Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 3, 2019, 7:45pm

No harm in having a match thread surely, doesn't harm the boycott.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 3, 2019, 7:53pm; Reply: 1
https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1168943045540233216?s=19

Seen this described as a youth team, which is pushing it quite a bit (for the first 11 at least), but good to see so many changes.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), September 3, 2019, 7:55pm; Reply: 2
Anyone else think Buckley talks too much?
Posted by: buckstown, September 3, 2019, 7:55pm; Reply: 3
5 of Saturday's team starting for Scunts
Posted by: Gaffer58, September 3, 2019, 7:56pm; Reply: 4
Well that's buggered up my goal scorer prediction!
Posted by: GollyGTFC, September 3, 2019, 7:57pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from buckstown
5 of Saturday's team starting for Scunts

I think there is a rule to that effect. I think we're accepting a fine with our team selection.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 3, 2019, 8:01pm; Reply: 6
9-1 to GTFC in the boycott match (nice mention by JT)
Posted by: GollyGTFC, September 3, 2019, 8:08pm; Reply: 7
Just checked the rule and you are supposed to select 4 "qualifying" outfield players.

Quoted Text
7.4 Qualifying Player means any Player who:

7.4.1 had started the immediately preceding First Team Fixture (as defined below);

7.4.2 subsequently starts the immediately following First Team Fixture;

7.4.3 is in the list of ten Players at the Club with the highest number of starting appearances in First Team Fixtures in the same Season;

7.4.4 has made forty or more starting appearances in First Team Fixtures or international equivalents (and not limited to the same Club or Season); or

7.4.5 is on standard loan from a Premier League Club or any EFL Club operating a Category One Academy.

7.4.1 - Hewitt
7.4.4 - Ring
7.4.5 - Gibson & Robson

I think that makes up the 4.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 3, 2019, 8:14pm; Reply: 8
0-1 van Veen
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 3, 2019, 8:14pm; Reply: 9
0-1 to the caravan dwellers

Meh
Posted by: bedders78, September 3, 2019, 8:15pm; Reply: 10
Didn't realise the qualifying players criteria were so lax
Posted by: golfer, September 3, 2019, 8:15pm; Reply: 11
Stupid foul by Starbuck,Freekick straight in, Russell rooted to the spot
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 3, 2019, 8:18pm; Reply: 12

GTFC reserves 0-1 Scunts
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 3, 2019, 8:22pm; Reply: 13
Don't think many of starters tonight will make the league team...Hewitt is about the only 1...we sound woeful judging by the commentary
Posted by: chaos33, September 3, 2019, 8:26pm; Reply: 14
This is Van Veen who Hurst basically said doesn’t feature in his plans
Posted by: LH, September 3, 2019, 8:29pm; Reply: 15
I would say I’ll worry about us going a goal down in the league fixture vs this lot but going a goal down just gets us in the mood it seems.
Posted by: HistonMariner, September 3, 2019, 8:35pm; Reply: 16

We give you a start,
                                                                  We give you a start,
                                                                  We’re Grimsby Town,
                                                                  We give you a start.

UTMM
Posted by: lukeo, September 3, 2019, 8:36pm; Reply: 17
Who scored for Internet mariners aand how did thhe might go?

I assume that is what this thread is for?
Posted by: golfer, September 3, 2019, 8:36pm; Reply: 18
2 very poor teams in first half. 2 missed sitters by Vernham and Cardwell Rose not in it. Have seen tankers with a smaller turning circle than Cardwell. Hope we don't get injuries in the first team
Posted by: monkeyboy, September 3, 2019, 8:39pm; Reply: 19
Just watched 10 minutes on ifollow. Scunts  brought a lot of fans, tossers.
Town looking very disjointed but then looks like they are playing a very strong team against our kids.
Posted by: psgmariner, September 3, 2019, 8:47pm; Reply: 20
9-1 to the internet mariners and money raised for a good cause. Well done to all involved from both sides.
Posted by: denni266, September 3, 2019, 8:49pm; Reply: 21
It was a decent start for the Mariners, although they just seem to lack a bit of the cutting edge that they’ve shown so far in the league. from James findlater telegraph... Has he not noticed that this is no where near the town first choice but just a made up team of bit part players and juniors
Posted by: Abdul19, September 3, 2019, 8:52pm; Reply: 22
1-1 CARDWELL!!!!!!!111
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 3, 2019, 8:52pm; Reply: 23
Cardwell scores

Still meh
Posted by: buckstown, September 3, 2019, 8:53pm; Reply: 24
I assume he didn't need to turn before scoring?
Posted by: buckstown, September 3, 2019, 8:56pm; Reply: 25
1100 town and 200 Scunny
Amazed there's that many
Posted by: Hagrid, September 3, 2019, 8:57pm; Reply: 26
He hit the bar from 2 yards and was very lucky that it came back too him.
Posted by: mariner tommy, September 3, 2019, 9:00pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Hagrid
He hit the bar from 2 yards and was very lucky that it came back too him.

It was Rose who hit the bar
Posted by: Hagrid, September 3, 2019, 9:02pm; Reply: 28
Sorry so it was! Sorry Harry😩😂
Posted by: marinernige, September 3, 2019, 9:03pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from buckstown
1100 town and 200 Scunny
Amazed there's that many

A disappointingly high crowd.
Posted by: lee65, September 3, 2019, 9:03pm; Reply: 30
Watching on ifollow, Robson with some nice touches, Wright lively.  Gibson looking fitter than the Donny game and a useful back up.
Plenty of effort from all Town team

As said on previous threads, our 2nd string are much stronger than in the last couple of seasons.
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, September 3, 2019, 9:04pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from buckstown
1100 town and 200 Scunny
Amazed there's that many

Official attendance is 1302 with 202 of them
Posted by: lee65, September 3, 2019, 9:06pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Hagrid
Sorry so it was! Sorry Harry😩😂

No, Rose with tame shot, spilled by the keeper, Cardwell following in hit the bar from about a yard and headed it in as it dropped back down  :)
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 3, 2019, 9:07pm; Reply: 33

Going on the amount of guests there is on The Fishy at the moment it looks like a few Scunts are on here tonight.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 3, 2019, 9:07pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

Official attendance is 1302 with 202 of them

That's embarrassingly large
Posted by: Abdul19, September 3, 2019, 9:09pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from lee65

No, Rose with tame shot, spilled by the keeper, Cardwell following in hit the bar from about a yard and headed it in as it dropped back down  :)

Cleverly giving himself the assist as well ;)
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 3, 2019, 9:12pm; Reply: 36
Like many teams, playing the reserves/youth player, this just confirms why the players selected for the first team - are selected.  They are better.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 3, 2019, 9:12pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from buckstown
1100 town and 200 Scunny
Amazed Ashamed there's that many

;)
Posted by: Heisenberg, September 3, 2019, 9:13pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Abdul19

Cleverly giving himself the assist as well ;)

When did we sign HIM?! Can’t believe he once got an England cap.....
Posted by: Hagrid, September 3, 2019, 9:13pm; Reply: 39
Is it straight to penalties if finishes 1-1?
Posted by: CodHead, September 3, 2019, 9:14pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Hagrid
Is it straight to penalties if finishes 1-1?

Yes
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 3, 2019, 9:15pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from marinernige

A disappointingly high crowd.

Some might need taxi back to Scunny if your free?
Posted by: Gaffer58, September 3, 2019, 9:17pm; Reply: 42
So as the league make up any crowd shortfall, how is this calculated, if this was the league game then there would be a minimum of 7k there, so are the league going to make up the difference?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 3, 2019, 9:19pm; Reply: 43
Van der valk scores

Criminal

Meh
Posted by: AdamHaddock, September 3, 2019, 9:19pm; Reply: 44
1-2
Van veens
Posted by: Abdul19, September 3, 2019, 9:28pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Gaffer58
So as the league make up any crowd shortfall, how is this calculated, if this was the league game then there would be a minimum of 7k there, so are the league going to make up the difference?

They make up the costs
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 3, 2019, 9:29pm; Reply: 46
Hopefully that means we’ll be out sooner . Makes me feel sick we have to even take part in this competition. Disgustingly high crowd
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 3, 2019, 9:32pm; Reply: 47
Like many teams, playing the reserves/youth player, this just confirms why the players selected for the first team - are selected.  They are better.
Posted by: Teestogreen, September 3, 2019, 9:35pm; Reply: 48
Got to say - with this team selection - winning not a priority - Pollock skipper and other youngsters involved - good stuff.

UTM
Posted by: CodHead, September 3, 2019, 9:40pm; Reply: 49
Sugar
The gypos will be bragging
Posted by: monkeyboy, September 3, 2019, 9:43pm; Reply: 50
The kids did ok against largely a first team scunny. Let’s face it van vean is probably paid more than than 50% of our starting 11.
Let them crow about it for a while while we wait till we give them a kicking in the league.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 3, 2019, 9:44pm; Reply: 51
Somehow don't think Jolley is taking this competition serious🤭🤭
Posted by: moosey_club, September 3, 2019, 9:45pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Teestogreen
Got to say - with this team selection - winning not a priority - Pollock skipper and other youngsters involved - good stuff.

UTM

Jolley should have given this one game a proper go, local bragging rights and a chance to heap misery on divisional rivals should have been taken and given the first team a run.

Still a shitty competition but don't like giving Scunny anything at all.

Posted by: GollyGTFC, September 3, 2019, 9:48pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from moosey_club

Jolley should have given this one game a proper go, local bragging rights and a chance to heap misery on divisional rivals should have been taken and given the first team a run.

Still a shitty competition but don't like giving Scunny anything at all.

No, we’re hopefully playing the next 3 midweeks. This game was a good opportunity to rest the important players. I’m guessing Hewitt will be rested against Macc Town.

Posted by: oochiad, September 3, 2019, 9:53pm; Reply: 54
Rest needed for our first choices. Absolutely the right selection in my eyes. Who cares about this stupid cup and if any Scunt supporter thinks they got one over us then more fool them. UTM!
Posted by: hheh2, September 3, 2019, 10:03pm; Reply: 55
Good training exercise, 17 year old captain and Scunny only won by a goal. They're copulated.
Posted by: mariner tommy, September 3, 2019, 10:11pm; Reply: 56
I just don’t care about this stupid competition, as long as we beat them twice in the league I’ll be very happy.
Let them have their moment in the sun.
Posted by: Poojah, September 3, 2019, 10:16pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from hheh2
Good training exercise, 17 year old captain and Scunny only won by a goal. They're copulated.

I see your 17 year old captain and raise you:

- 10 changes from Saturday’s starting line-up
- a semi-retired goalkeeper
- 8 starters aged 22 or under
- 3 professional debuts

Watching the game on ifollow I thought an inexperienced Town side held up well against far more senior opposition. If Scunny intend to find any significance in their victory tonight, I fear they’re in real trouble.

Posted by: Grimbiggs, September 3, 2019, 11:46pm; Reply: 58
This was a golden opportunity for the likes of Cardwell, Wright , Vernam and Rose, and overall they were all very poor, none of them look like challenging for a first team start...as for the youngsters Starbuck grow into the game, and looks promising...a game nobody really cared about, but it's kick-started Scunny's season...UTM
Posted by: Kris2, September 4, 2019, 12:17am; Reply: 59
Quoted from Grimbiggs
...a game nobody really cared about, but it's kick-started Scunny's season...UTM

Until they lose their next league game. Hurst is just happy that their fans will be off his back for a few days because they managed to beat the reserves and kids.
Posted by: Rik e B, September 4, 2019, 2:58am; Reply: 60
Bragging rights? Kick started Scunnys season? No, it's a nothing game in a nothing competition. Let Scunnys worry about Scunnys while we rotate our squad playing Saturday Tuesday Saturday Tuesday for the foreseeable saving our best players for the games that matter.

If I had to endure the lame banter of a Scunt bestowing his bragging rights at work tomorrow I'd simply laugh in his face.
Posted by: golfer, September 4, 2019, 6:22am; Reply: 61
Quoted from Grimbiggs
This was a golden opportunity for the likes of Cardwell, Wright , Vernam and Rose, and overall they were all very poor, none of them look like challenging for a first team start...as for the youngsters Starbuck grow into the game, and looks promising...a game nobody really cared about, but it's kick-started Scunny's season...UTM

Agree. These 4 were very poor and considering that they are on the fringe of the first team left me very disappointed. From what I saw on the night Vernham and Cardwell don't see what's going on around them. Rose clearly wasn't fit and seemed injured after every tackle and Wright was knocked off the ball too easily. Don't think anything positive was gained from this game-it could have been used in a completely different way but instead was a complete waste of time.
Posted by: lukeo, September 4, 2019, 6:57am; Reply: 62
It wasn't a waste of time at all. It gave the main 11 a rest. Simple as that. It also gave MJ a chance to see the others and it also have 5 graduates a chance to grace the pitch.
Posted by: scrumble, September 4, 2019, 7:16am; Reply: 63
I've been on the scunts Facebook page to have a chuckle at them over reacting to last night's result. Christ, you'd think they'd win league.

That aside, the funniest thing is they're all going on about having a UTI. God knows what they've all been doing to have Urinary Tract Infections, I can only assume its to do with everyone taking the urine out of them.
Posted by: golfer, September 4, 2019, 7:45am; Reply: 64
Quoted from lukeo
It wasn't a waste of time at all. It gave the main 11 a rest. Simple as that. It also gave MJ a chance to see the others and it also have 5 graduates a chance to grace the pitch.

So you are for this competition then ?
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 4, 2019, 11:11am; Reply: 65
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Just checked the rule and you are supposed to select 4 "qualifying" outfield players.

7.4.1 - Hewitt
7.4.4 - Ring
7.4.5 - Gibson & Robson

I think that makes up the 4.

Would Ring's games in Sweden count towards forty?    I think Russell will count for that criteria though.

Either way, good to see Jolley treating the competition as nothing more than an opportunity to give fringe players/young lads a run out but no real concern for the result.

Posted by: Madeleymariner, September 4, 2019, 12:30pm; Reply: 66
Having watched that last night, got say I cant see Vernam or Cardwell having much of a career in league football. I can pass and finish better than both of them. Ring and Pollock played well and Starbuck did OK for a youngster. The rest were ok but I suppose if nearly everyone around you is also inexperienced at first team level or unfit its harder for them all.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 4, 2019, 1:15pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from golfer

Agree. These 4 were very poor and considering that they are on the fringe of the first team left me very disappointed. From what I saw on the night Vernham and Cardwell don't see what's going on around them. Rose clearly wasn't fit and seemed injured after every tackle and Wright was knocked off the ball too easily. Don't think anything positive was gained from this game-it could have been used in a completely different way but instead was a complete waste of time.

Just returning from being out injured..... maybe both physically and psychologically he wasn't ever going to be a major influencer last night

Posted by: Les Brechin, September 4, 2019, 1:31pm; Reply: 68
What sort of reception did PH get last night?
Posted by: Croxton, September 4, 2019, 1:47pm; Reply: 69
If the extended highlights were the best moments the edited bits must have been dross. Context is key and I would not judge too much from what was a cross between a preseason friendly and a training session. They might as well have played in bibs. I listened to the commentary but that sounded like a matey RH session at Docks Beers. Some of Tom Newey's contributions were useful as he knows both clubs. Just a sideshow.
Posted by: Hagrid, September 4, 2019, 1:51pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Les Brechin

seen some photos of him with dave moore, anne the photographer and fans in main stand, seems he was well received
Posted by: Brazilnut, September 4, 2019, 3:42pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from Rik e B
Bragging rights? Kick started Scunnys season? No, it's a nothing game in a nothing competition. Let Scunnys worry about Scunnys while we rotate our squad playing Saturday Tuesday Saturday Tuesday for the foreseeable saving our best players for the games that matter.

If I had to endure the lame banter of a Scunt bestowing his bragging rights at work tomorrow I'd simply laugh in his face.

Walked into work this morning to a Scunny fan saying loudly how they beats us ..........just said we let you win so you didn't sack Agent Hurst .......soon shut him up
Posted by: Tommy, September 4, 2019, 4:41pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from Croxton
If the extended highlights were the best moments the edited bits must have been dross. Context is key and I would not judge too much from what was a cross between a preseason friendly and a training session. They might as well have played in bibs. I listened to the commentary but that sounded like a matey RH session at Docks Beers. Some of Tom Newey's contributions were useful as he knows both clubs. Just a sideshow.

I thought the same. Thought he offered a bit more technical and tactical input to the commentary team.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 4, 2019, 5:53pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Les Brechin

A sherry on arrival, followed by a buffet ( no chicken wings though... too risky!  ;) ) and to finish, coffee and a selection of fancies   :P
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 8:46am