Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, August 24, 2019, 1:36pm
In view of recent concerns about expulsion of Bury and possible Bolton the EFL have decided to re evaluate the Bradford Park Avenue failure to avoid reelection. The may also look at Aldershot and Workington again. A spokesperson of the EFL said that final decisions should be made by Christmas               2025. if they manage to book an extra conference in Portugal.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 24, 2019, 2:07pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
In view of recent concerns about expulsion of Bury and possible Bolton the EFL have decided to re evaluate the Bradford Park Avenue failure to avoid reelection. The may also look at Aldershot and Workington again. A spokesperson of the EFL said that final decisions should be made by Christmas               2025. if they manage to book an extra conference in Portugal.

That's a shocking statement if you ask me, the EFL need to get a grip.

;D

Posted by: scrumble, August 24, 2019, 2:20pm; Reply: 2
Such an obvious wind-up. No way do the FL move that fast
Posted by: norfuk mariner, August 26, 2019, 3:41pm; Reply: 3
Bolton deal to sell falls through. EFL gives until tomorrow night to save the club.
Posted by: jaygy, August 26, 2019, 3:56pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from norfuk mariner
Bolton deal to sell falls through. EFL gives until tomorrow night to save the club.

Until another extension is granted....and another...etc etc. The EFL have got no balls to make big decisions
Posted by: Poojah, August 26, 2019, 4:06pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from norfuk mariner

I remember the excitement of travelling to the Reebok for the first time as a relative youngster; I think it was our first away game back in the second tier after the Wembley ‘98 season (and possibly Lee Ashcroft’s debut after his record £500k signing).

English football stadia hadn’t really undergone the kind of modern transformation it since has, and at the time the Reebok was one of the most state-of-the art in the world if not necessarily the biggest. It would be such a shame if it became a white elephant or, like the former homes of Scarborough and Rushden, razed to the ground.

Even with the inevitable formation of a phoenix club, surely it’s unlikeky that a fan run enterprise operating in the lower echelons of the non-league pyramid could sustain the running costs of a circa 30k capacity ground.
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 26, 2019, 4:10pm; Reply: 6
To be fair. The extension was always predictable. Theresa May should never have been put in charge of the EFL 😂
Posted by: mimma, August 26, 2019, 4:37pm; Reply: 7
I think that Bolton have saved Bury from been wound up. The league have granted Bolton extension after extension because of their standing and size. They then had to do likewise to Bury to be seen as being equal. If Bolton weren't in the mess they're in then I happen to think that Bury would have been kicked out a long time ago.
Posted by: SteffiMariner, August 26, 2019, 4:46pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from mimma
I think that Bolton have saved Bury from been wound up. The league have granted Bolton extension after extension because of their standing and size. They then had to do likewise to Bury to be seen as being equal. If Bolton weren't in the mess they're in then I happen to think that Bury would have been kicked out a long time ago.

And it looks like both aer going to be kicked out tomorrow. Looks like Scunnny have had a reprieve from being relegated.

Posted by: GrimRob, August 26, 2019, 5:18pm; Reply: 9
Scunny wouldn't get a reprieve everyone would just play 2 less games and there would be one less team relegated.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 26, 2019, 5:19pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from GrimRob
Scunny wouldn't get a reprieve everyone would just play 2 less games and there would be one less team relegated.

If Bolton & Bury both get expelled then there will be 2 less relegation places at every level from League One downwards. In League 2 that means there will be no relegation.
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 26, 2019, 5:24pm; Reply: 11
In theory it's good that scunny won't get relegated, at least by playing them again next season guarantees us another 6 points.
Posted by: Rik e B, August 26, 2019, 5:26pm; Reply: 12
Neh, we'll be League One
Posted by: Rik e B, August 26, 2019, 5:27pm; Reply: 13
;)
Posted by: mariner91, August 26, 2019, 5:32pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from GollyGTFC

If Bolton & Bury both get expelled then there will be 2 less relegation places at every level from League One downwards. In League 2 that means there will be no relegation.

Which is mental really isn't it? Means by probably the end of January there will be at least 6/7 teams who have nothing to play for with around 20 games left.
Posted by: GrimRob, August 26, 2019, 5:34pm; Reply: 15
Crowds could drop in both leagues one and two if there is little to play for. Painful as relegation is it keeps the interest in the season going for a lot of clubs in the bottom half. Hope they both survive for the good of the game.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 26, 2019, 5:40pm; Reply: 16
Ridiculous really I think they should still relegate from league 2 regardless if both go bust.

Just promote an extra conference team, its better to reward a good season rather than complete failure.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 26, 2019, 5:56pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Civvy at last
To be fair. The extension was always predictable. Theresa May should never have been put in charge of the EFL 😂

‘Boxit means Boxit’

‘I want to lead a strong and stable League. Not a Cup of Chaos like the FA’

Posted by: Limerick Mariner, August 26, 2019, 6:05pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Ridiculous really I think they should still relegate from league 2 regardless if both go bust.

Just promote an extra conference team, its better to reward a good season rather than complete failure.

Agreed. Still relegate two from the League and send 4 up from the Conference - that will be fun next season with some tinpots in League 2. Hopefully we won't be part of it...

Posted by: toontown, August 26, 2019, 7:08pm; Reply: 19
Should be a minimum of 1 team relegated, can't have a completely meaningless season at the bottom end that's daft. Just promote 1 extra team.
I know the efl has already made up its mind but as usual their wrong
Posted by: Brazilnut, August 26, 2019, 8:14pm; Reply: 20
I agree at least one team needs to go down or you could get teams not investing in players etc saving money so they have double budget next season .....especially if it is confirmed before this transfer window closes
Posted by: GrimRob, August 26, 2019, 9:11pm; Reply: 21
The EFL haven't decided yet according this article about whether there would be any relegation from league 2

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9782829/bury-efl-deadline-expel-football-league-exit-promotion-relegation/
Posted by: golfer, August 26, 2019, 9:49pm; Reply: 22
The EFL will most likely decide when the season is over depending on which teams are involved but everything will be above board.  Lk. Fk.
Posted by: GrimRob, August 26, 2019, 9:53pm; Reply: 23
To be fair you can't expect them to decide now. They have to give the two clubs every chance to survive and play out the season. Quite a lot of teams folded midway through the season lower down last year (like North Ferriby), more than I can ever remember so there are plenty of precedents on what to do but it is a worrying trend.
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 27, 2019, 12:25pm; Reply: 24
They can decide on the ruling now, it's not relegating anyone straight away.

There's some sort of cruel irony that Bolton's demise could result in a league with no relegation.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/bolton-wanderers/3251853/Bolton-chairman-Phil-Gartside-calls-for-two-tier-Premier-League-with-no-relegation-Football.html

I don't want any club to go to the wall, but in such event you can't just stop relegation.  The league will do so though otherwise it'll increase the calls for more promotion places from the Conference on a yearly basis.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, August 27, 2019, 1:29pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from diehardmariner
They can decide on the ruling now, it's not relegating anyone straight away.

There's some sort of cruel irony that Bolton's demise could result in a league with no relegation.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/bolton-wanderers/3251853/Bolton-chairman-Phil-Gartside-calls-for-two-tier-Premier-League-with-no-relegation-Football.html

I don't want any club to go to the wall, but in such event you can't just stop relegation.  The league will do so though otherwise it'll increase the calls for more promotion places from the Conference on a yearly basis.
s

Interesting thoughts from a former Bolton Chairman. Wonder whether Bolton fans would now vote for a closed shop for top 36 clubs, or even top 92 clubs if they get thrown out. No, I thought not.

Financial mismanagement on this scale needs to be stamped out in footy. Grimsby took it on the chin, paid their taxes and got relegated to non league.

I await words of wisdom about what they will do in the future if such mismanagement occurs in any of the clubs. Chairmen should be left in no doubt that the EFL will be as sympathetic in the future.

Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 27, 2019, 1:38pm; Reply: 26
This sort of thing happens all the time in non-league. There is no precedent for extra promotions rather than reprieves for relegated clubs. Last season North Ferriby United folded mid-season from the NPL Premier Division. At the end of the season it resulted in Barnstaple Town (SFL Division 1 South) receiving a relegation reprieve at the next step down.

If Bury & Bolton are both expelled then the precedent is that 2 clubs will be reprieved at every level below League One. So...

No relegation from League 2.
Only 2 relegated from National League
Only 2 (total) relegated from National League North & South [reorganisation from 22 to 24 teams]
Only 2 each relegated from the 4 Step 7 division. 2 worst PPG 20th placed teams will be reprieved.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 27, 2019, 2:09pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from GrimRob
The EFL haven't decided yet according this article about whether there would be any relegation from league 2

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9782829/bury-efl-deadline-expel-football-league-exit-promotion-relegation/

Not what the article says now. It says if both are expelled there will be no relegation from EFL2 to the National League.
Posted by: rancido, August 27, 2019, 3:09pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Agreed. Still relegate two from the League and send 4 up from the Conference - that will be fun next season with some tinpots in League 2. Hopefully we won't be part of it...

If both Bolton and Bury are kicked out and there is no relegation from League 2 then this season is meaningless for those teams in the top Conference league. Yet one would assume 4 teams would still be relegated into the Conference North and South! This is totally bonkers. Bolton and Burys plight should only affect the league they are in with just two less relegation places from League 1 and the normal number of promotion places from League 2.
Posted by: mariner91, August 27, 2019, 3:15pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from rancido

If both Bolton and Bury are kicked out and there is no relegation from League 2 then this season is meaningless for those teams in the top Conference league. Yet one would assume 4 teams would still be relegated into the Conference North and South! This is totally bonkers. Bolton and Burys plight should only affect the league they are in with just two less relegation places from League 1 and the normal number of promotion places from League 2.

But then you have only two clubs coming in to L2 from L1 and you have four leaving. Meaning you've now only got 22 teams.
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 27, 2019, 3:30pm; Reply: 30
Hmmm
This is getting quite tricky now. Perhaps we should get Diane Abbott in to sort it out. You never know we could go straight to the Prem 😉
Posted by: Rik e B, August 27, 2019, 3:44pm; Reply: 31
Project Fatique from the EFL, the peasants will get tired off protesting eventually and get used to and accept it.

NO!!! we must stand firm and not waiver!
Posted by: Davec, August 27, 2019, 3:48pm; Reply: 32
Bury takeover collapses last minute
Posted by: buckstown, August 27, 2019, 3:52pm; Reply: 33
Sounds like curtains for Bury unless another buyer steps up in the next two hours. Then they'll get another extension.
At some point someone in the EFL is going to be forced into a decision
Posted by: rancido, August 27, 2019, 4:07pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from mariner91

But then you have only two clubs coming in to L2 from L1 and you have four leaving. Meaning you've now only got 22 teams.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Bolton and Bury thrown out of League 1 plus two relegated, all 4 teams to be replaced by promotion from League 2. That way only League 1 is affected. Surely that is fairer than everything cascading down the pyramid?
Posted by: rancido, August 27, 2019, 4:08pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Civvy at last
Hmmm
This is getting quite tricky now. Perhaps we should get Diane Abbott in to sort it out. You never know we could go straight to the Prem 😉

Yes , she certainly has proved that she is good with maths !  Unlike me , obviously !! lol
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, August 27, 2019, 4:14pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from rancido

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Bolton and Bury thrown out of League 1 plus two relegated, all 4 teams to be replaced by promotion from League 2. That way only League 1 is affected. Surely that is fairer than everything cascading down the pyramid?

Sorry not understanding you here. If Bury and Bolton disappear who makes up the numbers in L2 then? As we will only have 22 teams surely?
Posted by: mariner91, August 27, 2019, 4:32pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from rancido

Except for L2 which now has two less teams.
Posted by: chaos33, August 27, 2019, 4:37pm; Reply: 38
Exactly my thought.
Posted by: Codswede, August 27, 2019, 4:40pm; Reply: 39
What worries me about this whole situation is what happens after the potential liquidation of the two clubs - worst of all the threat of a possible repeat of the Wimbledon relocation.

Particularly in the case of Bolton, the stadium owner, council etc. cannot afford to let that stadium facility go to waste, even if it is only for 5-10 years while Bolton re-climb the non-league pyramid. I'd like to know what is in place to stop AFC Fylde's rich owners (for example) shifting their club to Bolton? The EFL have never acknowledged that moving Wimbledon to MK was a mistake, quite the opposite, so would they still back such a thing?

Even the idea of someone merging the two teams to form one phoenix club sets a really dangerous precedent, sad that we cannot trust the EFL to look out for its member clubs' longevity and future on these matters. History suggests that the two clubs being liquidated will not be the last outrage in this long line of abuses.
Posted by: LH, August 27, 2019, 4:52pm; Reply: 40
They should probably use this time to restructure the Championship down from 24 to 22 teams so they’re not playing Sat/Tues for what seems like the whole of the second half of the season. For the wider benefit  this makes more sense than not having relegation from L2.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, August 27, 2019, 4:59pm; Reply: 41
What surely should happen is that 4 are relegated from league 1 as per the start of the season and six promoted from league 2 with no relegation  ;)
Posted by: CodHead, August 27, 2019, 5:04pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from horsforthmariner
What surely should happen is that 4 are relegated from league 1 as per the start of the season and six promoted from league 2 with no relegation  ;)

That means Scunny would stay up  :( :(
Posted by: horsforthmariner, August 27, 2019, 5:09pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from CodHead

Okay 1 place down from league 2 and 3 up from tinpot league - that would work!
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, August 27, 2019, 5:10pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from CodHead

Way they are run with Swan splashing the wifes cash could well see them repeat of Bury in a few years.  :o
Posted by: topuphere666, August 27, 2019, 5:10pm; Reply: 45
If both teams go under, only two will come down to league 2 next season does that mean there will be no relegations from league 2?
Posted by: CodHead, August 27, 2019, 5:14pm; Reply: 46
2 teams relegated from league 1
4 teams promoted from league 2
No relegation from league 2
2 teams promoted from tinpot

I’d assume
Posted by: grimps, August 27, 2019, 5:18pm; Reply: 47
3 down and 5 up would be the fairest solution .
It’s a shame that Scunny won’t get a taste of non league just yet
Posted by: GrimRob, August 27, 2019, 5:25pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Not what the article says now. It says if both are expelled there will be no relegation from EFL2 to the National League.

It's quite a bit down the article you need to read all of it. It's towards the end that it says that.
Posted by: Meza, August 27, 2019, 6:00pm; Reply: 49
Lets have a stab at it then lol

Champ >>><<< Lg1 I guess stays the same.

Bolton? - 23
Bury? - 24

= 22 teams

2 relegated

= 20 (meaning 4 teams req for Lg 1)
-------------
LG2

4 promoted (3 auto 1 PO)

= 20 teams

2 relegated from LG1

= 22 teams

2 relegated to NL

= 20 teams

Hmm this doesn't look right, 4 teams to come from NL?
Posted by: GrimRob, August 27, 2019, 6:30pm; Reply: 50
Still looking iffy for both clubs after another deadline passes with no firm news. No doubt it will get another deadline for next week. Fingers crossed for both of them.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 4:48pm