Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 27, 2019, 8:17am

He did a short interview on his return to Blundell Park on Hullberside, I'm not sure how to do Twitter links but here's my best shot.

Sounds like he's not too sure what sort of a reception he will get.

https://twitter.com/mattdeanradio?lang=en
Posted by: CodHead, July 27, 2019, 8:56am; Reply: 1
I won’t be giving him a good reception.
Why should you give a good reception to a player who forced his way out of the club?
Posted by: golfer, July 27, 2019, 9:05am; Reply: 2
For Christs sake-he's only a kid who wants the best for himself
Posted by: jaygy, July 27, 2019, 9:07am; Reply: 3
The reception he’ll get from me is “meh”
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 27, 2019, 9:08am; Reply: 4
Quoted from CodHead
Why should you give a good reception to a player who forced his way out of the club?

Would you have stayed?

Posted by: pen penfras, July 27, 2019, 9:08am; Reply: 5
Quoted from golfer
For Christs sake-he's only a kid who wants the best for himself

Absolutely, and I bear no grudge for somebody wanting to move up when they clearly had the ability. But he didn't even look like he tried for the second half of the season.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, July 27, 2019, 9:31am; Reply: 6
Quoted from CodHead

Come off it. It's how transfer deals work. The selling club force the player to put a transfer request in so that they don't have pay the player a loyalty bonus as he departs. It's nothing new.
Posted by: The Boys Paddock, July 27, 2019, 9:31am; Reply: 7
god he was excrement....
Posted by: GollyGTFC, July 27, 2019, 9:43am; Reply: 8
Quoted from The Boys Paddock
god he was excrement....

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but your's is laughable.
Posted by: SomeSanity, July 27, 2019, 10:30am; Reply: 9
Don’t really care. We were his stepping stone club and he lost interest in us when other clubs showed an interest in him.
Posted by: mariner91, July 27, 2019, 10:35am; Reply: 10
I don't mind him using us a stepping stone, that's football. I do mind him not trying for the last few months of his time here. Big meh from me him coming back.
Posted by: CodHead, July 27, 2019, 10:37am; Reply: 11

Would you have stayed?

Isn’t that a stupid question?
I support Town
You can’t compare me to a professional footballer

Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 27, 2019, 10:39am; Reply: 12
Who?

Not bothered.

Got more things to worry about than a player who was here for a season and was bang average.

Posted by: promotion plaice, July 27, 2019, 10:41am; Reply: 13

No end product......he'll score a hat-trick today now I've said that   :o
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), July 27, 2019, 11:04am; Reply: 14
Blame his agent, then Slade brought him in, just maybe he liked Slade (hard to believe) and he thought his time was up.
I just think a full first season was too much for him.
He certainly lost form. I didn't think he was that bad.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, July 27, 2019, 11:19am; Reply: 15
He was just about the only player to get people exciteed when he received the ball over  the last few years. People are saying how wonderful Vernom is/will be yet I have yet to see him do anything much apart from dribble the ball from one side of the pitch to the other or lay on the physios table, Siriki was ok and would only get better with experience (hes played a few in the league above last season) Did he stop trying or was the team/management so terrible that he was just brought  down to that level. :-/
Posted by: Rik e B, July 27, 2019, 11:36am; Reply: 16
Not fussed either way, perhaps if we weren't such a shambles at the time and he was developing nicely in a team going places he might have wanted to stick around a little longer.
Posted by: sam gy, July 27, 2019, 11:39am; Reply: 17
He was a kid that was chucked into his first season head first. Suffered with loss of form and niggly injuries which is to be expected. We were absolutely crap and there was a toxic atmosphere at the club.

Seems to have settled in just fine in the league above, funny how so many of our ex players are apparently not that good according to some fans, even though they go on to bigger and better things.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 27, 2019, 11:40am; Reply: 18
Young talent gets head turned by bigger club offer, aided by greedy agent fueling the fire.... It's nothing new and sadly it'll probably happen to us again before too long.

To be honest it was only when I saw that interview that I realised it would be his return to BP.

Brought us bucket loads of excitement in those first few months, a beacon of hope amongst the dross of that Slade side. He moved on, so did we. Doesn't strike me as a Jolley type at all so probably would have moved on regardless.
Posted by: ska face, July 27, 2019, 11:50am; Reply: 19
Quoted from sam gy

Seems to have settled in just fine in the league above, funny how so many of our ex players are apparently not that good according to some fans, even though they go on to bigger and better things.

It’s all about context though. Nobody ever doubted his skill and ability, but plenty were concerned about his desire to help the TEAM and dig in for a fight. When he wanted it, he was great. When he didn’t, it was like playing with 10, and we weren’t in a position to be carrying people when we were staring the conference in the face.

I’m sure he’s great for a team that spends a lot of time attacking from a position in & around the League 1 playoffs - not as much impact when you’re 20 without a win at the bottom of League 2.
Posted by: AussieMariner, July 27, 2019, 11:55am; Reply: 20
I think his loss of form was part injury and partly the fact that other teams marked him out of the game by putting more than 1 player on him. If we’d been any good we could have exploited the extra space in turn dragging his markers away and freeing him up again.
In a higher division he’d be less of a stand out but probably more effective because of it.
Probably just a case of being too talented to fit in.
Posted by: Poojah, July 27, 2019, 12:12pm; Reply: 21
It was clear his heart wasn’t in it towards the end, but can you blame the kid under the calamitous regime we had at the time?

When our sole attacking strategy of “give it to Siriki” meant that we could be nullified by a sole defensive strategy of “kick Siriki”, it’s fairly unsurprising his head went down.

Slade’s recruitment of Dembele was far and away the most positive thing he did during his second reign; it’s just a shame he proceeded to fúck it up so badly thereafter.
Posted by: golfer, July 27, 2019, 12:35pm; Reply: 22
I.m looking forward to seeing him today. Was it £100K we banked ?
Posted by: lee65, July 27, 2019, 1:17pm; Reply: 23

Initially exciting, and played with freedom, partly because other teams hadn't had chance (or bothered) to do their “homework”

Because we had little other creativity at the time  he was subsequently marked out of games and never shone after that

Perhaps more maturity would’ve helped?, but best for him and us that he moved on I guess

No ill feeling but no tears either
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 27, 2019, 1:19pm; Reply: 24
I remember in the heat of the relegation battle, one of MJ's first games and Dembele was on the floor tying his laces as someone passed to him. He didn't feature again after that moment.

I don't have a problem with us being a stepping stone, in fact I want us to be a stepping stone. I just want players to play for the shirt whilst they are here.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 27, 2019, 1:24pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Dembele was on the floor tying his laces

A budget Jevons for the #baller generation!
Posted by: Maringer, July 27, 2019, 2:27pm; Reply: 26
I wonder if he's learned to pass the ball instead of trying to dribble through a mass of players every single time he gets it? If he has, could develop into a useful player.

After a good start to his career, he was quickly found out and it was pretty much a guaranteed loss of possession every time he got the ball. If he can let the ball do more of the work, he'll be able to using his dribbling skills more effectively.
Posted by: moosey_club, July 27, 2019, 2:48pm; Reply: 27
In reality...just another player passing through the doors of GTFC in a non event of a season.
No malice earned but no real adoration either
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 27, 2019, 3:51pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Maringer
I wonder if he's learned to pass the ball instead of trying to dribble through a mass of players every single time he gets it? If he has, could develop into a useful player.

After a good start to his career, he was quickly found out and it was pretty much a guaranteed loss of possession every time he got the ball. If he can let the ball do more of the work, he'll be able to using his dribbling skills more effectively.

The problem with passing the ball is that there has to be someone available for the pass. Otherwise you look a tw@t.
He seems to have featured regularly at a higher level than ours.
So maybe it’s not all his fault he sometimes held on to the ball too long !!
Posted by: Grantley, July 27, 2019, 3:52pm; Reply: 29
He had us on toast in the first half tbf.
Posted by: N2K, July 27, 2019, 4:29pm; Reply: 30
Very very well taken goal by Dembele.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, July 27, 2019, 4:39pm; Reply: 31
He really was sh1tyte good job we got rid, :K)
Posted by: Stadium, July 27, 2019, 7:14pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Maringer

Looked a fine player today,must have took your advice.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, July 27, 2019, 8:21pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from SomeSanity
Don’t really care. We were his stepping stone club and he lost interest in us when other clubs showed an interest in him.

Agree, but a stepping stone to a smaller club like Peterborough, did'nt go today as frendlies are a load of bottom, but I have to give that huge clown Russell Slade some credit for finding Dembele. He was quality for us, in short bursts. But had massive issues with basics like being able to actuallty kick the ball far enough! Sounds like basics. Lirerally could not kick the ball far enough IMO!
Posted by: AdamHaddock, July 27, 2019, 8:38pm; Reply: 34
He was superb today, good goal as well
Posted by: Maringer, July 27, 2019, 9:16pm; Reply: 35
He looked a lot stronger and quicker to me, probably just because he's filled out a bit more. A better player because of this than during his time with us, but he was certainly guilty of trying to overplay around the edge of the box plenty of times today. The nearest defender (was it Hessenthaler?) didn't cover himself in glory for his goal but he did hit the shot very well. I thought the rash challenge on him by Hendrie early on might have been given as a penalty, too.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 27, 2019, 9:25pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Maringer
I thought the rash challenge on him by Hendrie early on might have been given as a penalty, too.

Same here, it looked just inside the box to me.

No doubt the highlights will show if it was inside the box or not.

Posted by: fishboyUTM, July 27, 2019, 9:27pm; Reply: 37
Didn't go today. Clearly benefiited from the lack of a a dinosaur manager that didn't want his full back, centre back, goalkeeper and midfielders to kick the fornicator as hard and as long as they possibly could. Dembele would appreciated that, though he's a gutless little male masturbator himself.

I've issues woth Jolley, mainly the fact we don't win a lot of games, but please just remember the absolute clown the previous manager was. And more importantly, the board that appointed Slade, and could appoint a buffoon like him again.

FENTY OUT
Posted by: Kris2, July 27, 2019, 10:28pm; Reply: 38
A ton of salty tears in this thread  ;D.

He needed to play with better players to advance himself and was given the chance. He improved because he has a better team that isn't relying on him to do everything. I think he did the best he could with the team put around him and with all the pressure on him to perform because he's not a local youngster who can do no wrong. As soon as form dipped everyone seemed to pick on him which would blow the confidence of most young players.

Bunch of salty twits who can't figure out why anyone would ever want to leave glorious Grimsby.
Posted by: chaos33, July 27, 2019, 10:56pm; Reply: 39
That’s basically right
Posted by: The Boys Paddock, July 28, 2019, 12:26am; Reply: 40
Quoted from Kris2
A ton of salty tears in this thread  ;D.

He needed to play with better players to advance himself and was given the chance. He improved because he has a better team that isn't relying on him to do everything. I think he did the best he could with the team put around him and with all the pressure on him to perform because he's not a local youngster who can do no wrong. As soon as form dipped everyone seemed to pick on him which would blow the confidence of most young players.

Bunch of salty twits who can't figure out why anyone would ever want to leave glorious Grimsby.

he had no end product on a consistent basis, thats his fault, not the fact that he needed better players.  Its a lazy excuse.
Posted by: sam gy, July 28, 2019, 12:38am; Reply: 41
Quoted from The Boys Paddock

he had no end product on a consistent basis, thats his fault, not the fact that he needed better players.  Its a lazy excuse.

He seemed to have ‘end product’ earlier on today. And has slotted in well fine at LG 1 level.

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, July 28, 2019, 10:39am; Reply: 42
Didn’t go to the game so don’t know how he played , but when he played for us the potential was their for everyone to see. If he only gets to the dizzy heights of playing for the posh in lge1 id say it’s below par
Posted by: Rick12, July 28, 2019, 10:40am; Reply: 43
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Who?

Not bothered.

Got more things to worry about than a player who was here for a season and was bang average.

On his day for a lower league player was class.

Posted by: Civvy at last, July 28, 2019, 12:54pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Didn’t go to the game so don’t know how he played , but when he played for us the potential was their for everyone to see. If he only gets to the dizzy heights of playing for the posh in lge1 id say it’s below par

What’s below par is that a player (rightly so) wouldn’t hesitate to leave us for Peterborough, because it’s a big step up.
It just shows where we are nowadays in the food chain !  
Posted by: rancido, July 28, 2019, 1:12pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Civvy at last

What’s below par is that a player (rightly so) wouldn’t hesitate to leave us for Peterborough, because it’s a big step up.

He left to go to a club with a better manager. Slade might have spotted the potential but he has the coaching ability of a dead wood louse.
Posted by: golfer, July 28, 2019, 3:55pm; Reply: 46
When did Dembelle leave  ?  When did Slade leave ?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, July 28, 2019, 4:24pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Civvy at last

What I meant about below par was if he only plays lge 1 level he himself will see it as not reaching his potential .... regarding Peterborough at this moment in time we are behind them in lots of areas ( stadium been improved , playing at higher level regularly , bigger gates ) BUT if we finally get the new stadium , taste a bit of success could we rival posh , course we would and overtake them imo
Print page generated: May 1, 2024, 8:56pm