Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 16, 2019, 9:11am
Must say I'm impressed that Jolley is signing players on 2 year plus contracts.
Shows he's forward thinking and giving continuity into the following seasons and building a squad for the future.
Plus he seems to have realised what we need to push up this league and has been proactive rather than reactive whilst ensuring he gets the player he wants rather than years gone by when it's been bargain basement, squad filling journeymen.
Loving the mix of experience, youth, quality and team togetherness that he's building which in turn relates back to the title of this thread as players given longer contracts who also live within a commutable distance breeds a happier and more content squad.
Long may it last, UTM and a mariner til I'm 6' under👍
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 16, 2019, 9:15am; Reply: 1

Dare I say it, the board also have to sanction all this so fair play to them   (hide1)
Posted by: ska face, August 16, 2019, 9:32am; Reply: 2
Quoted from promotion plaice

Dare I say it, the board also have to sanction all this so fair play to them   (hide1)

Jesus wept.
Posted by: LH, August 16, 2019, 9:37am; Reply: 3
Huge thanks to the club for employing people.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 16, 2019, 1:55pm; Reply: 4

One swallow does not a summer make
Posted by: golfer, August 16, 2019, 2:34pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

One swallow does not a summer make

No comment required
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 16, 2019, 3:56pm; Reply: 6

If you're Waterfall, you're not likely to move from League 1 to League 2 for anything less, are you?
Posted by: scott_gtfc_89, August 16, 2019, 4:20pm; Reply: 7
Can you see us making anymore signings before the window closes in a few weeks?

Am thinking just maybe a young midfielder on loan who has a creative side to them looking to prove there self and work hard to break into the team, basically like another embo.

Apart from that am happy with that going into next year providing no injuries within the next few weeks. Gives us good depth l.
Posted by: golfer, August 16, 2019, 4:26pm; Reply: 8
Nothing left to spend-that's yer lot-none 'till January-the cupboard is bare-£2-26 left in GTFC account at the Post Office.
Posted by: toontown, August 16, 2019, 5:47pm; Reply: 9
2 year contracts are only impressive if the signing is a good one, they are a risk.
If Welsh hadn't booted some woman (the toe rag) thus allowing the club to kick him out would we be thinking how great it was to still have him signed up as probably the highest paid player at the club for another season? No, that 2 year contract was a big mistake, jolley and the club got lucky there.
This seems a decent signing and worth the 2 year deal but only time will tell.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 16, 2019, 10:04pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from toontown
2 year contracts are only impressive if the signing is a good one, they are a risk.
If Welsh hadn't booted some woman (the toe rag) thus allowing the club to kick him out would we be thinking how great it was to still have him signed up as probably the highest paid player at the club for another season? No, that 2 year contract was a big mistake, jolley and the club got lucky there.
This seems a decent signing and worth the 2 year deal but only time will tell.

Like you say, time will tell, but that was just one negative example.

In fact, there might have been scope to sack Welsh anyway, depending on the terms of his contract. If he didn't declare the impending prosecution, he might have been in breach of contract. Or for bringing the company (club) into disrepute/
Posted by: toontown, August 17, 2019, 9:50am; Reply: 11
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Like you say, time will tell, but that was just one negative example.

In fact, there might have been scope to sack Welsh anyway, depending on the terms of his contract. If he didn't declare the impending prosecution, he might have been in breach of contract. Or for bringing the company (club) into disrepute/

Your point of there may have been other options to sack him due to the charge just reinforce the point we would have been desperate to get rid of our highest earning player, who was shown to be not good enough but had another big earning year on his contract still to go.
It's not a one off, Dixon (also a high earner by all accounts) and Berrett had 2 year contracts that meant we had to pay them to leave or were stuck with them. Sam Kelly too (a 2 year deal for Kelly- how!?)
I am not against 2 year deals at All, but this thread seemed to imply they were automatically a good thing - they aren't, it depends from player to player and the club's circumstances. Promotion can mean players are no longer good enough for the new level (I would definitely accept that risk with delight!) Relegation can mean wages become unaffordable at the lower level (altho relegation clauses can be written in).
Obviously 2 year deals can work out great too such as dembele, hessenthaler, Hendrie etc who we made money off or wanted to keep. The 3 year deal for Clifton seems very sensible so far.
I just wanted to introduce a bit of balance.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 17, 2019, 10:30am; Reply: 12
It's a difficult balance between  getting it very wrong or very right. I'd  say a year with an option is best if there's any doubt BUT there's always the chance someone will offer the 2 year deal and we miss out.

Conclusion: it's a lottery
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 17, 2019, 11:32am; Reply: 13
Toontown, Welsh didn’t have that long on the pitch with us so it’s hard to say whether giving him two years of was a bad thing. And his mind was probably on other things that were bound to affect his performance.
Posted by: toontown, August 17, 2019, 11:32am; Reply: 14
Absolutely swansea
Posted by: toontown, August 17, 2019, 11:39am; Reply: 15
He was definitely way past it, obvious whenever he stepped on to the pitch, apart from shoring up defensively for the last 10 mins or so when we were leading and under the cosh with little possesion. hence why he got so very little game time.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 17, 2019, 11:51am; Reply: 16
Two year deals definitely help with transition and stability from one season to the next and I guess attract a better level of talent who are based or move close to the area.

Fine balance though as the squad feels thinner so injuries could hurt us more.

Though I still think we’re a couple short I think from what I’ve seen that MJ has improved us and is now playing to the strengths of the players rather than the players playing to a system.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 17, 2019, 1:59pm; Reply: 17
There seems to be a mix of things going on with the squad composition compared to previous years.  In recent years the young pro's seemed more like additional numbers on top of the squad whereas Jolley appears to see them as actual options, we ain't seen that since Buckly III.

Thinking of the massive squads we've had in the recent past we've had some right donkeys on the pitch let alone multiple senior players sat in the stands, not even in the matchday squad! I mean given how poorly  some of these players have performed it just seems a folley to warehouse so many shite players incase we get injuries.  

Rather we give the young  lads an opportunity to fill the gaps as and when necessary and have a real quality core of senior players.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 12:55am