Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Non Football  /  
Posted by: LH, August 11, 2019, 11:51pm
Anybody got one?

We usually go somewhere a bit more upmarket than we usually go for our tea on a Sunday on holiday and traded slumming it in Puerto del Carmen for the quieter Puerto Calero on Lanzarote tonight. On our walk around the marina afterwards we saw a sailing yacht with Grimsby written underneath the boats name. Anyone else seen anything unexpected?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 12, 2019, 11:57am; Reply: 1
One of the teachers at my daughters’ school in New Malden is from Grimsby.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, August 12, 2019, 12:20pm; Reply: 2
When I was in the Royal Navy (around 1990) we was on a Mediterranean tour for 5 months and whilst docked in Brindisi (Italy) I saw a lorry from Grimsby, it was parked up on the dock side.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 13, 2019, 9:34am; Reply: 3
At our surgery my doctor is from China but one of the others is from Grimsby.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 13, 2019, 1:06pm; Reply: 4
I remember a few years ago staying at a remote(ish) holiday site location in France ( near to Compiegne/Soissons)

While out for a walk in this quiet countryside with the (ex)wife and kids, we came across a massive Town flag flying in the breeze next to one of the holiday homes

I guess it's probably not uncommon going to a popular holiday destination, say on the Med, and to see some Town paraphernalia, but to just see this flag, flying proudly, in a field in a remote part of France was quite a sight. Made me feel quite proud to be associated with our home town  :)
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, August 16, 2019, 10:37am; Reply: 5
On a Ski trip a few years back now we was in a place in Italy called Sauze d'Oulx , out in the evening one night I believe I had a Town top on and the Dj in this place we was in low and behold was a Town fan!

I remember hearing this MAAAAARINERS MAAAAARINERS look over to where its coming from and the Dj lifts up his T-shirt to reveal the town badge tattooed on his upper arm!!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 28, 2019, 10:52am; Reply: 6
Not meeting anyone:  however, in the 1960s, a mate went to Scandinavia.  He came back with a little noddy nightcap and tassel with Grimsby Town embroiled on it in big letters.  No idea why this should have been produced with our name on it?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 30, 2019, 5:53pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
I remember a few years ago staying at a remote(ish) holiday site location in France ( near to Compiegne/Soissons)

While out for a walk in this quiet countryside with the (ex)wife and kids, we came across a massive Town flag flying in the breeze next to one of the holiday homes

I guess it's probably not uncommon going to a popular holiday destination, say on the Med, and to see some Town paraphernalia, but to just see this flag, flying proudly, in a field in a remote part of France was quite a sight. Made me feel quite proud to be associated with our home town  :)

Sad that after posting this, some poor young kid from Hull drowned at the place I'd mentioned    RIP  :B
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 13, 2019, 8:14pm; Reply: 8

Sad that after posting this, some poor young kid from Hull drowned at the place I'd mentioned    RIP  :B

Yes I saw that about the poor lad Tim we have stayed at that campsite a few times.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 16, 2019, 5:37pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from grimsby pete

Yes I saw that about the poor lad Tim we have stayed at that campsite a few times.

It's quite a lovely spot as well there Pete... going to be remembered now for all the wrong reasons for one poor family
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 18, 2019, 8:57pm; Reply: 10

It's quite a lovely spot as well there Pete... going to be remembered now for all the wrong reasons for one poor family

Yes agree, one year when we were there the 2 granddaughters and I went for a swim in the pool while the wife got dinner ready. There was a almighty storm  that came from nowhere and one lady was killed by a fallen tree in a nearby town we took refuge in the pool bar.
After it calmed down the wife came to pick us up in our car and when we got back to the caravan we could see all the crop in the field behind the caravan was totally flattened.  A scary 30 mins or so.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 19, 2019, 1:17pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from grimsby pete

Yes agree, one year when we were there the 2 granddaughters and I went for a swim in the pool while the wife got dinner ready. There was a almighty storm  that came from nowhere and one lady was killed by a fallen tree in a nearby town we took refuge in the pool bar.
After it calmed down the wife came to pick us up in our car and when we got back to the caravan we could see all the crop in the field behind the caravan was totally flattened.  A scary 30 mins or so.

Sounds it Pete.... all in all you never know your luck do you?  :-/
Posted by: Welwynmariner, October 20, 2019, 9:52am; Reply: 12
My son was in Cairo once and went into the bar in a hotel and there was another British person who happened to be from Grimsby.

When my son said I was from Cleethorpes and that he had been to Blundell Park the guy disbelieved him and he had to frantically remember the teams that he had seen - evidently Clive Mendonca was the first name he could come up with and he found he could still sing "Sing when we're fishing".

The rest of the people in the bar were evidently bemused
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 22, 2019, 10:49pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Welwynmariner
My son was in Cairo once and went into the bar in a hotel and there was another British person who happened to be from Grimsby.

When my son said I was from Cleethorpes and that he had been to Blundell Park the guy disbelieved him and he had to frantically remember the teams that he had seen - evidently Clive Mendonca was the first name he could come up with and he found he could still sing "Sing when we're fishing".

The rest of the people in the bar were evidently bemused

The fact your son had heard of Cleethorpes and knew where it was should have convinced him  ;D
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 7, 2019, 9:08pm; Reply: 14
Apparently, on a large rock in the middle of the Atacama desert in Chile is scrawled the legend "Bobby Cummings eats Yorkies"
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 7, 2019, 9:13pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from jock dock tower
Apparently, on a large rock in the middle of the Atacama desert in Chile is scrawled the legend "Bobby Cummings eats Yorkies"

Didn't he also do something to Nazis/Klaus Barbie? Or am I misrembering something from SWWF?
Print page generated: May 1, 2024, 10:09pm