Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: You stripes UTM, July 21, 2019, 10:03am
Wasn’t able to attend yesterday but hearing really good words about him.

Anyone at the game share some insight on his performance?
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, July 21, 2019, 10:06am; Reply: 1
Sorry no insight as not there, but in addition he is contracted to 2021!

So if develops into the player he could over the season at least we will not lose him at the end of it!
Posted by: Garth, July 21, 2019, 10:19am; Reply: 2
For the older generation, he looked and played like Duncan Edwards when he became a pro.
On yesterdays showing, if it had been someone we had signed we would have been very pleased, never looked out of place against decent opposition and along with Harry, and Rose will only get better.

Things can only get better 8)
Posted by: mariner tommy, July 21, 2019, 11:35am; Reply: 3
Quoted from You stripes UTM
Wasn’t able to attend yesterday but hearing really good words about him.

Anyone at the game share some insight on his performance?

I was there yesterday and it was a good performance all round, but Mattie Pollock was definitely MOM, he never put a foot wrong all game. To be honest all the back four were good, we played 4-3-3, Öhman, Hendrie and Gibson were very good also.
Whitehouse, Hess and Clifton weren’t troubled too much in midfield either, and Hessenthaler’s goal was a superb finish after Green had hit the crossbar. Overall very pleased with our performance.

UTM
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), July 21, 2019, 11:37am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Garth
For the older generation, he looked and played like Duncan Edwards when he became a pro.
On yesterdays showing, if it had been someone we had signed we would have been very pleased, never looked out of place against decent opposition and along with Harry, and Rose will only get better.

Things can only get better 8)

Rose looked good, definitely be challenging for a place up front.
Wow, some tribute for Pollock, no doubt Edwards would have captained England, and would have held the World Cup.
A note of caution, as an 18 yrs old Phil Jones was described as playing like Duncan Edwards. Never fulfilled his potential.

I am so looking forward to the season, these young players are looking full of promise.
Posted by: Hagrid, July 21, 2019, 11:43am; Reply: 5
Quoted from 140067

Rose looked good, definitely be challenging for a place up front.
Wow, some tribute for Pollock, no doubt Edwards would have captained England, and would have held the World Cup.
A note of caution, as an 18 yrs old Phil Jones was described as playing like Duncan Edwards. Never fulfilled his potential.

I am so looking forward to the season, these young players are looking full of promise.

Well he plays for United and is an england international so hasnt done too bad has be
Posted by: hheh2, July 21, 2019, 12:07pm; Reply: 6
Remember him coming on in the Exeter game and did a good job then, maybe the next Ryan Bennett  ;)
Posted by: bigdavemariner, July 21, 2019, 12:11pm; Reply: 7
Mentioned pollock on another thread.

He looked quick and strong (he's well built for a young lad).

Every ball in the air he seems to attack. Almost like he's giving himself a yard so he can go into a header and win the ball. He does the same attacking corners so could easily score this season.

He wasn't being told what to do and positionally seemed confident. Gave us some pace along side Ohman so seemed to compliment each other.

Always looked to play the ball out or carry the ball as well. The modern centre half in the John stones mould.
Posted by: livosnose, July 21, 2019, 12:30pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from hheh2
Remember him coming on in the Exeter game and did a good job then, maybe the next Ryan Bennett  ;)

He also took one right in the buster browns from point blank range ....
Posted by: Maringer, July 21, 2019, 2:48pm; Reply: 9
Pollock did very well, but I don't think you could accuse him (or Ohman) of being quick. They were fast enough, however, against higher division opposition so that is good enough.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 21, 2019, 3:10pm; Reply: 10
Don't play him against Peterborough or Barry Fry will lure him away for peanuts with a crap sell on that he will contest later !  ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), July 21, 2019, 3:46pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Hagrid

Well he plays for United and is an england international so hasnt done too bad has be

Actually I didn't say he'd done badly but has never reached his potential and he's now not even a regular at either.
He was awesome at Blackburn as a teenager.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), July 21, 2019, 3:52pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Don't play him against Peterborough or Barry Fry will lure him away for peanuts with a crap sell on that he will contest later !  ;D ;D ;D

Bet Fry will. Oh no he can't bet can he. ;)
Posted by: Croxton, July 21, 2019, 4:43pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from mariner tommy

I was there yesterday and it was a good performance all round, but Mattie Pollock was definitely MOM, he never put a foot wrong all game. To be honest all the back four were good, we played 4-3-3, Öhman, Hendrie and Gibson were very good also.
Whitehouse, Hess and Clifton weren’t troubled too much in midfield either, and Hessenthaler’s goal was a superb finish after Green had hit the crossbar. Overall very pleased with our performance.

UTM

Agree Pollock MOM. It was Rose who hit the bar however. Clifton OK defensively but he seemed unusually shy about pushing on into the final third sometimes as if ordered to stay behind Ogbu. His passing lets him down sometimes too. Still a key player this season. It may take time for Whitehouse, Ogbu and Harry to gel so that we can enjoy longer spells of possession. Who said Hess isn't a goal threat?

Very enjoyable game and my first visit to Docks Beers rounded it off nicely.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 21, 2019, 7:23pm; Reply: 14
Still only 17 too, signed a pro deal early. A great prospect, potentially 👍

(He was 11 days old when we won at Anfield 😱)
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 21, 2019, 7:51pm; Reply: 15
Didn't realise he had signed a deal a year early.

Christ, he's going to be a beast when he's fully grown!

My biggest doubts about him are around his size and how quickly he can move when he's so thick set. Yesterday though he showed Marquis a clean pair of heels on a few occasions.

Very, very promising.
Posted by: Poojah, July 21, 2019, 8:12pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from diehardmariner
Didn't realise he had signed a deal a year early.

Christ, he's going to be a beast when he's fully grown!

My biggest doubts about him are around his size and how quickly he can move when he's so thick set. Yesterday though he showed Marquis a clean pair of heels on a few occasions.

Very, very promising.

Well, he’s not quite as thick set as his old man, that’s for sure...

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1120367516893810689/AuaFgaqK_400x400.jpg[/img]

Marquis scored 26 in League One last season and is wanted by Sunderland for around £1m. Only a friendly, but very encouraging that he dealt with him so comfortably. For the first time in longer than I can remember, we seem to have a really promising group of youngsters on our books.

Great to see.
Posted by: Maringer, July 21, 2019, 9:57pm; Reply: 17
Premier League levels of flouncing and whinging from Marquis yesterday as well. If we'd actually deliberately stuck one on him, you could understand it, but he was barely fouled.
Posted by: Grimal, July 21, 2019, 10:02pm; Reply: 18
Sadly I never saw Duncan Edwards play, so can't comment on a playing likeness but I see Mattie Pollock as a player similar to Carl Piergianni at Salford City, I saw him play several times for Boston United, an absolute powerhouse and fearless to get a strong tackle in and not affraid to put his head where it hurts.It wasn't unusual to see him finish a game with his head bandaged.He also scored a fair amount of goals for a centre back.
Posted by: jaygy, July 22, 2019, 12:41am; Reply: 19
Marquis should have been sent off for kicking Öhman in the nuts just after being given a yellow card, £1million!? No chance if that’s the sort of attitude he carries during games
Posted by: bedders78, July 22, 2019, 9:53am; Reply: 20
Marquis might be a tool, but he's a proven League 1 goalscorer and if Pollock handled him easily then he's got be be considered a potential starter ahead of Davis.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, July 22, 2019, 10:14am; Reply: 21
It’s great that Pollock is getting some minutes and I hope he’s the next Tony Adams but don’t you think people are getting a little carried away?
He’s 17 and has 1 sub appearance in the league. It would be an amazing achievement for him to make 10 appearances this season. Hopefully he’s a good as people are making out, sometimes I think we have a tendency to get carried away with our youngsters and it puts undue expectation on them. He needs support and patience as he’s 17.
Posted by: Son of Cod, July 22, 2019, 10:46am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Been seeing this mentioned a bit recently. Didn't we get like 400k for him and then another 600k when he went to Norwich?

Quoted from Maringer
Premier League levels of flouncing and whinging from Marquis yesterday as well. If we'd actually deliberately stuck one on him, you could understand it, but he was barely fouled.

I've never fully rated him whenever I see him. He scores a lot, but he misses a lot too.
Posted by: bedders78, July 22, 2019, 11:08am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Son of Cod

Been seeing this mentioned a bit recently. Didn't we get like 400k for him and then another 600k when he went to Norwich?

I've never fully rated him whenever I see him. He scores a lot, but he misses a lot too.

I think Jimmy Greaves said if he'd scored every chance he missed and missed every chance he'd scored then he would've broken every goal scoring record going.
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 8:17am