Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 9, 2019, 10:42am
https://twitter.com/bet365/status/1170990042409558016
Posted by: psgmariner, September 9, 2019, 10:43am; Reply: 1
Great appointment for them and a nice wedge of cash for Lincoln. Hopefully this derails Lincoln season a bit so they stay down and we can beat them in the league next season!
Posted by: marinerdazza, September 9, 2019, 10:54am; Reply: 2
Their next appointment is going to be a hell of a decision for them.  
Posted by: Hagrid, September 9, 2019, 10:59am; Reply: 3
intercourse them. The club and the cowleys. Hopefully be in their rightful place again soon back to 2000 crowds
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, September 9, 2019, 11:01am; Reply: 4
Scunny struggling , Cowley leaving the imps , , , Town slowly on the up , , , , hows the mudrats doing??
Posted by: pizzzza, September 9, 2019, 12:01pm; Reply: 5
Was only a matter of time before he took another job. Would be a shame if he took all his backroom staff with him and cherry-picked Lincoln's best players when the next transfer window comes around  ;)
Posted by: malkamalka, September 9, 2019, 12:09pm; Reply: 6
[url]https://staceywest.net/2019/09/09/your-favourite-worst-nightmare-imps-set-to-lose-management-duo/[/url]

Posted by: malkamalka, September 9, 2019, 12:11pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from marinerdazza

Sol Campbell, Slade?  ;D ;D

Posted by: Ipswin, September 9, 2019, 12:14pm; Reply: 8
They'll 'do a Hurst'. Did well at L1 level (with Shrewsbury) then moved up to a struggling Championship club and just wasn't up to the job. A step too far same for these two.
Posted by: golfer, September 9, 2019, 12:19pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from marinerdazza

SIMPLE EQUATION         J - L  = H - G          FkHpNt
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, September 9, 2019, 12:22pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Ipswin
They'll 'do a Hurst'. Did well at L1 level (with Shrewsbury) then moved up to a struggling Championship club and just wasn't up to the job. A step too far same for these two.

He's been consistently superb for years now. I think he'll make the step up no problem.
Braintree: playoffs
Lincoln: champions, playoffs, champions, good start in League 1.
There can't be another lower league manager who gets anywhere near that.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 9, 2019, 12:43pm; Reply: 11
Now being coveted by BBC sport, reckon those web toed, 6 fingers cousins of ours will be in a state of shock tonight and....."stop crying your heart out"...šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Posted by: mariner91, September 9, 2019, 12:47pm; Reply: 12
I don't think they'll struggle, they're clearly a lot better at management than Hurst. If you look at how bad Lincoln were when they took over, sometimes getting gates below 2000 and finishing lower mid table in the NL, they turned them around in one season to become champions.

When Hurst took over, Town were in a bad way but not quite as bad as Lincoln were and in his first full season (admittedly with Shouty as well) he improved the finishing position a whopping 0 places. He never challenged for the title, let alone win it and that was with far more years and money to work with. Hurst was excellent at getting a good team spirit and getting the team to work hard and be organised but that was it really. He seems to have struggled with that as well since not having any of his favourite players signed. Tactically he was often out-thought by managers who had part-time players at their disposal and I can only remember one time where his substitutions or tactical changes played to our advantage (away to Aldershot when Bogle came on). I can remember lots of times when his substitutions did nothing or actively made us worse.
Posted by: LH, September 9, 2019, 12:54pm; Reply: 13
If weā€™d have lost to Braintree in the play-off semis then Hurst would have surely left the club and these two would have been ideal candidates to take over. Huddersfield are in a bit of a mess at the minute but there is plenty of time for them to steady the ship and turn them round next season. Theyā€™ll be fine.
Posted by: thevera, September 9, 2019, 12:54pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from malkamalka
[url]https://staceywest.net/2019/09/09/your-favourite-worst-nightmare-imps-set-to-lose-management-duo/[/url]

Why is there a photograph of Nigel Batch in the Stacy West banner?
Did he play for them?
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 9, 2019, 1:38pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from thevera

Why is there a photograph of Nigel Batch in the Stacy West banner?
Did he play for them?

Yes him and Bob Cumming played for them when they became the first team to be relegated from the Football League which I believe was 1985 but could have been the following year.
Posted by: cannylad68, September 9, 2019, 1:40pm; Reply: 16
Yes.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 9, 2019, 1:54pm; Reply: 17
Younger brother just been interviewed by the Lincoln club,

He said   "  sniff sniff   I don't know anything there is nothing I can tell you sniff sniff "   ;D
Posted by: Elgringo87, September 9, 2019, 1:58pm; Reply: 18
Most Lincoln fans arenā€™t to bothered about Danny leaving there more concerned with Nicky leaving too as heā€™s the ā€˜ real brains ā€˜ there first choice replacement Iā€™m hearing is Flynn from Newport
Posted by: pizzzza, September 9, 2019, 2:26pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Elgringo87
Most Lincoln fans arenā€™t to bothered about Danny leaving there more concerned with Nicky leaving too as heā€™s the ā€˜ real brains ā€˜ t

Give over.
Posted by: Ipswin, September 9, 2019, 2:44pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

He's been consistently superb for years now. I think he'll make the step up no problem.

He was an obnoxious twit two days ago suddenly he's 'superb'

Posted by: Les Brechin, September 9, 2019, 2:53pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Ipswin

He was an obnoxious twit two days ago suddenly he's 'superb'

Can you be a superb obnoxious twit?
Posted by: Meza, September 9, 2019, 3:17pm; Reply: 22
I'd go for Phil Parkinson.
Posted by: RichMariner, September 9, 2019, 3:21pm; Reply: 23
I never know what to think of managers 'moving up'. When we were looking to replace Hurst, I was happy that we appointed someone on the up, rather than someone on the slippery slope down.

But the less said about Bignot's tenure, the better.

I'm surprised Nathan Jones hasn't been a success at Stoke. He did such a good job at Luton. There seems to be a massive gap in standard between the Championship and League 1.

It's a bit of a lottery. Some managers only do well at one club (just look at how badly Buckley did at West Brom when given more resources than we ever could). Eddie Howe at Bournemouth (unsuccessful at Burnley).

Like previous posters have said, the Cowleys had relative success at different clubs before they joined Lincoln. Maybe Danny's skilled at transferring that wherever he goes ā€” not everyone is good at that.

On paper it looks like a sound appointment by Huddersfield. It's a step up for Cowley... it feels right, but in the same breath I wouldn't be surprised if they end up where Stoke are right now.
Posted by: Ipswin, September 9, 2019, 3:39pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Les Brechin

Ronaldo springs to mind but not the Cowleys

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 9, 2019, 3:48pm; Reply: 25
Done deal....haha...over to you Salsa!!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 9, 2019, 4:01pm; Reply: 26
Roy Hodgson has managed (successfully) around Europe, but struggled at Liverpool.  I wonā€™t mention England.
Posted by: forza ivano, September 9, 2019, 4:14pm; Reply: 27
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49634696

now confirmed. Michael Jolley now the 31st longest serving manager in the 92, and he's only been with us for 2.5 years!
Posted by: Heisenberg, September 9, 2019, 4:22pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from RichMariner
I never know what to think of managers 'moving up'. When we were looking to replace Hurst, I was happy that we appointed someone on the up, rather than someone on the slippery slope down.

But the less said about Bignot's tenure, the better.

I'm surprised Nathan Jones hasn't been a success at Stoke. He did such a good job at Luton. There seems to be a massive gap in standard between the Championship and League 1.

It's a bit of a lottery. Some managers only do well at one club (just look at how badly Buckley did at West Brom when given more resources than we ever could). Eddie Howe at Bournemouth (unsuccessful at Burnley).

Like previous posters have said, the Cowleys had relative success at different clubs before they joined Lincoln. Maybe Danny's skilled at transferring that wherever he goes ā€” not everyone is good at that.

On paper it looks like a sound appointment by Huddersfield. It's a step up for Cowley... it feels right, but in the same breath I wouldn't be surprised if they end up where Stoke are right now.

I agree with a lot of this.  Jones should never have left Luton, and I thought so at the time.  Luton are on the up, Stoke are in decline.  It's completely feasible that we'll look at Luton as being a bigger club than Stoke in the not-too-distant future.

As for Lincoln, they're a club that they've had incredible success at, and it's success that their fans have never had before, so they've flocked in numbers.  You have to give them huge credit for this.  However, Huddersfield are a Championship club, yes, but they now have ideas of grandeur, just like Stoke do.  They've now both been replaced in the Premier League and neither are being missed - they could easily 'do a Leeds' and never return.

I personally don't see Lincoln-to-Huddersfield as being a seismic leap at all.  I think it's a mistake, but we shall see.  It's not like Huddersfield is one of those "when they come knocking, you can't say 'no'" type of clubs.
Posted by: marinerdazza, September 9, 2019, 4:34pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Heisenberg

I personally don't see Lincoln-to-Huddersfield as being a seismic leap at all.  I think it's a mistake, but we shall see.  It's not like Huddersfield is one of those "when they come knocking, you can't say 'no'" type of clubs.

I think the parachute payments and the fact Huddersfield kept to a strict budget in the Prem may have a lot to do with it.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 9, 2019, 4:34pm; Reply: 30
I quoted last week that Huddersfield had reportedly offered a salary of Ā£1.5m per annum as opposed to Ā£140k at Lincoln, that is pretty life changing especially if itā€™s a 3 year contract. Given that offer not surprised they have moved on but a little surprised at the destination always thought Ipswich or Norwich would be where they ended up.

Hopefully, the replacement will get things back to normal and my visits to the pub will not be accompanied by constant banter on the mighty Imps.
Posted by: Heisenberg, September 9, 2019, 4:35pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from marinerdazza

I think the parachute payments and the fact Huddersfield kept to a strict budget in the Prem may have a lot to do with it.

Good point, but they can't do anything with that money until January.  That's a long way away........
Posted by: Maringer, September 9, 2019, 4:47pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Heisenberg

It's not like Huddersfield is one of those "when they come knocking, you can't say 'no'" type of clubs.

If they are paying you enough to set you up for life, then saying yes might be a good idea, regardless of the likelihood of success in the longer-term.

Huddersfield will have a heck of a wodge of money coming from their parachute payments so they ought to have a shout of becoming promotion contenders in the longer term. If the Cowleys can drag them up into mid-table this season, they ought to have a good bit to spend in comparison to many other clubs. Certainly an order of magnitude (or two) more than they've had in the past.
Posted by: Superdan147, September 9, 2019, 5:17pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from forza ivano
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49634696

now confirmed. Michael Jolley now the 31st longest serving manager in the 92, and he's only been with us for 2.5 years!

Not quite, heā€™s only been with us 18 months.  
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 9, 2019, 5:42pm; Reply: 34
I won't  miss all "The Cowley's this and the Cowley's that" stuff to be fair and reckon they'll do well at Huddersfield, well enough to take them back to the Prem? Who know's? but they'll have a bundle of parachute money to have a good go.

I don't watch the Championship much but it looks a world away from The NL, L2 and L1.

As for the Gimps I'd be looking at Adkins if he's not working already.    
Posted by: Heisenberg, September 9, 2019, 6:02pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
I quoted last week that Huddersfield had reportedly offered a salary of Ā£1.5m per annum as opposed to Ā£140k at Lincoln, that is pretty life changing especially if itā€™s a 3 year contract. Given that offer not surprised they have moved on but a little surprised at the destination always thought Ipswich or Norwich would be where they ended up.

Hopefully, the replacement will get things back to normal and my visits to the pub will not be accompanied by constant banter on the mighty Imps.

Well, no more explanation needed. That really is a no brainier, weā€™d all do it.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 9, 2019, 6:05pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I won't  miss all "The Cowley's this and the Cowley's that" stuff to be fair and reckon they'll do well at Huddersfield, well enough to take them back to the Prem? Who know's? but they'll have a bundle of parachute money to have a good go.

I don't watch the Championship much but it looks a world away from The NL, L2 and L1.

As for the Gimps I'd be looking at Adkins if he's not working already.    

To be fair n square, for as much as I was sick to the back teeth of Gimps going on about the Cowley's, the brothers grim have done a cracking job at getting Lincoln, as a club, to where they are now, but if they cannot adapt to a completely different level of pressure and expectancy they'll be in the mire and regretting leaving in no time...
As for Adkins, wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in at Lincoln, but wondering if he'd drop to league 1..
Posted by: forza ivano, September 9, 2019, 6:30pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Superdan147

Not quite, heā€™s only been with us 18 months.  

Bloody fat fingers! Terrible indictment though that he's likely to be in the top 30 longest serving managers well before he's even completed 2 years with us
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 9, 2019, 6:36pm; Reply: 38
What's Newell up to these days
Posted by: pizzzza, September 9, 2019, 6:51pm; Reply: 39
[url]https://www.thesackrace.com/teams/lincoln-city[/url]

Ainsworth favourite to replace them....
*gulp* Michael Jolley 33-1

Yes, I know these odds mean pretty much f-all at this stage....
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 9, 2019, 6:54pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Marinerz93

It's a shame Slade got fixed up recently, he would have been a good fit at Lincoln   ;)

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 9, 2019, 7:00pm; Reply: 41
I think Ainsworth would be a decent replacement and he out thought the Cowleys tactically on Saturday Iā€™m told so could be a real possibility. Imp fans on social media seem slightly miffed and surprised the brothers have  gone to Huddersfield just for money and clearly it is for the money because if it wasnā€™t why didnā€™t they go to Wednesday a far bigger club
Posted by: Abdul19, September 9, 2019, 7:03pm; Reply: 42
Did they turn Wednesday down?
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 9, 2019, 7:04pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Abdul19
Did they turn Wednesday down?

Cowley said there was no contact from Wednesday.

Posted by: rancido, September 9, 2019, 7:30pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Les Brechin

You can if you are an oxymoron !
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 9, 2019, 7:39pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from promotion plaice

Cowley said there was no contact from Wednesday.

He also said he wouldnā€™t leave the job half way through šŸ˜‚  looks to me heā€™s played Wednesday and Huddersfield off against each other to achieve his wage ambition
Posted by: rancido, September 9, 2019, 7:42pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from 3605[b
]I quoted last week that Huddersfield had reportedly offered a salary of Ā£1.5m per annum as opposed to Ā£140k at Lincoln,[/b] that is pretty life changing especially if itā€™s a 3 year contract. Given that offer not surprised they have moved on but a little surprised at the destination always thought Ipswich or Norwich would be where they ended up.

That is surely a win-win situation for them. I'm sure their contract length will be a minimum of two years but more likely three. If they succeed there then fine but if it goes mammarys up then they will get paid off up until the end of their contract. Having proved themselves in League 2 and showing a promising start in League 1 then if they find themselves looking for a club 2 years down the line I'm sure there will be plenty of offers. Love them or hate them they have proved that they can be successful. Russell " Nearly Man" Slade never had a proper " success in his career but still managed to find a club and probably built up a nice bank balance in the process.
Posted by: rancido, September 9, 2019, 7:49pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Marinerz93

Propping up a bar somewhere and helping to increase the sales of all these new trendy gins!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 9, 2019, 8:00pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

To be fair n square, for as much as I was sick to the back teeth of Gimps going on about the Cowley's, the brothers grim have done a cracking job at getting Lincoln, as a club, to where they are now, but if they cannot adapt to a completely different level of pressure and expectancy they'll be in the mire and regretting leaving in no time...
As for Adkins, wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in at Lincoln, but wondering if he'd drop to league 1..

Agree but I guess it's about what "the project" (as the popular term) is now at Sincil Bank Lincoln have one thing the Targers owners don't and that's ambition..    

I saw the top 3 with the bookies are Ainsworth, Flynn and Parkinson. Of that 3 I'd suggest Parkinson as the other two are in the fabric of their respective clubs. Who knows and in reality who cares?
Posted by: moosey_club, September 9, 2019, 8:07pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from pizzzza
[url]https://www.thesackrace.com/teams/lincoln-city[/url]

Ainsworth favourite to replace them....
*gulp* Michael Jolley 33-1

Yes, I know these odds mean pretty much f-all at this stage....

the tactics we are playing with this season Jolley would slip right into Lincoln's generally adopted methods.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 9, 2019, 8:10pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agree but I guess it's about what "the project" (as the popular term) is now at Sincil Bank Lincoln have one thing the Targers owners don't and that's ambition..    

I saw the top 3 with the bookies are Ainsworth, Flynn and Parkinson. Of that 3 I'd suggest Parkinson as the other two are in the fabric of their respective clubs. Who knows and in reality who cares?

In all honesty I give a t@ss about other clubs, my hatred was for the brothers and not Lincoln per se...
I'm very much a 1 club man and care only for GTFC...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 9, 2019, 9:35pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Done deal....haha...over to you Salsa!!

Salsa. Salsa? Where are you?
Posted by: chaos33, September 9, 2019, 9:37pm; Reply: 52
I hope Lincoln and Huddersfield both do well out of this.
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 9, 2019, 9:57pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Salsa. Salsa? Where are you?

Looks like he's done a "Monkey hanger"   ;)

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 9, 2019, 10:28pm; Reply: 54
It could be a poisoned chalice. According to some reports he rejected Wednesday because he wanted control over transfers and turned down Huddersfield at first for the same reason. They have had a Director of Football for the past few years starting with Wagner now at Norwich. So they have had a head coach not a manager and Cowley wants the full Brian Clough control. They got the parachute money but it isnā€™t a fortune and I think they have lost some good players. They have also been known for buying in unknown foreigners which will be an unknown market for Cowley.
Posted by: Maringer, September 9, 2019, 10:50pm; Reply: 55
They got the parachute money but it isnā€™t a fortune

Huddersfield will get Ā£90 million in payments over the next 3 seasons. If that's not a fortune, I don't know what is. In comparison, Leeds (the biggest club in the Championship at present) will be on around Ā£5 million in 'solidarity payments'.
Posted by: Rik e B, September 9, 2019, 10:51pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Heisenberg

Well, no more explanation needed. That really is a no brainier, weā€™d all do it.

Indeed, to multiply your wage by more than 10 is just not something to be sniffed at. Unless you maybe Doig.
Posted by: sydney, September 9, 2019, 11:00pm; Reply: 57
Long as Lincoln Drop
Like a stone now and the natural order of things is restored
Come on Town!!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 10, 2019, 12:19pm; Reply: 58
This could benefit us quite nicely if the rumours about MJ and Cowley meeting in the summer are true.

MJ has proven that he likes to give young players a chance so we could see some Huddersfield youngsters heading in this direction.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 10, 2019, 12:37pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from jamesgtfc
This could benefit us quite nicely if the rumours about MJ and Cowley meeting in the summer are true.

MJ has proven that he likes to give young players a chance so we could see some Huddersfield youngsters heading in this direction.

I hope when MJ  leaves us it will be to at least a championship club.

It will mean he will have  a promotion on his CV.
Posted by: RichMariner, September 10, 2019, 1:02pm; Reply: 60
Hmm, I've been thinking about this more and thought of something else we might be glossing over.

The Cowleys have, up until now, been working with grounded individuals. Think of what they did at Braintree. They had very little money and motivated part-timers to balance football with real world jobs to finish above us in the Conference.

I know Lincoln were full time when they joined but, even so, the same applies. Footballers at that level won't be earning much, and can't retire on their wealth.

I appreciate that the players they've brought in since being a League 2 side (and now League 1) are an increase in standard, but still, I'd say the majority of them have been playing around this level for a while.

Basically, there are no superstars.

Now, Cowley's going into a club that was last season in the Prem. They might not be world class players but they're still a cut above. I doubt there are many down-to-earth footballers at Huddersfield in terms of them knowing what life's like outside of the bubble.

Cowley might be able to get the very best out of limited footballers, motivating them with tactics, ambition, punching above their weight, etc. Now, he's got to pick up a load of players who are probably on very healthy salaries, possibly overpaid and probably not motivated by much other than Ā£Ā£Ā£.

I'm not saying he's destined to fail, but it's a totally different challenge (and environment) to what he's known before.
Posted by: chrissy, September 10, 2019, 1:41pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from RichMariner
Hmm, I've been thinking about this more and thought of something else we might be glossing over.

The Cowleys have, up until now, been working with grounded individuals. Think of what they did at Braintree. They had very little money and motivated part-timers to balance football with real world jobs to finish above us in the Conference.

I know Lincoln were full time when they joined but, even so, the same applies. Footballers at that level won't be earning much, and can't retire on their wealth.

I appreciate that the players they've brought in since being a League 2 side (and now League 1) are an increase in standard, but still, I'd say the majority of them have been playing around this level for a while.

Now, Cowley's going into a club that was last season in the Prem. They might not be world class players but they're still a cut above. I doubt there are many down-to-earth footballers at Huddersfield in terms of them knowing what life's like outside of the bubble.

Cowley might be able to get the very best out of limited footballers, motivating them with tactics, ambition, punching above their weight, etc. Now, he's got to pick up a load of players who are probably on very healthy salaries, possibly overpaid and probably not motivated by much other than Ā£Ā£Ā£.

I'm not saying he's destined to fail, but it's a totally different challenge (and environment) to what he's known before.

Some very good points there I would think thats why Hurst was not successful at Ipswich,
Don't ask me why it is not working at Scunthorpe.

Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 10, 2019, 2:24pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from RichMariner

I would imagine players like Bostwick, Frecklington and Shackell will have served him well as they will have earned a handsome sum; particularly in the case of Shackell. That said, he's probably going from being the top earner or one of the top earners to managing a first team squad earning more than him. That in itself turns the hierarchy upside down.

Be interesting to see if he can command their respect and what he does if he can't. He was teaching PE alongside management less than 5 years ago. That in itself will provide a huge barrier in winning over that dressing room.
Posted by: Helgy, September 10, 2019, 2:43pm; Reply: 63
Knew they would go it was plain to see as soon as they went on about budgets earlier in the season, not a shock to me.
Taking over a club that's struggling isn't ideal & the step up is massive.
Ainsworth said he was surprised by the step up to L1& it caught him out, so i'd imagine the step up to the Championship is why so many up and coming managers have been found out.
Our board will get the right man in and its something they have been preparing for ever since they arrived.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 10, 2019, 3:35pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from RichMariner

This is what I meant earlier about Huddersfield recruitment policies. Most of the players are valued in the Ā£2m to Ā£5m bracket with one or two above that though the most is about Ā£13m. From Cowleyā€™s perspective you make some good points Rich. He has not been in charge of players worth even that much before. He will also need to spend in January to turn things round.

Huddersfield have abandoned their previous policy for buying players, the one that got them promoted. So Cowley has a free hand but he has no experience of scouting or agents at this level either. I think this was one of the reasons for Hurst failing at Ipswich. The only players he could recruit were cast offs or ones he knew like Tojo and the fans soon realised he was out of his depth. The same applies to Jones at Stoke.

New managers need time but even time is no help if they have no contacts abroad or at high levels in the PL/EFL.

Posted by: Mariner Timsky, September 10, 2019, 3:40pm; Reply: 65
Good ol' Tojo  ;) :P ;D
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 10, 2019, 3:49pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Helgy
Knew they would go it was plain to see as soon as they went on about budgets earlier in the season, not a shock to me.
Ainsworth said he was surprised by the step up to L1& it caught him out, so i'd imagine the step up to the Championship is why so many up and coming managers have been found out.
Our board will get the right man in and its something they have been preparing for ever since they arrived.

A bit like Paul Hurst, although I must say that he's doing a fantastic job at Scunny now/.  ;)
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 10, 2019, 4:48pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Helgy

A bit like our board  ;D  they only give out 6 month contracts so they are always looking for the next man.

Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 10, 2019, 5:17pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Helgy

Lincoln are clearly very well run and Clive Nateā€™s appears a smart cookie however, as probably every professional football club in the country has found selecting the right manager is not as easy as probably most us fans believe it should be.
Nearly 50 years ago we  had Lawrie McMenemy in charge who built up the same rapport with town fans as the Cowleys have achieved at Lincoln and it took us a few goes before we got a decent replacement. As an aside we replaced Lawrie with Ron Ashman who was at the time managing Scunthorpe so be good if Lincoln follows the precedent and appoint Agent Hurst, nothing like a safe pair of hands šŸ˜„šŸ˜©
Posted by: Helgy, September 10, 2019, 5:34pm; Reply: 69
Its a big no for Agent Hurst he already deep into his mission in guiding Scunny down the same path as Chesterfield with a back to back relegation.
Posted by: RonMariner, September 10, 2019, 7:11pm; Reply: 70
Going to be a tough act to follow. They have delivered three trophies in three years.  If the Imps do well this season fans will put it all down to the Cowley's, if not the new boss will be branded a failure.

Smart move by the Cowleys to jump ship now, before Lincoln have had chance to have a serious dip. They leave with a pretty unblemished record. They might well end up back there if things don't work out for them at Huddersfield.
Posted by: RonMariner, September 10, 2019, 7:14pm; Reply: 71
Still think it's an odd appointment though. Huddersfield were in the Prem for the last two seasons and now they are managed by a pair that have managed less than a dozen games in L1, and a couple of seasons in L2.. I know they have a very good record in L2 and the Conference, but it still looks like a huge step up in class for them.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 10, 2019, 7:15pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from Helgy
Its a big no for Agent Hurst he already deep into his mission in guiding Scunny down the same path as Chesterfield with a back to back relegation.

Who would you prefer Helgy?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 10, 2019, 8:06pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Good ol' Tojo  ;) :P ;D

Nah, it was Tojo's rash attitude that led Japan into premature war against America. Should have listened to Yamamoto.  ;)
Posted by: Helgy, September 11, 2019, 11:44am; Reply: 74
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Who would you prefer Helgy?

Ainsworth ticks all the boxes for me ,was a legend here as a player & still well respected. We need to get over the ghost of the Cowley's happens to every club after a successful spell, Ipswich is like a memorial to Bobby Robson they absolutely live in the past in that respect honour the past but still don't live it.
Cowley's have lost 5 out of the past 6 games & go to a team in freefall 1 point all season ,it's toxic there and if results don't go their way straight away the pressure will be on.
Think although its set them up for life ,career wise its a massive gamble.
Posted by: Posh Harry, September 11, 2019, 12:27pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from Helgy

Ainsworth ticks all the boxes for me ,was a legend here as a player & still well respected. We need to get over the ghost of the Cowley's happens to every club after a successful spell, Ipswich is like a memorial to Bobby Robson they absolutely live in the past in that respect honour the past but still don't live it.
Cowley's have lost 5 out of the past 6 games & go to a team in freefall 1 point all season ,it's toxic there and if results don't go their way straight away the pressure will be on.

And if Wycombe still play the same way they did when we last played them he will be looking to get Matt Rhead back. Complete hoofball merchants, very anti ā€˜footballā€™. I thought Lincoln were now tippy tappy!?
Posted by: thefish, September 11, 2019, 12:29pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Helgy

However, if it goes wrong for them then by just being sacked they'd be set up financially for life! On top of that, they'd walk back into a League 2 job (see Paul Hurst)!

Although, I do appreciate that money isn't everything...
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 11, 2019, 12:40pm; Reply: 77
If this move do we sent work out, I think their record to date gives them another 2 decent opportunities before they join the merry go round.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 11, 2019, 5:13pm; Reply: 78
I know we have nearly talked this one to death but here's Gregor Robertson's take on the move. It is interesting as well because Town and Hurst get a mention.

Sorry I can't link to a subscription site so it's a long paste job.

The rise of Danny Cowley, the new Huddersfield Town manager, and his brother and assistant Nicky, began in the Essex Senior League at Concord Rangers, who they ascended three tiers to the National League South with meagre resources. They led Braintree Town to the National League play-off semi-finals in 2016, taking the Grimsby Town team this columnist played for to extra time in the second leg with a group of players assembled on a quarter of our playing budget, armed with remarkable team spirit, organisation and endeavour.

They led Lincoln City to the National League and League Two titles and the clubā€™s first visit to Wembley, where they lifted the EFL trophy, in 2018. A city was inspired by that remarkable voyage to the FA Cup quarter-final in 2017, which also gripped the nation. Crowds at Sincil Bank trebled.

In the last couple of years they resisted overtures from Ipswich Town, Nottingham Forest, West Bromwich Albion, Hull City and Sheffield Wednesday. But on Tuesday they finally agreed to take the next step in their burgeoning careers with Huddersfield, relegated from the Premier League last season, without a win in 17 games in all competitions and dumped out of the Carabao Cup last month by, erm, Lincoln.

So why now? The reasons for a manager wishing to test himself at a higher level are usually not that hard to decipher. Danny Cowley said at his unveiling on Tuesday that he didnā€™t want to ā€œdie wonderingā€. He has been given assurances about control over recruitment. And of course the financial rewards will be enormous for two men who were PE teachers at FitzWimarc school in Essex until little more than three years ago.

You would have to look pretty hard to find anyone who doesnā€™t think Huddersfield have made an astute appointment. But the same has been said for numerous predecessors and such moves for a lower-league manager by Championship clubs remain relatively rare.

As history shows, successfully bridging the gulf is no mean feat. Only three Championship clubs other than Huddersfield have managers or head coaches who joined from lower league clubs. The most recent was Grant McCann, the former Doncaster Rovers manager, who was poached by Hull City in the summer. While it is too early to gauge his chances on Humberside, Hull reside in 20th place with five points from their opening six games.

Nathan Jones, the highly rated former Luton Town manager, was lured away by Stoke City in January. In three seasons at Kenilworth Road the Welshman had lifted the club from the lower reaches of League Two to the verge of the Championship, scoring 301 goals in 170 games in the process, and leaving with the best win rate of any manager in Lutonā€™s history. Stoke, however, are winless and languishing at the foot of the table and Jones will need to find his fourth league win since arriving at the club pretty soon.

The third is Lee Johnson, the Bristol City manager, who left Barnsley for Ashton Gate in 2016. He has endured fallow periods when the pressure has spiked, but a rare patience has proved well-founded and City, fifth in the Championship, are looking forward with optimism.

Dean Smith, the Aston Villa manager, who left Walsall for Brentford in 2015, was similarly blessed with an employer with long-term vision, but few lower-league managers are that fortunate. Looking further back over the past decade, there have been many more misses than hits. The tenures of Russell Slade (Leyton Orient to Cardiff City, 2014), Uwe Rosler (Brentford to Wigan, 2013), Dean Saunders (Doncaster to Wolves, 2013), Keith Hill (Rochdale to Barnsley, 2011) and Darren Ferguson (Peterborough to Preston, 2010) were shorter than two seasons and none are remembered particularly fondly.

Perhaps the closest parallel to the Cowleys, though, is Paul Hurst who, before his arrival at Ipswich Town last summer, also cut his teeth in non-League and in 2018 very nearly led Shrewsbury Town to League One promotion with one of the smallest budgets in the division. Defeat by Rotherham United in the League One play-off final in his first full season in Shropshire followed promotions with Grimsby Town, Boston United and Ilkeston Town during a decade-long journey towards a shot at the second tier. Hurst was sacked after just 14 games and the Ipswich crashed out of the Championship with a whimper last season.

Hurst, like Jones at Stoke, found a dissonant dressing room and the challenge of galvanising a group of millionaires smarting from relegation or exclusion from the team may not be as straightforward as engaging the naughty school children the Cowleys once taught and compared footballers to in Tuesdayā€™s press conference.

Gary Rowett (Burton Albion to Birmingham City, 2014) has proved himself a capable manager at Championship level but would almost certainly agree. Since his spells in charge of Derby County and Stoke City, two clubs with hefty resources, expectation levels and egos within their ranks, the 45-year-old has spoken about life being easier when money was tight and the job simply about improving your players on the training ground.

The truth is that the most common route to success, and longevity, as a manager in the Championship is leading a club there yourself. Neil Harris, the Millwall manager, took the club up via the League One play-offs in 2017. Paul Cook, the Wigan manager who cut his teeth with Accrington Stanley, Chesterfield and Portsmouth, won automatic League One promotion with the Latics in 2018. Likewise, Lee Bowyer, the Charlton Athletic manager, won last seasonā€™s League One play-offs and is unbeaten in second this term.

Of course, Chris Wilder, the Sheffield United manager, went further still, taking Sheffield United from League One to the Premier League in the space of three seasons. Paul Lambert did the same at Norwich City with back-to-back promotions between 2009 and 2011.

Ascending to the second tier, though, with a team you built and your standing at a club firmly entrenched, is a very different dynamic. The Cowleys had that at Lincoln City, presently fifth in League One, where promotion this season was a realistic ambition.

Who knows, perhaps they will soon come to wonder if the grass was really greener?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 11, 2019, 9:56pm; Reply: 79
Good article. Thanks for posting it RRFC.

The fact you're taking money out of the Times is a bonus!
Posted by: Helgy, September 12, 2019, 10:45am; Reply: 80
Yes Lincolnā€™s style has evolved but so has Wycombe L1 is a big step up , liked the article above think itā€™s quite accurate.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 12, 2019, 10:50am; Reply: 81
It struck me that there are parallels here with Buckley and with Kerr.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 12, 2019, 10:54pm; Reply: 82
As far as I know, Wycombe haven't got a pot to urine in so Ainsworth has done a good job. Clearly got some ability. And he laughs off being asked 'where's your caravan?'  ;D

So he'll be a good appointment for Lincoln.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 12, 2019, 11:39pm; Reply: 83
As far as I know, Wycombe haven't got a pot to urine in so Ainsworth has done a good job. Clearly got some ability. And he laughs off being asked 'where's your caravan?'  ;D

Married to a Lincoln girl as well so strong favourite I would say.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 13, 2019, 12:57am; Reply: 84

Ah, the Ben Davies Hypothesis.  :)
Posted by: Civvy at last, September 13, 2019, 3:27am; Reply: 85

I didnā€™t realise he had a sister from Lincoln !!   ;)
Posted by: Helgy, September 13, 2019, 4:34pm; Reply: 86

They have an interested  Yank investor coming in their trust runs the club are in talks with him,  think Ainsworth is trying to up the ante get the investment in or I am off .
That said its the same bloke who tried to take over Yeovil he walked just before he had to do the ELF FAP test
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 13, 2019, 10:02pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from Helgy

They have an interested  Yank investor coming in their trust runs the club are in talks with him,  think Ainsworth is trying to up the ante get the investment in or I am off .
That said its the same bloke who tried to take over Yeovil he walked just before he had to do the ELF FAP test

Dodgy Dave the ex-con, one-armed window cleaner could pass the EFL FAP test.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 14, 2019, 10:25am; Reply: 88

I wondered why my front bay had gone opaque.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 14, 2019, 10:30am; Reply: 89

I wondered why my front bay had gone opaque.

And why your pension pot was empty  ;)
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 15, 2019, 1:53pm; Reply: 90

Cowley's first game in charge, a 2-0 home defeat to Sheffield Wednesday and could easily have been more.

Huddersfield sounded poor, Cowley's got a big job on there.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 15, 2019, 1:59pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from promotion plaice

Cowley's first game in charge, a 2-0 home defeat to Sheffield Wednesday and could easily have been more.

Huddersfield sounded poor, Cowley's got a big job on there.

He will find it a bit difficult with only 5 year olds to choose from.

Posted by: Fishy clapper, September 15, 2019, 2:06pm; Reply: 92

I use to be a ringer outter for a one armed window cleaner
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, September 18, 2019, 12:01am; Reply: 93
Didn't take long did it...

...to get back to Lincoln away followings more typical of the last 40 years, 451 Imps fans at Rochdale tonight...
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 18, 2019, 12:17am; Reply: 94
Huddersfield got Ā£90 Million plus for geting relegated.  Plenty for the Cowley's to use.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, September 18, 2019, 12:49am; Reply: 95
450 isn't bad
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 2:24pm