Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: dicko995, August 20, 2019, 7:06pm
Team news
MARINERS LINE-UP: McKeown, Hendrie, Waterfall, Davis, Ring, Hessenthaler, Hewitt, Whitehouse, Green, Ogbu, Hanson.
ON THE BENCH: Russell, Pollock, Clifton, Wright, Vernam, Cook, Cardwell.
Posted by: lukeo, August 20, 2019, 7:59pm; Reply: 1
We're lucky to have 11 still on. Hewitt should have been sent off for that. Personally would bring him off. Apart fromm that a good start to the game (I've only seen highlights this season)
Posted by: Chrisblor, August 20, 2019, 8:00pm; Reply: 2
Hewitt doing his best to get sent off. Seriously needs to rein in his careless challenges
Posted by: bawarmy, August 20, 2019, 8:00pm; Reply: 3
How we playing?
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 20, 2019, 8:03pm; Reply: 4

Jeez they know how to throw themselves to the ground don't they.
Posted by: Chrisblor, August 20, 2019, 8:03pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from bawarmy
How we playing?

Looking solid at the back but not a huge amount of quality aside from that. Ring knocked in a first time cross which led to a half chance for Ogbu but he couldn't connect properly and Waterfall has just headed wide from a corner. Midfield is looking industrious but not creating much.
Posted by: lukeo, August 20, 2019, 8:03pm; Reply: 6
Anyone else's commentary behind play? I'm watching through the pc to my television so don't know if that's causing the sound to be delayed slightly
Posted by: lee65, August 20, 2019, 8:03pm; Reply: 7
Watching on ifollow, low key and a bit steady.  Officials look like ruining it, so get ready for a penalty or blatant offside goal

We are closing down well, but late on occasion so expect more cards
Posted by: lee65, August 20, 2019, 8:04pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from lukeo
Anyone else's commentary behind play? I'm watching through the pc to my television so don't know if that's causing the sound to be delayed slightly

Yes, by around 1 second while watching on pc
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, August 20, 2019, 8:04pm; Reply: 9
Playing well. We're the better side easy. Refs blowing his whistle every time they trip over a blade of grass but not really giving us anything. If we keep this up we should win this.
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, August 20, 2019, 8:11pm; Reply: 10
1 down
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, August 20, 2019, 8:12pm; Reply: 11
FFS what was I just saying. You're not saving that any time soon. But the defence was far too slow to close down.
Posted by: Chrisblor, August 20, 2019, 8:12pm; Reply: 12
Clown car defending again. Ball given away in a dangerous area and slammed in by their unmarked player. Lots of similarities to Forest Green's winner. Shot ourselves in the foot again.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 20, 2019, 8:12pm; Reply: 13

Poor goal concede by us, good finish to be fair to them.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, August 20, 2019, 8:12pm; Reply: 14
5h1t
Posted by: Hagrid, August 20, 2019, 8:13pm; Reply: 15
Bahh. Poor
Posted by: lee65, August 20, 2019, 8:13pm; Reply: 16
JT blaming Ring, but all down to Hessenthaler carrying backwards towards our area then turning in to trouble
Very poor goal to concede
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 20, 2019, 8:14pm; Reply: 17
Not sure where Ring was when Hess needed him and why didn’t Hess just get rid, who the f**k was marking the goal scorer?

Officials shocking BTW 😑
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, August 20, 2019, 8:14pm; Reply: 18
This ref is well aweful. No other words for it what is he doing?!?!
Posted by: buckstown, August 20, 2019, 8:18pm; Reply: 19
Our midfield and attack don't look like they've ever met each other. Long hoof, aimless pass, awful cross.
Colchester are much the better football team
Posted by: lee65, August 20, 2019, 8:19pm; Reply: 20
We are trying hard, but chasing around a bit aimlessly
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 20, 2019, 8:22pm; Reply: 21
Need a bit more energy and pace to get back into this.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, August 20, 2019, 8:26pm; Reply: 22
Macca keeping us in it. Our positioning tonight is all over the place.
Posted by: lee65, August 20, 2019, 8:26pm; Reply: 23
Free header for the no9
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 20, 2019, 8:27pm; Reply: 24
We've been dogged. Hessenthaler by far our best player and his error led to the goal.
Posted by: Chrisblor, August 20, 2019, 8:27pm; Reply: 25
The midfield three and two wide forwards are so ineffectual here. Hessenthaler has primarily been playing as a fifth defender covering the wide areas, Hewitt has done nothing but clatter into people and Whitehouse seems to give the ball away every time it comes to him. Ogbu & Green are completely isolated and haven't really had any time on the ball. Don't understand how this formation is meant to work without some more creativity in midfield or pace out wide.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, August 20, 2019, 8:32pm; Reply: 26
Slow lethargic performance. Ring looks absolutely woeful
Posted by: Hagrid, August 20, 2019, 8:33pm; Reply: 27
flipping crap
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 20, 2019, 8:34pm; Reply: 28
Soft goal - game over.

Really poor defending from Ring & Davis.
Posted by: Chrisblor, August 20, 2019, 8:34pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from GtfcGarner

Needs to be off. Completely missing and let their player head that in unopposed. Not good enough for this level.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, August 20, 2019, 8:34pm; Reply: 30
WTF was that. No press on the man making the cross and no one marking the only man in the box. 6 town players and 2 colchester players. Shocking. Macca has no hope again.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 20, 2019, 8:35pm; Reply: 31
Well after saying i thought they were good against bradford, this is dire.
Posted by: lukeo, August 20, 2019, 8:35pm; Reply: 32
I'd have Hewitt off for Clifton and tell them to get the ball on the flipping ball.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 20, 2019, 8:37pm; Reply: 33
The amount of times ring has been caught out is a joke.

The whole thing tonight is a mess, is luke hendrie just having a kick about with his mates or what?

Very poor.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 20, 2019, 8:37pm; Reply: 34

This is definitely a wake up call, oh to be a Town fan  πŸ˜Ÿ
Posted by: chipsandgravy, August 20, 2019, 8:39pm; Reply: 35
You could sub any one of eight players but Ring, Green and Hewitt are beyond poor tonight.
Posted by: scott_gtfc_89, August 20, 2019, 8:40pm; Reply: 36
Ah excrement, here we go again...
Posted by: buckstown, August 20, 2019, 8:40pm; Reply: 37
We knock it about nicely in our own half but there's no pressure. As soon as we get to the half way line and they start pressing we're awful. Lost count of how many times we gave the ball away or hit aimless balls to nobody.
If that's representative it's going to be a long hard winter, so I hope he can sort it at half time
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, August 20, 2019, 8:42pm; Reply: 38
Still ahead of Scunthorpe on goal difference πŸ€—
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 20, 2019, 8:43pm; Reply: 39

Let's hope Shutes isn't watching the game tonight.
Posted by: buckstown, August 20, 2019, 8:43pm; Reply: 40
Impressed with the I-follow coverage by the way.
Have to agree about Ring, doesn't look up to it and the midfield are having to drop back and cover his backside. Difficult to judge the front three, they've had nothing to work with
Posted by: toontown, August 20, 2019, 8:45pm; Reply: 41
Whatever they have been practising all week it hasn't been passing - absolutely dreadful passing from Hewitt, white house, waterfall, Hendrie and ring. Lots of delay to crosses so that they have a chance to block. Really poor from town with no quality on the ball whatsoever apart from Hess and glimpses from Hanson and ogbu.
Green has a great attitude and i like him but to be honest is not getting much joy in that wide role in any of the games ive seen (all apart from FGR), i think imps said he wasnt very effective out wide and needed to be player centrally didn't they?- looks like that could be right to me. I would like to see Wright in that role.
Colchester have shown how to play on the break always break quickly and looked dangerous every time they attack.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 20, 2019, 8:47pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from promotion plaice

Let's hope Shutes isn't watching the game tonight.

He might be rubbing his hands. It's knocked a few points of the price.
Posted by: lukeo, August 20, 2019, 8:47pm; Reply: 43
4321 get the 2 wide strikers tucked Inn
Posted by: Madeleymariner, August 20, 2019, 8:47pm; Reply: 44
V poor. Ring just seems to be not with it defensively and apart from Hess no one seems able to control or pass the ball. Cant see us coming back to be honest. Ogbu a couple of runs but hes hardly had the ball and Waterfall is incapable of directing a header anywhere useful. we just dont seem to have any individual clever skills. I am guessing opposing managers have sussed whos who and how we play now were a couple of games in.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 20, 2019, 8:49pm; Reply: 45
Problem for me is we have so many defensive style players in the middle their first thought is don't lose the ball....none of them want to carry the ball or capable of beating their man or carrying it forward.....blunt as fck.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 20, 2019, 8:50pm; Reply: 46
Some pace and energy on the bench ..... still!!
Posted by: Davec, August 20, 2019, 8:51pm; Reply: 47
Well we don't look a play off team, very one dimensional with no plan B, teams are already starting to suss us out and we just play into their hands, where's the goals going to come from? We might score more goals than last season but it still won't be enough, we still look atleast 3 players short from being a play off team
Posted by: sapper mariner, August 20, 2019, 8:52pm; Reply: 48
were going to win 3-2
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, August 20, 2019, 8:52pm; Reply: 49
PENO! Clear as day as they clipped Ogbus legs. And its gooooooooooood! HANSON
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 20, 2019, 9:00pm; Reply: 50

It's Cheltenham all over again, get up ffs
Posted by: Hagrid, August 20, 2019, 9:00pm; Reply: 51
Stop giving the ref the decision to make FFS
Posted by: buckstown, August 20, 2019, 9:02pm; Reply: 52
Id take Ring off, put Wright on and go 4-4-2, Ogbu on the opposite side
Posted by: lee65, August 20, 2019, 9:07pm; Reply: 53
Free kicks in to the box are so poor, just floaty and deep
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, August 20, 2019, 9:13pm; Reply: 54
Stupid foul by Davis because hes positioned himself badly

Ogbu off for Vernam?!?! Seems like a mad decision
Hes the only one doing anything again.
Posted by: Hagrid, August 20, 2019, 9:13pm; Reply: 55
Wtf is that change all about. Pathetic decision
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 20, 2019, 9:13pm; Reply: 56
We are so poor in the final 3rd, and from the dead ball we are toothless.

Why is Moses coming off when Green has been missing for the last 30 mins or so.
Posted by: lukeo, August 20, 2019, 9:14pm; Reply: 57
I hate to be negative but why bring Ogbu off? Also how has her not got Clifton on yet for Hewitt.. He's done nothing. By the way i like Vernham a lot.
Posted by: Chrisblor, August 20, 2019, 9:15pm; Reply: 58
Jolley's substitutions were shocking on Saturday. Can't see the logic of taking off the only player who has caused them any bother so far tonight. Let's hope this works out better
Posted by: TAGG, August 20, 2019, 9:16pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from GtfcGarner

He’s been woeful from day one. He’s not going to get any better.
Cut our losses and send him home.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, August 20, 2019, 9:21pm; Reply: 60
Whitehouse for Wright.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 20, 2019, 9:26pm; Reply: 61
Our passing is shocking
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, August 20, 2019, 9:27pm; Reply: 62
Cook comes on for Hewitt. :-/
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 20, 2019, 9:31pm; Reply: 63
Tonights performance reminded me of a classic slade performance..

Hoof it up and hope for the best.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 20, 2019, 9:32pm; Reply: 64
Get In!!!

Well done Greeny.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, August 20, 2019, 9:32pm; Reply: 65
Thats how you open your account. What a strike by Green on the half volley!! Finally that 2nd ball landing to someone in black and white this half.
Posted by: Marinerdan, August 20, 2019, 9:34pm; Reply: 66
Great goal for Green, smashed in from the edge of the area.
Posted by: buckstown, August 20, 2019, 9:34pm; Reply: 67
Wonderful strike
Posted by: Chrisblor, August 20, 2019, 9:34pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Chrisblor
Jolley's substitutions were shocking on Saturday. Can't see the logic of taking off the only player who has caused them any bother so far tonight. Let's hope this works out better

With opinions like this it's incredible I never made it as a football manager
Posted by: RichMariner, August 20, 2019, 9:37pm; Reply: 69
Well, if there was one thing that Jolley addressed in the summer, it was our lack of attacking threat.

It might not be pretty this season, but with Hanson and Green in the side we've always got a chance of scoring goals.

Even at 2-0 down and not playing well, we're not out of the tie.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, August 20, 2019, 9:41pm; Reply: 70
when did we last come back from 2-0 down to earn any points?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 20, 2019, 9:42pm; Reply: 71
As poor as we where at times we are fukin dogged and stick to the task πŸ‘
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 20, 2019, 9:42pm; Reply: 72
Ground out the result then. And Scunts and Imps lost.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 20, 2019, 9:45pm; Reply: 73
..And Hull lost at home.
Posted by: lee65, August 20, 2019, 9:47pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
..And Hull lost at home.

With just over 10k there!
Posted by: lukeo, August 20, 2019, 9:47pm; Reply: 75
Strange. I can see a nucleus of a good side but why do wee constantly hoof it? Embo and Whitehouse can play football, we also have Clifton who can.. Ogbu aand greeen are better with it at their feet so why not keep it on the deck and use the long ball for when we're under pressure.. Fair result in the end to be honest
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, August 20, 2019, 9:49pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
when did we last come back from 2-0 down to earn any points?

Aldershot v Grimsby Town 05/04/2016 after a quick look

Posted by: geir, August 20, 2019, 9:49pm; Reply: 77
Hessenthaler were absolutely everywhere on the pitch today! Man of the match for me!
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, August 20, 2019, 9:50pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Imps lost to the team I'd least like them losing to, but nice to see them lose at last. Tyler Walker scored for them again. Going to prove a v good signing for them I suspect.

A game tonight we would have lost under Slade and with last season's strike force, that extra bit of quality got us the point. We need at least one more in - we are all saying it - the creative navigator type for the good workhorses we now seem to have. They don't come easy to sign (- season long loan?) but its a must if we to be anything but mid-table...

Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 20, 2019, 9:50pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from lukeo
Strange. I can see a nucleus of a good side but why do wee constantly hoof it? Embo and Whitehouse can play football, we also have Clifton who can.. Ogbu aand greeen are better with it at their feet so why not keep it on the deck and use the long ball for when we're under pressure.. Fair result in the end to be honest

We have some pace in the squad MJ just needs to mix it with experience and we'll be fine. Passing must improve and we need to be able to take the odd corner but considering we went in looking pretty ragged a fair result in the end.

Not sure why their manager was giving the ref the big un as he was poor for both sides.    
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 20, 2019, 9:51pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from KingstonMariner

After our first-half performance it didn't turn out too bad in the end   :)

Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 20, 2019, 9:52pm; Reply: 81
Scunny bottom of the league πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Posted by: buckstown, August 20, 2019, 9:53pm; Reply: 82
Well, well how on earth did we scrape a point out of that? Have to admire the tenacity in the second half and we never gave up but we're not good. Colchester reminded me of a classic Hurst performance, threw a point away by sitting back, summed up by taking Norris (class act) off and bring the extra centre half on.
Even after we equalised they looked like they could have stepped up and won it,  but credit were it's due we showed some fight.  
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 20, 2019, 9:53pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Scunny bottom of the league πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Again   ;D

Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 20, 2019, 10:01pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from promotion plaice

Again   ;D

Sod it. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Hang on.....

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Posted by: Madeleymariner, August 20, 2019, 10:07pm; Reply: 85
Good comeback, better 2nd half but the subs didn't seem to have any real impact again. Wright, Vernam and Cook had a run each and thats about that but its hard for them to get into the game if the balls flying 3 foot above all the time.
Posted by: lukeo, August 20, 2019, 10:09pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Good comeback, better 2nd half but the subs didn't seem to have any real impact again. Wright, Vernam and Cook had a run each and thats about that but its hard for them to get into the game if the balls flying 3 foot above all the time.

Not to mention the lateness of the subs.. Didn't we score from the free kick Wright won?
Posted by: carrot top, August 20, 2019, 10:11pm; Reply: 87
Hessenthaler MOM by a long way.  His mistake trying to clear led to their first goal though. Poor performances from Whitehouse and Hewitt with too many misplaced passes. Colchester should have been out of sight by half time. Great strike for the equaliser from Green. All in all a dogged performance in the 2nd half and managed to grind out a result
Posted by: Hagrid, August 20, 2019, 10:12pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from lukeo

Not to mention the lateness of the subs.. Didn't we score from the free kick Wright won?

No
Posted by: fishboyUTM, August 20, 2019, 10:27pm; Reply: 89
Positives are team spirit. We looked dead and buried at half time. Hess, despite maybe being at fault for the first goal had a good busy game,  Hanson again looked a handful although he was penalised seemingly every time for having the cheek to stand 6'4. Only other positive I saw was we actually came back from 0-2 and gained a point. Credit to the lads there.

Those positives aside, I wonder why the UEFA pro badge qualified Michael Jolley learned that football from the dinosaur area gets you anywhere nowadays. The ball was thumped forward from all angles, midfield not required. No industry, no creativity and no guile. So sad to see Grimsby Town playing like that, it isn't what I was brought up on and it won't get us anywhere at this level.

Hope to see a huge improvement on Saturday, I can't fault the lads work ethic but I'll not accept that style of 'football. Russell Slade would be delighted.
Posted by: lee65, August 20, 2019, 10:32pm; Reply: 90
Well I think the input of someone (Jolley or Limbrick?) at half time must’ve had some positive effect, as it looked to me 2nd half that Green played much closer to Hanson and they looked like a front β€œpair”.
Posted by: mariner91, August 20, 2019, 10:32pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from lukeo

The obvious answer to your question is that although Embleton is indeed an excellent and technically gifted footballer, we're going to struggle to uitilise him when he plays for Sunderland.
Posted by: lukeo, August 20, 2019, 10:42pm; Reply: 92
Hess sorry  ;D :P
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 20, 2019, 11:09pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

Aldershot v Grimsby Town 05/04/2016 after a quick look

Grief, that was a game and a half. Bogle saved that match pretty much on his own.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 20, 2019, 11:10pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Imps lost to the team I'd least like them losing to, but nice to see them lose at last. Tyler Walker scored for them again. Going to prove a v good signing for them I suspect.

A game tonight we would have lost under Slade and with last season's strike force, that extra bit of quality got us the point. We need at least one more in - we are all saying it - the creative navigator type for the good workhorses we now seem to have. They don't come easy to sign (- season long loan?) but its a must if we to be anything but mid-table...

Aye. Second that. Hope they go on to lose every other match.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 20, 2019, 11:14pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from buckstown
Well, well how on earth did we scrape a point out of that? Have to admire the tenacity in the second half and we never gave up but we're not good. Colchester reminded me of a classic Hurst performance, threw a point away by sitting back, summed up by taking Norris (class act) off and bring the extra centre half on.
Even after we equalised they looked like they could have stepped up and won it,  but credit were it's due we showed some fight.  

After the Parslow Point we have the Sowunmi Stage.

(Admittedly it doesn't have the double meaning of 'point')
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, August 21, 2019, 9:02am; Reply: 96
I asked on the prediction thread who is taking the peno's this season and someone replied Green , , , , after watching last night when we got a peno I noticed Whitehouse pointing to himself as if to say I'm the taker , , , and then it was Hanson who took it!
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 11:05am