Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 24, 2019, 5:43pm
Hursty has said Hammill has played his last game for the club after his reaction to being substituted on Tuesday and is available for loan or permanent move.

Would it be worth making a move? Good player with a decent pedigree, might be able to add a different dimension to our squad/team and location, you wouldn't imagine being an issue.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, August 24, 2019, 5:59pm; Reply: 1
I'd make a cheeky bid. Suspect his wages might be a tad high though
Posted by: hheh2, August 24, 2019, 6:12pm; Reply: 2
Worth a loan at least, he is a good player when in a good team, probably the last piece of the puzzle for us.
Posted by: tarka, August 24, 2019, 6:13pm; Reply: 3
He started off at Liverpool...gradually worked his way down the leagues and now is not wanted by the team at the bottom of League 2. In 2012 he assaulted 2 female paramedics after they came to assist him when he was drunk in a nightclub. However talented he is I think I would pass on that one.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, August 24, 2019, 6:17pm; Reply: 4
He's clearly not the character we want in our dressing room, so it's a no from me.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 24, 2019, 6:19pm; Reply: 5
To be fair to Hurst he is a good judge of character. Characters make or break team spirit.

We have a good team spirit and the players are running through brick walls for each other. If Hurst thinks he's not a team player, I'm inclined to believe him.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 24, 2019, 6:25pm; Reply: 6
Obviously disruptive there acted like a proper Muppet last week. Flat out no for me, he's the last thing we need.
Posted by: Heisenberg, August 24, 2019, 6:29pm; Reply: 7
He’s not been the same since he had that car crash before they started filming The Empire Strikes Back.
Posted by: Kris2, August 24, 2019, 6:48pm; Reply: 8
Bringing in somebody that has an attitude problem isn't what we need right now. We're developing some good team spirit and bringing in that sort of player could cause problems. Talent is fine and all but we should be looking to a similar pool of professionals and younger ambitious players looking for a chance to show what they can do.

I'd expect him to move to one of the moneybags non league teams that are popping up for the dosh and to keep having incidents like this. Some players have the talent but not the mindset to play at a pro level.
Posted by: toontown, August 24, 2019, 7:06pm; Reply: 9
Unusually I fully agree with Kris, spot on
Posted by: Davec, August 24, 2019, 7:07pm; Reply: 10
What did he do
Posted by: Abdul19, August 24, 2019, 7:31pm; Reply: 11
Sounds like a Mike Newell signing
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 24, 2019, 7:32pm; Reply: 12
No thanks,
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, August 24, 2019, 8:13pm; Reply: 13
Talented but trouble
Posted by: marinerdazza, August 24, 2019, 8:18pm; Reply: 14
He sounds like a helmet.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 24, 2019, 9:06pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Kris2
Bringing in somebody that has an attitude problem isn't what we need right now. We're developing some good team spirit and bringing in that sort of player could cause problems. Talent is fine and all but we should be looking to a similar pool of professionals and younger ambitious players looking for a chance to show what they can do.

I'd expect him to move to one of the moneybags non league teams that are popping up for the dosh and to keep having incidents like this. Some players have the talent but not the mindset to play at a pro level.

Agreed

To make it they need both their aptitude along with the right attitude

Posted by: RichMariner, August 24, 2019, 9:22pm; Reply: 16
I think he's a bad apple.

A few years back I went with a Huddersfield-supporting mate to watch the Terriers play Barnsley in a pre-season game at Oakwell. Hammill scored a hat-trick - including an outrageous overhead kick - so I've been surprised that he never kicked on.

I remember when Hurst got rid of Scott Nielsen and Aswad Thomas. Without doubt they were two of our most talented and skilful players in the squad at that time, but without them we went on and won promotion with a team of grafters (possibly underselling Nolan, who clearly had bags of talent).
Posted by: Rik e B, August 24, 2019, 9:25pm; Reply: 17
No. One thing I certainly trust Hurst on is judgement of character.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 24, 2019, 9:56pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from RichMariner

A few years back I went with a Huddersfield-supporting mate to watch the Terriers play Barnsley in a pre-season game at Oakwell. Hammill scored a hat-trick - including an outrageous overhead kick - so I've been surprised that he never kicked on.

I remember when Hurst got rid of Scott Nielsen and Aswad Thomas. Without doubt they were two of our most talented and skilful players in the squad at that time, but without them we went on and won promotion with a team of grafters (possibly underselling Nolan, who clearly had bags of talent).

He was always quick to remove bad influences and that probably improved the team spirit no end.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 24, 2019, 10:22pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from RichMariner

Agree
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 25, 2019, 4:22am; Reply: 20
Quoted from jamesgtfc

To be fair to Hurst he is a good judge of character. Characters make or break team spirit.

Richard Brodie????
Posted by: Abdul19, August 25, 2019, 7:26am; Reply: 21
That was nearly 7 years ago and he sent the illegitimate back (early)
Posted by: chaos33, August 25, 2019, 8:23am; Reply: 22
Brodie was Scott’s pick
Posted by: Rik e B, August 25, 2019, 9:52am; Reply: 23
Hurst (and Scott) no doubt knew he was a risk but took a punt on him. They learnt their lesson and from that point on doubled down on his/their insistence incoming player's were of a good character.
Posted by: Rik e B, August 25, 2019, 9:53am; Reply: 24
I'm getting flashbacks of Shaun Pearson nearly chinning Brodie...
Posted by: cannylad68, August 25, 2019, 10:28am; Reply: 25
I'm led to believe Scunthorpe are paying good wages at the moment.
£3, £4 thousand a week.
Posted by: Heisenberg, August 25, 2019, 12:59pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from cannylad68
£3, £4 thousand a week.

The next Bury?
Posted by: Stew0_0, August 25, 2019, 2:33pm; Reply: 27
Expect Hammill to end up at Salford
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 25, 2019, 3:07pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from jamesgtfc

He was always quick to remove bad influences and that probably improved the team spirit no end.

There are two sides to that James. The top players tend to have at least a fair bit of arrogance if not attitude, which might explain why Hurst would never be able to work successfully at a club with star quality players. You need a different approach these days to the "shut up or ship out" mantra.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 25, 2019, 5:06pm; Reply: 29

There are two sides to that James. The top players tend to have at least a fair bit of arrogance if not attitude, which might explain why Hurst would never be able to work successfully at a club with star quality players. You need a different approach these days to the "shut up or ship out" mantra.

Yep. Two sides to it. One of Hurst’s strengths is also a limiting factor if not actually a weakness.
Posted by: Kris2, August 25, 2019, 7:13pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from arryarryarry

Richard Brodie????

I honestly don't recall many here complaining when he came in, most were saying to not judge him on the past and to give him a chance. He was given a chance and then blew it completely because he's a little twerp. Brodie is the perfect example of a player that showed some talent but never grew up or changed his attitude so he's fell into obscurity when he could have had a decent career in football if he concentrated on football,opened his ears and shut his mouth.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 25, 2019, 7:36pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Kris2

I honestly don't recall many here complaining when he came in, most were saying to not judge him on the past and to give him a chance. He was given a chance and then blew it completely because he's a little twerp. Brodie is the perfect example of a player that showed some talent but never grew up or changed his attitude so he's fell into obscurity when he could have had a decent career in football if he concentrated on football,opened his ears and shut his mouth.

Agree with this .. Brodie caused no end of problems when he played against us so I get why he was brought in
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 25, 2019, 7:59pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from cannylad68
£3, £4 thousand a week.

Their Chairman must be covering most of the wage bill, no way can they afford that on their meager gates.
Posted by: RonMariner, August 25, 2019, 9:18pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Marinerz93

Their Chairman must be covering most of the wage bill, no way can they afford that on their meager gates.

Yes, and after all of the millions he has pumped in, here they are back at rock bottom. Rumour has it he wants out too.

One man vanity projects are always in trouble when the sugar daddy decides he's tired of flushing cash down the toilet.  
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 3:35pm