was unlucky to see an effort blocked shortly before he was subbed.
Decent 20 minutes from Akeem who dispossessed their lad but couldn't get a shot away and then caught in two minds up against three defenders when initially clear.
All of the back five acquitted themselves well particularly Pollock and Ohman after his dodgy return on Saturday.
Midfield very weak-even Hess not really at the races. Whitehouse needs a rest as the game just passed him by tonight.
Onward and upward...

So a more positive view than from the majority on here tonight.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 22, 2019, 10:54pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from KingstonMariner

So a more positive view than from the majority on here tonight.

We were good in defence KM but nothing going forward but agree Rose showed a bit of how dangerous he can be with his speed

So I say a 9 for our defence and only 3 for the attack and 2 of them was for Rose who was only on for 20mins.
Posted by: forza ivano, October 23, 2019, 12:27am; Reply: 5
Very disciplined hard working defensive performance. For all their possession and threatening approach play all of mckeown's saves were pretty routine. Think they played into our hands a bit as they persisted with high balls in and crosses which were meat and drink to our 3 big centre halves. Very interesting to watch from our angle as jolley had obviously been told to surrender the side areas and keep a tight shape inside the tram lines created by the sidelines of the 18 yard box (hope that makes sense)
Wasn't pretty but he'd advertised what he was going to do on Saturday and it's worked.it's stopped the for and got a bit of confidence back.
Obviously very little attacking intent despite Hanson working like a trojan. Him n green just doesn't work , green never gets close enough and doesn't seem to have any anticipation as to what Hanson is going to do.looked much more threatening once rose had come on, even if he is a bit of a headless chicken.
No creativity whatsoever, again to be expected with that line up, but jolley will surely be disappointed with their use of the ball when in possession, although that might be explained by a lack of confidence.4 or 5 times whitehouse and Hewitt played simple 15 yard channel balls, but did them so badly that Usain Bolt would be struggling to reach them ,let alone 2 slow coaches like Hendrie and gibson. Having said that thought Hewitt did pretty well in midfield, although don't think he would offer much if it wasn't a defence v attack game like tonights. Continue to be disappointed in whitehouse who is showing exactly why he was a squad player at lincoln.he looks like a non league Hess and we need much much better.
Think I'd give mot m to the 3 centre halves who were rocks.
Posted by: sydney, October 23, 2019, 12:47am; Reply: 6
Pleased with a point from a gutsy hardworking display,  especially from the back 4
Took a Dirty Leeds season ticket holder mate tonight and he said we where the better side second half and looked more likely to score
If only Rose had a better touch when running forward we could have nicked it
So so pleased with the pen save, as if that had gone in? Well you know the rest
Observations
We still can’t string more than 6 passes together and retain possession ending in a useless ball down the channel
We still don’t realise Hanson will win every header and have another man run on clearly understanding Hanson will do this
We are excrement winning second balls
We don’t create space or give options for players to pass too
And the players look to not have the confidence to express themselves and seem to be trying to play from a text book
My Leeds mate made this point
Was expecting a hammering but hoped for a result
Sometimes it’s nice when u get what u hope for
Have seen Cheltenham twice this season and they are still horrible and always as they have been but with one added bonus
They are a very good side now
0-0 sat will be a good result
Come on Town!
Posted by: marinerdazza, October 23, 2019, 9:20am; Reply: 7
Think it's become clear that Robson is injured and with Max Wright out much of the changes in midfield and up front have been forced on him.

With that in mind, and the fact that he understandably set up with a draw mentality last night, I'm not going to lose any sleep over the fact we didn't spray the ball around like Ajax. He had to draw. The losing streak had to be stopped. Once the two above are back in the squad, I think things will settle down again.

That being said, I don't expect much on Saturday. Another draw will do me.
Posted by: ROKERITE, October 23, 2019, 9:33am; Reply: 8
Unusually a manager did exactly what he said he'd do; "back to basics". After Leyton Orient a clean-sheet was what mattered most. It was Orient on the wrong end of 4-0 last night.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 23, 2019, 9:40am; Reply: 9
Quoted from forza ivano
Continue to be disappointed in whitehouse who is showing exactly why he was a squad player at lincoln.he looks like a non league Hess and we need much much better.

Strangest use of a number 10 shirt since Arsenal gave one to William Gallas!
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 23, 2019, 12:29pm; Reply: 10
I get why Jolley set up as he did, I don't really have a problem with it either as it needed to be done.  My concern is that he'll see it got a result last night and think it'll work all the time, I did wonder how long it would take for him to go to a back 5.

Real fine margins too.  Had the penalty gone in (or even the rebound!) that was it, game over.  

Biggest take-home for me was that Pollock genuinely is our best defender, regardless of his age/experience.  
Posted by: carrot top, October 23, 2019, 12:37pm; Reply: 11
Very lackluster IMO. Town continue to disappoint. I realise we were on the back of 3 league defeats but no real threat in our play. Passing was dire throughout and in front of goal were awful when given the opportunity. Season long struggle ahead I'm afraid. This long ball stuff is terrible to watch and not a lot comes from it. I would rest Hanson when Wright gets back and also Hewitt in midfield to be replaced by  the Sunderland lad.
The only positives where stout defending and Macca
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 23, 2019, 12:44pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from forza ivano
Very disciplined hard working defensive performance. For all their possession and threatening approach play all of mckeown's saves were pretty routine. Think they played into our hands a bit as they persisted with high balls in and crosses which were meat and drink to our 3 big centre halves. Very interesting to watch from our angle as jolley had obviously been told to surrender the side areas and keep a tight shape inside the tram lines created by the sidelines of the 18 yard box (hope that makes sense)
Wasn't pretty but he'd advertised what he was going to do on Saturday and it's worked.it's stopped the for and got a bit of confidence back.
Obviously very little attacking intent despite Hanson working like a trojan. Him n green just doesn't work , green never gets close enough and doesn't seem to have any anticipation as to what Hanson is going to do.looked much more threatening once rose had come on, even if he is a bit of a headless chicken.
No creativity whatsoever, again to be expected with that line up, but jolley will surely be disappointed with their use of the ball when in possession, although that might be explained by a lack of confidence.4 or 5 times whitehouse and Hewitt played simple 15 yard channel balls, but did them so badly that Usain Bolt would be struggling to reach them ,let alone 2 slow coaches like Hendrie and gibson. Having said that thought Hewitt did pretty well in midfield, although don't think he would offer much if it wasn't a defence v attack game like tonights. Continue to be disappointed in whitehouse who is showing exactly why he was a squad player at lincoln.he looks like a non league Hess and we need much much better.

I fully agree that it was battling performance and I quite enjoyed it. Also agree that the three centre-halves were outstanding and far better than recent performances.

MJ set up the team to do a job and it did it so well done him on this occasion.

Let's hope when he sets the team up for future games he is as successful. In last night's performance I thought both Hanson and Green even though having to get through the game with not a great deal of support they both contributed to the rearguard action.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 23, 2019, 12:51pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from forza ivano

I wasn’t there but you have given me all the info there to imagine I was. Thanks.

Easy to understand why he chose this line up after 3 losses and it is a worthwhile point to gain away from home. The only thing I would say is taking up your point about Green and Hanson and the midfield. There is no pace and no quality for strikers to feed off. I did think he had cracked that with Ogbu and Cook but he seems to have gone off them again. And if there is no Wright there is no threat. Surely Rose in place of Green would have been worth a shot from the start. He needs to learn to be part of a disciplined unit and he won’t if he is just a 20 min wonderkid.

Posted by: Tommy, October 23, 2019, 2:34pm; Reply: 14
Last night was what I would call "a Paul Hurst special."

Hurst would always go out for a clean sheet as the first and only priority in the game following a bad defeat.
(the 0-5 at Braintree was followed by a 0-0 at Newport, the 0-4 at Halifax before Scott was sacked was followed by a 0-0 at Chester and I'm sure there will be others).

From seeing the line-up I thought that was the plan last night and the way we managed the 90 minutes only confirmed it. Taking our time and slowing the game down from very early on. A clean sheet was the priority without a doubt.

Defensively, and generally out of possession, we were very effective. Very well organised, disciplined, and everyone did their jobs well. Heard a lot of moans and groans at the game of "get into em" and "push up" etc etc. We were doing absolutely fine letting Cambridge pass the ball in front of us and just work it across the pitch side-to-side repeatedly. We didn't allow them to play through us, didn't really concede any chances i didn't think barring the penalty, and when crosses came in (they were only able to do this from deep) we had 3 centre-backs putting their heads on everything.

In possession, there's no getting away from the fact that we were awful. Not the player with the ball at their feet, but the players off the ball. No movement, either to show for the ball themselves or to pull the opposition about and create a bit of space for others. It was like players didn't want to come out of the team shape when we had the ball, meaning we had the same 5-3-2 shape whether we had the ball or not. It meant we had limited or no passing options, and was almost an acceptance that we would surrender possession and just be happy to defend. I suppose the hope with that is that you can nick a goal from a set piece or something like that, and to be fair we weren't far off doing that at times.

For as little possession as we had, and how poor we were with it, I think you could actually argue that we had some of the better chances and might have won the game but for these fine margins.
Green had a turn and shot early in the 2nd half and I'm sure the ball then fell to someone else who might've done better. Whitehouse got away and cut back onto his right foot to shoot but slipped as he cut inside, and Ahkeem Rose had a few good runs, one in particular where a better touch when running with the ball would've got him 1v1 with the keeper and getting a shot away. So as dull as the game was, we might have actually come away with a sneaky 1-0 win. A case of "shoulda, woulda, coulda" I know, but had we done that I can imagine people claiming it to be a Mourinho-like tactical masterclass.

Now, I'm far from suggesting it was a tactical masterclass obviously. Just pointing out the fine margins that make such overreactions as I've read in some parts a bit exaggerated. I hope last night just stays as a go-to plan for when we've had a few losses in a row (to prevent a streak of losses again) or after a heavy defeat. And doesn't become the norm for every away game or anything like that regularity, because I genuinely think we're better and capable of more than that. But whilst I didn't celebrate the result at the full-time whistle, I didn't particularly mind him doing that last night under the circumstances. The key moving forward, as with other set-ups/tactical approaches used so far, is knowing when and where to use them. W haven't got enough of these calls right this season.

I'd now give Mattie Pollock a run in the starting eleven as I think he's good enough and would be playing on merit. Better all round than Ohman, Waterfall and Davis for me, but with those being more senior players the easy option is to bench the young lad and play the others. Maybe playing him alongside Waterfall who is a bit of a leader and organiser would help MP settle into a consistent back four and develop his game.

Hoping for a more adventurous approach when we've got the ball on Saturday. I'm sure we can still be as solid defensively without compromising what we do in-possession so much. UTM.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 23, 2019, 3:42pm; Reply: 15
The thing that worries me and I’m sure other fans too is that this was a fine defensive performance but - what if the penalty had gone in? The way the team is set up there is no chance of getting back into a game like this if we do slip up. Plan A is lump it, Plan B is lump it higher. I don’t mind a deep tactical defence, especially away, as long as there is a proper counter threat down the other end if we get the chance.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, October 23, 2019, 4:07pm; Reply: 16
Defended well. Pollock the pick of the bunch, plays with a maturity beyond his years.

All that said, what an utterly negative lineup. It completely stifled us when we had the ball. Get the change in formation, get the being difficult to beat, but there was no need for that midfield. Show a little footballing ambition, Cook for Hewitt or whitehouse would’ve given us that little bit of quality when we had the ball. It was a completely unbalanced side.

Hewitt and Whitehouse played poorly. Hewitt didn’t really get involved and gave the ball away virtually every time he got it. Whitehouse is painfully one paced and doesn’t have the ability to make up for it. Can’t understand lineup that sees these two in front of Clifton and Cook.

Hope we see some changes on Saturday. At the minute we are awful to watch, hoofball with no ambition to play any other way.
Posted by: Tommy, October 23, 2019, 4:42pm; Reply: 17
The thing that worries me and I’m sure other fans too is that this was a fine defensive performance but - what if the penalty had gone in? The way the team is set up there is no chance of getting back into a game like this if we do slip up. Plan A is lump it, Plan B is lump it higher. I don’t mind a deep tactical defence, especially away, as long as there is a proper counter threat down the other end if we get the chance.

Yep, totally get that. It'd have taken several substitutions and a drastic change in mentality to get back into the game had we fallen behind at any stage last night.

Which is why i don't particularly mind last night's approach (although it's still not what I'd have done personally), I'd hope it was used in isolation and won't become a regular option because it was successful (in terms of what it set out to do) on this occasion.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 23, 2019, 6:33pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Tommy
Last night was what I would call "a Paul Hurst special."

Hurst would always go out for a clean sheet as the first and only priority in the game following a bad defeat.
(the 0-5 at Braintree was followed by a 0-0 at Newport, the 0-4 at Halifax before Scott was sacked was followed by a 0-0 at Chester and I'm sure there will be others).

a 2-0 lead at Chester which he turned into a valuable away point ... ;D
Posted by: lee65, October 23, 2019, 7:34pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from moosey_club

a 2-0 lead at Chester which he turned into a valuable away point ... ;D

That was a classic “get Parslow on” game  :)
Posted by: forza ivano, October 23, 2019, 7:55pm; Reply: 20
Just to get sense of perspective we are more than a month ahead of where we were last year in terms of points won
Posted by: sydney, October 23, 2019, 8:27pm; Reply: 21
Hanson was good last night along with Öhman and Pollock
It’s the mid field and moving the ball forward that’s the issue
We need to sort it for sat or we will be watching another Crewe type game
go for it Jolley and take the game to Cheltenham
Come on Town!!
Posted by: Abdul19, October 23, 2019, 9:54pm; Reply: 22
The aforementioned 0-0 at Newport also featured a McKeown penalty save
Print page generated: April 16, 2024, 8:41pm