Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 15, 2019, 3:03pm
On Saturday, Leyton Orient could field FOUR Ex-Mariners in their line-up.

Craig Clay, Joe Widdowson, James Alabi and Matt Harrold.

Any other time in recent years when there have been this many ex-players in a visiting team?
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, October 15, 2019, 3:26pm; Reply: 1
At a guess, what about when we played West Brom during Buckleys reign at the Hawthorns? Don't know if they played against us but off the top of my head during his spell at West Brom there was Paul Agnew, Tony Rees, Lee Ashcroft, Chris Hargreaves, Dave Gilbert, Shaun Cunnington, Paul Crichton, Paul Groves plus a couple yet to come to us with Paul Raven, Stacy Coldicott, Kevin Donovan
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, October 15, 2019, 3:59pm; Reply: 2
Hartlepool; toto, podge, featherstone, some one else
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 15, 2019, 4:05pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Les Brechin
On Saturday, Leyton Orient could field FOUR Ex-Mariners in their line-up.

Craig Clay, Joe Widdowson, James Alabi and Matt Harrold.

Any other time in recent years when there have been this many ex-players in a visiting team?

Does that mean we have to score five to win Les ?
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 15, 2019, 4:10pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

Magnay? Was he there at the same time as the other 3?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 15, 2019, 4:30pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

Magnay?
Posted by: Abdul19, October 15, 2019, 4:57pm; Reply: 6
Only Amond and Nsiala played when they beat us 3-0 at BP.

Amond, Featherstone and Oates played when we won there 1-0 3 months later (I think Hurst had signed Nsiala by this point and Magnay had a bad injury).
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 15, 2019, 6:12pm; Reply: 7
How old is Matt Harrold ? He must be in his 40s ffs 😂
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 15, 2019, 6:38pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
How old is Matt Harrold ? He must be in his 40s ffs 😂

He's only 35 surprisingly!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 15, 2019, 8:49pm; Reply: 9
When I saw this thread title I thought it was about winning away at the unbeaten leaders and then only 2 weeks later losing away at the bottom team who have not won a league game yet.

This must be some sort of record.  Not sure what it tells us apart from the fact that we are capable of extreme high and low performances close together.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, October 15, 2019, 9:07pm; Reply: 10
Christ there's some shite on that list
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 16, 2019, 8:47am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Christ there's some shite on that list

Really?

I thought Clay was exactly what we needed in the Conference at the time, bundles of energy and a little bit taller than what we had previously employed in the centre.  Him coming back into the side, with Nolan moving out onto the left, was as important as anything else in our semi-final/final success in my view.  He was very selfless and whilst I understand the need to improve on him, we ultimately didn't.

Widdowson was a fine player when we first signed up but maybe he fell victim of not being one of the boys, maybe he was one of the boys, either way he left here a lesser player than when he arrived.

James Alabi was just another of Hurst's obsession with a big target man.  

Matt Harrold was bloody excellent when on loan here, at many points in the last 15 years I'd have gladly seen him pull the Black and White shirt on.  That season he was here, our faint play-off hopes vanished when he returned to Brentford.  
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, October 16, 2019, 9:05am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Les Brechin

He's only 35 surprisingly!

same age as prince harry?!?

Posted by: Maringer, October 16, 2019, 10:38am; Reply: 13
Funny thing is, I remember the name Alabi, but can't recall anything else about him without looking it up. I'm guessing he wasn't overly impressive.

I remember how Tounkara looked and played (i.e. not very impressively), but Alabi is just a blank for me.
Posted by: sam gy, October 16, 2019, 2:22pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from diehardmariner

Widdowson was a fine player when we first signed up but maybe he fell victim of not being one of the boys, maybe he was one of the boys, either way he left here a lesser player than when he arrived.

Left us to join a League One team though!
Posted by: Abdul19, October 16, 2019, 2:27pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Maringer
Funny thing is, I remember the name Alabi, but can't recall anything else about him without looking it up. I'm guessing he wasn't overly impressive.

I remember how Tounkara looked and played (i.e. not very impressively), but Alabi is just a blank for me.

To be fair, he managed 27 minutes across 2 sub appearances (plus another 4 minutes in the FA Cup) so it's hardly surprising!

I think he might've scored in the Trophy too actually, but that's not a proper competition.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 7:23pm