Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 11, 2019, 4:45pm
After leaving BP last night I knew that RH wouldn’t be offering any post match coverage as they decided some time ago that it wasn't worth their while staying on air any longer if they didn’t get any fan reaction after 10-00 PM

I realise that they can justify this with audience research figures etc. that would probably back up their decision

I’d have thought last night though they might have made an exception as I’m sure there’d have been plenty of material for them to cover

It is what it is I guess but I kind of expected a passing mention at least on Look North(bank) this morning or at lunchtime but nothing.

It’s almost as if they’ve made a deliberate decision not to mention us getting to the third round.

I can’t help wondering if it was any other local club if they’d have been so silent?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 11, 2019, 4:50pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
After leaving BP last night I knew that RH wouldn’t be offering any post match coverage as they decided some time ago that it wasn't worth their while staying on air any longer if they didn’t get any fan reaction after 10-00 PM

I realise that they can justify this with audience research figures etc. that would probably back up their decision

I’d have thought last night though they might have made an exception as I’m sure there’d have been plenty of material for them to cover

It is what it is I guess but I kind of expected a passing mention at least on Look North(bank) this morning or at lunchtime but nothing.

It’s almost as if they’ve made a deliberate decision not to mention us getting to the third round.

I can’t help wondering if it was any other local club if they’d have been so silent?

Well it is a two way street. It is very rare that Town fans ring in, and when you have the major shareholder ambushing their sports reporter at a fans forum, they are not going to do us any favours are they?
Posted by: chaos33, September 11, 2019, 5:53pm; Reply: 2
Truth is it’s not really of significance to the wider region is it so wouldn’t have expected look north to run it.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 11, 2019, 6:11pm; Reply: 3
Might want to watch Look North tonight...
Posted by: mimma, September 11, 2019, 6:13pm; Reply: 4
I have always thought this about RH. They still relegate us to digital over Scunny even though we get larger gates and are well placed.

Is the reason nobody phones in is because we are fed up of the Hull biase and turn off before we can be heard?

Few years ago we had thrashed someone on a Tuesday night. Driving home I was listening to RH.  Instead of praising Town they wanted fans to ring in and discuss why there was less than 4,000 at the game. It was the only negative they could come up with.

Driving home after another Tuesday game, Dull City had played on the Monday.  Us and Scunny had both played so a lot of the audience wanted to listen to our teams. They managed to replay the 15 minute Steve Bruce interview from the night before instead.

If they want Town fans to listen and ring in they should cater for them, stop the constant negativity, and stop ramming north bank sport on us when none of the north bank teams are playing. At the moment, it feels like they can't be bothered with the south bank.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 11, 2019, 7:31pm; Reply: 5
they gave us darn good coverage (broadcast games) during non league days IMO, often more than Scunny and at least equal to Hull, the fact "the club" has fallen out with both Matt Dean and Burnsy in recent years, shunned them and moved to Compost F.M for a while hardly makes the relationship amicable.
Could always drop back in with Compost F.M and remind ourselves what cr@p coverage really is.
Posted by: Hagrid, September 11, 2019, 7:34pm; Reply: 6
Lucky we get anything at all from RH after the disgusting abuse matt dean got
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 11, 2019, 7:48pm; Reply: 7

Well it is a two way street. It is very rare that Town fans ring in, and when you have the major shareholder ambushing their spots reporter at a fans forum, they are not going to do us any favours are they?

To be honest I’ve been on air a couple of times on their shows. They now have a policy of not allowing you to go on live if you’re driving, even on hands free, so as I’m usually going back along the 180 after a match, it rules out me discussing anything in depth, although they will take a message and air that if you get in early enough
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 11, 2019, 8:44pm; Reply: 8
I don't see why the number of people ringing in should make a difference to whether they provide coverage. The number of people who phone in isn't a reliable proxy for audience size. More people phoning up could just mean they're angrier, or happier than usual or just loadmouths.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 12, 2019, 8:24am; Reply: 9
But if there's not the people to ring in, which always seems to be something they're practically begging for post-match, there isn't an awful lot to talk about.  There's only so many times they can replay audio clips of the game.   It can take a while to get the interview with Jolley post-game too so it must be difficult providing up to an hour of filler.

As others have quite rightly pointed out too, how often can we expect the club to fall out with Humberside and they still promote us?  Most clubs recognise their local media outlets as free advertising and ways of engaging with the fanbase.  It feels like we view our outlets as an obligation.
Posted by: RichMariner, September 12, 2019, 9:31am; Reply: 10
Not knocking anyone at Compass FM but I think we can all agree that, after experiencing their coverage for a couple of years (or whatever it was), Radio Humberside's sports coverage is far, far superior. There are a lot of other clubs at out level who can only dream of getting the quality coverage we get from our local radio station.

I'm sure we all feel the coverage can be better in certain areas, as pointed out in the OP, but generally speaking there are some very proficient broadcasters working for Humberside and, personally speaking, I think we're extremely lucky to have someone as good as Matt Dean reporting for us. He does loads of extra stuff on social media.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 12, 2019, 9:38am; Reply: 11
Quoted from diehardmariner
But if there's not the people to ring in, which always seems to be something they're practically begging for post-match, there isn't an awful lot to talk about.  There's only so many times they can replay audio clips of the game.   It can take a while to get the interview with Jolley post-game too so it must be difficult providing up to an hour of filler.

As others have quite rightly pointed out too, how often can we expect the club to fall out with Humberside and they still promote us?  Most clubs recognise their local media outlets as free advertising and ways of engaging with the fanbase.  It feels like we view our outlets as an obligation.

What did they do to fill in time in the old days before broadcasters became obsessed with courting feedback? It’s not just Humberside but everyfrigging station. It’s just a poor excuse by RH.

The way the club has dealt with RH can’t have helped.
Posted by: LH, September 12, 2019, 9:48am; Reply: 12
People really need to hear other club’s local radio coverage if they think ours is bad - Radio Lincolnshire is borderline North Korea propaganda towards Lincoln.  Some counties will have an hours worth of midweek local sports coverage - we get an hour a night and up to 8 hours on a Saturday. You have to remember there are 5 professional clubs in the Humber region over two sports amongst other stuff like the Hull professional boxers, that biker from Scunthorpe and other stuff like snooker.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, September 12, 2019, 1:22pm; Reply: 13
Had WM on after Walsall match, other than a report they weren't mentioned again during the whole programme. Just the big clubs.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 12, 2019, 1:34pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from KingstonMariner

What did they do to fill in time in the old days before broadcasters became obsessed with courting feedback? It’s not just Humberside but everyfrigging station. It’s just a poor excuse by RH.

The way the club has dealt with RH can’t have helped.

I honestly can't remember but you're right, they must have done something.  I suppose in days gone by the round up of the national scene was more of a thing.  You got back to the car and finding out that Southend had beat Blackpool was of relative interest because it was new, now-a-days we all know the scores as and when they go in.  

My memories of Humberside on a Saturday of away games I couldn't go to as a young lad, I would be glued to the radio from well before kick-off until the broadcast ended.  But that was my football fix for the week.  In the age of 24-hour wall-to-wall coverage, maybe the feature programme is dead in the water.  What can they really talk about?
Posted by: mimma, September 12, 2019, 1:40pm; Reply: 15
I agree that radio Lincs is worst, in that they only have three clubs to cover, but only cover the wimps.  If it wants to call itself Radio Lincolnshire then it should cover ALL of Lincolnshire.  Otherwise change its name the South Lincolnshire and have done with it.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, September 12, 2019, 2:15pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from mimma
I agree that radio Lincs is worst, in that they only have three clubs to cover, but only cover the wimps.  If it wants to call itself Radio Lincolnshire then it should cover ALL of Lincolnshire.  Otherwise change its name the South Lincolnshire and have done with it.

Grimsby & Scunthorpe aren't in their catchment area. BBC Radio Lincolnshire's catchment area, since the stations launch in 1980, is the county of Lincolnshire of which neither Grimsby & Scunthorpe are apart of and haven't been since 1974.

Also, BBC Radio Lincolnshire offer regular coverage of many of the non-league clubs in the county such as Boston, Gainsborough, Grantham & Stamford.
Posted by: sam gy, September 12, 2019, 5:39pm; Reply: 17
Honestly, i find it hard to find a fault with the coverage at all. As an exile, I listen to RH from 2pm every Saturday if i'm at home (and on Tuesday nights if we're playing) and look forward to it. I feel like they do a really good job and to be honest, don't really notice any bias (match commentary aside where obviously i have to use iFollow).
Posted by: marinerjase, September 12, 2019, 5:46pm; Reply: 18
As DHM says the saturation of non stop coverage/access to clubs and events make it much different to years gone by. One thing I recall they used to do was encourage fan participation in the form of competitions to win tickets, such as Golden Goals, when Dave Gibbins fronted the programme. Think you had to guess total goals in the games of Hull, Town and Scunny and guess the last local goal scorer.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 12, 2019, 6:19pm; Reply: 19
G-G-G-G-G-G-GOLDEN GOALS
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 6:12pm