Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, September 11, 2019, 2:40pm
Luckily living in Grantham we can get a train there and back on the night, even though grandson does not finish school until 15.30.

16.08 to Kings Cross for 17.23  (Time for a '5Guys' before we head to the ground).
23.33 from Kings Cross  (This train calls at Peterborough, Newark & Doncaster if it help anyone in planning their journey).

Did conciser driving but It looks like a nightmare to park close, and parking in North London seems to take forever to get to ground on public transport.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 11, 2019, 2:41pm; Reply: 1
When are the tickets out?
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, September 11, 2019, 2:46pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
When are the tickets out?

Start selling to Season Ticket Holders Etc 9am Friday.........

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2019/september/provisional-carabao-cup-third-round-ticket-information/
Posted by: mariner83, September 11, 2019, 2:55pm; Reply: 3
How we get there, I don't know
How we get there, I don't care
Posted by: Son of Cod, September 11, 2019, 3:02pm; Reply: 4
If it's a nice evening I'm walking from work (Fitzrovia) at about 5.30/6pm with a four pack of tinnies. If anyone else is central and wants to join you're more than welcome.
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 11, 2019, 3:06pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from mariner83
How we get there, I don't know
How we get there, I don't care

I don't want to go to Chelsea.
Posted by: jaygy, September 11, 2019, 3:15pm; Reply: 6
Driving to uxbridge, tube into Earl’s Court and steady walk to the ground then tube back to the car and on to Devon for a few nights ready for Exeter away....unless anyone knows of a better way of doing it? I’m not really clued up on the tube tbh. What a week to have rota’d off work though!!
Posted by: LH, September 11, 2019, 3:17pm; Reply: 7
Don’t know yet. Due on shift at 7 the next morning so one in which I don’t have to do much so I can sleep off the celebratory beers after a shock routine win.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, September 11, 2019, 3:19pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Son of Cod
If it's a nice evening I'm walking from work (Fitzrovia) at about 5.30/6pm with a four pack of tinnies. If anyone else is central and wants to join you're more than welcome.

Think we should all join you as we march to the bridge!!

Bet thats a nice walk that from your work, do you cut through Hyde Park?
Posted by: Hagrid, September 11, 2019, 3:20pm; Reply: 9
got the Wednesday Thursday off work, train to London, tran back to Donny, hotel in Donny, train back to GY following day
Posted by: Son of Cod, September 11, 2019, 3:51pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

Think we should all join you as we march to the bridge!!

Bet thats a nice walk that from your work, do you cut through Hyde Park?

The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned!

And it does yeah, Google Maps tells me to just cut through right down in the South East the park near Hyde Park corner, but I think I'll take a detour over the bridge right through the middle of the whole park, which'll bring me out closer to South Kensington as opposed to Knightsbridge.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 11, 2019, 3:59pm; Reply: 11
I was originally going down to my brothers in Surrey on the Friday as we are then going down to Exeter but now I've managed to wangle 3 extra days off work, so now going down on the train on the Tuesday. Just have to take a hit on the train tickets I had for the Friday (Only £21 though so not bad).

Going to the Chelsea game on the Wednesday and staying over in a nearby hotel. Was looking at the hotel that's part of the Stamford Bridge complex when I noticed a twin room was only £108 per night. However on matchdays that same room becomes £258 per night!

Seems a bit daft then coming all the way back home on the Thursday and then going all the way back on the Friday so staying down there, going to Exeter for the game on the Saturday, staying over there Saturday night, back to brothers on the Sunday and then back home on the Monday.

The things we do for our team eh?
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 11, 2019, 4:25pm; Reply: 12
Not sure looking at similar trains to those Grantham Mariner identified with £80 return for me and the lad. Problem for me I am flying to Spain at 6.30am on the Thursday for a few days golf with the lads. Thought of no sleep before a few nights having the odd beverage is a bit daunting but as Les says things we do for the team we love 😄
Posted by: AussieMariner, September 11, 2019, 5:14pm; Reply: 13
Living in Leeds 5 mins from bus station so National Express
Return for 15 quid only problem is return coach leaves at 11.30 and gets in 5.25am
Never mind, a few beverages celebrating the draw and getting them back to the BP and should be able to get some kip on the way back
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 11, 2019, 5:24pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from AussieMariner
Return for 15 quid only problem is return coach leaves at 11.30 and gets in 5.25am
Never mind, a few beverages celebrating the draw and getting them back to the BP and should be able to get some kip on the way back

Penalties after 90 mins.

Posted by: Les Brechin, September 11, 2019, 5:26pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from AussieMariner

There are no replays. Ties straight to penalties after 90 minutes if level.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 11, 2019, 5:37pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Les Brechin

There are no replays. Ties straight to penalties after 90 minutes if level.

If only there was some sort of recent reference point ;)
Posted by: LondonMariner43, September 11, 2019, 5:41pm; Reply: 17
Going to walk down to Embankment after work and take tube to Fulham Broadway.

Going to be in the Chelsea seats as decided certainty of a ticket was best and have a mate who is a season ticket holder there.  Since my son is a Chelsea supporter, one of us will go home happy.  He is much more worried than me currently.
Posted by: AussieMariner, September 11, 2019, 5:45pm; Reply: 18
Oh yeah duhhh
And I was there last night
Ok I’ll celebrate our last minute victory instead
Posted by: JoeTheMariner, September 11, 2019, 5:55pm; Reply: 19
£15 megabus return from Manchester to Victoria station, leave at 11:40, arrive back in Manchester at 7am. 10+ hours, should be fun.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, September 11, 2019, 6:00pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Luckily living in Grantham we can get a train there and back on the night, even though grandson does not finish school until 15.30.

16.08 to Kings Cross for 17.23  (Time for a '5Guys' before we head to the ground).
23.33 from Kings Cross  (This train calls at Peterborough, Newark & Doncaster if it help anyone in planning their journey).

Did conciser driving but It looks like a nightmare to park close, and parking in North London seems to take forever to get to ground on public transport.

That's a coincidence. They are the exact same trains that I am on too.
Posted by: Gaffer58, September 11, 2019, 7:42pm; Reply: 21
Luxury limousine to the Dorchester Hotel for about 3pm, then on to the Ivy for afternoon tea, followed by a lift from Frank Lampard to the ground for around 6 ish. Then a drink and nibbles in the directors lounge with Mr Abromovich and Mr Fenty, then into a private box for the game. After the game, into the winning players changing room to congratulate Macca, Hess, Hanson and the rest of the squad. Later a taxi back to the hotel, get changed and head to the West End to take in a show, then back to the hotel for a good nights sleep, in the morning limousine back home to the caravan at Skegness ready for work the next day on the dustbins. Hey, everybody has a dream!!!
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 11, 2019, 8:48pm; Reply: 22
[quote=120818]Luxury limousine to the Dorchester Hotel for about 3pm, then on to the Ivy for afternoon tea, followed by a lift from Frank Lampard to the ground for around 6 ish. Then a drink and nibbles in the directors lounge with Mr Abromovich and Mr Fenty, then into a private box for the game. After the game, into the winning players changing room to congratulate Macca, Hess, Hanson and the rest of the squad. Later a taxi back to the hotel, get changed and head to the West End to take in a show, then back to the hotel for a good nights sleep, in the morning limousine back home to the caravan at Skegness ready for work the next day on the dustbins. Hey, everybody has a dream!!![/quote]
Or too much time on their hands?🤔🤔😂
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 11, 2019, 8:50pm; Reply: 23
Assuming I can get a ticket. Train in to Waterloo, meet up with the other KT Mariners, Couple in the Welly, then tube making sure the bladder is well and truly empty first.

That afternoon and the following morning off work so able to have some refreshments after we win on penalties.
Posted by: Todmorden Mariner, September 11, 2019, 9:03pm; Reply: 24
4 of us on Megabus from Leeds, cheap hotel and bus back Thursday. Only £40 for 4 on the bus.
Posted by: topuphere666, September 11, 2019, 9:49pm; Reply: 25
Probably on the same train as you G mariner
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, September 11, 2019, 10:04pm; Reply: 26
Anyone off from Grimsby?!?
Posted by: sydney, September 11, 2019, 10:11pm; Reply: 27
Cockfosters Tube to Earls Court
Then to Fulham Broadway
U can walk from Earls Court though about 25 mins
Posted by: Poojah, September 11, 2019, 10:31pm; Reply: 28
I’ll be working in London the day of the game and the day after so I’ll be staying over. Hotels not looking cheap mind, even by London standards.

Some pre-match co-ordination would be useful as there’s very little for away fans near Stamford Bridge other than the ground itself. My plan was to stop off at Earl’s Court (The Blackbird just outside the tube is a lovely old school London pub) but ideally on the basis of a GTFC takeover.

It’s as good a spot as any for anyone coming via Kings Cross on the train, but I imagine numbers might be limited due to issues getting home.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, September 11, 2019, 11:12pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from sydney
Cockfosters Tube to Earls Court
Then to Fulham Broadway
U can walk from Earls Court though about 25 mins

I’m gonna try do this, never used Cockfosters, is parking easy enough?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 11, 2019, 11:21pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Poojah
I’ll be working in London the day of the game and the day after so I’ll be staying over. Hotels not looking cheap mind, even by London standards.

Some pre-match co-ordination would be useful as there’s very little for away fans near Stamford Bridge other than the ground itself. My plan was to stop off at Earl’s Court (The Blackbird just outside the tube is a lovely old school London pub) but ideally on the basis of a GTFC takeover.

It’s as good a spot as any for anyone coming via Kings Cross on the train, but I imagine numbers might be limited due to issues getting home.

It looks nice (spacious, nice high ceilings, Fullers ales) and it looks walkable to Stamford Bridge. But it looks a bit too 'nice' for us lot  ;D
Posted by: Poojah, September 11, 2019, 11:22pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from KingstonMariner

It looks nice (spacious, nice high ceilings, Fullers ales) and it looks walkable to Stamford Bridge. But it looks a bit too 'nice' for us lot  ;D

It won’t do afterwards...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 11, 2019, 11:27pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Poojah

It won’t do afterwards...

That sounds like incitement. You'll be getting your collar felt young man.  ;)
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, September 11, 2019, 11:30pm; Reply: 33
Might take a Boris Bike from work in Shoreditch into central London for some dinner, then onto the District Line.  
Posted by: Rik e B, September 11, 2019, 11:31pm; Reply: 34
Nick Dale been commenting?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 11, 2019, 11:32pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
Might take a Boris Bike from work in Shoreditch into central London for some dinner, then onto the District Line.  

Why take a bike for dinner? Or is 'Boris Bike' rhyming slang?
Posted by: LH, September 11, 2019, 11:44pm; Reply: 36
If you’re going for dinner can we assume you’re having an afternoon off and having a pie at the match for your tea?
Posted by: bedders78, September 12, 2019, 8:41am; Reply: 37
Sneek the kids out of school at lunchtime, nightmare drive to Earl's Court Ibis where I've booked a space. Couple of cans of aldi red bull and home by 2am.
Posted by: Son of Cod, September 12, 2019, 9:17am; Reply: 38
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Why take a bike for dinner? Or is 'Boris Bike' rhyming slang?

Yep, 'Boris Bike from work' = promiscuous co-worker with Conservative voting tendencies
Posted by: FishFan101, September 12, 2019, 11:26am; Reply: 39
I always drive to Newark and get the train from there for London Games! Looking at AIRBNB options in Chelsea for staying - ticket dependent on all plans!
Posted by: bluerose13x, September 12, 2019, 11:59am; Reply: 40
Am lucky as it falls on my shifts off  from work. Giving driving a miss, fancy a drink, and coaches ain't for me anymore so train it is. Early train Gy to Donny, Donny to London on the 09.24 Hull Trains  :X :o :X :o service, London at 11.09. Full afternoon in London, couple of things/places I want to visit/do. Any suggestions on where to meet fellow GTFC fans early evening for a few refreshments would be a great help to this anti-social lone traveller. Hotels in London seem very expensive even for London standards, so 23.34 train from Kings Cross to Donny, cheap hotel , need vaccinations to stay in Donny, back to GY following morning/midday when I crawl outta hotel.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 12, 2019, 12:11pm; Reply: 41

It looks likely he will be on one of his own bikes by then.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 12, 2019, 12:15pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from bluerose13x
Am lucky as it falls on my shifts off  from work. Giving driving a miss, fancy a drink, and coaches ain't for me anymore so train it is. Early train Gy to Donny, Donny to London on the 09.24 Hull Trains :X :o :X :o service, London at 11.09. Full afternoon in London, couple of things/places I want to visit/do. Any suggestions on where to meet fellow GTFC fans early evening for a few refreshments would be a great help to this anti-social lone traveller. Hotels in London seem very expensive even for London standards, so 23.34 train from Kings Cross to Donny, cheap hotel , need vaccinations to stay in Donny, back to GY following morning/midday when I crawl outta hotel.

Do you remember the old advert, "risk it for a swisskit" knowing Hull Trains reliability you will likely end up with a biscuit.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 12, 2019, 3:27pm; Reply: 43

Be careful. The rails are electric
Posted by: Sweden, September 12, 2019, 4:16pm; Reply: 44
Train to Stockholm, bus to the Airport. Fly to London. Bus  or tub to the hotel Chelsea lodge. Walk to Stamford Bridge.
Posted by: Kristine, September 12, 2019, 4:59pm; Reply: 45
Get the kids out of school at lunchtime and drive down.  Pre-booked parking 5 minutes away from Stamford Bridge, means on the way back the kids can get to sleep quicker as they need to be at school the next day  ;D
Posted by: bluerose13x, September 12, 2019, 5:10pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from arryarryarry

Do you remember the old advert, "risk it for a swisskit" knowing Hull Trains reliability you will likely end up with a buscuit.

Your right of course mate. Change of plan on my part, onto a LNER train. Want to try out an AZUMA train anyway!
Posted by: Heisenberg, September 12, 2019, 6:11pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

I’m gonna try do this, never used Cockfosters, is parking easy enough?

Just turn up, park, and pay when you get back to the car on your way home. There’s sometimes a queue of people trying to pay there for parking but you pay on departure - your reg is recorded by camera when you arrive.

It’s a new system they put in a couple of years ago.
Posted by: sydney, September 12, 2019, 6:16pm; Reply: 48
Parking good (spaces most of the time)
Just a few quid as well
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 12, 2019, 9:39pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from bluerose13x
Am lucky as it falls on my shifts off  from work. Giving driving a miss, fancy a drink, and coaches ain't for me anymore so train it is. Early train Gy to Donny, Donny to London on the 09.24 Hull Trains  :X :o :X :o service, London at 11.09. Full afternoon in London, couple of things/places I want to visit/do. Any suggestions on where to meet fellow GTFC fans early evening for a few refreshments would be a great help to this anti-social lone traveller. Hotels in London seem very expensive even for London standards, so 23.34 train from Kings Cross to Donny, cheap hotel , need vaccinations to stay in Donny, back to GY following morning/midday when I crawl outta hotel.

Poojah's suggestion above sounds a decent place to start. The Tattershall Castle is a bit out of the way for this one, unless someone can commandeer it and sail upstream to Chelsea Harbour.
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 13, 2019, 9:59am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Anyone off from Grimsby?!?

Cleethorpes  :)

We're going with Soccer Express again from outside McDonald's, thought they were alright last time and not bad for £30 per person.

Posted by: Paris Mariner, September 13, 2019, 12:16pm; Reply: 51
I got return train tickets from Cardiff for £44 which I didn't think was too bad although I do have a railcard. I arrive 1pm and am meeting some mates for some dinner then I hope to visit a museum or exhibition before seeing a mate from back home to go on to the game with. He is a Chelsea fan. I am not an exile club member or season ticket holder so I am hoping I don't end up in London ticketless.
Posted by: TheultimateMariner, September 13, 2019, 12:25pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Kristine
Get the kids out of school at lunchtime and drive down.  Pre-booked parking 5 minutes away from Stamford Bridge, means on the way back the kids can get to sleep quicker as they need to be at school the next day  ;D

Where is this parking if you don't mind? And how much is it? I'm driving down, so want to get parked quite close to the ground, much appreciated.

Posted by: bedders78, September 13, 2019, 12:29pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from TheultimateMariner

Where is this parking if you don't mind? And how much is it? I'm driving down, so want to get parked quite close to the ground, much appreciated.

I've got a space at Earl's Court Ibis for £8.50

https://www.yourparkingspace.co.uk/locations/show/4294938862
Posted by: Rik e B, September 13, 2019, 4:22pm; Reply: 54
I'm driving a 17 seater minibus... Can't find any suitable parking to pre-book nearby and hear parking is hell for cars nevermind a big battle bus,  so can anybody more in the know recommend a course of action?

Was thinking dump it Cockfosters somewhere (no wide spaces in NCP) and tube from there. 🤔
Posted by: Rik e B, September 13, 2019, 4:23pm; Reply: 55
Just been in ticket office, over 2000 sold.
Posted by: Gaffer58, September 13, 2019, 5:21pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Gaffer58
Luxury limousine to the Dorchester Hotel for about 3pm, then on to the Ivy for afternoon tea, followed by a lift from Frank Lampard to the ground for around 6 ish. Then a drink and nibbles in the directors lounge with Mr Abromovich and Mr Fenty, then into a private box for the game. After the game, into the winning players changing room to congratulate Macca, Hess, Hanson and the rest of the squad. Later a taxi back to the hotel, get changed and head to the West End to take in a show, then back to the hotel for a good nights sleep, in the morning limousine back home to the caravan at Skegness ready for work the next day on the dustbins. Hey, everybody has a dream!!!

Just found  out that Frank Lampard has let me down so having to get the Ford Cortina MOTed.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, September 13, 2019, 5:48pm; Reply: 57
The Black Bird it is then.
Posted by: Heisenberg, September 13, 2019, 7:12pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Rik e B
I'm driving a 17 seater minibus... Can't find any suitable parking to pre-book nearby and hear parking is hell for cars nevermind a big battle bus,  so can anybody more in the know recommend a course of action?

Was thinking dump it Cockfosters somewhere (no wide spaces in NCP) and tube from there. 🤔

I have definitely parked at Olympia for non-football reasons before, I don’t think that’s too far-away ....
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 13, 2019, 7:20pm; Reply: 59
Coaches leaving at 1230 hours now to allow for any additional traffic delays.  I rang them at 1630 hrs today and was informed of new (earlier)  time.

ETA back I’s 0300 hours ( earlier if quicker getaway).
Posted by: Rik e B, September 13, 2019, 8:28pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Heisenberg

I have definitely parked at Olympia for non-football reasons before, I don’t think that’s too far-away ....

Thanks, looked into it all then found out car park usually shuts at 10pm 😔
Posted by: Heisenberg, September 13, 2019, 9:09pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Rik e B

Thanks, looked into it all then found out car park usually shuts at 10pm 😔

Ah, sorry about that. That didn’t affect me as I left it in there overnight!
Posted by: Rik e B, September 13, 2019, 9:57pm; Reply: 62
No probs, thanks anyway. Think gonna go with Cockfosters as it stands as I read there free street parking about the place.
Posted by: 28195 (Guest), September 14, 2019, 8:49am; Reply: 63
£32 return from Donny - in at 6 out at 11 back home for 2 UTM
Posted by: Civvy at last, September 14, 2019, 10:14am; Reply: 64
Quoted from Rik e B

I am informed by young Civvy ( who ironically  is now not a civvy)  That if there are a few of you  an Uber is cheaper than the Underground.

Disclaimer:  I accept absolutely no responsibility if that turns out to be total bollox !!
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, September 14, 2019, 10:16am; Reply: 65
Andover to Waterloo on the train, one adult and 3 sprogs, £34 return in 1st class.  absolute bargain!
Posted by: vinno69, September 14, 2019, 11:45am; Reply: 66
Anyone one stopping at Wembley premier Inn?
Posted by: Caveman, September 14, 2019, 1:06pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from vinno69
Anyone one stopping at Wembley premier Inn?

Bloody hell, we haven't even reached the semi yet.
Posted by: Rik e B, September 14, 2019, 1:40pm; Reply: 68
Thanks Civvy and no longer Civvy jnr., will look into that. Didn't realise it like an hour from Cockfosters on tube so if can get there before rush hour thinking of parking around Turnham Green Station where there apparently free street parking then on to Earls Court then Fulham Broadway.

But will look into Uber, not something ever used before 👍
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 14, 2019, 6:15pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Rik e B
Thanks Civvy and no longer Civvy jnr., will look into that. Didn't realise it like an hour from Cockfosters on tube so if can get there before rush hour thinking of parking around Turnham Green Station where there apparently free street parking then on to Earls Court then Fulham Broadway.

But will look into Uber, not something ever used before 👍

Downside of any car transport is you're at the mercy of London traffic. Could easily take you an hour in the evening if not more.

I really wouldn't bother driving in further than the northern/northwest suburbs.
Posted by: Rik e B, September 16, 2019, 3:55pm; Reply: 70
Right okay, was looking at Turnham Green Station as a closer option then a 20 minute tube ride not an hour, cheaper for everyone too. But like I said to my buddy, we'd need to be arriving in London well before rush hour as it grinds to a standstill.

Getting out at night won't be so bad.
Posted by: Yossarian, September 16, 2019, 9:42pm; Reply: 71
Leave the office opposite Cannon Street....20 mins on tube to Earls Court...pub.  i'll get practise my northern vowels on the way.  Bringing a Charlton fan with me because 'Grimsby fans are a bit mental' and he enjoys it
Posted by: Yossarian, September 16, 2019, 9:46pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Going to walk down to Embankment after work and take tube to Fulham Broadway.

Going to be in the Chelsea seats as decided certainty of a ticket was best and have a mate who is a season ticket holder there.  Since my son is a Chelsea supporter, one of us will go home happy.  He is much more worried than me currently.

I'm doing something similar - just hoping I can get Grimsby end tickets.  I think there will be a few of us pretending to speak like we came from darn sarf, innit
Posted by: chelseacity, September 16, 2019, 9:47pm; Reply: 73
Event     Venue Name     Date & Time     
Valencia CF - UEFA Champions League     Stamford Bridge     Tuesday, 17/9/19 8:00PM     Sold Out
Grimsby Town - Carabao Cup Round 3     Stamford Bridge     Wednesday, 25/9/19 7:45PM     Sold Out
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 16, 2019, 10:19pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from chelseacity
Event     Venue Name     Date & Time     
Valencia CF - UEFA Champions League     Stamford Bridge     Tuesday, 17/9/19 8:00PM     Sold Out
Grimsby Town - Carabao Cup Round 3     Stamford Bridge     Wednesday, 25/9/19 7:45PM     Sold Out

There are still some tickets available if Town fans can't get to Blundell Park. There are some at £144 then the rest at £594. ??)
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 10:33pm