Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Davec, October 16, 2019, 8:16pm
Retires aged 23, never recovered from an ankle injury
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 16, 2019, 8:19pm; Reply: 1
Poor lad, convinced there was a player in there that could've gone places, such a sad end to a career at such a young age...
Posted by: Poojah, October 16, 2019, 8:47pm; Reply: 2
Massive shame. Scored 4 in 16 in League Two as a 21 year old, for a team that was in disarray for much of that time. I’m convinced he had the potential to become a very solid League One player at the very least.
Posted by: Heisenberg, October 16, 2019, 8:51pm; Reply: 3
Must confess, I do not remember him.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 16, 2019, 9:14pm; Reply: 4
*Calum

I wasn't really convinced by him (although his penalties were great, scored 3/3!) but he was a young lad still working on his game, big shame for him.
Posted by: pizzzza, October 16, 2019, 9:44pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Davec
Retires aged 23, never recovered from an ankle injury

That sucks.
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 16, 2019, 10:01pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from pizzzza

That sucks.

See what you did there pizzzza   ;)

Posted by: toontown, October 16, 2019, 10:16pm; Reply: 7
I thought it was strange he was still on evertons books when surely it could be seen he would never reach premiership standards. However I suppose they need to have lots just making up the numbers in their u23 squads in order for the few stars and potential stars to have a team to play in.

PErsonally Wasn't fully convinced by him generally at the time, but thought when he received the ball running at the opposition was when he shone. Probably could have had a good lower league career. I'm sure he would have made a lot from being on evertons books so I hope he didn't blow it all at the time.
Posted by: Maringer, October 16, 2019, 10:30pm; Reply: 8
Bad news for the lad. He always looked a bit limited to me but I recall he tried his hardest so it's bad luckfor him to have his career ended so soon. Especially in this day and age where medical treatment has advanced so far and players can recover from terrible breaks and other awful injuries.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 16, 2019, 10:31pm; Reply: 9
Just hope the lad has a plan b for his life. No age for anyone to have their career of choice taken away.

Posted by: fiveallive, October 17, 2019, 6:02am; Reply: 10
I remember him scoring a great goal against Mansfield where he looked to have something about him to be fair.

Shame for a career to be over at 23.

Now he can get himself a trade or football youth coaching.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 17, 2019, 1:24pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from moosey_club
Just hope the lad has a plan b for his life. No age for anyone to have their career of choice taken away.

On the one hand I tend to agree Moosey as everything he probably dreamed of as a kid has come to a grinding halt  :-/

On the other hand I think that at least he's "only 23" so the world to some extent is their for him to forge a career in some other field ( no pun intended )

I hope he gets his head around it and that the PFA have something in place for young lads who have to come to terms with shattered dreams

It will need him to look forward to the future and not backwards on what might have been....

I'd like to wish him all the very best for the future and to try and show the same commitment in another role as he's done with his football
Posted by: Maringer, October 17, 2019, 2:32pm; Reply: 12
You'd imagine he will have been earning enough to set himself up with a nice house all paid for. Lots of opportunities ahead if he can get over the disappointment and I expect that the PFA are quite helpful these days as well.
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 17, 2019, 4:33pm; Reply: 13
I too wasn't convinced until he scored his solo goal which seemed to transform him as a player, notably down to the increased confidence.

I thought him and Sam Jones looked a very good potential pairing, with Jones just operating off him in a slightly withdrawn role.  

Shame for the lad, real shame.
Posted by: AussieMariner, October 17, 2019, 4:49pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from diehardmariner
I too wasn't convinced until he scored his solo goal which seemed to transform him as a player, notably down to the increased confidence.

I thought him and Sam Jones looked a very good potential pairing, with Jones just operating off him in a slightly withdrawn role.  

Shame for the lad, real shame.

Now Jones was a strange one
At times looked real class but seemed to have an attitude problem
Having said that the way Slade handled him I reckon anyone would have had an attitude
I remember him being subbed at Morecambe and had a face like thunder as he came off - to be replaced I think by JJ Hooper just as he was starting to cause problems
Left us to follow Hurst into league 1 now at Harrogate.....

Sorry for Callum Dyson - was it him that got the penalty at Swindon that went a long way to keeping us up?

Modification- just checked and no, it was Cardwell
Still feel sorry for Dyson
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 2:14am