Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 11, 2019, 6:33pm

We (England) can seal qualification to Euro 2020 with a victory over the Czech Republic tonight.

Team to play Czech Republic: Pickford, Trippier, Keane, Maguire, Rose, Rice, Henderson, Mount, Sterling, Sancho, Kane

Subs: Pope, Alexander-Arnold, Chilwell, Gomez, Mings, Timori, Winks, Barkley, Rashford, D.Henderson, Abraham.

Come on ENGLAND  (100)
Posted by: Abdul19, October 11, 2019, 6:50pm; Reply: 1
Would liked to see have seen Chilwell instead of Rose but should be a routine win regardless
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 11, 2019, 7:49pm; Reply: 2

Penalty England   :)

Kane scores
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 11, 2019, 8:12pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Abdul19
Would liked to see have seen Chilwell instead of Rose but should be a routine win regardless

Not on this showing so far.

Posted by: Gaffer58, October 11, 2019, 8:20pm; Reply: 4
Gosh, this is tedious,
Posted by: Abdul19, October 11, 2019, 8:20pm; Reply: 5
As well researched a prediction as my prediction league ones  ;D
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 11, 2019, 8:23pm; Reply: 6
England look she...ite so far, really not impressed
Posted by: Gaffer58, October 11, 2019, 8:29pm; Reply: 7
And this is international/ premiership football, I've seen more excitement whatching two hedgehogs race across my back lawn.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 11, 2019, 8:32pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
England look she...ite so far, really not impressed

You have a Sunni outlook
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 11, 2019, 8:33pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Gaffer58
And this is international/ premiership football, I've seen more excitement whatching two hedgehogs race across my back lawn.

I would happily watch that!
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 11, 2019, 8:36pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I would happily watch that!

Could be a spiky affair!!
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, October 11, 2019, 8:45pm; Reply: 11
On that first half showing we won’t be winning anything in the foreseeable future ,even if we improve in the second half Southgate doesn’t convince me one bit
Posted by: Bigdog, October 11, 2019, 8:54pm; Reply: 12
England are 12-1 to win Euro 2020  For those of you who don't understand betting... If you bet £100, you will lose £100..
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 11, 2019, 8:56pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Bigdog
England are 12-1 to win Euro 2020  For those of you who don't understand betting... If you bet £100, you will lose £100!

Like it   ;D

I might put 50p on England though   ;)

Posted by: Gaffer58, October 11, 2019, 9:03pm; Reply: 14
Noticed a Town flag behind the goal, hope they get back in time for Stevanage,
Posted by: LH, October 11, 2019, 9:05pm; Reply: 15
England got lucky in the World Cup with other strong nations having an exceptionally poor tournament. We were always going to have a hangover of sorts because we overachieved. While I’m on a rant ‘the three lions’ is the worst nickname in international football.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 11, 2019, 9:13pm; Reply: 16
We play with 2 defensive midfielders. We must fear being attacked more than our ability to go forward and score goals.  This is strange as we cannot defend anyway (certainly not tonight) and yet we are good moving forward at pace, creating chances and scoring.
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 11, 2019, 9:18pm; Reply: 17

Its all going to be good, Rashford has come on.
Posted by: LH, October 11, 2019, 9:22pm; Reply: 18
This Czech team could be a team of football lookalikes put together by Paddy Power for all I know. ‘David Luiz‘ just won a corner and I’m sure I just saw ‘Martin Skrtel’.
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 11, 2019, 9:28pm; Reply: 19

2-1 to the Czech Republic   :-/....Fenty out.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 11, 2019, 9:28pm; Reply: 20
The Czechs were shite at Wemberlee but fair play, they deserve that
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, October 11, 2019, 9:48pm; Reply: 21
Czechs outplayed up and England deserved to lose, spent the whole first half being negative, second half they were better but not much, but you can't spend the whole game defending like that and not expect to lose.
Posted by: Kris2, October 11, 2019, 10:14pm; Reply: 22
Didn't look interested or committed in the slightest. Outplayed by a hard working team that defended well and took their chances. It was depressing watching players stand there when we had throw ins. No movement, no desire.
Posted by: supertown, October 11, 2019, 10:21pm; Reply: 23
It’s the first really poor performance for quite a while , calm down
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 11, 2019, 11:36pm; Reply: 24
So the Sun headline will be Bohemian Crapsody
Posted by: Maringer, October 11, 2019, 11:44pm; Reply: 25
No great surprise that a defence comprised mostly of mid to low table Premiership players should struggle a bit. That said, Rice might as well have not been playing and Henderson wasn't much better. If you've got two defensive midfielders on the pitch, you'd sort of hope they would do a bit more defending. Central midfield definitely still our main weakness. Just no balance there.

Surprised it has been 10 years since we last lost a qualifier because I remember some really bad performances (worse than tonight) during that time. We just didn't take any of the few other chances we created when in past qualifiers we've nicked one.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 12, 2019, 4:05am; Reply: 26
Southgate fanny’s around with the defence game in game out keeps the front 3 relatively stable so (other than tonight) we score a few but leak more.

He’s an intelligent bloke so I can’t understand why he picks Keane who for club and country looks nothing like international class.
Posted by: Maringer, October 12, 2019, 7:17am; Reply: 27
Keane is an old fashioned centre half but that's not really enough in the present day. Reminds me of a slightly sub-par Cahill. Both looked very awkward when they had the ball at their feet.

Maguire was a bit below the required level last night as well. His big money move certainly hasn't improved his game and Rose was out of sorts as well. Real issues in defence at present.

That said, Southgate shouldn't have played around with the formation and it would have been much better with Barkley starting as one of the middle two.

Got to be said, Sancho has ability, but he struck me as a bit lightweight and, well, lazy, last night.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 12, 2019, 8:47am; Reply: 28
That was hard work, watching that last night!

Definitely need to get that defence sorted. A shame Ludvig isn't English!  ;)
Posted by: smokey111, October 12, 2019, 9:08am; Reply: 29
Having seen enough decent England performances over the last 18 months I am going to cut them some slack and put it down to 'an off day'. I know the pundits referred to this but the tempo was too slow. Easy options were taken rather than risking passes which would have broken through their midfield. I genuinely think Maddison is the real deal and think he will add to the team.
Posted by: cannylad68, October 12, 2019, 9:45am; Reply: 30
How old is Jimmy now?
Posted by: moosey_club, October 12, 2019, 10:22am; Reply: 31
Keane ball watching on both goals, the second goal the striker hardly moved yet Keane ran away from him and left him in acres of space. If its clever movement from a striker to lose the defender then fair enough but it was hardly that.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 12, 2019, 10:36am; Reply: 32
Quoted from supertown
It’s the first really poor performance for quite a while , calm down

Maybe the first “really” poor one but not the first poor one. The same pattern over again. Plan A works for 10 minutes and gets a goal. The athletes and the scurriers up front look dangerous. Opposition susses out the tactic and marks up putting pressure on England midfield and defence. No answer, no partnerships, no cohesion, no defensive tactics, no basic marking, no distribution. Any international coach worth his salt who has watched England for the last 12 months knows how to win and the England coach doesn’t.
Posted by: mimma, October 12, 2019, 1:49pm; Reply: 33
Our problems last night came from out wide. Our full backs were poor and had no cover in front of them. This meant that the centre halves were pulled out wide. Every attack came from out wide.

We have the best full back in Europe in Alexander Trent Arnold but pick Rose ahead of him (unless he was injured?).

Echoes of Jolleys tactics in not using or defending the wings?
Posted by: Abdul19, October 12, 2019, 2:35pm; Reply: 34
To be fair that does sound more like a name
Posted by: Grantley, October 12, 2019, 2:38pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from mimma
Our problems last night came from out wide. Our full backs were poor and had no cover in front of them. This meant that the centre halves were pulled out wide. Every attack came from out wide.

We have the best full back in Europe in Alexander Trent Arnold but pick Rose ahead of him (unless he was injured?).

Echoes of Jolleys tactics in not using or defending the wings?

Trent Alexander-Arnold is a right-back, whereas Rose is a left-back?
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 12, 2019, 3:09pm; Reply: 36
We had no movement either.  This makes life harder for ourselves.  Maybe the team were too complacent and with the players selected, could not raise their game?
Posted by: MrsMariner, October 12, 2019, 3:21pm; Reply: 37
The majority of the players selected are either out of form or out of favour with their club sides. Why not pick players in form.
As soon as I saw both Henderson & Rice selected I new it would be a waste of time watching
Posted by: Maringer, October 12, 2019, 3:46pm; Reply: 38
I think Rice ('Up the R.A.!') looks like he could potentially be a good defensive midfielder but his touch and passing was well below-par last night. Same can be said for most of our defensive players in fact.
Posted by: mimma, October 12, 2019, 7:19pm; Reply: 39
Sorry for confusing left and right back!

Point is Rose is struggling in a poor Spurs side but still makes the England squad. I stand by what I say about Trent Alexander Arnold.  He's played in pressure matches all season and was unlucky not to get a premier winner's medal, played in two Champuons League finals, yet isn't a regular for England. Keane struggles at centre half, ok in the league, but not an international IMHO.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 12:28pm