Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: gtfc98, August 1, 2019, 4:02pm
Been told that we're signing him today, anyone else heard this?
Posted by: cjbill, August 1, 2019, 4:11pm; Reply: 1
It's already on wiki so must be true https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Waterfall
Posted by: marinerdazza, August 1, 2019, 4:21pm; Reply: 2
Only the usual rumours on twitter. Given he's one year into a three year contract at Shrews, I can't see this somehow. Happy to be wrong.
Posted by: hheh2, August 1, 2019, 4:21pm; Reply: 3
No
Posted by: OllieGTFC, August 1, 2019, 4:25pm; Reply: 4
Lincoln won’t like that 😂
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 1, 2019, 4:33pm; Reply: 5
Have we caught Lincolnitis?
Posted by: quebec38, August 1, 2019, 4:53pm; Reply: 6
In true ITK fashion, I can’t reveal my source however they do work for Lincoln. I posted it here on Sunday as I was told it was happening Monday so I’m guessing there is something to it if more people are now hearing the same name. I was also told at the time Bradford had been in the running to which I said he wouldn’t come here but the source was adamant he will.

Would be a fantastic signing IMO, he is worthy of playing at the top of League 2.
Posted by: Rik e B, August 1, 2019, 5:00pm; Reply: 7
We'll just have to go with the flow on this one.
Posted by: Meza, August 1, 2019, 5:42pm; Reply: 8
It'll be a loan if true
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 1, 2019, 6:26pm; Reply: 9
All water under the bridge already.
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 1, 2019, 6:49pm; Reply: 10
Is he worth chasing?
Posted by: Peeler_Crab, August 1, 2019, 7:18pm; Reply: 11
If he does sign, he'll be "Free from the filth and the scum"
Posted by: moosey_club, August 1, 2019, 7:33pm; Reply: 12
i think there is something behind this....
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 1, 2019, 9:01pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from moosey_club
i think there is something behind this....

The up the mariners twitter account is tweeting cryptic waterfall clues. This might have some legs as whoever is behind that has nailed every signing before anyone else has released it.
Posted by: Davec, August 1, 2019, 9:21pm; Reply: 14
I would love this to be true but I fail to see why Shrewsbury would allow somebody who has played over 40 games last season in league 1 leave? Likewise why would he go to league 2? I can only assume he's unsettled there and he wishes to move back to Lincolnshire area?
Posted by: RonMariner, August 1, 2019, 9:24pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Davec
I would love this to be true but I fail to see why Shrewsbury would allow somebody who has played over 40 games last season in league 1 leave? Likewise why would he go to league 2? I can only assume he's unsettled there and he wishes to move back to Lincolnshire area?

Who knows, maybe we have pushed the boat out a little on the wages front to tempt him?
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 1, 2019, 9:31pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from headingly_mariner

The up the mariners twitter account is tweeting cryptic waterfall clues. This might have some legs as whoever is behind that has nailed every signing before anyone else has released it.

I’ll p1ss myself laughing if it’s Nathan Pond  !!
Posted by: Stadium, August 1, 2019, 9:36pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Peeler_Crab
If he does sign, he'll be "Free from the filth and the scum"

So good to have equalised.

Posted by: promotion plaice, August 1, 2019, 9:37pm; Reply: 18

Could be another Joey Waters   :)
Posted by: chaos33, August 1, 2019, 9:48pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Stadium

So good to have equalised.

If we sign him in time for Saturday’s game he’ll soon to be put to the test; to be whipped by the winds of the west.
🙂
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 1, 2019, 10:53pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from arryarryarry
Is he worth chasing?

Please stick to the rivers and the lakes you are used to 🤦🏻‍♂️
Posted by: scrumble, August 1, 2019, 11:07pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Please stick to the rivers and the lakes you are used to 🤦🏻‍♂️

I think he has injury problems, but with a little TLC he should be okay

Posted by: The Yard Dog, August 1, 2019, 11:14pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from scrumble

I think he has injury problems, but with a little TLC he should be okay

Played 155 games scoring 20 goal between 2015 - to date, that averages out at about 39 games per season, over the last 4 seasons.
Posted by: Abdul19, August 1, 2019, 11:27pm; Reply: 23
Something about a left eye problem
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 1, 2019, 11:40pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Abdul19
Something about a left eye problem

Who said that? 8)
Posted by: bobbyturtle, August 1, 2019, 11:47pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from arryarryarry

Who said that? 8)

didnt see that one coming
Posted by: Rik e B, August 2, 2019, 12:45am; Reply: 26
I've got my eye on you
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 2, 2019, 1:49am; Reply: 27
He's not a patch on Gabrielle (batistuta)
Posted by: Spidey, August 2, 2019, 2:02am; Reply: 28
Could we get him on a free as we "ain't 2 proud 2 beg"
Posted by: golfer, August 2, 2019, 7:34am; Reply: 29
Can't see him going anywhere. Played just about every match last year-middle of a contract-doesn't need experience-not surplus to requirements at Shrews.  As Trump would say............
Posted by: Davec, August 2, 2019, 7:50am; Reply: 30
Quoted from golfer
Can't see him going anywhere. Played just about every match last year-middle of a contract-doesn't need experience-not surplus to requirements at Shrews.  As Trump would say............

That is what I'm thinking, only explanation I can think off is that he's unsettled in Shropshire and wants to come back to Lincolnshire area
Posted by: Maringer, August 2, 2019, 8:35am; Reply: 31
Perhaps he just really, really loves fish and chips and is willing to take a hefty pay cut whilst dropping down a division so he can eat them every day?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 2, 2019, 8:39am; Reply: 32
Quoted from golfer

.....we’re gonna build a wall, a beautiful wall, and we’re gonna make the Mexicans pay for it?
Posted by: denni266, August 2, 2019, 9:19am; Reply: 33
Quoted from KingstonMariner

.....we’re gonna build a wall, a beautiful wall, and we’re gonna make the Mexicans pay for it?

Can we get them to pay for our new ground ?  ;D
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, August 2, 2019, 9:22am; Reply: 34
and build it  :)
Posted by: jaygy, August 2, 2019, 10:04am; Reply: 35
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
and build it  :)

They are great at fitting carpets, especially fitting the underlay underlay
Posted by: Davec, August 2, 2019, 11:38am; Reply: 36
So is he signing then?
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), August 2, 2019, 11:47am; Reply: 37
Very very quiet at the Club isn’t it??!! Maybe they are having to re-jiggle the accounts after the hefty fine!!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 2, 2019, 2:18pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from 1542
Very very quiet at the Club isn’t it??!! Maybe they are having to re-jiggle the accounts after the hefty fine!!

It's the payroll dept that should be busy giving him his p45
Posted by: Stew0_0, August 2, 2019, 2:36pm; Reply: 39
Can give our defence a little more 'TLC'...........

..... they sung a song called waterfalls.  I'll get me coat  :P
Posted by: Rik e B, August 2, 2019, 3:10pm; Reply: 40
I expect this one to keep running.
Posted by: Helgy, August 2, 2019, 4:56pm; Reply: 41
Waterfall great player ,full on defender ,scores a few , great bloke but no stealing his song off us though.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 2, 2019, 7:28pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Helgy
Waterfall great player ,full on defender ,scores a few , great bloke but no stealing his song off us though.

Yeah but can you see him coming to us?, Really can't see it myself,  suspect this is more conjecture than anywhere near reality...
Anyway, see how it goes for you Gimps, finally rid yourself of pie eating Fatty Rhead....
Posted by: Meza, August 2, 2019, 7:40pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Yeah but can you see him coming to us?, Really can't see it myself,  suspect this is more conjecture than anywhere near reality...
Anyway, see how it goes for you Gimps, finally rid yourself of pie eating Fatty Rhead....

yeah and signed Tyler Walker as his replacement  (mellow)
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 3, 2019, 1:42pm; Reply: 44
John Tondeur
@JohnTondeur
·
11m
Hearing that #gtfc are close to signing centre back Luke Waterfall from Shrewsbury

From Twitter
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 3, 2019, 2:07pm; Reply: 45
Would be a terrific signing if we pull it off!!
Posted by: Peeler_Crab, August 3, 2019, 3:49pm; Reply: 46
He's not in Shrewsburys squad today...
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 3, 2019, 4:01pm; Reply: 47
All downhill with players like him.  No "ups".
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 3, 2019, 4:08pm; Reply: 48
If he comes John Tondeur' s commentary could be " Town on the attack, the opposition have been told to not go chasing Waterfalls"
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, August 3, 2019, 5:17pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Meza

yeah and signed Tyler Walker as his replacement  (mellow)

Great signing, thought that might happen but hoping it wouldn't. He bought a house off the company I work for. He said he was going on loan to a L1 club.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 3, 2019, 9:42pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
All downhill with players like him.  No "ups".

But it’s a white water ride
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 3, 2019, 11:05pm; Reply: 51
Seems to be a bit of a marmite player. Some like him some can't wait to get rid.

http://blueandamber.proboards.com/thread/99437/luke-waterfall-grimsby-bound
Posted by: Rik e B, August 3, 2019, 11:22pm; Reply: 52
Yeah but all that will be water under the bridge once he a new signing for us.
Posted by: mariner91, August 3, 2019, 11:34pm; Reply: 53
I’m probably in the minority but I wouldn’t be overly thrilled with this as a signing. Always looked like he had an error in him when playing against us for Lincoln and is basically a bit of an old fashioned clogger. We’re lacking pace in the middle, I don’t think he gives us anything we don’t have already.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, August 3, 2019, 11:40pm; Reply: 54
We’ll Hopefully see some fast flowing football now then  ;)
Posted by: gtfc98, August 5, 2019, 9:08pm; Reply: 55
Signing tomorrow
Posted by: Poojah, August 5, 2019, 9:30pm; Reply: 56
Pleased with this. This thread on the Shrewsbury forum makes interesting reading:

http://blueandamber.proboards.com/thread/99437/luke-waterfall-grimsby-bound

Mixed reviews, but the general view seems to be a positive one. I’m a nutshell:

- Not the quickest
- Not particularly cultured or technically gifted
- Top pro - gives 100%
- Puts his body on the line
- Brilliant in the air
- Scores goals

Sounds very much in the mould of Shaun Pearson, and very much aligned with the general strategy Jolley is following this year.

It feels like he’s being much more pragmatic in his approach this time around, looking to play an effective if not necessarily attractive percentage game. I can live with that if it brings success.

Rightly or wrongly, there are always going to be compromises to be made given our budget restriction, and if that means prioritising results over style then so be it.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 5, 2019, 9:47pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from gtfc98
Signing tomorrow

Says who?....again, I'll believe it when I see it...until that pen hits the paper then he's not signed ..
Posted by: Rik e B, August 5, 2019, 9:51pm; Reply: 58
Read them pointers and immediately thought Pearson MKII before you said it also.

I'll reserve judgement and just go with the flow till seen him play a few times  ;)
Posted by: fishboyUTM, August 5, 2019, 9:55pm; Reply: 59
I'd have mixed feelings. We really only have three centre backs at the club so we do need at least another but he would be dropping a division presumably to play, not to be a squad player and he would probably limit Mattie Pollock's game time and hinder his development. Ludwig starts every game for me.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, August 5, 2019, 10:01pm; Reply: 60
Pooh makes a good point in that these signings do suggest that Jolley has learned something about what he thinks is needed to be successful in this league.  

Already it looks like he understands the strengths and weaknesses of the squad he has and will base his teams on a core 433 formation which can be adapted into 352/532 depending on when and whether he gets wide options into the building.  Solid back four underpins the whole thing.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, August 5, 2019, 10:04pm; Reply: 61
Maybe allows Davis to move nearer home.  Straight swap anyone?
Posted by: Teesknees, August 5, 2019, 10:04pm; Reply: 62
Nice comment from their site......

A dependable and honest player who always gives his all. I doubt many would disagree that he's simply not cultured enough for league 1, but playing in pretty much any league 2 team would be a contender anywhere for their player of the season - superb in the air and very strong, plenty of attributes that will stand him in good stead at that level. With Beckles offering more defensive versatility it does feel like now is the right time for him to leave. Thanks Luke and good luck.
Posted by: MarshMariner, August 5, 2019, 10:09pm; Reply: 63
We can't go through a full season with 3 centre backs, one being a first year pro... the move makes total sense, just need that little bit of creativity in the middle.  I thought Saturday was crying out for some composure in the middle of the park, we showed glimpses after we scored...
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, August 5, 2019, 10:12pm; Reply: 64
My cup runneth over
Posted by: Poojah, August 5, 2019, 10:24pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from fishboyUTM
I'd have mixed feelings. We really only have three centre backs at the club so we do need at least another but he would be dropping a division presumably to play, not to be a squad player and he would probably limit Mattie Pollock's game time and hinder his development. Ludwig starts every game for me.

Mattie’s 17 or 18 is he not? Practically a baby in centre half terms.

He plays in a position where injuries and suspensions are a part of the job - even as fourth choice choice he’ll get plenty of game time. If he’s better than fourth choice, I’ve every confidence Jolley will recognise that and he’ll get the exposure he deserves.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, August 5, 2019, 10:37pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Teesknees
Nice comment from their site......

A dependable and honest player who always gives his all. I doubt many would disagree that he's simply not cultured enough for league 1, but playing in pretty much any league 2 team would be a contender anywhere for their player of the season - superb in the air and very strong, plenty of attributes that will stand him in good stead at that level. With Beckles offering more defensive versatility it does feel like now is the right time for him to leave. Thanks Luke and good luck.

Pretty much reflects what Imps fans are saying and not one has had a negative comment on him.

Starting to wonder if Jolley had a summer meeting with the Cowleys to pick their brains on best approach for League 2 success as clearly appears a change in style and formation this season. If we start crossing the ball into the box on at least 30 times each match from all areas of the pitch I will be convinced!,

Anyway if he comes he will add strength and experience and an additional midfield player, maybe two should be a decent summer and hopefully lead to a more enjoyable winter.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, August 5, 2019, 10:39pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Poojah

Mattie’s 17 or 18 is he not? Practically a baby in centre half terms.

He plays in a position where injuries and suspensions are a part of the job - even as fourth choice choice he’ll get plenty of game time. If he’s better than fourth choice, I’ve every confidence Jolley will recognise that and he’ll get the exposure he deserves.

Fair comment, we certainly need four centre backs at the club.

Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 5, 2019, 10:46pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Pretty much reflects what Imps fans are saying and not one has had a negative comment on him.

Starting to wonder if Jolley had a summer meeting with the Cowleys to pick their brains on best approach for League 2 success as clearly appears a change in style and formation this season. If we start crossing the ball into the box on at least 30 times each match from all areas of the pitch I will be convinced!,

Anyway if he comes he will add strength and experience and an additional midfield player, maybe two should be a decent summer and hopefully lead to a more enjoyable winter.

Great point about meeting with the Cowley's and he has spoken about getting on with them previously.

Early days but looking at how the squad has been built this summer, it just goes to show that it takes time to build a team.
Posted by: Rik e B, August 5, 2019, 11:14pm; Reply: 69
Reminds me of the more successful Slade MKI where he researched what type of play and player was needed to succeed in this division with the hope of a more cultured approach in future if we won promotion.

P.s.apologies for mentioning The Bald One.
Posted by: Croxton, August 6, 2019, 7:37am; Reply: 70
Maybe allows Davis to move nearer home.  Straight swap anyone?

I hope not until Jan. at least. Davis has looked solid in all games this year. He can cover at right back and gets on the end of free kicks and corners when we attack. Very useful squad player if no club comes in for him.
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 6, 2019, 7:49am; Reply: 71
Squad player? He's one of our best players, and was last season too. Him and Hendrie on the left side of defence is a strong combo.
Posted by: wiggers, August 6, 2019, 7:50am; Reply: 72
Wouldn’t think Davis would go anywhere. We need competition at the back and Waterfall would do that. Plus injuries and suspensions means we need at least one more defender than we currently have. Just not sure we can afford him. Must be on a good wage at Shrewsbury and Lincoln couldn’t match it so not sure we will be able to either.
Posted by: Croxton, August 6, 2019, 8:15am; Reply: 73
Quoted from Mariner93er
Squad player? He's one of our best players, and was last season too. Him and Hendrie on the left side of defence is a strong combo.

Agreed. I meant 'squad' as in versatile, dependable etc. Not reserve squad.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, August 6, 2019, 8:18am; Reply: 74
Work with a real Lincoln fan, 1 that was there when they was crap.

Said he would be gutted if we signed him, and would even take him back as a back up defender now.

He's slow, but apparently Cowley taught him a lot and become the captain and a fan favourite pretty quick
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, August 6, 2019, 8:20am; Reply: 75
Quoted from wiggers
Wouldn’t think Davis would go anywhere. We need competition at the back and Waterfall would do that. Plus injuries and suspensions means we need at least one more defender than we currently have. Just not sure we can afford him. Must be on a good wage at Shrewsbury and Lincoln couldn’t match it so not sure we will be able to either.

Especially after what happened last season - we need to learn from that and adjust accordingly - which to be fair to MJ he looks like he is doing that - Bradford should be a good test for our defence on Sat that’s for sure and after this month we can look at the results and see where we are - as always it’s going to be a rollercoaster

Posted by: You stripes UTM, August 6, 2019, 11:01am; Reply: 76
Heard he’s expected today.
Posted by: gtfc98, August 6, 2019, 11:32am; Reply: 77

Says who?....again, I'll believe it when I see it...until that pen hits the paper then he's not signed ..

Says me.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, August 6, 2019, 11:36am; Reply: 78
If Jolley has been able to tap into the Cowley`s footballing experiences it`s got to be a good thing given the progress Braintree and the Imps made under them . I hope we dont see pitchside histrionics from him though ??)
Posted by: Maringer, August 6, 2019, 11:42am; Reply: 79
Quoted from Poojah
Mixed reviews, but the general view seems to be a positive one. I’m a nutshell:

- Not the quickest
- Not particularly cultured or technically gifted
- Top pro - gives 100%
- Puts his body on the line
- Brilliant in the air
- Scores goals

But for the goals, you could have said the same of Mark Lever and he did OK as well.

Would be a good signing as it seems likely that Ohman and Davis will both miss games through injuries/suspension if last season is anything to go by.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 6, 2019, 12:14pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from gtfc98

Says me.

Reign ya neck in...I was asking a genuine question not having a go...
If you are so "in the know"...I'll ask again...who says he's saying today for us??
Posted by: Rik e B, August 6, 2019, 12:21pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from Maringer

But for the goals, you could have said the same of Mark Lever and he did OK as well.

We've already got the Swedish Lever in Ohman 😉
Posted by: Kris2, August 6, 2019, 1:17pm; Reply: 82

Reign ya neck in...I was asking a genuine question not having a go...
If you are so "in the know"...I'll ask again...who says he's saying today for us??

People throwing out guesses again based on who is rumoured to sign  ;D.

1 in 10 guesses they'll get it right then they can act like they are a club insider with knowledge of what's going on.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, August 6, 2019, 1:46pm; Reply: 83
Didn’t we used to have a scale to rate the likelihood/ absurdity of rumours ? Someone will remember it’s name
Posted by: Croxton, August 6, 2019, 2:12pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Didn’t we used to have a scale to rate the likelihood/ absurdity of rumours ? Someone will remember it’s name

Bentley?
Posted by: sam gy, August 6, 2019, 2:34pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from Croxton

I hope not until Jan. at least. Davis has looked solid in all games this year. He can cover at right back and gets on the end of free kicks and corners when we attack. Very useful squad player if no club comes in for him.

Agreed - pretty bored of this notion that Davis wants to move away from the club, which as far as I can tell has come from Twitter rumours. I really rate Davis…solid centre back, can fill in at right back and even filled in at left back at one point last season I think. Scores a few too.

There’s no doubt we need another defender in the building and even if that means Pollock goes out on a short term loan (which we can recall him from), I don’t think that’s a bad thing. He looks extremely promising but let’s not forget he’s played barely any competitive men’s football yet, and is still only 17.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, August 6, 2019, 2:37pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from sam gy

Agreed - pretty bored of this notion that Davis wants to move away from the club, which as far as I can tell has come from Twitter rumours. I really rate Davis…solid centre back, can fill in at right back and even filled in at left back at one point last season I think. Scores a few too.

There’s no doubt we need another defender in the building and even if that means Pollock goes out on a short term loan (which we can recall him from), I don’t think that’s a bad think. He looks extremely promising but let’s not forget he’s played barely any competitive men’s football yet, and is still only 17.

Wes impressed with Davies at Morecambe
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 6, 2019, 3:08pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

Wasn't it the Grantley  scale or something like that??
Posted by: Bigdog, August 6, 2019, 3:21pm; Reply: 88
No, 100000000% Bentley
Posted by: Grantley, August 6, 2019, 3:21pm; Reply: 89
(icon_neutral)
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 6, 2019, 3:25pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from Grantley
(icon_neutral)

Sorry Grantley, I tarred you with the wrong brush there...as BD..said, it was the Bentley scale...
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, August 6, 2019, 3:28pm; Reply: 91

Sorry Grantley, I tarred you with the wrong brush there...as BD..said, it was the Bentley scale...

So what’s the Bentley score for this one?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 6, 2019, 3:36pm; Reply: 92
I've got to go for 1/99 on the scale...
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 6, 2019, 3:52pm; Reply: 93
Luke waterfallenthrough
Posted by: marinerdazza, August 6, 2019, 4:05pm; Reply: 94
Looks like this was another load of complete beagrie.
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 6, 2019, 4:20pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from marinerdazza
Looks like this was another load of complete beagrie.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/4oo3uJM.gif[/img]

Is it really that bad  ;D
Posted by: dicko995, August 6, 2019, 5:44pm; Reply: 96
So where does it say the deal has fallen through?, cant find any info anywhere, GTFC,Twitter, Shrewsbury website, back up your facts before wanting to be read.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 6, 2019, 5:59pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from dicko995
So where does it say the deal has fallen through?, cant find any info anywhere, GTFC,Twitter, Shrewsbury website, back up your facts before wanting to be read.

I thought he meant that as a play on words.  :)
Posted by: SteffiMariner, August 6, 2019, 6:01pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from dicko995

Same place it came from saying that he was signing...
Posted by: fiveallive, August 6, 2019, 6:21pm; Reply: 99
He's been told he's not Guaranteed first team action so you never know how might sign. Everyone will just have to wait and see.
Posted by: chaos33, August 6, 2019, 6:51pm; Reply: 100
Seems to me there’s no more solid source to say it’s fallen through than said he’s signing. It hasn’t happened today or yesterday so folk are presuming....
Posted by: Numanoid, August 6, 2019, 6:57pm; Reply: 101
If he does lesve Shrewsbury for us or someone else he will be negotiating with Shrewsbury for a pay off I  assume ,lets face it he's still under contract.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, August 6, 2019, 8:17pm; Reply: 102
Oh dear so it was about an 8 on the Bentley Scale then !!!
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), August 7, 2019, 4:31am; Reply: 103
Radio Silence again on this one.......

That will be Sowunmi, the Takeover and Waterfall all being leaked without being true!

Season/Matchday sales ploy??

Where’s the big signing that nearly came in January too??
Posted by: Rik e B, August 7, 2019, 4:35am; Reply: 104
Waterfall, leaked - I see what you did there
Posted by: Rik e B, August 7, 2019, 4:40am; Reply: 105
We best of not knowing about the maybes and the nearlys, just hit us with the signing out the blue. If poss, thanks
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 7, 2019, 5:23am; Reply: 106
So is it only a rumour about a rumour that Waterfall isn’t signing?
Posted by: golfer, August 7, 2019, 7:25am; Reply: 107
So is it only a rumour about a rumour that Waterfall isn’t signing?

Surely you are not trying to spread another rumour Kingston
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, August 7, 2019, 7:47am; Reply: 108
Every transfer John Tondeaur has tweeted about (before it was confirmed) this summer hasn't come off right? Cook Devitt etc.

Might we be adding Waterfall to this list as well.  
Posted by: gtfc98, August 7, 2019, 9:05am; Reply: 109
patience children.
Posted by: Rik e B, August 7, 2019, 9:38am; Reply: 110
Dam you Tondeur. Love you though.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, August 7, 2019, 6:13pm; Reply: 111
I understand he was on his way, but was held back at Whaley Bridge.  ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: Rik e B, August 7, 2019, 6:17pm; Reply: 112
Sure to create waves if it goes through.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, August 7, 2019, 6:22pm; Reply: 113
If we do get this over the line think he will be a (high) force to reckon with
Posted by: Meza, August 7, 2019, 6:42pm; Reply: 114
They way people have been going on about it I thought it would have been plain SAILING to get over the line.    Taxi...…………...
Posted by: fishyfanny, August 7, 2019, 9:18pm; Reply: 115
Difficulty keeping his end up I hear.

He should take one of those Niagra pills ;)
Posted by: Ipswin, August 7, 2019, 9:35pm; Reply: 116
Whether Waterfall signs or not it's produced a torrent of posts
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 7, 2019, 9:40pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from Ipswin
Whether Waterfall signs or not it's produced a torrent of posts

A positive cascade
Posted by: gaz57, August 7, 2019, 9:57pm; Reply: 118
As time passes it looks like someone has pulled the plug.
Posted by: Teesknees, August 7, 2019, 10:00pm; Reply: 119
Please please hurry up and fcking sign!
Posted by: Numanoid, August 7, 2019, 10:07pm; Reply: 120
Look what-a-fool ,he'd be if he didn't sign😉(Soz lads )
Posted by: ginnywings, August 7, 2019, 10:10pm; Reply: 121
Some hilarious quip about cataracts.......
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 7, 2019, 10:20pm; Reply: 122
Looks like this signing has gone over the precepis now.  
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), August 8, 2019, 4:27am; Reply: 123
Sounds like as soon as we announce/declare interest, it falls on its backside!! Maybe keep quiet in future.

Championship Transfer Window closes tonight, this may increase movement as of tomorrow.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, August 8, 2019, 6:33am; Reply: 124
The lad is under contract so doesn’t really have to leave - my guess is he’s just seeing if there’s any other better offers going to come in before the window shuts before he makes a decision over a permanent move .
Posted by: Meza, August 8, 2019, 6:45am; Reply: 125
Quoted from 1542
Sounds like as soon as we announce/declare interest, it falls on its backside!! Maybe keep quiet in future.

Championship Transfer Window closes tonight, this may increase movement as of tomorrow.

Well MD from RH just couldn't wait to speak to Shrewsbury like the first kid that has to announce something.  That's probably why the relationship between RH & Town has gone down hill a bit.  I so get a journalista role but Town have said many times RH would be the first to know so why do they go that far.  Do they just do this to town?
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 8, 2019, 8:31am; Reply: 126
If these waterfall pun keep flowing the tide will never come back in.
Posted by: Croxton, August 8, 2019, 8:44am; Reply: 127
Why would he take a plunge in wages?
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, August 8, 2019, 8:55am; Reply: 128
Quoted from Croxton
Why would he take a plunge in wages?

Maybe he has other income streams 😄
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, August 8, 2019, 9:18am; Reply: 129
This thread needs washing away
Posted by: AdamHaddock, August 8, 2019, 9:29am; Reply: 130
Heard he's joining colorado rapids
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, August 8, 2019, 9:34am; Reply: 131
Weir getting fed up with this now
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 8, 2019, 9:41am; Reply: 132
Quoted from Numanoid
Look what-a-fool ,he'd be if he didn't sign😉(Soz lads )

Best said in a Lancashire accent
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 8, 2019, 9:42am; Reply: 133
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Maybe he has other income streams 😄

The best yet in the flood of wet jokes
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 8, 2019, 9:43am; Reply: 134
This stream of information seems all washed-up to me.
Posted by: Numanoid, August 8, 2019, 9:48am; Reply: 135

Best said in a Lancashire accent

Glad someone got it😎
Posted by: Garth, August 8, 2019, 10:01am; Reply: 136
All getting a bit too much to swallow
Posted by: jock dock tower, August 8, 2019, 11:30am; Reply: 137
If fans can not see him signing it must be due to their cataracts.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 8, 2019, 12:58pm; Reply: 138
Another 2 minutes of my life I will never get back!
Posted by: monkeyboy, August 8, 2019, 1:25pm; Reply: 139
Guess thats sod all for new signings then, thought they might just push one or two through to boost the attendance tomorrow.
We looking poor in the centre for creativity
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 8, 2019, 1:38pm; Reply: 140
Quoted from monkeyboy
Guess thats sod all for new signings then, thought they might just push one or two through to boost the attendance tomorrow.
We looking poor in the centre for creativity

Still got til 2nd September, wouldn't panic yet...
Posted by: gtfc98, August 16, 2019, 12:40pm; Reply: 141
Phew  8)
Posted by: GTFCH, August 16, 2019, 1:19pm; Reply: 142
The ‘creative midfielder’ chat has got so boring.

Of course we lack Andre Pirlo, most teams do! Having a creative type in the middle at this level will generally always mean they will lack in work rate, physicality, attitude. If they didn’t lack in these areas then they wouldn’t be playing football at GTFC.

The exception to this was Embleton but these types don’t become available to a club like GTFC that often.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 16, 2019, 7:47pm; Reply: 143
Quoted from GTFCH
The ‘creative midfielder’ chat has got so boring.

Of course we lack Andre Pirlo, most teams do! Having a creative type in the middle at this level will generally always mean they will lack in work rate, physicality, attitude. If they didn’t lack in these areas then they wouldn’t be playing football at GTFC.

The exception to this was Embleton but these types don’t become available to a club like GTFC that often.

the best approach would be to grow one of our own.....whilst the acadamy is having some relative success of late with younger players making it into the squad i wonder if they have a particular type of player they screen/select as players progress through. Whether consciously or sub concsiously selecting more disciplined or athletic players over independant thinking flair players.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, August 16, 2019, 8:02pm; Reply: 144
Quoted from moosey_club

the best approach would be to grow one of our own.....whilst the acadamy is having some relative success of late with younger players making it into the squad i wonder if they have a particular type of player they screen/select as players progress through. Whether consciously or sub concsiously selecting more disciplined or athletic players over independant thinking flair players.

At the end of the day, people behave in ways in which they are measured.

You need to ask Neil Woods as to how he is measured, if at all. If he is measured by producing a particular type of player, he will try.
If he is measured by how many points his squad will produce that will result in a different outcome.

Not sure if that answers the question but it's worth asking.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 16, 2019, 8:38pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

You need to ask Neil Woods as to how he is measured, if at all. If he is measured by producing a particular type of player, he will try.
If he is measured by how many points his squad will produce that will result in a different outcome.

thats my point, is it a conscious decision to perhaps discard a player who may have moments of game changing ability over a solid but unspectacular consistent player.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 16, 2019, 10:14pm; Reply: 146
Or maybe the players with the greatest ability get poached by much bigger clubs.

What we really want then is hugely talented players who hide their light under a bushel, do the mundane disciplined thing for years then when too old to go into an academy at Moneybags FC reveal their talent when on the fringe of the first team  :)
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 16, 2019, 10:22pm; Reply: 147
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

In my opinion the only way to judge a youth team manager is by the number of graduates that either bring in money or feature in the first team. The sad fact is that most of the youth team are just making up the numbers for the 2/3 that have a realistic chance of a deal.

I'm not interested if the youth team finish bottom of their league. The only objective for me is that it produces first team players.

Our youth system is currently going through a purple patch and it's great to witness. It is great that MJ has faith in the academy because under Hurst, Bignot or Slade, Clifton and Wright would probably be playing their trade at Clee Town or Grimsby Borough.

Posted by: IlkleyMariner, August 16, 2019, 10:25pm; Reply: 148
Quoted from jamesgtfc

In my opinion the only way to judge a youth team manager is by the number of graduates that either bring in money or feature in the first team. The sad fact is that most of the youth team are just making up the numbers for the 2/3 that have a realistic chance of a deal.

I'm not interested if the youth team finish bottom of their league. The only objective for me is that it produces first team players.

Our youth system is currently going through a purple patch and it's great to witness. It is great that MJ has faith in the academy because under Hurst, Bignot or Slade, Clifton and Wright would probably be playing their trade at Clee Town or Grimsby Borough.

agreed
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 16, 2019, 10:50pm; Reply: 149
Quoted from jamesgtfc

A wider perspective on it would be the opportunity for other young players to develop to the become the best they could be, even if they don't make it in full-time professional football. So there's a wider community benefit. To be parochial about it, if they don't make the grade at GTFC, it'd be great if they did make it in the first team at Clee or GY Boro, or one of the other Lincolnshire clubs.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 16, 2019, 11:05pm; Reply: 150

A wider perspective on it would be the opportunity for other young players to develop to the become the best they could be, even if they don't make it in full-time professional football. So there's a wider community benefit. To be parochial about it, if they don't make the grade at GTFC, it'd be great if they did make it in the first team at Clee or GY Boro, or one of the other Lincolnshire clubs.

Agree with that. Problem is because we are League 2, there are limited options to drop down for a second chance and remain a professional footballer. Woods reputation as a youth coach is great though and we are lucky to have him. Fortunately we also have a manager that wants to create a pathway also.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 16, 2019, 11:13pm; Reply: 151
Quoted from jamesgtfc

That has always been the case even for the bigger clubs. The percentage of youth players who make it into league football at any level is very small. But there are two factors here. One is that kids develop at different rates so you need to give them the opportunity to mature a bit. The other is purely practical. You must always have a youth squad in order to have matches and training schedules and a specialist youth coach. Once you pack that up, like Walsall for instance, you have to pack up any idea of developing your own players.

I too was critical of managers for not playing youngsters but again we have to be fair. It is the manager’s job that is on the line, not the fans. Playing young players is a risk and many managers would rather not play a youngster if it means points may be dropped in giving them time to settle. MJ has played youngsters but even he is very cautious about it. Only one has become anything like a regular so far and you can see his policy in the interview today where he talks about Pollock.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 16, 2019, 11:19pm; Reply: 152
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Agree with that. Problem is because we are League 2, there are limited options to drop down for a second chance and remain a professional footballer. Woods reputation as a youth coach is great though and we are lucky to have him. Fortunately we also have a manager that wants to create a pathway also.

Not quite what I meant but also not sure I agree with that James. I meant, if you can't make it at GTFC, there are options to go semi-pro. There's plenty of semi-pro clubs around at various levels. If anyone is good enough and determined enough they can carve out some opportunities for themselves.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 16, 2019, 11:25pm; Reply: 153
It seems our new signing has good vision. So good, according to the caption on this he can see into the future.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49362256
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 7:09am