Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 25, 2019, 9:35am
I know we're very early into the new season but I think what we're seeing is that the management have changed the team in two major ways.

First, in terms of recruitment, they have made us more of a threat and less soft-centred. In the past, we would have certainly lost on Tuesday and possibly yesterday too. We also have members of the squad that can cover various positions and, whilst I don't agree with square pegs in round holes per se, players like Hendrie, Cook and Hewitt are vital in small squads.

Secondly, we seem more adaptable. There were clearly changes at half-time yesterday as there were on Tuesday night. Let's hope they can use our current form to attract the couple of players they're still looking to recruit.
Posted by: Nutsy, August 25, 2019, 9:38am; Reply: 1
Spot on except Cook is playing in a far more natural role in the centre in my opinion he looked more of a threat yesterday than up front or when he was on the wing. Similarly with Hewitt and Hendrie, both are first team RBs. But Hendrie is a better LB than Ring.
Posted by: rancido, August 25, 2019, 9:45am; Reply: 2
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I know we're very early into the new season but I think what we're seeing is that the management have changed the team in two major ways.

First, in terms of recruitment, they have made us more of a threat and less soft-centred. In the past, we would have certainly lost on Tuesday and possibly yesterday too. We also have members of the squad that can cover various positions and, whilst I don't agree with square pegs in round holes per se, players like Hendrie, Cook and Hewitt are vital in small squads.

Secondly, we seem more adaptable. There were clearly changes at half-time yesterday as there were on Tuesday night. Let's hope they can use our current form to attract the couple of players they're still looking to recruit.

MJ is learning all the time ( as I'm sure any decent young manager should ) and last season gave him a complete insight into what is required to produce a successful Div 2 team. He has learnt from this and along with AL is putting this knowledge to practical use. We may not be the finished article yet but all the signs are that we will progress under his management.
Also, as has been pointed out, we have  a more adaptable squad. There are many combinations of style/format within the squad and indeed the modern game is very much a " squad game ".  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 25, 2019, 9:50am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Nutsy
Spot on except Cook is playing in a far more natural role in the centre in my opinion he looked more of a threat yesterday than up front or when he was on the wing. Similarly with Hewitt and Hendrie, both are first team RBs. But Hendrie is a better LB than Ring.

My point being that Cook probably prefers yesterday's role but could also play Green or Ogbu's role. Having a small squad means that instead of having two for every position, we have second choices who play other positions. If Hendrie, for example, played any position across the defence or as a holding central midfielder I wouldn't have a problem.
Posted by: Rik e B, August 25, 2019, 10:20am; Reply: 4
I'm glad we stuck by the management team when some of the less patient were getting a bit tetchy. Great to see they learning on the job too in such a technical manner and addressing issues that need sorting.

Also a mention for Jordan Cook, also nice to see he does indeed have an important role to play in the squad and another option for doing things a bit differently - but not weaker/less effective.

As for the versatile members of the squad, vital for a team with a budget that stretched; say we spunked big money (wages wise) on Hanson and Green, that might leave us lacking elsewhere somewhat and the utility players can fill in the gaps.

Or perhaps we just couldn't get all the players we wanted over the line so these guys can help plug the gaps till such a time we got two strong options in each position.

Extremely handy in times of a spate of injuries or suspensions too, or simply to help give tired first teamers a little break here and there.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 25, 2019, 10:23am; Reply: 5
The manager has now understood that success in this league means you have to win the physical battles first. His signings at the back and the front have been strong and good in the air and hard to bully off the ball. The second requirement is pace and he has signed that on the field with Ogbu for instance plus he has Wright on the bench. I think putting Cook in midfield may be the extra edge the side needed though.
Posted by: Davec, August 25, 2019, 10:56am; Reply: 6
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The final bit about attracting new players is spot on, our decent early season start would surely make us more attractive to quality players who for whatever reason find themselves surplus to requirements at their current clubs? Surely such players would rather sign for a club who seems to be on the up rather than a club who is looking over their shoulders at this stage.
Posted by: Rik e B, August 25, 2019, 11:14am; Reply: 7
You would think so, and let's hope so. Yes Cook slotting into that creative attacking player slot we been crying out for well. I'd still add to the squad there if possible though.
Posted by: GrimRob, August 25, 2019, 1:06pm; Reply: 8
For once the summer signings have actually worked, made sense and improved upon what was already there. It's no coincidence that we actually kept most of last season's team and have built on it. Having to start from scratch every year squad wise is a big ask for anyone. One really good signing could really make us competitive in this division. The P-word is maybe a couple of years off but we're definitely heading in the right direction.
Posted by: golfer, August 25, 2019, 1:22pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Old Codger-I can't believe you are actually giving J.S.F. some praise for allowing the new players to be signed. Well done Codger.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 25, 2019, 1:40pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from golfer

Old Codger-I can't believe you are actually giving J.S.F. some praise for allowing the new players to be signed. Well done Codger.

I am going to bite here.

There's a million and one posts/threads that are littered with various opinions about Mr Fenty. This thread was meant to be purely about football but in your own pathetic way, you had to go back to type.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 25, 2019, 1:53pm; Reply: 11
This is not a side that is going to have a lot of possession or knock the ball around like Spain. This side will be built on a solid defence and breaks with pace and accurate passing. Interesting Askey said we only had 5 chances. That was rubbish. Sometimes the manager of a team that has a lot of possession thinks they ran the game but Buckley's sides were never possession teams, neither were Clough's. But they won a lot. The most successful Town sides have been built this way.
Posted by: golfer, August 25, 2019, 3:34pm; Reply: 12
Codger-you bit.  8)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 25, 2019, 7:46pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from golfer
Codger-you bit.  8)

You make my point 🤨
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 25, 2019, 8:29pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Agree and we’ve got the blend of experience and youth right IMHO. MJ said 3 windows and he’s being true to his word so far within the confines of our playing budget versus income.

I guess you could say the squad is not deep enough but give me L2 quality versus quantity any day.

Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 25, 2019, 9:05pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agree and we’ve got the blend of experience and youth right IMHO. MJ said 3 windows and he’s being true to his word so far within the confines of our playing budget versus income.

I guess you could say the squad is not deep enough but give me L2 quality versus quantity any day.

That lack of depth has been made up for with the versatility in a number of players (Hewitt, Hendrie, Cook)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 25, 2019, 9:49pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Question is how well the next one goes (I know this one isn't over yet).

Will we be able to retain our good players? Will we be able to bring in anyone who adds to the squad without disrupting things. If that window goes well......well.... :)
Posted by: Rik e B, August 25, 2019, 9:51pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from jamesgtfc

That lack of depth has been made up for with the versatility in a number of players (Hewitt, Hendrie, Cook)

And youngsters stepping up to the plate.
Posted by: sydney, August 25, 2019, 10:16pm; Reply: 18
We Seem together
We seem to “want it”
Come on Town!!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 25, 2019, 10:38pm; Reply: 19
Jolley has learnt from last season what is needed to succeed n this division.

There is a parallel with Bielsa at Leeds.  He has changed the team from last season (top players have been sold).  They are flying now.

Both teams are also top scorers in their divisions.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 25, 2019, 11:14pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from sydney
We Seem together
We seem to “want it”
Come on Town!!

Needs 4 more syllables for a proper Haiku, but keep up the good work!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 25, 2019, 11:15pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

There is a parallel with Bielsa at Leeds.  He has changed the team from last season (top players have been sold).  They are flying now.

But who gives a excrement about Leeds?
Posted by: Posh Harry, August 25, 2019, 11:28pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Bielsa is well known for flogging his team pre season and also in early season. That is why his teams mainly fall away towards the end of the season, like Leeds did last year, because they are absolutely knackered.

Doesn’t mean it will happen the same this season but I certainly don’t see any parallels
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 25, 2019, 11:40pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Posh Harry

Bielsa is well known for flogging his team pre season and also in early season. That is why his teams mainly fall away towards the end of the season, like Leeds did last year, because they are absolutely knackered.

Doesn’t mean it will happen the same this season but I certainly don’t see any parallels

Is that why this happens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcHro6CD12A
Posted by: Abdul19, August 26, 2019, 3:26pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Posh Harry

Neither do I. They have the same amount of points after 5 games as they had a year ago!
Posted by: golfer, August 26, 2019, 4:30pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Question is how well the next one goes (I know this one isn't over yet).

Will we be able to retain our good players? Will we be able to bring in anyone who adds to the squad without disrupting things. If that window goes well......well.... :)

Have confidence my friend-the squad has got it now after Saturday. I am suddenly very confident.
Posted by: golfer, August 26, 2019, 4:36pm; Reply: 26

Needs 4 more syllables for a proper Haiku, but keep up the good work!

" I'm a Poet "
   "And I know it "        How's that then ?  P.S.   You are not KOBAYASHI  ISSA by any chance.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 26, 2019, 6:33pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from golfer

" I'm a Poet "
   "And I know it "        How's that then ?  P.S.   You are not KOBAYASHI  ISSA by any chance.

I’m more Nationwide ISA Golfer San
Posted by: chaos33, August 26, 2019, 8:04pm; Reply: 28

What are those sheff weds fans singing?
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, August 27, 2019, 8:04am; Reply: 29
Leeds , Leeds are falling apart again

To the tune of Joy Division’s Love Will Tear us Apart
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 11:47pm