Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: smokey111, September 29, 2019, 12:05pm
Anyone have one please?
Posted by: ska face, September 29, 2019, 12:07pm; Reply: 1
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07pln9r
Posted by: smokey111, September 29, 2019, 12:11pm; Reply: 2
Many thanks
Posted by: chaos33, September 29, 2019, 12:18pm; Reply: 3
Managed it beautifully yesterday. They must have planned to play against our regular starting 11, with Hanson's Aerial threat, Green, and all the rest of it, and he hits them with pace, wide players, passing....

Seriously well done to the manager and squad

UTM
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 29, 2019, 1:00pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from chaos33
Managed it beautifully yesterday. They must have planned to play against our regular starting 11, with Hanson's Aerial threat, Green, and all the rest of it, and he hits them with pace, wide players, passing....

Seriously well done to the manager and squad

UTM

MJ  said it was always the plan to go with that attack at Exeter before the Chelsea game.

The cunning plan worked  ;D
Posted by: devs, September 29, 2019, 1:30pm; Reply: 5
Well done on tactical plan but (perhaps I'm old fashioned) why possibly now change a winning team?
Why worry about the opposition too much?

Often when we lose a number of people cite lack of workrate, no-one interested and so on...when actually it's a lack of composure, intelligence and not looking after the ball

Long ball to Hanson is a 50/50 call - and if he flicks it on it's often to no one

Saturday shows if you have the right players in the starting XI you can play passing football with pace

So I'd be thinking Hanson, Whitehouse, Clifton, Hewitt - only squad players and part of Plan B (and they will get game time when subs need making)

In Max, Ogbis, Akheem (poss Green), Hess, Robson, Cook we have the makings of a very potent front six for this level

Goalie and back four pretty much sorted - as good as most in this league

As Lord Buckley has said - pick your best XI - stick with them - pass and move - ball retention - bingo!
Posted by: devs, September 29, 2019, 1:31pm; Reply: 6
Ogbis!
Ogbu
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 29, 2019, 1:49pm; Reply: 7
Nice ideas Devs but noway did Hanson sign for us to be a bench warmer, the others you mention I do agree with yet on Wednesday Whitehouse was one of our most effective players until he decided to watch the ball rather than stick his foot through it when in our box..
Think Jolley has a clear idea of how he wants us to play but what yesterday did show, and probably surprised Jolley in the process, is that we have a squad capable of playing more than one style if football...it's put the cat right amongst the pigeons and given Jolley an headache he didn't see coming...
Posted by: smokey111, September 29, 2019, 2:14pm; Reply: 8
Don't underestimate Hanson's football ability. Just because he is 6ft 4  it doesn't mean we can't play into his feet.
Posted by: devs, September 29, 2019, 2:28pm; Reply: 9
agree re hanson ability
But in English game if you have big target man it is far too tempting to keep lumping it up to him
I think yesterday's starting XI would have beaten Salford
FGR beat em 4-0 yesterday and they pass it around nicely
for me Hanson would be part of Plan B
But I accept he won't have come here to warm a bench
So get tough Mr J
Posted by: chaos33, September 29, 2019, 2:29pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from devs
Well done on tactical plan but (perhaps I'm old fashioned) why possibly now change a winning team?

Often when we lose a number of people cite lack of workrate, no-one interested and so on...when actually it's a lack of composure, intelligence and not looking after the ball

Long ball to Hanson is a 50/50 call - and if he flicks it on it's often to no one

Saturday shows if you have the right players in the starting XI you can play passing football with pace

So I'd be thinking Hanson, Whitehouse, Clifton, Hewitt - only squad players and part of Plan B (and they will get game time when subs need making)

In Max, Ogbis, Akheem (poss Green), Hess, Robson, Cook we have the makings of a very potent front six for this level

As Lord Buckley has said - pick your best XI - stick with them - pass and move - ball retention - bingo!

Not so hard and fast for me. Football has moved on and not everyone plays 4-4-2 like in Buckley’s day. Each game on its merits. Horses for courses and all that. Use the squad to best effect and that’s what he’ll do, clearly.
Posted by: ska face, September 29, 2019, 2:35pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from devs

This is what I don't get - why wouldn't you worry about the opposition? If Mansfield have a back 4 all about 5'10'' and a keeper who couldn't catch a cold, I'd be playing Hanson & Green and loading it at every opportunity. Or if they have a load of massive lumps at the back who win every header but can't run, then look at something similar to yesterday.

That's what Jolley and Limbrick get paid to do - find a way to beat the opposition. We aren't Man City or Barcelona - we can't force teams to play the way we want because we don't have the quality to completely control the play for 90 minutes, very few teams do.  
Posted by: chaos33, September 29, 2019, 2:41pm; Reply: 12
Exactly
Posted by: Hagrid, September 29, 2019, 2:45pm; Reply: 13
Hanson is our top scorer. You dont drop him
Posted by: devs, September 29, 2019, 2:53pm; Reply: 14
We agree to disagree
Bet Bury didn't chop and change last season too much
Passing footy
Promoted
Not that it ended happily!

Perhaps most vital thing is to have this midfield starting most games
Pace
Energy
Creativity

Hewitt
Harry
Whitehouse

No thanks
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 29, 2019, 3:01pm; Reply: 15
The best front 3 at the moment would be Wright, Hanson and Ogbu. Gives you a bit of everything.

Greens spectacular goals have been great, but on current form I would prefer Wright.

Ogbu has been briliant, and I guess there is a lot more to come as he settles into English football.

I think there is only the need for one defensive midfielder, and that position is being filled by Hess.

I was disappointed we didn't play Robson, Cook Wright and Ogbu against Chelsea but it certainly foxed Exeter by playing them all yesterday.
Posted by: mariner91, September 29, 2019, 3:03pm; Reply: 16
The big difference between the midfielders who played yesterday and the players who were left out is their technical ability. There’s no real surprise that one of our best footballing performances came with Whitehouse and Clifton on the bench behind Robson and Cook (Hess picked automatically pretty much).
Posted by: devs, September 29, 2019, 3:06pm; Reply: 17
Agree with last two posts
I would not object to Hanson in that front three
Livo
Sir Keith
Two who were part of a good passing team
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 29, 2019, 3:20pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from devs
We agree to disagree
Bet Bury didn't chop and change last season too much
Passing footy
Promoted
Not that it ended happily!

Perhaps most vital thing is to have this midfield starting most games
Pace
Energy
Creativity

Hewitt
Harry
Whitehouse

No thanks

I think you've partly answered your own point there. Bury had higher quality players who could play the passing game, fast enough. Players they couldn't afford. We're not quite in sow's ear territory, but we're not up with the silk purse holders either.
Posted by: devs, September 29, 2019, 3:33pm; Reply: 19
Probably a good point re Bury
I suppose my main point is we have a squad that can easily play attacking, pacy, passing footy
as Saturday showed
Third goal was superb

Posted by: Garth, September 29, 2019, 3:59pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from devs

Hanson plan B? who's scored the most goals this season
Posted by: Civvy at last, September 29, 2019, 4:11pm; Reply: 21
Can anyone post a link that doesn’t involve logging in to the BBC. It doesn’t recognise my password. (The one I’ve had for ages) and won’t let me reset it for some reason.
Posted by: smokey111, September 29, 2019, 4:22pm; Reply: 22
Got to be a positive when we are discussing the merits of starting with our top scorer, who was also August's player of the month. The beauty of this squad is the variety we have. Look at the bench on Saturday. Fingers crossed we stay relatively injury free and avoid too many suspensions.

Genuine question - What addition/s would people like to see in January if Fenty frees up the Chelsea money?
Posted by: devs, September 29, 2019, 4:31pm; Reply: 23
Great we can have a debate like this that is basically for positives reasons
I'd be happy with Hanson coming in for Rose
Just hope MJ doesn't make 3/4 changes v Mansfield and it upsets the overall rhythm
But it has been the fashion for a few years now to tinker - pros and cons
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 29, 2019, 5:07pm; Reply: 24
Very much like the idea of a 4-1-4-1 with Hess and Hanson as the 1's. Middle 4 trickier but has to include Robson - probably Cook, Wright on the left and Ogbu on the right (Hewitt if we're going more defensive). Back 4 of Hendrie, Waterfall, Pollock and Gibson.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 29, 2019, 5:26pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Civvy at last
Can anyone post a link that doesn’t involve logging in to the BBC. It doesn’t recognise my password. (The one I’ve had for ages) and won’t let me reset it for some reason.

Hmmm! I wouldn't be surprised if they've caught up with you. You'll be getting a knock on the door before dawn.
Posted by: rancido, September 29, 2019, 6:29pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from devs
Probably a good point re Bury
I suppose my main point is we have a squad that can easily play attacking, pacy, passing footy
as Saturday showed
Third goal was superb

You summed it up when you said " we have a squad" - and not an XI as you seem to advocate.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 29, 2019, 6:44pm; Reply: 27
Sensible to research the opposition, as mentioned above.  Just need some balance.  Hurst used to build up part-time teams near the bottom of the league as a mixture of Liverpool and Man City. Then he said the same in the Press.  
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 29, 2019, 6:44pm; Reply: 28
Sensible to research the opposition, as mentioned above.  Just need some balance.  Hurst used to build up part-time teams near the bottom of the league as a mixture of Liverpool and Man City. Then he said the same in the Press.  
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 12:23am