Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 5, 2019, 4:32pm
Can't get my head around it, football's gone mad.

What an obscene amount of money.

What on earth could Town do with the money being spent on 1 player?
Posted by: RexFannies, August 5, 2019, 4:55pm; Reply: 1
What I find amazing is that Leicester could afford to turn it down if they wanted. Not a dig at Leicester but just shows you how much money is knocking around the prem.
Posted by: N2K, August 5, 2019, 4:59pm; Reply: 2
Crazy money now. Turning into Monopoly money. Just seen Bournemouth have valued Nathan Ake at £75m! That is around 43% the value of Bournemouth FC itself. Scary.
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, August 5, 2019, 5:09pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Les Brechin

Football as we knew it is dead at the top level. Think Hull had a 15% sell on as well!

Hope the other 14 PL clubs fans enjoy the race for 7th place this season, sure will be a thrilling ride as they watch their team play the usual 4-6-0 formation and still Man City will win 3-0 easily.

Posted by: GtfcGarner, August 5, 2019, 5:12pm; Reply: 4
It would suit us down to the ground say if we sold Max Wright for example to a Premier League club for £500k or so + 25% of the next deal. A few successful loans and he gets into the first team and makes a success they sell him for £20m we get £5m. Albeit not likely but you never know.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 5, 2019, 5:35pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from GtfcGarner
It would suit us down to the ground say if we sold Max Wright for example to a Premier League club for £500k or so + 25% of the next deal. A few successful loans and he gets into the first team and makes a success they sell him for £20m we get £5m. Albeit not likely but you never know.

That would be great! If he went to Peterborough like a lot of young, lower league talent for £500k with a 25% sell on before going to the Premier League for say £5m, we would get £1.125m as it is 25% of profit. Assuming Peterborough put in a 25% sell on clause and he then fetches £30m we would get a further £1.5m (25% of Peterborough's 25%).

With the money floating around it isn't unfeasible that one of our products lands us a healthy sum in a few years given a bit of good fortune.
Posted by: pizzzza, August 5, 2019, 5:45pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from jamesgtfc

With the money floating around it isn't unfeasible that one of our products lands us a healthy sum in a few years given a bit of good fortune.

Or "Football fortune"  ;)
Posted by: Ipswin, August 5, 2019, 5:46pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from jamesgtfc

That would be great! If he went to Peterborough like a lot of young, lower league talent for £500k with a 25% sell on before going to the Premier League for say £5m, we would get £1.125m as it is 25% of profit. Assuming Peterborough put in a 25% sell on clause and he then fetches £30m we would get a further £1.5m (25% of Peterborough's 25%).

Assuming of course that Barry Fry doesn't talk Fenty out of the sell on clause for £5 and a can of paint for the Main Stand

Posted by: hheh2, August 5, 2019, 6:55pm; Reply: 8
How much money have we made from Bogle? Wigan and Cardiff
Posted by: psgmariner, August 5, 2019, 7:04pm; Reply: 9
I remember the same sort of conversations when Andy Cole went to newcastle. Probably the same when Trevor Francis went for a million as well.
Posted by: jock dock tower, August 5, 2019, 7:15pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Les Brechin

In reply to your original question, Les, we could pay off the "benign loans" and still have 22.5 pence left in the bank for re-investment?

Posted by: Abdul19, August 5, 2019, 7:15pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Do you get a sell on on a sell on?
Posted by: Abdul19, August 5, 2019, 7:16pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from hheh2

Naff all from that move I think, as they only paid what Wigan did.
Posted by: golfer, August 5, 2019, 7:22pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from hheh2

All  "undisclosed "
Posted by: LH, August 5, 2019, 7:23pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Ipswin

Assuming of course that Barry Fry doesn't talk Fenty out of the sell on clause for £5 and a can of paint for the Main Stand

That’s unfair. Fry negotiated out of it by offering us a friendly so we could generate some income that way. And then offered free tickets for it to (just about the only people who bother with them) season ticket holders. 🤦‍♂️
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 5, 2019, 7:33pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Abdul19

Do you get a sell on on a sell on?

Yes as it all constitutes towards the fee received until there is a break in the chain such as the player being released.

Wigan made no profit on Bogle. If they have a sell on clause there is a possibility we could get a bit more but I doubt it.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 5, 2019, 7:37pm; Reply: 16
The good part of the Maguire deal is that the money actually stays in the English game. Most of the other PL deals this summer have been the equivalent of money laundering to foreign leagues. But the worst culprits are now in the Championship. Teams like Leeds and Norwich are buying in middling foreigners.
Posted by: jock dock tower, August 5, 2019, 8:03pm; Reply: 17
Norwich are in the Premiership, Ron!
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 5, 2019, 8:29pm; Reply: 18
I see Dull are set to receive £9.4m as part of the Maguire to Utd deal and Sheff Utd will get £500k...not bad and you can see why sell on clauses are so important in today's market!
Posted by: Rik e B, August 5, 2019, 8:36pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from LH

That’s unfair. Fry negotiated out of it by offering us a friendly so we could generate some income that way. And then offered free tickets for it to (just about the only people who bother with them) season ticket holders. 🤦‍♂️

Not being funny but a friendly with Peterborough hardly whets the appetite to bring in vast swathes of additional income. I'm sure we could organise a friendly with somebody else from their division without forfeiting a release clause.
Posted by: Rik e B, August 5, 2019, 8:37pm; Reply: 20
Fry - savvy
Fenty -?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 5, 2019, 8:40pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from jock dock tower
Norwich are in the Premiership, Ron!

Aw shucks! Someone noticed! ;D I was only a year out.

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 5, 2019, 11:02pm; Reply: 22
Bury were bought for a £1.    So the value of 80 million clubs equals one ex Hull City player!
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, August 5, 2019, 11:49pm; Reply: 23
Its £40 million for Maguire and another £40 million to keep smalling and Jones on the bench  ;D
Posted by: Abdul19, August 6, 2019, 5:45am; Reply: 24
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Yes as it all constitutes towards the fee received until there is a break in the chain such as the player being released.

Good stuff, I didn't know that.

I'm still waiting for Walsall to sell Darren Wrack.
Posted by: Abdul19, August 6, 2019, 5:45am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Rik e B
Fry - savvy
Fenty -?

(Rare positive JF post)

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2012/november/club-announces-profit/
Posted by: Maringer, August 6, 2019, 11:47am; Reply: 26
The good part of the Maguire deal is that the money actually stays in the English game.

Well, the Americans have paid some good money to the Thais, at the very least. How much will be 're-invested', I wonder?
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, August 6, 2019, 12:32pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from N2K
Crazy money now. Turning into Monopoly money. Just seen Bournemouth have valued Nathan Ake at £75m! That is around 43% the value of Bournemouth FC itself. Scary.

It's the knock on. Ake was probably valued at 20-30 million last week but now he can be valued based on how much Maguire went for. Bog standard fellas who have played a few games in the Premier League can expect 10-20 million on their heads these days. Absolute madness, especially when coupled with lower league teams going to the wall at the same time.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 6, 2019, 7:27pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Maringer

Well, the Americans have paid some good money to the Thais, at the very least. How much will be 're-invested', I wonder?

Leicester are said to be interested in players at Burnley and Bournemouth as replacements.

Posted by: grimsby pete, August 6, 2019, 7:47pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Abdul19

Good stuff, I didn't know that.

I'm still waiting for Walsall to sell Darren Wrack.

If I  remember we had Darren and let him go for free then paid 100 grand to get him back then let him go for free again only at gtfc😊
Posted by: Maringer, August 6, 2019, 9:09pm; Reply: 30

Leicester are said to be interested in players at Burnley and Bournemouth as replacements.

Ah, some Englishmen involved somewhere, then. Along with the Russians. I do wonder just how much money some of these wealthy foreigners stand to make from the clubs. We've heard about it from the big clubs such as Manyoo, Liverpool and Arsenal but with the amount of money swilling around now, I'm sure some of the smaller clubs owners are thinking about cashing in somehow.
Posted by: Rick12, August 7, 2019, 8:20am; Reply: 31
Good on Harry Maguire .Works hard and always shows passion when he plays.As a manager thats the sort of player I would love to sign.
Posted by: Maringer, August 7, 2019, 8:27am; Reply: 32
I just hope he cuts out the embarrassing dives we saw on one or two occasions last summer.

Otherwise, a good defender who is better with the ball at his feet than many of them. Absolutely ridiculous money, however.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 7, 2019, 9:13am; Reply: 33
Footballers are like houses. They are worth what someone is willing to pay, and the football transfer market has exploded, just as house prices have over recent years.
Posted by: Rick12, August 7, 2019, 10:08am; Reply: 34
Quoted from Maringer
I just hope he cuts out the embarrassing dives we saw on one or two occasions last summer.

Otherwise, a good defender who is better with the ball at his feet than many of them. Absolutely ridiculous money, however.

Probably overvalued your right.I think if you compare him to other elite defenders there are others that would be above Maguire eg Rio Ferdinand for one. Absolute class in him prime .
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 7, 2019, 11:12am; Reply: 35
And yet both times Rio Ferdinand went for big money similar eyebrows were raised regards the fee.
Posted by: Rick12, August 7, 2019, 1:36pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from diehardmariner
And yet both times Rio Ferdinand went for big money similar eyebrows were raised regards the fee.
I think though Rio is more deserving of a top fee though say than Maguire.

Posted by: diehardmariner, August 7, 2019, 2:06pm; Reply: 37
I don't disagree if we're asking who the better player was.  Ferdinand, who I found quite dislikable when interviewed, was a pure Rolls-Royce of a defender.  Especially at a time when the English game had so few defenders who could bring the ball out at their feet.

Maguire is of an age when all defenders are expected to be able to bring the ball out and do far more than just defend.  I like Maguire but he's not outstanding like a Van Dijk.  

But he's only a victim of what the market demands.  He's a mainstay in supposedly one of the best national sides in the world.  You can probably add £15-20million onto his price tag because he's English.  Then another £10-15million because Man Utd are seen as cash cows for prospective sellers at the minute simply because they badly need quality additions.  

I'm not sure the actual figure matters that much at the top level, it's just telephone numbers.  It won't be long before a defender goes for over £100million.
Posted by: Meza, August 7, 2019, 6:57pm; Reply: 38
Clubs will know what tv money they get from the PL and are obviously using that to get a key player or 2, and Leicester know they can afford it. I think most people know the area that they need strengthening (defense) so I think Leicester have done well out of this, after all they are not desperate to sell I wouldn't think.
Posted by: Meza, August 7, 2019, 7:05pm; Reply: 39
I think some clubs like Burnley for instance, you don't always see their transfer activity in the news, maybe not in the last few seasons, well not that I have noticed.  They might have made some odd 10-20 mill signing but most probably be saving it up making a profit or use it to sign key players, obviously they will be limited to the big names they can attract.  I think although clubs may be able to afford the transfer fee, I think Burnley would be able to sign someone like Zaha from Palace for....lets say 80mill (based on tv money etc from PL) but its then the wages that seems to be getting ridiculous.  I doubt Zaha would move to Burnley anyway (not disrespect to Burnley).
Posted by: LH, August 7, 2019, 7:39pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Rick12
I think though Rio is more deserving of a top fee though say than Maguire.

Are you saying this viewing Rio’s career after it had finished though? There’s no reason why* Maguire can’t go on to have similar success as Rio did having made the step up. He’s got plenty of time and his peak to reach yet.

*there’s about a thousand reasons why but mainly because United are done for the next five possibly ten years: lightyears behind City and a fair way behind Liverpool and Tottenham too. All things considered I think it’s an odd move for Maguire to make because Leicester could have challenged United for the top six this season.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 7, 2019, 7:55pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Meza
Clubs will know what tv money they get from the PL and are obviously using that to get a key player or 2, and Leicester know they can afford it. I think most people know the area that they need strengthening (defense) so I think Leicester have done well out of this, after all they are not desperate to sell I wouldn't think.

When Aon paid something like £180m to sponsor the training facilities/ kit and Chevrolet $500 + m for the shirt sponsorship then Man Utd will hardly notice the money has gone out of the bank.  
Posted by: Rick12, August 8, 2019, 7:33am; Reply: 42
Quoted from LH

Are you saying this viewing Rio’s career after it had finished though? There’s no reason why* Maguire can’t go on to have similar success as Rio did having made the step up. He’s got plenty of time and his peak to reach yet.

I think Rio is the more naturally gifted player.

Posted by: Rik e B, August 8, 2019, 9:44am; Reply: 43
I can see Leicester being more of a force than Manure in coming years. Mancs to go to sh!t yet again with Ole sacked soon, maybe if get Poch in might pick up but the whole heirachy with Deadwood Woodward in control of signings is a mess. Was meant to be having a clear out but most the prima Donna space wasters still remain.

Maguire said he wanted to win trophies, Manure in the doldrums that not likely soon
Posted by: RonMariner, August 9, 2019, 10:59am; Reply: 44
Quoted from Rik e B
I can see Leicester being more of a force than Manure in coming years. Mancs to go to sh!t yet again with Ole sacked soon, maybe if get Poch in might pick up but the whole heirachy with Deadwood Woodward in control of signings is a mess. Was meant to be having a clear out but most the prima Donna space wasters still remain.

Maguire said he wanted to win trophies, Manure in the doldrums that not likely soon

Given the state of their current squad, it's hard to see them finishing in the top four. They are miles behind Man City and Liverpool, and both Chelsea and Spurs look stronger. They may be scrapping with Arsenal for fifth place and Europa League qualification.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 9:50am