Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 20, 2019, 11:30am
Have called off their game at home to Donny tonight with concerns for "player welfare" without consulting the EFL or Donny.

A sad state of affairs with Bury looking likely to go pop and maybe Bolton following soon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49399958
Posted by: RichMariner, August 20, 2019, 11:40am; Reply: 1
Hmm, awkward one to resolve. Do clubs have the power to just call a match off without consulting the other team or seeking approval from the EFL?

I have (some) sympathy for Bolton, in the sense that they feel they can't keep fielding kids that are also playing youth games, so I understand their concerns about over-playing them and over-exposing them to the physical demands of first team football.

However, I'd like to bet that the majority of them want to play. Maybe, if they're also playing youth games, they should call the youth fixtures off and prioritise the first team games?

I know it's not exactly the same position as Bury but if there was any doubt around Bolton being able to fulfil 46 league fixtures before the season started then the EFL should've been across this from the start.

It really is a sad state of affairs. Bolton and Bury are in the positions they are from gross overspending and arrogance from the top. I'm not sure the EFL are coming out of this positively either.

As always, it's the fans that suffer.
Posted by: pizzzza, August 20, 2019, 11:48am; Reply: 2
Sounds to me like they are trying to buy some time and avoid another spanking. They'd probably rather delay until more senior players are available so at least they have some chance of picking up a point or 3.

Or maybe that is just me being a cynical twit.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 20, 2019, 11:59am; Reply: 3
I think if any club postpones a game without approval a hefty fine will follow at least.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, August 20, 2019, 12:54pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from pizzzza
Sounds to me like they are trying to buy some time and avoid another spanking. They'd probably rather delay until more senior players are available so at least they have some chance of picking up a point or 3.

I bet this is the case. If I was the EFL i'd  just award the tie to Donny 3-0.

To be fair both Bolton and Bury are a shambles. Every EFL club should be forced to pass a test that they have paid their players and can prove they can fufil their fixtures six weeks out from the season. If they can't do that they should be thrown out.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 20, 2019, 12:58pm; Reply: 5
An even heftier fine if they have not had enough stewards to control the fans.

Both Bolton and Bury at serious risk of disappearing as league clubs.

There is a bigger issue here.  Clubs are in more serious trouble than before.  The EFL also seem unable or unwilling to stop dodgy owners taking control.  The recipe for a perfect storm.

If 1 or 2 clubs go bust, I can see a domino effect whereby other clubs go to the wall.  The EFL might also lose patience with struggling clubs and pull the plug.

Probably most EFL clubs are vulnerable here.  If our takeover does not happen, and John Fenty wants to relinquish control, then we could be at risk.  I cannot see the EFL being too bothered about our future.
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 20, 2019, 1:26pm; Reply: 6
Not sure what the EFL's ruling is on calling off games, but I know that even in the local Sunday League, once fixtures are set, then, barring weather related postponements, games must be played on the date set down,

You can apply for one fixture free date before the start of the season but that's all.

Anyone calling off a game sees the points awarded to their opponents and get fined.
Posted by: lukeo, August 20, 2019, 1:27pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Les Brechin
Not sure what the EFL's ruling is on calling off games, but I know that even in the local Sunday League, once fixtures are set, then, barring weather related postponements, games must be played on the date set down,

You can apply for one fixture free date before the start of the season but that's all.

Anyone calling off a game sees the points awarded to their opponents and get fined.

Similar down here on Saturday except you can close 2 dates but the league needs 1 month notice minimum
Posted by: The Boys Paddock, August 20, 2019, 1:29pm; Reply: 8
Bolton in more trouble here, player welfare? wtf is that?
Posted by: pizzzza, August 20, 2019, 1:29pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Les Brechin

But that has not happened to Bury has it?
Posted by: pen penfras, August 20, 2019, 1:30pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from pizzzza

They're probably going down regardless. The only other time I can remember a situation like this was when Middlesbrough cancelled a game (I think against Blackburn?), and got deducted 3 points. This was in the premier league, but that should be the precedent. To mess around other clubs because you're in a mess and want a better chance at getting a result is unfair.

I'd have thought the young players would love the experience and exposure of playing first team football.
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 20, 2019, 1:51pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from pizzzza

But that has not happened to Bury has it?

But Bury haven't called their games off have they, the league has.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, August 20, 2019, 2:07pm; Reply: 12
Shocking.
Players welfare?
Footballers being forced to play football?
Massive fine, points deducted, sling 'em out the league if need be.
The most disgusting cynical attempt at playing the system I've heard of.
Who the fcuk do they think they are?
Posted by: GrimRob, August 20, 2019, 2:45pm; Reply: 13
Play it behind doors if they have to. It's football. All you need is a ball.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 20, 2019, 4:40pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Probably most EFL clubs are vulnerable here.  If our takeover does not happen, and John Fenty wants to relinquish control, then we could be at risk.  I cannot see the EFL being too bothered about our future.

Whatever we might think of Fenty we know he loves the club so he would never just walk away.

Posted by: AndyDarloFC, August 20, 2019, 5:21pm; Reply: 15
When we had the same issues back in 2012, we were forced to play our kids & we got spanked most weeks - But they did allow the club to sign players for free (players like Drewe Broughton/Neil Wainwright come to our aid and played for free; only claiming expenses which the Supporters Group paid for).

It was a relief when we did get demoted, because it was a breath of fresh air and brought everyone closer together as a fan-owned club.

Wondering why Bolton haven't been given the opportunity to do that kind of thing at the moment?
Posted by: Meza, August 20, 2019, 5:24pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from horsforthmariner

I bet this is the case. If I was the EFL i'd  just award the tie to Donny 3-0.

To be fair both Bolton and Bury are a shambles. Every EFL club should be forced to pass a test that they have paid their players and can prove they can fufil their fixtures six weeks out from the season. If they can't do that they should be thrown out.

Do clubs declare \ send to the EFL at the start of every season what their expected transfer \ wage budget, not necessarily the full accounts?  I know it can be fudged (on paper) to make it look like your wage budget is within a specific threshold, based on matchday and non matchday income but that's what i'd do.

is it not as simple as that?
Posted by: Meza, August 20, 2019, 5:40pm; Reply: 17
I definitely cant see them lasting.  However it depends if the EFL follow protocol, or prefer to drag their knuckles.

Not sure how much is involved but is he really in a position to turn down?  I thought the CVA \ administrators accept what they can get and the owner doesn't have a say (or is that when the club goes bust  :-/).

[url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49410172[/url]
Posted by: moosey_club, August 20, 2019, 6:12pm; Reply: 18
Trouble is they have let them start the season now so the EFL are fcked....cancelling their record is one thing but what if the opposition they have played suffered injuries or suspensions that effected their next results.....can of worms...
That's why Bury should he dealt with sooner rather than later.
Posted by: jaygy, August 20, 2019, 7:08pm; Reply: 19
I bet those Bolton lads are as gutted as Doncaster are, they’ll be loving playing league football and they even managed a point at Coventry didn’t they? Tiring them out my backside! They’ll be chomping at the bit to play!
Posted by: forza ivano, August 20, 2019, 11:55pm; Reply: 20
Was there anything to stop Bolton bringing in loan players or non contract players?
Posted by: Hagrid, August 21, 2019, 7:43am; Reply: 21
On bury they’ve been kicked out the Carabao Cup, efl confirming 3 will go down from L1 and the usual 4 from L2 if bury go busy
Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 21, 2019, 12:59pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Les Brechin

But Bury haven't called their games off have they, the league has.

I think technically Bury have called their own games off by not co-operating with the EFL and by failing to provide with the necessary information that all the other 71 clubs in the EFL have (even Bolton's administrators).

The EFL needs to tighten up the rules so that if the same situation arises again in the future it doesn't drag on. Bury should have been thrown out in the summer. The EFL are a bit guilty of "tyre-kicking" with their handling of both Bury & Bolton. They've bent over backwards to accommodate both clubs when they should have been firmer. Gateshead were demoted out of the National League over the summer. I don't know why the EFL is so lenient with clubs who cheat.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 21, 2019, 1:02pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from forza ivano
Was there anything to stop Bolton bringing in loan players or non contract players?

They're in administration.
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 21, 2019, 4:06pm; Reply: 24
A top least Paul Wilkinson's still got an unbeaten record.
Posted by: RonMariner, August 21, 2019, 6:25pm; Reply: 25
Enough is enough. It is becoming a farce now.
Time to end this, Bury should be expelled,

How ironic if their expulsion ends up saving Scunts from relegation!
Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 21, 2019, 6:47pm; Reply: 26
Bolton should face a very, very severe penalty for calling off last night's game. Their excuse was total BS.

The team they picked on Saturday contained 6 players in their 20's. They named 7 substitutes on Saturday- 3 outfield subs didn't play and the 3 who came on played for 22, 15 & 2 minutes each.

They could have picked the 6 senior players & 5 (of the 6) outfield youngsters who started on the bench on Saturday.

What's the issue?

They still haven't been punished for failing to fulfil the Brentford match at the end of last season either. 2nd offence in 5 months.

Oh and I see their manager and his assistant have just resigned. Not looking good for Bolton. Getting the feeling they are on the brink along with Bury.
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 21, 2019, 6:51pm; Reply: 27
Does this mean only one gets relegated out of our league or three get promoted from the Conference?
Posted by: SteffiMariner, August 21, 2019, 7:00pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Mariner_09
Does this mean only one gets relegated out of our league or three get promoted from the Conference?

If Bury go, only one relegation, if Bolton go, too, no relegations out the league.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 21, 2019, 7:20pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from SteffiMariner

If Bury go, only one relegation, if Bolton go, too, no relegations out the league.

Thought it meant fewer teams would go down from League One and still four up from League Two, so no affect on promotion/relegation from/to the National League.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 21, 2019, 7:27pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Thought it meant fewer teams would go down from League One and still four up from League Two, so no affect on promotion/relegation from/to the National League.

Correct, the EFL confirmed this today.

Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 21, 2019, 7:43pm; Reply: 31

Then there would only be 23 teams in League Two next season.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 21, 2019, 7:46pm; Reply: 32
And the EFL statement doesn't mention anything about promotion/relegation between League Two & the National League if Bury were expelled.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 21, 2019, 8:07pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Then there would only be 23 teams in League Two next season.

Not if fewer teams get relegated!

Bury get binned: 3 down 4 up.
Bury and Bolton get binned: 2 down 4 up.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 21, 2019, 8:15pm; Reply: 34

Not if fewer teams get relegated!

Bury get binned: 3 down 4 up.
Bury and Bolton get binned: 2 down 4 up.

No,

There are 24 teams in League Two this season. 4 are promoted to L1. 2 are relegated to NL. That leaves 18. 3 teams are relegated from L1 (with Bury expelled) & 2 promoted from NL. Makes 23.

The EFL have been deliberately vague about League 2 > National League promotion/relegation. Almost like they are contemplating the idea of a 22 team L2 next season if both Bury & Bolton are expelled.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 21, 2019, 9:00pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from GollyGTFC

No,

There are 24 teams in League Two this season. 4 are promoted to L1. 2 are relegated to NL. That leaves 18. 3 teams are relegated from L1 (with Bury expelled) & 2 promoted from NL. Makes 23.

The EFL have been deliberately vague about League 2 > National League promotion/relegation. Almost like they are contemplating the idea of a 22 team L2 next season if both Bury & Bolton are expelled.

Thought you meant League One. Even though you did say League Two, I wasn't properly paying attention.
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 28, 2019, 6:43pm; Reply: 36
Looks like Bolton saved as takeover completed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48906359
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 28, 2019, 7:03pm; Reply: 37
I would assume that for a league to have its numbers reduced it would have to be voted on ( in Portugal) by the clubs themselves, cannot see them agreeing to having less home matches as that will be a reduction in revenue.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 1, 2019, 6:26pm; Reply: 38
BBC stats say their latest 5-0 is the first time a side has lost by 5 goals or more in three consecutive games in 90 years!
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 3, 2019, 10:30am; Reply: 39
Bolton sign NINE players.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49553884
Posted by: marinerdazza, September 3, 2019, 10:32am; Reply: 40
I've also read that the new owners have taken out 2 loans of £20,000,000 each...
Posted by: Ipswin, September 3, 2019, 11:19am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Les Brechin

Daryl Murphy is a useful signing

Posted by: grimsby pete, September 3, 2019, 11:54am; Reply: 42
Quoted from marinerdazza
I've also read that the new owners have taken out 2 loans of £20,000,000 each...

£40 million ?

I hope they can afford the repayments.
Posted by: marinerdazza, September 3, 2019, 1:33pm; Reply: 43
Yep. at 4% and payable in 2022.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 3, 2019, 1:40pm; Reply: 44
That will end well.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, September 3, 2019, 1:47pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from marinerdazza

Again how this is actually allowed by the EFL and how it all passes the test of fit and proper and all that completely and utterly baffles me!

And who on earth lends 2 owners of Bolton 40 million!?!?!?!

Posted by: marinerdazza, September 3, 2019, 2:22pm; Reply: 46
It's all on the priceoffootball twitter feed. Documents and all.

Another question. What if there's 2 points in the league 1 promotion race between Ipswich and Sunderland (for example) on the last game of the season with Ipswich having been virtually given 3 points by playing Bolton when they could barely field a side, and Sunderland having to face a stronger Bolton home and away later in the season?
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, September 3, 2019, 2:43pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from marinerdazza
It's all on the priceoffootball twitter feed. Documents and all.

Another question. What if there's 2 points in the league 1 promotion race between Ipswich and Sunderland (for example) on the last game of the season with Ipswich having been virtually given 3 points by playing Bolton when they could barely field a side, and Sunderland having to face a stronger Bolton home and away later in the season?

Just how it is I guess, tough luck etc. Bit like if sides are playing Scunny at the moment, easy three points for most of them.   ;)

Probably by the time we play them it won't be the same situation.
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 10:10am