Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Fishy clapper, August 15, 2019, 12:32pm
Big Sol leaves Macclesfield after 8 months
Posted by: jaygy, August 15, 2019, 12:32pm; Reply: 1
Parted company by mutual consent, seems they were doing well so I wonder what’s gone on there. Maybe he feels his superior football brain is wasted there?
Posted by: Heisenberg, August 15, 2019, 12:34pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Fishy clapper

I’m gonna stick up for him here. I think he’s a good bloke, potentially a very good manager, and he’s been let down by Macc who are a shambles. He deserves better.
Posted by: Heisenberg, August 15, 2019, 12:35pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from jaygy
Parted company by mutual consent, seems they were doing well so I wonder what’s gone on there. Maybe he feels his superior football brain is wasted there?

I’d imagine he’s sick and tired of the club not paying the players.
Posted by: scott_gtfc_89, August 15, 2019, 12:39pm; Reply: 4
I remember him reportedly saying at the end of last season that he will stay with the club as long as they sort there off field problems out and players get paid, also there own training ground or something,

Guessing none of this has changed and enough is enough.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, August 15, 2019, 12:42pm; Reply: 5
Maybe a club currently struggling at the bottom of league two have tapped him up  ;D
Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 15, 2019, 12:51pm; Reply: 6
I imagine he's had enough of him and his players not getting paid on time and general promises not being kept. Sol won't be unemployed long. His achievement last season will make him the ideal candidate for the first League Two (or maybe higher) club that pulls the trigger this season and need "rescuing". Or maybe Leyton Orient might be interested. I think their defeat at Sol's Macc Town might be a bit of an eye opener for them and their wait and see approach with Ross Embleton as interim Head Coach.
Posted by: RonMariner, August 15, 2019, 12:54pm; Reply: 7
He kept them up. Few of us thought he would do that.
Posted by: Hagrid, August 15, 2019, 12:57pm; Reply: 8
Did a great job dont blame him for leaving the clubs a mess
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 15, 2019, 1:04pm; Reply: 9
He certainly learned the hard way about management in the basement but I would be surprised if this was as simple as it looks. More than likely he will have a Plan B.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 15, 2019, 1:07pm; Reply: 10
His exploits last season mean he won't have to wait as long for another chance.

The players he's managing have bills to pay and if promises haven't been met regards payments, it must be hard to motivate those players.
Posted by: marinerdazza, August 15, 2019, 1:19pm; Reply: 11
He deserves better. I hope he gets it.
Posted by: grimps, August 15, 2019, 1:22pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Maybe a club currently struggling at the bottom of league two have tapped him up  ;D

I thought Barca would be after him by now , after all he has a greatest football brain in English football
Posted by: ivanosandwich, August 15, 2019, 1:27pm; Reply: 13
Seems a coincidence, just after we drew them in the League Cup.

Grim Reaper?
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 15, 2019, 1:39pm; Reply: 14
To be fair he has proved he can manage a club at this level.
Granted we don’t know what he is capable of at a well run club with a decent budget.
But he has more right now to expect to get on an interview list, than he ever had before.
If he has sorted his attitude out, then good luck to him.

But more importantly,   How does this count in the buster Les ??
Not really a sacking is it ????
Posted by: rancido, August 15, 2019, 1:43pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Civvy at last
Granted we don’t know what he is capable of at a well run club with a decent budget.
But he has more right now to expect to get on an interview list, than he ever had before.

Constructive dismissal ?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, August 15, 2019, 1:54pm; Reply: 16
Unpopular opinion, but did a great job there last season, and a great win against Leyton Orient last weekend.

Don't think he will struggle as much to get his next job.
Posted by: Abdul19, August 15, 2019, 2:08pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Unpopular opinion, but did a great job there last season, and a great win against Leyton Orient last weekend.

Don't think he will struggle as much to get his next job.

But the opinion of everyone else on this thread!
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, August 15, 2019, 2:08pm; Reply: 18
Think he now has earned more respect than that given to him in this thread title. Took over the lowest team in the football league who were seven points adrift and whose players did not get paid for the last two months of the playing season and still they survived.

Unlike Gerrard, Lampard and now Rooney he was not given the chance at well established pretty wealthy clubs with friends at clubs like Chelsea & Liverpool loaning you quality young players but went in at the toughest place and succeeded.

Should be congratulated not insulted and maybe you should think more before post number eleven leaves your keyboard.

Hope he gets another gig soon proved a number of us wrong
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 15, 2019, 2:16pm; Reply: 19

I've already said on the actual buster thread that I don't think this qualifys as the first team to sack their manager as although it's reported as by a "mutual agreement" it appears that Sol was probably more behind the decision to walk than Macc were as I understand that he hasn't been paid for months.
Posted by: RichMariner, August 15, 2019, 2:19pm; Reply: 20
He worked hard to find an opportunity where he could prove he had management skills.

He's done that - at 4th division level at least - so I imagine he'll find his next opportunity easier to find.

He's an odd bloke but clearly got some management talent. Good luck to him.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 15, 2019, 2:20pm; Reply: 21
Like many others I felt his appointment was a disaster waiting to happen but he rolled his sleeves up and survived against the odds.

Some trigger happy chairmen could start pulling the trigger by the end of the month; including Mr Swann down the road if results don't pick up soon. Assuming he wants it, he won't be waiting long for another job and wouldn't be surprised to see him rock up at Orient.
Posted by: topuphere666, August 15, 2019, 2:34pm; Reply: 22
They were a very good side last season at our place, it seemed they had twice as many players on the pitch. They were well drilled and looked fitter than us. He’s shown he can do the job and will get another go soon enough
Posted by: Rick12, August 15, 2019, 4:01pm; Reply: 23
Sorry to see him leave league 2 management. Hope he gets a club soon.

Posted by: Rick12, August 15, 2019, 4:02pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from topuphere666
They were a very good side last season at our place, it seemed they had twice as many players on the pitch. They were well drilled and looked fitter than us. He’s shown he can do the job and will get another go soon enough
He brought in a few of his ex England teammates to help as well.I imagine the wow factor would have helped as well eg the players looking up to him.

Posted by: Rick12, August 15, 2019, 4:21pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Heisenberg

I’m gonna stick up for him here. I think he’s a good bloke, potentially a very good manager, and he’s been let down by Macc who are a shambles. He deserves better.
I second that .Remember speaking to a ex professional and they said the same.He knew people who knew him and he was meant to be a nice person.
Posted by: MarinerRob, August 15, 2019, 5:00pm; Reply: 26
I also didn't think he would do any good. However, I'e changed my mind on that and admire him for what he did and the way he went about it. I thought he would have left during the close season

I also didn't think Steve Gerrard and Frank Lampard would do any good but they surprised me as well. Although, they do have connections with clubs with better players to loan
Posted by: golfer, August 15, 2019, 6:06pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Fishy clapper

19 red x's  Have i missed something ?
Posted by: Perkins, August 15, 2019, 6:43pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from golfer

19 red x's  Have i missed something ?

Yes, it's been merged due to the original thread title being somewhat derogatory to Campbell.
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, August 15, 2019, 7:52pm; Reply: 29
Not wholly surprising, cannot imagine a guy as ambitious as Sol sticking around at a club like Macc for long in any case. Add in the off the field situation it was probably only a matter of time.

I think he did a good job to keep them up last season, but he was helped greatly by Yeovil imploding and Notts being the biggest laughing stock in English football last season. Think this season it is going to be much tighter at the bottom of our division as so far no obvious signs of a basket case...oh wait Scun....  ;D
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 15, 2019, 10:35pm; Reply: 30
Daily Mail (I know) are reporting that Sol got down to the final 2 for the Tahgers job.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 16, 2019, 11:54pm; Reply: 31

Huddersfield have sacked their manager tonight.

Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 7:53am