Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, August 20, 2019, 11:53am

So MJ  says he has 19 outfield players and would like 20, so.....

Hendrie ring Gibson Davis ohman Hewitt Pollock waterfall
Clifton Whitehouse hess  cook Wright
Hanson rose green vernam ogbu  cardwell 19

So who is our best guess, someone from Sunderland as some on here said in pre season? Another from Newcastle?  They've just loaned one to Carlisle and another to stevenage.
Quite a few sides seem to loan  about a dozen out from their reserves/under 23s.  Hull maybe? Sheff United?

Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, August 20, 2019, 12:05pm; Reply: 1
Surely has to be a CM, we only have 4 for three positions (including Hewitt). Any injuries we are either going to have to alter the system or stick someone in midfield who should not be there.

Meyler still without a club? Seems odd he has not found a club yet with his experience at a high level.
Posted by: A.l.f., August 20, 2019, 12:18pm; Reply: 2
I've go from Someone on loan from Hull or Sunderland.
Posted by: Croxton, August 20, 2019, 12:46pm; Reply: 3
Wilder at Sheffield United has openly invited some of his players to look elsewhere for game time. Hurst may be sniffing round if he can get some of his own out on loan. Jolley is a Sheffield lad as is Waterfall. Time for a closed doors game for triallists from along the M180?
Posted by: GtfcGarner, August 20, 2019, 12:50pm; Reply: 4
Got to get another player in the CM area I think. With the way we play the three of them will become tired and need to be rotated, others are calling for creativity but I'd be happy with another CM full of energy and tenacity.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, August 20, 2019, 1:14pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Croxton
Wilder at Sheffield United has openly invited some of his players to look elsewhere for game time. Hurst may be sniffing round if he can get some of his own out on loan. Jolley is a Sheffield lad as is Waterfall. Time for a closed doors game for triallists from along the M180?

Think hurst already has 2 from sheff utd in on loan

Posted by: Rik e B, August 20, 2019, 1:44pm; Reply: 6
Good point Garner they run themselves ragged so there going to be periods where we feeling several close proximity fixtures or injuries take a grip. I'd also suggest a skillful youngster from the higher divisions in the Embleton mould.
Posted by: gtfc98, August 20, 2019, 2:00pm; Reply: 7
It's Devitt.
Posted by: Son of Cod, August 20, 2019, 2:06pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from gtfc98
It's Devitt.

He'll be off back to Bradford surely.
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), August 20, 2019, 2:46pm; Reply: 9
Devitt would be a good shout!!

Still wondering where Meyler will end up too?!! That would be a great signing!
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, August 20, 2019, 4:19pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from 1542
Devitt would be a good shout!!

Still wondering where Meyler will end up too?!! That would be a great signing!

I suspect Meyler is holding out for more money from a club somewhere. 29 and has played 103 times in the PL and 79 times in the Championship, surely his legs cannot have gone at 29 so must just be biding his time.  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 20, 2019, 4:48pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from gtfc98
It's Devitt.

Heard same.
Posted by: buckstown, August 20, 2019, 5:22pm; Reply: 12
Thought Devitt only just signed for Blackpool? Why would they send him out on loan, he's not a youngster is he?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 20, 2019, 5:25pm; Reply: 13
As has been said, I wouldn't be disappointed with another yard dog in the middle. Creative players can soon become a luxury. The key to success in this league is high energy and pressing.

If Devitt returns for a third spell I hope he's much better than last time. First time round he was superb but he wasn't the same player in his second spell.
Posted by: golfer, August 20, 2019, 5:45pm; Reply: 14
We want better than Devitt
Posted by: mariner91, August 20, 2019, 6:03pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from golfer

He scored more goals last season from midfield than any of our players managed and was their players' player of the season. What sort of calibre of player do you expect us to attract?
Posted by: Madeleymariner, August 20, 2019, 6:03pm; Reply: 16
Carlisles player of season last 2 years so cant be too shabby at this level-left for a L1 club. Should be good enough for us.
Posted by: Davec, August 21, 2019, 7:34am; Reply: 17
So is this Jamie Devitt thing something people has heard or is it just what people want? If Bradford are interested then surely he would sign for them ahead of us?
Posted by: Hagrid, August 21, 2019, 7:36am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Davec
So is this Jamie Devitt thing something people has heard or is it just what people want? If Bradford are interested then surely he would sign for them ahead of us?

Why surely?
Posted by: psgmariner, August 21, 2019, 7:41am; Reply: 19
Devitt wants to stay in the north west.
Posted by: Croxton, August 21, 2019, 7:42am; Reply: 20
Quoted from Hagrid

Why surely?

Tell him Davec. Don't leave us hanging!
Posted by: golfer, August 21, 2019, 8:11am; Reply: 21
Quoted from Davec

As Trump would say "If it's on the Fishy it's.............,."
Posted by: Son of Cod, August 21, 2019, 10:30am; Reply: 22
Quoted from buckstown
Thought Devitt only just signed for Blackpool? Why would they send him out on loan, he's not a youngster is he?

The signed him before Grayson was appointed and he doesn't rate him is what the rumours are saying.

Quoted from Madeleymariner
Carlisles player of season last 2 years so cant be too shabby at this level-left for a L1 club. Should be good enough for us.

And 20+ assists at Morecambe the season before.

Quoted from Hagrid

Why surely?

Money and location.
Posted by: Mallyner, August 21, 2019, 10:37am; Reply: 23
Quoted from psgmariner
Devitt wants to stay in the north west. http://www.miabcleethorpes.net

Where did you see that message?  ;)
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 22, 2019, 9:39am; Reply: 24
Devitt would benefit our team.  We lack creativity, it's that simple.

Midfield wise I agree that the preferred three of Clifton, Hessenthaler and Whitehouse cannot sustain their tempo for the whole season.  Tuesday may well have been an off day but Whitehouse wasn't his usual self, after spending a year in rehab it's understandable he will dwindle off at some point.  Resting Clifton also highlighted that Hewitt doesn't offer the same energy levels and our game overall was lesser for it.   That said I think in Cook we've someone who could drop into that midfield three, albeit, in a slightly more advanced role without seeing a drop in the intensity.  

I've got a feeling it could be left-back where we see any other recruit coming in.  Unfortunately it appears that Ring isn't up to it, I suspect Jolley is thinking the same too.  I've only seen glimpses of Gibson but he doesn't seem any better and quite injury prone.  His loan expires in January but I wonder if we'll end up terminating it early to bring someone else in.

Should we bring an attacker in, be it a wide or central player, I think we'll have to shift at least one out.  At present we're employing a three-man attack. of which we've Hanson, Green, Ogbu, Rose, Cook, Vernam, Wright and Cardwell to compete for places.  Far too many, especially if we bring another in.  Cardwell is the one I think most would fancy to go out, probably on loan.
Posted by: sam gy, August 22, 2019, 9:56am; Reply: 25
Would Devitt be the central creative midfielder we need, or would he be another option as a wide man in a front three, though?

I only know him as a winger, so not sure where he's been playing since he left us.
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 22, 2019, 10:02am; Reply: 26
I think he played both wide and in a withdrawn striker role at Carlisle.  I think he may have also played wingback at some point too.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 22, 2019, 10:22am; Reply: 27
Quoted from golfer

Unfortunately Ribery went to Italy and it looks like Barcelona and Bayern are in neymar and courtinho
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, August 23, 2019, 2:05pm; Reply: 28
Devitt signed for Bradford so thats one put to bed :)
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, August 23, 2019, 2:33pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby
Devitt signed for Bradford so thats one put to bed :)

That's two midfielders in two days for Bradford

They seem to be strengthening their weaknesses at Blundell park
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, August 28, 2019, 2:11pm; Reply: 30
BUMP.

DHM said Grayson would be ok on another thread; and i quite like that idea too.  But havent checked to see if he's got any game time at Blackburn, I wouldnt expect he has
Posted by: forza ivano, August 28, 2019, 4:45pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from ex-merseymariner
BUMP.

DHM said Grayson would be ok on another thread; and i quite like that idea too.  But havent checked to see if he's got any game time at Blackburn, I wouldnt expect he has

no.unused sub in carabao cup plus a reserve game according to transfer market
Posted by: Davec, August 28, 2019, 9:28pm; Reply: 32
I would still like 2 new players atleast but it's looking likely it might just be one now (hopefully) if we can't sign somebody that's going to leave us very short until January
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 2:49am