Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: malkamalka, July 23, 2019, 3:37pm
According to Sky, we’ve had a 2nd bid rejected by Dundalk.
Posted by: psgmariner, July 23, 2019, 3:41pm; Reply: 1
Surely there are 100s of out of contract full backs in England. Surprised we are offering a fee.
Posted by: mariner91, July 23, 2019, 4:04pm; Reply: 2
Particularly when he's barely started a game this season. Without generalising, and I know Dundalk are top, but it's a really poor standard. Patrick Hoban who looked distinctly average in the NL for us is the league's top scorer by some way. Can't understand why we're offering a fee for a right back who can't get a game in the LOI when we've got a very good right back already.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 23, 2019, 5:08pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from mariner91
Particularly when he's barely started a game this season. Without generalising, and I know Dundalk are top, but it's a really poor standard. Patrick Hoban who looked distinctly average in the NL for us is the league's top scorer by some way. Can't understand why we're offering a fee for a right back who can't get a game in the LOI when we've got a very good right back already.

Because I think MJ has a plan to play Hendrie as his defensive midfielder.
Posted by: scott_gtfc_89, July 23, 2019, 5:33pm; Reply: 4
Everyone saying we need a CM, but don’t we need a cover right back more?

If Hendrie gets injured we will be struggling for cover.
Posted by: jimgtfc, July 23, 2019, 5:54pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from scott_gtfc_89
Everyone saying we need a CM, but don’t we need a cover right back more?

If Hendrie gets injured we will be struggling for cover.

Elliott Hewitt
Posted by: scott_gtfc_89, July 23, 2019, 6:13pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from jimgtfc

Elliott Hewitt

Would prefer a more natural right back if am
Honest,
Posted by: jimgtfc, July 23, 2019, 6:44pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from scott_gtfc_89

Would prefer a more natural right back if am
Honest,

From what I can gather I think he is a natural right back, certainly started his career there at Macclesfield and did well enough to earn a move to Ipswich. He’s had loan spells where he played on the right wing for Colchester and right back for Gillingham. He’s played at full back for Notts too as well as centre half but it seems his most successful run in the side came in midfield. Basically I think he’s a typical utility, jack of all trades type of player.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), July 23, 2019, 6:54pm; Reply: 8
Rumour from from Dundalk offer £95000 turned down.
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, July 23, 2019, 7:03pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from jimgtfc

From what I can gather I think he is a natural right back, certainly started his career there at Macclesfield and did well enough to earn a move to Ipswich. He’s had loan spells where he played on the right wing for Colchester and right back for Gillingham. He’s played at full back for Notts too as well as centre half but it seems his most successful run in the side came in midfield. Basically I think he’s a typical utility, jack of all trades type of player.

Pretty sure the Notts fans said he should play in the middle, at RB he was a bit of a disaster for them.
Posted by: jimgtfc, July 23, 2019, 7:34pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

Pretty sure the Notts fans said he should play in the middle, at RB he was a bit of a disaster for them.

Yeah did see that too, I don’t think that’s a fair reflection in a side that were woeful at the back as a whole. Maybe he’s developed into more of a centre mid now but what I meant was we do have cover in the right back area.
Posted by: Meza, July 23, 2019, 7:39pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from jimgtfc

Yeah did see that too, I don’t think that’s a fair reflection in a side that were woeful at the back as a whole. Maybe he’s developed into more of a centre mid now but what I meant was we do have cover in the right back area.

I think Elliott play RB for AFC Wimbledon
Posted by: Davec, July 23, 2019, 7:59pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Meza

I think Elliott play RB for AFC Wimbledon

Hewitt has never played for Wimbledon
Posted by: Meza, July 23, 2019, 8:03pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Davec

Hewitt has never played for Wimbledon

Why the hell did i think he played for Wimbledon.....losing it lol
Posted by: Davec, July 23, 2019, 8:11pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Meza

Why the hell did i think he played for Wimbledon.....losing it lol

Sam Hatton played for Wimbledon😉
Posted by: nightrider, July 23, 2019, 9:02pm; Reply: 15
Quality league is that irish premiership - Pat Hoban scored 60 in 90 games for Dundalk.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 23, 2019, 9:35pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from 140067
Rumour from from Dundalk offer £95000 turned down.

He's not exactly an unknown quantity in this country. He has played over 70 games for Oldham so I would be very concerned if we are splashing the best part of £100k on him. If an extra 0 has been added with Chinese whispers then fair enough, £10k is a risk worth taking.
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, July 23, 2019, 9:38pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from nightrider
Quality league is that irish premiership - Pat Hoban scored 60 in 90 games for Dundalk.

To be fair if his shot was not blocked at Wembley we would not have had that Arnold moment  ;) He may only have played a small part, but a part nonetheless!
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 23, 2019, 9:45pm; Reply: 18
£95,000 - yeah right !!!!!!
Posted by: Son of Cod, July 23, 2019, 10:22pm; Reply: 19
Harry Davis can do a passable job at RB.
Posted by: chaos33, July 23, 2019, 11:48pm; Reply: 20
RB not the only position where we are lacking cover or competition. I don’t know how good this player is or what to make of a 5 figure bid we may or may not have made, but I’m going to be a bit controversial and make a general point that I think we have a relatively below par squad that is totally imbalanced as the new season approaches.

We have 7 strikers but only 3 centre backs, one of whom is really an academy shot so no solid, proven cover or flexibility.  No RB cover. Injured left back cover and a likely first choice LB for whom the jury is still out. One winger who is little more than a kid and even then, doesn’t look a likely starter, so STILL no natural wide players. 4 centre mids but still not a midfielder either of proven quality or outstanding promise who will get goals and assists. Keeper cover and competition?

I think we’ve made 3 promising forward signings but other than that, I see no obvious signs that the budget is any better than bottom third level, and a likely starting line up that looks s little too much like the team of last season, give or take 3 or 4 players. If we don’t make a handful of good quality signings in the next few weeks I foresee another season of struggle for us, with pressure on the manager pretty quickly if we start poorly in the first 10 games. Not what I want to see but I can’t see any real evidence of solid investment in a squad that can challenge the top 6 or even top 10, and I think that’s what we all want and expect. Looks like more of the same to me, ie...,trying to eek it out and keep out of trouble, hopefully.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 23, 2019, 11:57pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from chaos33
RB not the only position where we are lacking cover or competition. I don’t know how good this player is or what to make of a 5 figure bid we may or may not have made, but I’m going to be a bit controversial and make a general point that I think we have a relatively below par squad that is totally imbalanced as the new season approaches.

We have 7 strikers but only 3 centre backs, one of whom is really an academy shot. No RB cover. 1 winger who is little more than a kid and even the, doesn’t look a likely starter, so STILLl no natural side players. 4 centre mids but still not a midfielder either of proven quality or outstanding promise who will get goals and assists. Keeper cover and competition?

I think we’ve made 3 promising forward signings but other than that, I see no obvious signs that the budget is any better than bottom third level, and a likely starting line up that looks s little too much like the team of last season, give or take 3 or 4 players. If we don’t make a handful of good quality signings in the next few weeks I foresee another season of struggle for us, with pressure on the manager pretty quickly if we start poorly in the first 10 games. Not what I want to see but I can’t see any real evidence of solid investment in a squad that can challenge the top 6 or even top 10, and I think that’s what we all want and expect. Looks like more of the same to me, ie...,trying to eek it out and keep out of trouble, hopefully.

I share some of your concerns but the performance against Doncaster gave me some hope that we won't be fighting again to save our league status.

Posted by: chaos33, July 24, 2019, 12:04am; Reply: 22
I agree that the performance and result against Donny was encouraging and I do think that we do have some promising young players, but I just don’t see any evidence of investment in quality to bring us either any balance or real potential to be challenging in the play off picture. Not on paper. On balance, we look totally imbalanced!
For instance - we’ve got a striker of proven quality in Hanson, albeit one who absolutely relies on crosses, and yet no wide players signed to deliver them! Yet.
Posted by: ska face, July 24, 2019, 3:45am; Reply: 23
Surprised this didn’t come up in Jolley’s time doing his coaching badges - the only possible way to play football is having two wingers running the channels and loading it into the box.  

No exceptions.
Posted by: Davec, July 24, 2019, 7:30am; Reply: 24
Can Dummigan play in other positions? Maybe Jolley wants him to play elsewhere or maybe as suggested above Jolley wants Hendrie to play somewhere else? That's the logical answer otherwise why else bid touching 6 figures for a right back when we already have a solid one, as for lack of game time I wouldn't be too concerned about that, just because somebody hasn't started games there may be any number of reasons for that and it doesn't automatically mean he's excrement.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 24, 2019, 7:58am; Reply: 25
If we’re going to spend £100,000 on a player I want to see a better cv than this lads got
Posted by: Bigdog, July 24, 2019, 8:38am; Reply: 26
Quoted from chaos33

We have 7 strikers but only 3 centre backs, one of whom is really an academy shot so no solid, proven cover or flexibility.  No RB cover. Injured left back cover and a likely first choice LB for whom the jury is still out. One winger who is little more than a kid and even then, doesn’t look a likely starter, so STILL no natural wide players. 4 centre mids but still not a midfielder either of proven quality or outstanding promise who will get goals and assists. Keeper cover and competition?

A realistic, fair and honest assessment.

We can put out a very solid starting eleven if we have a fully fit squad, but a couple of injuries to key players, a suspension (Ohman) and one or two out of form, the quality of the starting eleven collapses very quickly unless a few of the young pros step up quickly and consistently, which could be a little too much to be asking of them yet.

Probably a RB, centre half, creative CM and a wide player away from a club that could challenge for play offs over the rigours of a full season.

Whether it's right or wrong, I'm guessing MJ will have Rose and Vernam in mind for wide attacking options off the bench and will stick to a 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 as his preferred formation..

Edit - I do think we've already got enough firepower to keep us out of trouble. The question is how much quality and cover do we have in other areas to push for top half and beyond. Personally I'm excited to see what Ogbu can do. If he can be the player I hope he is, along with a fully fit Vernam, they may be the catalyst to better times around the corner..
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 24, 2019, 8:49am; Reply: 27
Dundalk average about 2500-3000 for their games.  They get a pittance in terms of TV income, to the point that the state broadcaster in Ireland even refused to pay a fee to broadcast their Champions League tie a few years back.  

Town have a reasonable drip feed of TV money that falls off from the big table and average almost double what Dundalk to in terms of gates.

I would fully expect us to bite anyone's hand off for an offer of £95,000 for our back up right-back (if we had one), hell I don't think there's many players in our whole squad who we wouldn't accept that money for!

Not saying we're not in for this lad, but that figure is likely one that someone from Sky has plucked out of thin air because they're so out of touch with the game beyond the top flight.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 24, 2019, 8:51am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Bigdog

A fair and honest assessment.

We can put out a very solid starting eleven if we have a fully fit squad, but a couple of injuries to key players, a suspension (Ohman) and one or two out of form, the quality of the starting eleven collapses very quickly.

Probably a RB, centre half, creative CM and a wide player away from a club that could challenge for play offs over the rigours of a full season.

Whether it's right or wrong, I'm guessing MJ will have Rose and Vernam in mind for wide attacking options off the bench and will stick to a 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 as his preferred formation..

Yeah, when you put it down on paper the depth is a bit worrying.  We're also quite top heavy up front, albeit, with a few injury prone players.  

Perhaps Jolley genuinely sees someone like Hewitt as the one to fill many gaps throughout the season.  
Posted by: buckstown, July 24, 2019, 9:14am; Reply: 29
Skybet share your concern and have town at 66/1, only Morecambe and Macclesfield are behind us in the betting and that's worse than their assessment last season. An apparent lack of midfield  creativity is an issue for me but maybe MJ sees Wright and Rose making their big break through this season?
A commanding centre half is important, as much as I like Ludwig he seems destined to be suspended for lots reds and yellows.
The donny result was positive and I hope to be snapping up the 66/1 at 4:55 on Saturday after we beat Peterborough
Posted by: marinerdazza, July 24, 2019, 9:21am; Reply: 30
Quoted from chaos33

For instance - we’ve got a striker of proven quality in Hanson, albeit one who absolutely relies on crosses, and yet no wide players signed to deliver them! Yet.

I think Hendrie will be doing a lot of this. He’s certainly capable.
Posted by: Son of Cod, July 24, 2019, 9:38am; Reply: 31
Quoted from chaos33

Harry Davis can play at RB. Moses Ogbu can play on the wing apparently. We don't know the extent of Gibson's injury yet, unless I've missed something.

I can't be arsed getting into the CM thing again, but I will say that people are a bit deluded if they think we're gonna go out and get a CM who is gonna grab himself 20+ goals/assists combined. And yeah...we probably have got a bottom 3rd budget. At least we're running somewhat sustainably now though. There are loads of teams in the division chucking money at it this season, gonna be some clubs in trouble in my opinion.
Posted by: Maringer, July 24, 2019, 10:24am; Reply: 32
Whisper it, but I reckon we're going to be a team which is looking to threaten from set pieces a good amount this season. We've got some players who are very strong in the air (notably notably Hanson and Ohman - Davis had a good record from set pieces as well last season) with a few hard-working and energetic midfielders and I'm not expecting us to tippy-tap around much but instead get it forward quickly for Green and Ogbu to run on to or Hanson to head on/lay off. This being the case, we're likely to win a good few free-kicks and throw-ins in the opposition half so I only hope we can put plenty of good crosses and long throws into the box.

As long as we've got one or two other dimensions to our play, it's not a problem, but I'm not expecting us to get to the line to put the crosses in all that often. Most of best crosses last season came from slightly deeper.
Posted by: Tommy, July 24, 2019, 10:29am; Reply: 33
I would expect that just because the season starts, our business won't be finished.

When the season starts, some players from clubs in higher leagues will become available for loan. Some will become available for free transfers when their club realise they've now signed enough players to deem them surplus to requirements. Or players will want to get out on loan when they realise they're not in the team by the middle of August.

On the topic of this Dummigan, I really can't believe we'd bid this amount of money for anyone. Particularly a right-back. So I will take this with a pinch of salt.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 24, 2019, 10:36am; Reply: 34
I don't think anyone's expecting us to find League Two's version of Frank Lampard hiding away in someone's reserves.

I think the concern is more that we seem to have a much-about-muchness to our midfield.  Clifton, Hessenthaler and from what I've seen of Whitehouse are all good, solid, honest midfielders who will run their socks off, get stuck and keep things ticking over quite tidily.

However, with no variation it's not likely we're going to create much from there.  I don't think we'll lose many midfield battles and especially when it was Clifton and Hessenthaler in there last season, we won more second balls than at any point since our return to the league.  But not one of those players is a creative influence.  If we're going with a 4-3-1-2 type system that puts an awful lot of pressure on the guy operating in the hole to produce something.  It's way, way too early to make a judgement but Ogbu hasn't really looked like that's a position or a role that he can do.   That player needs to be demanding the ball, buzzing about and trying to make things happen (or at the very least create enough space for the other midfielders to run in behind).   Embleton did this very well around Xmas time last year until teams cottoned onto it and marked him out the games.  Which brings another problem if you put all your eggs in one basket, once Embleton was nullified we had nothing to go through.

Our tactic in pre-season, especially against Doncaster, was very much a looped ball over the top into the corners for Green to race onto.  I'm not sure if this was by design or because Ogbu wasn't linking midfield and attack up as intended, but it was what we had.  That's fine, it's an option and it's a quick, easy and relatively effective outlet.  But it can't be all we go with, unless we want to be in the same position as last season where we just don't create enough chances.

It doesn't matter how good your players are, or how big your budget is, if you can't mix it up you're going to soon get sussed out.  All the teams that went up last year had enough about them to change things when needed.  I'm not convinced we're there yet.  We've got two good strikers and a relatively strong, although in areas thin, spine to the team.  But it lacks creativity and options.

I definitely don't think 4-4-2 is the only way to go, but it is one way of allowing us to bring a natural asset we have into the side (pace).  We've looked very narrow in the games I've seen this pre-season, which doesn't really work towards the aerial strength we have in the form of Hanson.  Without a change of system that sees the likes of Wright and Rose brought into the starting eleven, it feels like we're waiting and hoping on Ogbu coming good.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 24, 2019, 10:46am; Reply: 35
Maybe the manager is just looking to bring some quality into the squad and at the same time some versatility and it is as simple as that.

One factor that bothers me a bit is that very early withdrawal of Gibson last night and the kind of non-committal reaction of the manager after the game. Perhaps it is reading something into nothing but I am always wary of signings who have been out with long term injury or illness. Sometimes it is not the ailment itself that is the direct problem but the player's anxiousness to prove they are ready for full time, full pelt, full league action.

We have numbers in the squad and players like Pollock are nearly ready, but I think the manager is right if he is going for a ready made player like Dummigan.
Posted by: RichMariner, July 24, 2019, 11:35am; Reply: 36
We were blessed to have Embleton in our side last season. I really don't think there are many creative midfielders floating about at our level - and anyone decent enough won't be playing at this level for long (I expect Embleton to be pushing for starts at Sunderland this season).

I do agree that we need some level of creativity in the centre. For all we know, that could be a remit for Clifton, who might have been asked by Jolley to develop that side of his game this season. If that's the case, it could take time to see the fruits of his labour.
Posted by: toontown, July 24, 2019, 12:35pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Maringer
Most of best crosses last season came from slightly deeper.

ALL of our crosses seemed to come from at least slightly deep last season as we had no wingers in the squad who could beat someone and cross at pace. It was either Hendrix from deep or the lad that went to Tranmere from slightly deep.

Like others I am concernd at our lack of width again.  I had hoped 2 /3 from ogbu, Wright, and another signing could have performed this when required so 4-4-2 was an option if it seems to work with Hanson  and green. Not necessarily our standard formation but an option, perhaps when chasing games.

I also don't see a creative CM coming in now, these are rare at this level as metioner above, apart from those with attitude problems. I think Clifton has the potential to fulfil this role and brings some creativity already with his strong positive running. I would think jolley will beprioritising CD. As for this RB fella you occasionally have media lumping in wages with fee which may explain the amount of 95k perhaps?
Posted by: golfer, July 24, 2019, 1:18pm; Reply: 38
Dummigan - Champions League qualifier player - "sounds ?" good on paper.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 24, 2019, 1:22pm; Reply: 39
Sounds pretty meaningless on my paper
Posted by: Welwynmariner, July 24, 2019, 3:03pm; Reply: 40
May be significant that Dummigan hasn't gone anywhere else since our initial interest was announced? Doesn't sound as if anyone else is beating a path to the Dundalk door.
Posted by: supertown, July 24, 2019, 3:15pm; Reply: 41
Where has this 95,000 figure gone from? More concerning is why would JF splash that out if he is (allegedly) getting bought out. Has he ever spent that on a player ?  
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, July 24, 2019, 3:27pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from supertown
Where has this 95,000 figure gone from? More concerning is why would JF splash that out if he is (allegedly) getting bought out. Has he ever spent that on a player ?  

Sam Jones maybe? Only recent one I can think of that maybe would of been 6 figures. Was firing them in at Gateshead and had a lot of intrest from elsewhere at the time.
Posted by: Stew0_0, July 24, 2019, 3:43pm; Reply: 43
Anyone else believe Dundalk using us to try to drive the bids and price up for this player. Theres no way we are looking to pay a fee for a player thats barely played this season. We have a first choice right back in Hendrie.
I think again its the ex-Burnley connection again thats gonna lead to nothing.
Next!
Posted by: golfer, July 24, 2019, 4:43pm; Reply: 44
£95K  at a pound a week
Posted by: marinerdazza, July 24, 2019, 4:49pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Stew0_0
Anyone else believe Dundalk using us to try to drive the bids and price up for this player. Theres no way we are looking to pay a fee for a player thats barely played this season. We have a first choice right back in Hendrie.
I think again its the ex-Burnley connection again thats gonna lead to nothing.
Next!

Agree. Every mention of this story in the press concentrates on how many other teams are after him.
Posted by: golfer, July 24, 2019, 5:03pm; Reply: 46
I hate being conned. If it was me I'd say fckim and walk away. Plenty more fish in the sea.
Posted by: always grimsby, July 24, 2019, 8:41pm; Reply: 47
Not playing for Dundalk tonight not even on the bench tonight
Might be at the A180 roundabout ??  
Posted by: fiveallive, July 24, 2019, 9:08pm; Reply: 48
There might something in it if he isn't on the bench could be the player wants the move or Dundalk don't want to risk him.

Look at Nathaniel Clyne Crystal Palace was looking at signing him from Liverpool and he's torn acl in a friendly before they could sell him.
Posted by: always grimsby, July 24, 2019, 9:35pm; Reply: 49
Hoban equalises for Dundalk  
Posted by: Rik e B, July 24, 2019, 11:12pm; Reply: 50
Don't get it, a massive fee (for us), for an obscure rightback who hardly been playing.

If it was for a striker who's banged in 20 or 30 goals recently then yes.
Posted by: bigdavemariner, July 24, 2019, 11:17pm; Reply: 51
Must say I'm struggling with this one as well. 100k if that is the figure being spoken about could surely buy us a proven league one creative mid or striker. Christ thst sort of money could buy you podge couldn't it??

Maybe invest the money into bionic legs so we can bring back Diz and keep him playing haha
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 25, 2019, 7:00am; Reply: 52
Quoted from bigdavemariner
Must say I'm struggling with this one as well. 100k if that is the figure being spoken about could surely buy us a proven league one creative mid or striker. Christ thst sort of money could buy you podge couldn't it??

Maybe invest the money into bionic legs so we can bring back Diz and keep him playing haha

It cost 6 million dollars for two bionic legs, one arm and one eye in 1974. Even with tech prices coming down over the years £50k per leg doesn’t sound enough.
Posted by: Superdan147, July 25, 2019, 7:36am; Reply: 53
Us town fans aye, we moan when we don’t spend any money on players and then when do spend money on one we still moan 🤷🏽‍♂️ . Whilst I understand some of the comments about spending money on a right back when it could possibly be used to sign a cb or attacking midfielder, I’m sure MJ and the board have this in hand. I think it’s clear that MJ puts great importance on his full backs and wants them to be equally as effective going forward as they are defensive. He clearly sees Gibson, Dummigan as two players who can provide the width we need and able to put decent balls in the box for the likes of Hanson/green.

If Dummigan IS the player who can chip in with a few goals and assists but we have to pay a fee so be it. 100k is hardly going to cripple our club. MJ has worked with Dummigan at Burnley for a couple of seasons (in which he won the young player of the year and was highly rated) before having a decent spell at Oldham in league one so I don’t understand why people suggest he’s an unknown?

As for people saying ‘we already have Luke hendrie’ I think we will see hendrie move into the defensive midfielder role Hess has been playing, after all LH started his career as defensive mid and also played in this position for us a handful of times last season and did well. This would give us hendrie, Hess, Hewitt, Clifton and whitehouse fighting for the 3 midfield positions. Any permutation of 3 from them would be strong IMO.
Posted by: AussieMariner, July 25, 2019, 9:04am; Reply: 54
Quoted from KingstonMariner

It cost 6 million dollars for two bionic legs, one arm and one eye in 1974. Even with tech prices coming down over the years £50k per leg doesn’t sound enough.

How are they going for you Kingston? Do you think they’ll see you out?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 25, 2019, 11:08am; Reply: 55
Quoted from AussieMariner

How are they going for you Kingston? Do you think they’ll see you out?

So I’ve been rumbled. I am Lee Majors.

I have woken up a few times legless and barely alive.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 25, 2019, 11:14am; Reply: 56
If MJ thinks he is worth £100,000 and he should know seeing he was at Burnley with him,

That's good enough for me.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 25, 2019, 11:16am; Reply: 57

So I’ve been rumbled. I am Lee Majors.

I have woken up a few times legless and barely alive.

Did you get legless on the NHS or did you have private health insurance?

Posted by: Mariner55, July 25, 2019, 11:19am; Reply: 58
I know this may sound somewhat controversial, but isn't it possible that MJ knows what he's doing?
Posted by: LH, July 25, 2019, 11:20am; Reply: 59
Quoted from Superdan147
Us town fans aye, we moan when we don’t spend any money on players and then when do spend money on one we still moan 🤷🏽‍♂️ . Whilst I understand some of the comments about spending money on a right back when it could possibly be used to sign a cb or attacking midfielder, I’m sure MJ and the board have this in hand. I think it’s clear that MJ puts great importance on his full backs and wants them to be equally as effective going forward as they are defensive. He clearly sees Gibson, Dummigan as two players who can provide the width we need and able to put decent balls in the box for the likes of Hanson/green.

If Dummigan IS the player who can chip in with a few goals and assists but we have to pay a fee so be it. 100k is hardly going to cripple our club. MJ has worked with Dummigan at Burnley for a couple of seasons (in which he won the young player of the year and was highly rated) before having a decent spell at Oldham in league one so I don’t understand why people suggest he’s an unknown?

As for people saying ‘we already have Luke hendrie’ I think we will see hendrie move into the defensive midfielder role Hess has been playing, after all LH started his career as defensive mid and also played in this position for us a handful of times last season and did well. This would give us hendrie, Hess, Hewitt, Clifton and whitehouse fighting for the 3 midfield positions. Any permutation of 3 from them would be strong IMO.

What a load of shite. I’ve never played DM.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 25, 2019, 12:20pm; Reply: 60

Did you get legless on the NHS or did you have private health insurance?

Usually it’s self-financed. 😊
Posted by: golfer, July 25, 2019, 12:50pm; Reply: 61
A bit of credit to J.S.F. if he's given Jolly £100K to spend on one player-he could have paid himself it. Credit where it's due !
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 25, 2019, 6:48pm; Reply: 62
Well according to Dundalk he has 😀
Posted by: Welwynmariner, July 26, 2019, 1:52am; Reply: 63
Well according to Dundalk he has 😀

We should look carefully at what Dundalk did say. I can't see us paying that sort of money as a fee, although it might be a two year contract to the player plus add-ons. Maybe an odd "0" has been added to add spice to the story?

I see they went through in Europe thanks to a Pat Hoban goal. Maybe we should have hung on to him?
Posted by: Abdul19, July 26, 2019, 8:10am; Reply: 64
He wasn't ours to hang on to (and he was rubbish at every English club he played for)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 26, 2019, 9:49am; Reply: 65
Quoted from Welwynmariner

I see they went through in Europe thanks to a Pat Hoban goal. Maybe we should have hung on to him?

Better to have hung on to Danny North. ;)

Posted by: forza ivano, July 26, 2019, 11:58am; Reply: 66

Better to have hung on to Danny North. ;)

almost as big a mistake as not re-recruiting Peter Bore........ :)
Posted by: GollyGTFC, July 26, 2019, 1:49pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from golfer
A bit of credit to J.S.F. if he's given Jolly £100K to spend on one player-he could have paid himself it. Credit where it's due !

No. MJ has a budget. It covers all player costs (wages & acquisitions). If MJ spends £100,000 on a player then he has £100,000 less to spend on wages. Obviously it's a balancing act.
Posted by: golfer, July 26, 2019, 3:52pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from GollyGTFC

No. MJ has a budget. It covers all player costs (wages & acquisitions). If MJ spends £100,000 on a player then he has £100,000 less to spend on wages. Obviously it's a balancing act.

I believe in this case you are wrong
Posted by: smokey111, July 26, 2019, 5:08pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from golfer

I believe in this case you are wrong

How do you know?
Posted by: golfer, July 26, 2019, 5:18pm; Reply: 70
M.M. in this mornings paper.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 26, 2019, 8:15pm; Reply: 71
MM?
Posted by: dicko995, July 26, 2019, 8:38pm; Reply: 72
Nothing on Dundalk page, or f/book or wiki. This is why I hate this site for members who want to be recognised just to have a say. If you don't know anything, then don't make it up. Time and time again we get topics on here, and then it all turns into something different or just jokes, I cant honestly say why I look on here, as most of it is members wanting acknowledged as a fan, or a comedian. Get real guys, lets put facts on, not myths. I come on here to look for news updates and look at comments on away matches, not the ones who want shiney noses for make up stories, end of rant. UTFM.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, July 26, 2019, 8:44pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from dicko995
Nothing on Dundalk page, or f/book or wiki. This is why I hate this site for members who want to be recognised just to have a say. If you don't know anything, then don't make it up. Time and time again we get topics on here, and then it all turns into something different or just jokes, I cant honestly say why I look on here, as most of it is members wanting acknowledged as a fan, or a comedian. Get real guys, lets put facts on, not myths. I come on here to look for news updates and look at comments on away matches, not the ones who want shiney noses for make up stories, end of rant. UTFM.

Great shout
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, July 26, 2019, 9:23pm; Reply: 74
I thought this alleged offer was reported on Sky Sports news, our alleged interest confirmed by the Dundalk local rag reporter and the ever reliable telegraph, so whilst this may prove to be balderdash it’s one of the more “reliable” transfer rumours discussed on here IMHO.
Posted by: golfer, July 26, 2019, 10:08pm; Reply: 75
MM?

Had a little bet that you would be the first to ask Kingston----Mystic Meg   :)
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 26, 2019, 10:11pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from dicko995

Maybe the clue is in the thread title   :)

Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 27, 2019, 2:50am; Reply: 77
Quoted from golfer

Had a little bet that you would be the first to ask Kingston----Mystic Meg   :)

How wotsaname of you. Are you Mystic Meggie?
Posted by: golfer, July 27, 2019, 9:01am; Reply: 78
Quoted from dicko995

You have got to treat everything on here as a joke Dicko as nearly everything is made up. I treat just about everything as FAKE NEWS. -from Freemo to The Docks to Takeovers to J.S.F. faults. You wont get a lot of news so play along-most of it.s for amusement during the summer break
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 5:10am