Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 14, 2019, 4:36pm
A league 2 manager trying to be a premier league manager..

He couldn't resist.
Posted by: Fishy clapper, September 14, 2019, 4:37pm; Reply: 1
Back under your rock
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 14, 2019, 4:44pm; Reply: 2
Nice one.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 14, 2019, 4:53pm; Reply: 3
Hahaha i just couldn't help it could i  ;D
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, September 14, 2019, 5:18pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Fishy clapper
Back under your rock

Abso-bloody-exactly.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, September 14, 2019, 5:56pm; Reply: 5
Now that’s bait
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 14, 2019, 5:58pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Hahaha i just couldn't help it could i  ;D

Haven't you got a delayed appointment with a sausage?
Posted by: rancido, September 14, 2019, 6:04pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Haven't you got a delayed appointment with a sausage?

It's time he rode the polony pony !! ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 14, 2019, 6:10pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from rancido

It's time he rode the polony pony !! ;D

Or mounted a makkara
Posted by: golfer, September 14, 2019, 6:41pm; Reply: 9
[quote=120785]

Or mounted a makkara[/quote  

Or even a kestomakkara
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 14, 2019, 6:54pm; Reply: 10
He could always ask the "Singing Dustman"...he's got a spare salami...🤭🤭
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, September 14, 2019, 7:32pm; Reply: 11
What is this thread about?
Posted by: crusty ole pie, September 14, 2019, 7:44pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
What is this thread about?

Glad you asked
Posted by: smokey111, September 14, 2019, 7:47pm; Reply: 13
????
Posted by: supertown, September 14, 2019, 7:50pm; Reply: 14
I’m guessing it was posted when we were 2 down and it was a dig at MJ
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 14, 2019, 7:52pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from supertown
I’m guessing it was posted when we were 2 down and it was a dig at MJ

10 out of 10....but let's be honest, Jolley couldn't help but tinker...it's like Ranieri in league 2.. 😂😂
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 14, 2019, 8:46pm; Reply: 16
Not a dig but only putting what we all thinking..

We only got a draw once he stopped playing our defensive midfielder on the wing and actually playing the players in there positions whether some like it or not.

Im not arsed who ticks crosses or whatever tbf..

Have a good night all.  :)
Posted by: Martz86, September 14, 2019, 8:53pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from jonnyboy82

We only got a draw once he stopped playing our defensive midfielder on the wing and actually playing the players in there positions whether some like it or not.

To be fair you are right, there is no need to tinker with a team that is getting results.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 14, 2019, 9:11pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Martz86

To be fair you are right, there is no need to tinker with a team that is getting results.

ermm...but we lost last week  ::)
Posted by: Martz86, September 14, 2019, 9:13pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from moosey_club

ermm...but we lost last week  ::)

True, but successful teams don't always get a result every week.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, September 14, 2019, 9:29pm; Reply: 20
Cook had a niggle mid week so maybe couldn’t be risked for 90 mins and Clifton had been away on international duty.  Green was presumably injured too, so he needed to switch things around.  
Posted by: chaos33, September 14, 2019, 10:01pm; Reply: 21
If we were just going to play the same team every week there wouldn’t be much point in assembling a squad. Looks like he might not have called it right tactically today, but you can’t bemoan the changing of the team as circumstances dictate. At least we were able to pull it round and make changes and avoid losing the game. The important thing is that management must have learned some things today.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, September 14, 2019, 10:10pm; Reply: 22
And at least changes where made that actually affected the outcome of the game - also as MJ said in his post match 8 games played we’ve lost 2 and we are still a work in progress - as most of us know and agree with MJ - still always going to be those who moan and say stupid things when we don’t get all 3 points - as long as we keep the wins higher than the losses all will be well

UTFM
Posted by: LH, September 14, 2019, 10:20pm; Reply: 23
Get the injured players on with crutches or better still dig up the corpses of the 1930s greats.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 14, 2019, 10:25pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Speak for yourself mate.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 14, 2019, 11:13pm; Reply: 25
The difference this season Is the team never give up and fight to the end.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, September 15, 2019, 7:25am; Reply: 26
To be fair it's not just Jolley he has a right hand man scrutinising every player after last weeks performance agaist Crewe it is clear something was missing. They tried a few things it did not work that is why you have a squad keep the faith Jolley knows what he is doing lets not make him into another Hurst and drive him away.
Posted by: Bigdog, September 15, 2019, 9:45am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
To be fair it's not just Jolley he has a right hand man scrutinising every player after last weeks performance agaist Crewe it is clear something was missing. They tried a few things it did not work that is why you have a squad keep the faith Jolley knows what he is doing lets not make him into another Hurst and drive him away.

Agree with sticking by Jolley and backing him, players aren't robots or 100% fit for every game, but for the record, and straight from Hurst's own mouth, the fans did not drive him away..
Posted by: sam gy, September 15, 2019, 11:43am; Reply: 28
Quoted from jonnyboy82
A league 2 manager trying to be a premier league manager..

He couldn't resist.

What, by playing 442? Pep’s favourite formation.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 15, 2019, 11:49am; Reply: 29
Well that's TOTW sorted  ;)
Posted by: rancido, September 15, 2019, 12:09pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Not all, SausageBoy! When you have a player injured then you have to make a change. If you feel that the opposing team has a player or set-up then you may have to change to nullify that. MJ is learning all the team and the fact that he changed when the system wasn't working demonstrates that. As much as some posters don't like it , some combinations can only be tried in real match conditions. It's ok trying something on the training pitch but when an attacker trains and plays against a defender all week long then he pretty well knows what's coming. The opposition are, to a degree, an unknown quantity. You try something , it doesn't work, you learn and try something else. This is how a team evolves and a manager gains experience.
Posted by: rancido, September 15, 2019, 12:12pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from GrimRob
Well that's TOTW sorted  ;)

Exactly! Now where is that bratwurst.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 15, 2019, 2:34pm; Reply: 32
Love it how the usual 6 year old comments come out by the same old bores.

Whoever doesn't admit jolley starting whitehouse left wing on saturday was bizarre is a liar, listen we got our goals and  90th minute equaliser AFTER changing it and taking whitehouse off the wing and playing him in the middle.

I couldn't care less who has a go at me with ancient material as there brain cant engage properly, i honestly couldn't give a toss.

I stand by it that we started all wrong with players in whitehouse and Hewitt playing in there wrong positions and our performance showed it whether some like it or not and we would never have got a point if we carried on, we changed it playing players in there best position and we got a draw.

Anyone who was at the game with a brain cell or watched it will say we were shite until we changed it.

Red Cross this or have cheap childish digs or whatever turns you on i couldn't care less but i only put what anyone at that game was thinking.

Jolley has been praised recently and rightly so but yesterday until he changed it ge got it massively wrong.
Posted by: Rik e B, September 15, 2019, 9:15pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
lets not make him into another Hurst and drive him away.

Let's not fall for the Fenty propoganda machines party line that it all the toxic fans fault (the same illegitimates who put there hard earned into keeping the club afloat week on week).

From the horses mouth Hurst was promised more staff to make us a more professional outfit and said promises were broken and all he got was a sh!tty probably renovated porta cabin. I'd call that primary evidence and hence the truth.

A dishonourable action breaking the bond of trust and ahorrendous intercourse up when we finally on an upward trajectory. From a surprising outsider for a playoff spot in early stages of first season back to, aided by further disastrous decision making, us almost nosediving back into the abyss and possible extinction.

But yeah it could only be the nasty ungrateful fans fault. The current custodians done nothing short of a grand job if they do say themselves.
Posted by: Rik e B, September 15, 2019, 9:26pm; Reply: 34
Or perhaps Hurst thought the packed out section of 4 and a half thousand supporters roaring on his side and chanting they his black and white army over and over made him think, 'you know what, balderdash to them cretins I'm off' 🤔
Posted by: Rik e B, September 16, 2019, 7:24am; Reply: 35
Playing Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday (Wednesday 😎) some rotation is going to be required - certain players had knocks as well which ties hands some more. Jolley has said he has no set formation and may change it to suit from time to time (or maybe even the suit the personell available) but clearly shoehorning players into the team and square pegs in round holes was a bit of a gaffe.

Playing Whitehouse on the wing when we've finally got an actual left winger in the squad in Max Wright a strange one, then of course the Hewitt/Hendrie/Gibson conundrum.

Hopefully lessons have been learned like it appears they have been for errors last season, still a rookie manager learning his way. At least he did change and fix things, albeit belatedly, and we just got out of jail.

Think Robson will be quiet useful once he all greased up and firing on all cylinders.
Posted by: Rik e B, September 16, 2019, 7:26am; Reply: 36
But then I didn't attend to have the anger from being thoroughly un-entertained for 80 minutes...
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 16, 2019, 8:13am; Reply: 37
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I couldn't care less who has a go at me with ancient material as there brain cant engage properly, i honestly couldn't give a toss.

You keep saying you don't care but then keep responding to those who respond to your rants.  

To be honest I think there's some merit in what you say, although I'm not sure to the extent that you were upset about it.  Jolley did tinker a little bit too much for my liking and has done since he arrived.  Injuries/knocks to Green and Cook are accepted, you have to work with what you've got on the day.  But the persistence with trying Hewitt in midfield is an idea that needs knocking on the head.  Far more suited at right-back as an individual but also with the balance it offers, not to mention his ability to deliver crosses from deep.

Jolley, to his credit, did get it right when he brought Cook on but even then he put Hewitt at left-back, the same flank where Oldham's second goal came from (numerous other errors and lapses of concentration involved in that goal too).

The Hewitt issue aside, Jolley made a change which got a point.  We showed character and guts, despite not playing well.  I don't think anyone had a good game on Saturday.  Even the usual suspects of Hessenthaler, Hanson....all seemed to struggle, it doesn't matter what system or set-up you go with if most of your team aren't at the races.  But give me a side that can pull a draw out of the bag like that any day of the week.  They're the type of sides that succeed in the long run.  Let's focus on that as a positive.
Posted by: marinerdazza, September 16, 2019, 10:12am; Reply: 38
Some of your comments might have been fair if you'd tempered the rest of it and waited until 90 minutes to verbally spaff all over the forum.

Unfortunately, you didn't and the rest is history.

All I'll say is that having seen Oldham take us apart at home last season, I'll take a point away any day of the week. And so would most.
Posted by: Tommy, September 16, 2019, 11:22am; Reply: 39
I don't understand the comment: "A league 2 manager trying to be a premier league manager."

Don't all League Two Manager have aspirations to manage at the highest level possible?

Is it referring to the changes to the line-up? Is it only premier league managers that are allowed to make changes to a team?
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 16, 2019, 11:48am; Reply: 40
I can understand jonnyboy's frustration when the 2nd goal went in.

BUT

Most managers tinker some more than others, they have to protect some players from too much action and make sure others get some game time to keep them happy and ready for when they might be needed.

Picking a side is easy if your job does not depend on the result , what I suggest in the future if I may jonnyboy is wait until the end of the game before having a pop at the manager you never know we might score 2 late goals, :)

Interesting fact,   Town would be bottom 2 based on first hald scores but top 2 based on 2nd half scores.
Posted by: oochiad, September 16, 2019, 12:27pm; Reply: 41
Good fact that Pete. I’d much prefer a team that gets it right in the second half having sussed out the opposition and manager. If we can get it right earlier in the game then we could have an exciting end of the season.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 16, 2019, 1:15pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from oochiad
Good fact that Pete. I’d much prefer a team that gets it right in the second half having sussed out the opposition and manager. If we can get it right earlier in the game then we could have an exciting end of the season.

I saw stats a week or two ago how we were poor at getting out of the blocks but that in the last 15 minutes we were nigh on unstoppable... Saturday will only have compounded that

It's funny though that at the start of last season it was just the reverse... we were scoring first and then just weren't able to capitalise, more often than not letting the lead slip

As has been said, we are not the finished article but we're getting better... marry last season's games where we got the lead to the way we end games now and we could be in for a good time

I quite liked a comment made by Pete Smurthwaite ( Brid Town chairman ) on Friday night's RH Sports Talk.... he said he was really impressed with our fitness and how in the second half against Macc, if it had been a boxing match, the ref would have stepped in.

His independent view means a lot more to me than folk who are dissecting our squad and taking aim at our manager... Jolley has been in charge of us now for 18 months and that fact that our expectations are now much greater comes down to what he & AL have achieved

Anyway on to the next game tomorrow at Salford .... who should be picked, what positions should they play in and why? Discuss...  ;)

UTM
Posted by: Meza, September 16, 2019, 1:27pm; Reply: 43
I thought the slight rotation is MJ maybe trying to keep players happy.  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 16, 2019, 1:38pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Rik e B
But then I didn't attend to have the anger from being thoroughly un-entertained for 80 minutes...

I suspect johnnyboy didn’t either
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 16, 2019, 3:19pm; Reply: 45
Wrong again kingston.
Posted by: rancido, September 16, 2019, 5:58pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Wrong again kingston.

Maybe jonnyboy can explain the difference between how a League 2 manager prepares for a game and a Premiersh*t one? I always thought it was down to who is available, what format you want to play and how you counteract what the opposition will throw at you. Maybe the Premiersh*t is different but then again I wouldn't know because the only football I watch is basically GTFC and England.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 16, 2019, 6:37pm; Reply: 47
Well rancid if you went to the Macclesfield game you would have seen we played 442 2nd half with ogbu out wide and max wright on the other wing and green up top with hanson . We played excellent and dominated.

Now if you would have gone on Saturday we started 442 and yes matt green was injured but we played elliot whitehouse on the wing which was just bizarre, the fans at the match thought the same and we were shite, why he didnt just play wright and ogbu out wide and cook or vernam up front with hanson?

Hewitt who has looked fine in defence looked horrible in midfield as he has whenever he has started there before.

It never worked from the 1st minute and as soon as he changed it and played players in there more natural positions we strangely scored twice and looked a different team, similar to the Macclesfield 2nd half.

Elliot Hewitt is not a midfielder but is fine as a right back and Elliott whitehouse is from what i seen a more than adequate central midfielder but putting him out wide was a bad move.

I been to all the games this season and the 800+ fans on saturday were not happy at half time and couldn't understand what jolley was trying to do, im not sure you have or even went saturday as if you had you would have seen how we played before he changed it.

Hope this answers your question but as always it's easy to have a go from the cheap seats.
Posted by: rancido, September 16, 2019, 7:38pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Well rancid if you went to the Macclesfield game you would have seen we played 442 2nd half with ogbu out wide and max wright on the other wing and green up top with hanson . We played excellent and dominated.

Now if you would have gone on Saturday we started 442 and yes matt green was injured but we played elliot whitehouse on the wing which was just bizarre, the fans at the match thought the same and we were shite, why he didnt just play wright and ogbu out wide and cook or vernam up front with hanson?

Hewitt who has looked fine in defence looked horrible in midfield as he has whenever he has started there before.

It never worked from the 1st minute and as soon as he changed it and played players in there more natural positions we strangely scored twice and looked a different team, similar to the Macclesfield 2nd half.

Elliot Hewitt is not a midfielder but is fine as a right back and Elliott whitehouse is from what i seen a more than adequate central midfielder but putting him out wide was a bad move.

I been to all the games this season and the 800+ fans on saturday were not happy at half time and couldn't understand what jolley was trying to do, im not sure you have or even went saturday as if you had you would have seen how we played before he changed it.

Hope this answers your question but as always it's easy to have a go from the cheap seats.

Very interesting read and a very thorough analysis of the last two games. Sadly , it never answered my original  question which was  apart from their difference in the football pyramid ," what is the difference between a Premiersh*t manager and a League 2 manager" ?
I don't know about cheap seats but I suppose mine are as I acquired them from the previous owner of my property.
Posted by: Rik e B, September 17, 2019, 12:01am; Reply: 49
Strange that County fans said Hewitt better in midfield and shocking at full back (Confused)
Posted by: Croxton, September 17, 2019, 9:20am; Reply: 50
The dynamic of the game had as much impact as the positional changes. If Oldham had played the careful possession game pushing us back etc., Whitehouse and Hewitt may have found it easier to adjust but Oldham looked to break quickly down the flanks and moved the ball quickly.
As the Away team, we needed to establish a platform with longer spells of possession and move up the pitch as a unit. Our midfield is not suited to a more open, stretched game. Hence too many yellows!
Most teams we play have an organised press with several players working together. We tend to expect Hanson to gallop around unsupported like a shire horse who has caught the scent of the mare in the next field.
Playing Tues./Sat so much means careful management of resources. Could we see a start for Vernam tonight?
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 6:36pm