Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 12, 2019, 5:16pm
Thought I'd start this off tonight .
1- wrong team selection
2- round pegs in square holes.
3- tinkered with a team after Exeter that didn't need to be touched
4- MJ trying too hard and being too clever when he didn't have to be.
5- proves what the majority of us have thought, MJ is a streaky manager.
6- Scunny are closing in on us if we don't find that winning feeling again soon...
Apart from all that, we did okay🤔🤔....
Posted by: wigworld, October 12, 2019, 5:23pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

4- MJ trying too hard and being too clever when he didn't have to be.

This is the key thing for me. Rather than trying to second guess what the opponents are going to do (which goes disastrously wrong if he doesn't guess right), we should be putting out our best team, with players playing in their best positions.
Posted by: grimsbybrown, October 12, 2019, 5:58pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from wigworld

This is the key thing for me. Rather than trying to second guess what the opponents are going to do (which goes disastrously wrong if he doesn't guess right), we should be putting out our best team, with players playing in their best positions.

I don't have a problem with a manager adjusting a team to exploit the weaknesses an opposition may have (or counteract their strengths) within an overall plan of how we play.  The issue this season seems to be a tendency to pick the wrong strategy at kick-off and it's only later adjustments that see us get a foothold in a match or begin to dominate.  I think our tendency to concede the first goal(s) shows this.

Just think if we started to get it right from kick-off more often!  Anyway, not sure I can say too much on today, I was relying on John Tondeur for information - respect to those who did make it.  Safe journeys back.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 12, 2019, 6:21pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from wigworld

As happened with the Exeter manager a fortnight ago? I understand our selection took him totally by surprise ;)
Posted by: forza ivano, October 12, 2019, 6:24pm; Reply: 4
The final 20 minutes when we showed our good side shouldn't mask a bloody awful first hour or so,which was a throw back to the bad old days.lackadaisical, ponderous ,lack of pace, width and creativity we made the worst team in the league look good.gave Stevenage far too much time on the ball. Cuthbert was their mot m ,bossing hansen all game. Green wasn't very good and cook was as anonymous as usual. Midfield lacked creativity, with Robson being disappointing imho. Nobody had a good game apart from the subs who did show some pace and desire.Great goal by Akheem.will be interested to hear what Jolley has to say, but for me it was dire. Just hope he gives the Exeter line up another go ,coz Hansen and green wasn't in the least bit effective today
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 12, 2019, 6:26pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from forza ivano
The final 20 minutes when we showed our good side shouldn't mask a bloody awful first hour or so,which was a throw back to the bad old days.lackadaisical, ponderous ,lack of pace, width and creativity we made the worst team in the league look good.gave Stevenage far too much time on the ball. Cuthbert was their mot m ,bossing hansen all game. Green wasn't very good and cook was as anonymous as usual. Midfield lacked creativity, with Robson being disappointing imho. Nobody had a good game apart from the subs who did show some pace and desire.Great goal by Akheem.will be interested to hear what Jolley has to say, but for me it was dire. Just hope he gives the Exeter line up another go ,coz Hansen and green wasn't in the least bit effective today

Green and Whitehouse becoming v disappointing.

Posted by: 28195 (Guest), October 12, 2019, 6:46pm; Reply: 6
Another week another bad result - glad I went to watch the Joker
Posted by: chaos33, October 12, 2019, 6:47pm; Reply: 7
For me it’s just the crushing f@cking inevitability of the defeat. You look at that game pre kick off and you know it’ll be typical Town - to not really show up and give a team who haven’t won all season their first three points. Every time you get sucked in by the hope that we’ve learned things and moved on, and might be able to challenge for the play offs, good old Town smack you in the face with a same old same old t*rd result that you just knew was coming. Well done Manager and players. Top stuff.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 12, 2019, 6:53pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from 28195
Another week another bad result - glad I went to watch the Joker

We went to watch 11 jokers today
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 12, 2019, 6:55pm; Reply: 9
For me it was the lack of any sense of urgency. Even with those players and tactics we could have won if there’d been an offensive spirit which wasn’t there until Rose scored.
Posted by: devs, October 12, 2019, 6:56pm; Reply: 10
Agree with all of above
Last 20 mins shows we need pace and energy
Hanson, Green and Whitehouse should be rested (dropped in non snowflake language)
Moses, Vernam and Rose to be given a good run (and Max when he comes back)
Hanson plays - we hoof ball up - living off scraps and it all gets fragmented, sloppy, wasteful and messy

Exeter match showed we have the passing game and pace and movement to frighten defences

Dropping Gibson meant we had to play Hendrie out of position!

Sorry Michael but this chopping and changing means we cant get any rhythm going; players out of natural positions; no cohesion; almost making it up on the hoof (literally); no real pace

Next week for me it's

Hess
Cook
Robson

Moses
Vernam
Rose

Pass it
Pace
Movement
Energy
Keep the ball

rant over....
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 12, 2019, 7:24pm; Reply: 11
Snowflake language?! Glad you’re not in charge of the squad.
Posted by: AndyGTFC, October 12, 2019, 8:39pm; Reply: 12
Yeah, that team selection just didn’t work. Too many one paced players against a Stevenage team who looked well for it.

At least one of Wright, Ogbu, Rose or Vernam should always play for me or we become too easy to play against.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 12, 2019, 8:50pm; Reply: 13
The manager and team must have been motivated by watching England play (or rather not play) last night!
Posted by: forza ivano, October 12, 2019, 9:04pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Green and Whitehouse becoming v disappointing.

Agreed.doesn't help that hendrie and Clifton have gone backwards as well
Posted by: chaos33, October 12, 2019, 9:20pm; Reply: 15
I think there are quite a few that haven’t ‘come on’ in the way they should, or, at least, who have set earlier higher standards and then failed to perform to that level with any sort of consistency.
This is the best squad we’ve had since we came back up, even though it is far from perfectly balanced and we don’t look like we are contenders for relegation, generally speaking, so that’s an improvement. We are probably all thankful for that, but it is really frustrating at the moment.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 12, 2019, 9:33pm; Reply: 16
My first game of the season and to be honest it was a poor show from us,

We made the team bottom of the league look quite good,

I felt for Hanson because every cross was either cut out before it reached him or sailed over his head,

We need a winger who can run to the bye line and cross the ball to Hanson's Head,( Wright ) ?

OR

Not play him and put Moses in the middle which is his best position ,

Green ran about  a lot without doing much so it was just a very disjointed effort from a team that looked if they did not want to be there until Rose scored a lovely goal to give the tremendous following something to shout about.

I agree with the ones that say MJ  changes the team too much why he does not stick with a winning team baffles not only me but many others.

One last final point my train to Cambridge was late leaving Stevenage so I missed my connection to Thurston so I was an hour late getting home.

Roll on Cambridge lets hope for a better display and 3 points.

I can get to a few more games now I have my two new knees. 8)

Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 12, 2019, 9:43pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from grimsby pete

I felt for Hanson because every cross was either cut out before it reached him or sailed over his head,

We need a winger who can run to the bye line and cross the ball to Hanson's Head,( Wright ) ?

OR

Green ran about  a lot without doing much so it was just a very disjointed effort from a team that looked if they did not want to be there until Rose scored a lovely goal to give the tremendous following something to shout about.

I agree with the ones that say MJ  changes the team too much why he does not stick with a winning team baffles not only me but many others.

One last final point my train to Cambridge was late leaving Stevenage so I missed my connection to Thurston so I was an hour late getting home.

Two new knees Pete.... maybe you’d have been  in contention for a game if Jolley actually could have made the 11 substitutions at HT like he suggested 😉
Posted by: scott_gtfc_89, October 12, 2019, 9:51pm; Reply: 18
Vernam needs a run in the team, even if he struggles for a match or two he needs a run, Whitehouse on the wing was a rediculas decision whoever decided that when you players like Vernam, Ogbu and rose on the beach any of them are better than whitehouse in a wide position.

Gibson shouldn’t of been dropped his been solid last few days Hendrie is just not as effective of the left hand side.

We can actually play football as Exeter showed that, but hoofing upto Hanson every game is not working now, yeah he got 5 goals in his first five games but how many now? Zero because teams have us worked out, it’s not a conicidence, we need a plan B and if that means Hanson is dropped for a few games so be it and try it.

Disappointing today.
Posted by: buckstown, October 12, 2019, 10:16pm; Reply: 19
Well that was pants for the reasons others have highlighted.
How many times did we pass wide to a man standing still (usually Hendrie  or Whitehouse) when everyone in the ground knew what was happening 10 seconds before it did. Blow me down their defence spotted it so we had to go backwards again. Stevenage were made to look good going forward for the simple reason that they had a degree of movement which created a spare man.
We finally showed some passion and invention in the last ten but it was too late. We were so bad I'm not sure what the answer is but my suggestion would be to field the 11 that beat Exeter and say well done boys, go and do that again.
Word on the ref who I thought did ok, not least for booking their goalie for time wasting, but also for not caving in to their centre half Cuthbert who was in his ear all game
Highlight of the day was dinner in a Turkish restaurant with Mrs. Bucks after the game. Chicken livers to start and Moussaka for main. Mmmmmm I've nearly forgotten the game again
Posted by: moosey_club, October 12, 2019, 10:49pm; Reply: 20
well at least Jolley didn,t try and paint it any other way in his post match interview....not good enough ..simple.

Posted by: Madeleymariner, October 12, 2019, 10:58pm; Reply: 21
Utter cack for 70 mins, no pace, no invention, no one on the pitch capable of taking a man on, ponderous gloop and looked no better than when  Slade was here, Whitehouse as winger   NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo. RB playing at LB NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Lump to Hanson Noooooooooooooooooo. Play football with pace and purpose yesssss please. Lets hope we get Max fit again to play alongside Ogbu and Rose. Only good performances today came from the subs, Also since Davies came back we have looked well dodgy in deferce, 2 goals from unmarked players on edge of 6 yard box, both times the only opposing player really in the box, shocking. >:(  At least I got to go to a game with Younger Son Of for a change so one positive out of it.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 13, 2019, 12:44am; Reply: 22
One think I forgot to mention was the stewards were very friendly and polite so fairs do,s they have learnt there lesson.
Posted by: Davec, October 13, 2019, 8:17am; Reply: 23
Well that was poor! Stevenage were direct at times but they were aimed balls with a target in mind, ours was just hoof and hope, we was 2nd to every ball! The defending for both goals was mind boggling bad, maybe an unpopular opinion but I have never been convinced by Harry Davis and I think Pollock should be in front of him, Hendrie has regressed this season, potentially down to the fact he's playing out of position, after a shandy start Gibson has improved and has shown he is capable so why is he dropped to play Hendrie out of position? Whitehouse isn't a winger! Not skilfull enough, not quick enough and not technically good enough, I've been underwhelmed by Whitehouse, maybe playing out of position and his injury has hampered him but I don't think he should be  automatic pick, Green has been poor overall, he doesn't do enough in games and at times it seems to me he can't be arsed and he's living off the 2 wonder strikes against Chelsea and Colchester, Hanson has gone off the boil, probably because teams have worked out how to play against us, Hanson is also very capable with the ball at his feet so we don't always have to just hoof it up at every given oppurtunity, once again we are an unbalanced squad with little nataural width, not helped by Wright's injury but in the absence of Wright I would use Vernam more as given a run of games I think he could be a useful option, maybe Hanson Green and Whitehouse need benching for a period, I'm not writing them 3 off but they are not proving to be effective for whatever reason and time on the bench may be the answer, we are better than last season but I still think we are a couple of players at least away from being play off contenders come the end of the season.
Posted by: sydney, October 13, 2019, 8:31am; Reply: 24
So Town win at a team that hasn’t lost
Then Town lose at a team that hasn’t won
That typifies been a Town Fan !
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 13, 2019, 8:38am; Reply: 25
Quoted from moosey_club
well at least Jolley didn,t try and paint it any other way in his post match interview....not good enough ..simple.

But he also didn’t appear to take any accountability for the selection or set up 🤔

He said “we could have made 11 subs at half time” but made none?

Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, October 13, 2019, 8:43am; Reply: 26
Quoted from HertsGTFC

But he also didn’t appear to take any accountability for the selection or set up 🤔

He said “we could have made 11 subs at half time” but made none?

One, Ogbu for Cook at HT

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, October 13, 2019, 8:46am; Reply: 27
Quoted from sydney
So Town win at a team that hasn’t lost
Then Town lose at a team that hasn’t won
That typifies been a Town Fan !

It’s the Grimsby way 😐
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 13, 2019, 9:18am; Reply: 28
No point making the same comments that everyone else has made . They’re so glaringly obvious mistakes by the management with team selection that it was obvious after the first ten minutes that it was probably going to go wrong.
Highlight of the day was watching Ogbu’s ball juggling skills and balancing it on his head and chin at half time .
Posted by: rancido, October 13, 2019, 3:35pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from grimsby pete

OR

That's good news - so you no longer play the part of Diogenes!! ;D
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 13, 2019, 4:40pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from rancido

Funny spelling of dodgy knees Rancido  ;) ;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 13, 2019, 9:12pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from rancido

No. He's up for a part as an astronaut reminiscing about his career. Neil Armstrong.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 2:36am