Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 16, 2019, 5:41pm
https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1151169079736225792
Posted by: Hagrid, July 16, 2019, 5:41pm; Reply: 1
Liam Gibson, LB from Newcastle
Posted by: OllieGTFC, July 16, 2019, 5:45pm; Reply: 2
Won’t be Embleton signed a new contract at Sunderland
Posted by: psgmariner, July 16, 2019, 5:54pm; Reply: 3
Liam Gibson has also just signed a new contract.
Posted by: pizzzza, July 16, 2019, 5:55pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from psgmariner
Liam Gibson has also just signed a new contract.

It's a loan.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 16, 2019, 6:01pm; Reply: 5
Gibson is very lucky to be playing the game by all accounts.

Before last season he had 15 months out with ulcerative colitis and had a large part of his bowel removed.

No pun intended but he's probably busting a gut to make it as a professional.
Posted by: psgmariner, July 16, 2019, 6:02pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from pizzzza

It's a loan.

Good call
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, July 16, 2019, 6:08pm; Reply: 7
Must be good if Newcastle are still keeping him on at 22 despite having played so few games
Posted by: CodHead, July 16, 2019, 6:15pm; Reply: 8
Must be good if Newcastle are still keeping him on at 22 despite having played so few games

Or could it be because Ashley is tight
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 16, 2019, 6:15pm; Reply: 9
Confirmed it's Liam Gibson.
Posted by: Hagrid, July 16, 2019, 6:25pm; Reply: 10
I have crohns disease which is very similar to collitis, its a very difficult problem to deal with and there isnt a cure at this moment in time so for him to be still having a playing career he should be very proud
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), July 16, 2019, 7:01pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Hagrid
I have crohns disease which is very similar to collitis, its a very difficult problem to deal with and there isnt a cure at this moment in time so for him to be still having a playing career he should be very proud

Since I was diagnosed with UC in the 60's treatment has come along way. Biological therapy has kept many patients in remission. If he has an ileostomy then he is a remarkable young man, but is still remarkable with part of or all of his colon removed. Even in remission IBD will cause TATT.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, July 16, 2019, 7:20pm; Reply: 12
Believe Gibsons brother also a defender was sold to Everton by Newcastle maybe a year ago.

Posted by: Mariner Timsky, July 16, 2019, 7:44pm; Reply: 13
Happy with that πŸ‘πŸΌ

Embo signing for Sunderland does that mean he could go out on loan?? πŸ€”
Posted by: toontown, July 16, 2019, 7:56pm; Reply: 14
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/grimsby-newcastle-liam-gibson-signing-3098752.amp

Signed for us cos of the passion for the checkatrade apparently - cringe
Posted by: rancido, July 16, 2019, 7:57pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Gibson is very lucky to be playing the game by all accounts.

Before last season he had 15 months out with ulcerative colitis and had a large part of his bowel removed.

No pun intended but he's probably busting a gut to make it as a professional.

I know how he feels and he has all my sympathy.
Posted by: mariner83, July 16, 2019, 8:35pm; Reply: 16
I've got UC& had to have a stoma 2 years ago - still suffer massively with fatigue, have a lot of admiration for anyone who plays sport professionally with IBD  8)
Posted by: Abdul19, July 16, 2019, 9:06pm; Reply: 17
Has JF been in his ear for that nonsense Checkatrade comment?  ;)

Anyway, good luck to the lad πŸ‘
Posted by: forza ivano, July 16, 2019, 9:08pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from toontown

obviously the passion of the boycott rather than from the couple of hundred in the ground
Posted by: Mariner8, July 16, 2019, 9:15pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Hagrid

How could anyone red cross that?! Some people on here... Honestly!
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 16, 2019, 9:16pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Happy with that πŸ‘πŸΌ

Embo signing for Sunderland does that mean he could go out on loan?? πŸ€”

Wouldn't have thought so  He was saying he wanted guarantees re involvement in their first team squad before he'd sign the contract.
Posted by: Ipswin, July 16, 2019, 9:20pm; Reply: 21
I had a stoma for a year after my op for colon cancer, reversed now thank goodness but major changes to functions remain and will always do so. Fantastic effort indeed by the lad to play with any form of bowel disease or surgery
Posted by: Perkins, July 16, 2019, 9:44pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Mariner8

How could anyone red cross that?! Some people on here... Honestly!

Totally agree, as a fellow sufferer for many years I wouldn't even wish it on the total pratt who red crossed Hagrids post.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 16, 2019, 9:54pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from toontown

Hopefully the lad's got a sarcastic sense of humour.
Posted by: Bigdog, July 16, 2019, 10:17pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Hagrid

Me too.. luckily now in remission after seven lots of extremely painful surgery. Feel free to PM me mate if you want to discuss your symptoms and possible courses of action..

Same to Perkins too..
Posted by: AdamHaddock, July 16, 2019, 10:20pm; Reply: 25
Thought we'd signed Disley's son when I saw the pic
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 16, 2019, 10:36pm; Reply: 26
β€œEven though it was only a Checkatrade game I could feel the passion coming from the fans β€œ

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

How many fans were at that game ?!
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, July 16, 2019, 11:37pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Hagrid

Same here.  Fantastic for him to be playing professional sport though I imagine, his fitness, controlled diet and excellent medical care will help him as long as he's not too ill.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 17, 2019, 7:11am; Reply: 28
Hardly a 'RINGing' endorsement of our present left back is it? First Grayson on loan then strong rumour about Garrett then a couple of triallist and now this lad
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, July 17, 2019, 7:33am; Reply: 29
Great coverage of this in the telegraph today, quite amazing young man really given all he has been through.
Posted by: Meza, July 17, 2019, 7:37am; Reply: 30
Quoted from forza ivano
Hardly a 'RINGing' endorsement of our present left back is it? First Grayson on loan then strong rumour about Garrett then a couple of triallist and now this lad

I think it'll be more to do with competition for places Forza and Ring didn't have any.  Plus always good to have several players in the same position for cover as well.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 17, 2019, 8:33am; Reply: 31
Wow, I didn't know so many people had UC or Crohns!

I got diagnosed with UC about 7/8 years ago, and touch wood, i'm well on top of it at the moment! but as you guys know, that can change very quickly!
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), July 17, 2019, 10:02am; Reply: 32
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Wow, I didn't know so many people had UC or Crohns!

I got diagnosed with UC about 7/8 years ago, and touch wood, i'm well on top of it at the moment! but as you guys know, that can change very quickly!

Mine was diagnosed 50 yrs ago. Removal of colon as it went toxic, then rectum went malignant with UC. Now have Crohns in ileum.
Posted by: carrot top, July 17, 2019, 11:41am; Reply: 33
I've had UC for 9 years, amazing how many people have it. Remission with biologics. Shitty disease (no pun intended)
Posted by: Ipswin, July 17, 2019, 11:54am; Reply: 34
Quoted from 140067

Mine was diagnosed 50 yrs ago. Removal of colon as it went toxic, then rectum went malignant with UC. Now have Crohns in ileum.

50 years gosh! Makes my level 3 colon and liver cancer seem like a doddle. I've only had it 5 years, they only took out a couple of feet and the stoma was only for 12 months.

This lad from Newcastle is obviously a very determined lad indeed, if he can get through all that putting up with GTFC will be a doddle ;)
Posted by: Hagrid, July 17, 2019, 12:03pm; Reply: 35
very surprised with how many on here suffer with the condition! do wish more could be done to raise awareness of it but hey ho
I was diagnosed when I was 12 had the op at 13 in leeds to remove the infected part of the bowel, so had it 11 years now, fatigue the main symptom for me. find a lot of people have it a lot more severe than myself
Posted by: Brazilnut, July 17, 2019, 12:11pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Hagrid
very surprised with how many on here suffer with the condition! do wish more could be done to raise awareness of it but hey ho
I was diagnosed when I was 12 had the op at 13 in leeds to remove the infected part of the bowel, so had it 11 years now, fatigue the main symptom for me. find a lot of people have it a lot more severe than myself

Just a thought how about a donation from the latest pontoon buster seeing so many on here suffer and the trust have said they wouldn't mind
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 17, 2019, 12:12pm; Reply: 37
Our best teams have been when fans can relate to players. Hanson was stacking shelves before going pro, Clifton and Wright are homegrown, Macca has immersed himself locally.

But in Gibson, I'm surprised at how many posters that can relate to what he's gone through!
Posted by: Ipswin, July 17, 2019, 12:19pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Hagrid

Darren Fletcher ex Man U had similar battle if I recall

Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 17, 2019, 12:29pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Ipswin

Darren Fletcher ex Man U had similar battle if I recall

Steve Redgrave won a fifth gold medical after his diagnosis too.
Posted by: livosnose, July 17, 2019, 12:35pm; Reply: 40
Mrs Livosose has/had UC as well .....
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 17, 2019, 1:03pm; Reply: 41
Crikey. Is this a really common condition across the country or is the incidence in people from GY high?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 17, 2019, 1:24pm; Reply: 42
Don't know about others, but when ever I get bad again, I.e toilet 11/12 times a day, mostly just to pass blood... sorry if that's a bit much for some, I just feel talking about it is the best way!

I get put on prednisolone each time, and whilst they do make you get chubby very quick, they always worked wonders for me!

I'm now on a high dosage of Mezalazine, and they have kept it under control for a good 3-4 months now
Posted by: Perkins, July 17, 2019, 1:28pm; Reply: 43
Strangely this week has brought back memories (not good) of my first operation for Crohns. I was recovering in hospital and laid in bed watching the first moon landing on b&w TV.  Fifty years ago this week. Seventy one now and still kicking. You cant cure it but you can control it.and live with it.
Best wishes to all fellow sufferers.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 17, 2019, 1:38pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Brazilnut

Just a thought how about a donation from the latest pontoon buster seeing so many on here suffer and the trust have said they wouldn't mind

I've already arranged to donate the 25% from this buster to The Fans Of The Future appeal, but as I usually run 3 or 4 busters over the course of the season, I see no reason why I shouldn't donate from what I take in the next buster, if someone could recommend a charity that deals with this disease.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 17, 2019, 1:54pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Les Brechin

I've already arranged to donate the 25% from this buster to The Fans Of The Future appeal, but as I usually run 3 or 4 busters over the course of the season, I see no reason why I shouldn't donate from what I take in the next buster, if someone could recommend a charity that deals with this disease.

https://www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk/

Great website this, and they on facebook too
Posted by: mariner83, July 17, 2019, 2:02pm; Reply: 46
I'll be running (sort of  :o  ) GY10K in my CCUK top on Sunday if anyone would like to sponsor me?  [url=https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/natfrancis]https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/natfrancis[/url]

It's not until you get diagnosed you realise just how common it is, as carrot top says it really is a shitty disease.  *touch wood* since my op I've had very few symptoms so I'm drug free currently.

Hope everyone who's posted is as well as they can be!
Posted by: Rik e B, July 17, 2019, 2:21pm; Reply: 47
A close friend has had a lump discovered in their bowels but NHS can't look at till April 2020! I'm kinda hoping it's something like this and not cancer, not that I know what's worse, any advice what to do in the meantime welcome
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 17, 2019, 3:02pm; Reply: 48
Go private!!
Posted by: mariner83, July 17, 2019, 3:09pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Rik e B
A close friend has had a lump discovered in their bowels but NHS can't look at till April 2020! I'm kinda hoping it's something like this and not cancer, not that I know what's worse, any advice what to do in the meantime welcome

This gives patients the legal right to treatment within 18 weeks of referral (18 week RTT) and as part of this, pledges that patients should not be required to wait six weeks or longer for a diagnostic test. NHS England's planning guidance states that there is a threshold of 99% for this pledge.

[url=https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/01/DWTA-Report-November.pdf]https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/01/DWTA-Report-November.pdf[/url]
Posted by: Ipswin, July 17, 2019, 3:15pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Rik e B

Kick bottom (excuse the pun) and carry on kicking bottom until it gets sorted.

You say a lump has already been found so I assume a colonoscopy has already been done and what the 'lump' is should therefore already be known as they will have taken a biopsy. If the delay is a colonoscopy appointment its ridiculous, you can get one at a weeks notice. Where on earth does your friend live?

If there is any possibility at all that the lump is cancerous there is no way that a date any further ahead than 4 weeks can be given. The NHS are now enjoined to commence cancer treatment within 4 weeks of diagnosis. Perhaps therefore it will give your friend confidence that it is not cancer.

I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer in January 2015 and commenced chemo in mid March with a stoma op six months later. The delay was sadly my fault not going to my doctor earlier and it spread to my liver (and now my lungs) but at all times treatment was timely as the NHS cancer targets are now mostly adhered to.(but still perhaps dependent on where you live unfortunately)

Whatever you friends problem even if it's not cancer  it cannot and must not take until April next year to treat (or worse diagnose) Get in there and bang the flipping desk until they do something, don't wait!

Note to mods Sorry this is getting a bit 'non-footy' but if it saves someones life...
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 17, 2019, 3:33pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Rik e B

That's a disgraceful waiting time for any kind of treatment. As Ipswin says your friend need to seriously get onto someone about this.  I'd also recommend contacting PALS. https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/nhs-services-and-treatments/what-is-pals-patient-advice-and-liaison-service/
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), July 17, 2019, 3:55pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Perkins
Strangely this week has brought back memories (not good) of my first operation for Crohns. I was recovering in hospital and laid in bed watching the first moon landing on b&w TV.  Fifty years ago this week. Seventy one now and still kicking. You cant cure it but you can control it.and live with it.
Best wishes to all fellow sufferers.

Oh my I was 12 yrs old I weighed just over two stone, I'd been in hospital since March, the Consultant came to me and said the biopsy we took shows UC, what was on TV at the time, yes the moon landings. Wow.
My worst days were as much as 80 times a day to the toilet, better days 12-15. Up and down all night.
Got lucky was operated on in London on boxing day 1971, an emergency op.
Posted by: Rik e B, July 17, 2019, 4:11pm; Reply: 53
There is no diagnosis as yet, this person went in about some problems and a lump was discovered in bowels amongst other issues - I'm not sure how it was found. They have been referred to Gastroenterology-Medicine-DPOW Hospital Grimsby-RJL30 but have been told they stacked out till April 2020.

If it is cancer that likely a death sentence was my thought on hearing.

I'll try find out more, obviously this a very private matter and the person in question probably wouldn't be too happy if knew about this here as told me in confidence, one of only three people. But advice is very helpful.

Again sorry Rob, but traffic is very low on non-footy section, or perhaps a health concern and support thread could be started. Many people with lots of wisdom on these matters here.

Just makes you realise how some things are so much more important than football, we argue and bicker ripping pieces out of the likes of Swin without a thought for what people are going through. Of course it's a football forum and debate is good and shouldn't be stifled, but it just makes you realise.

Thanks to everybody, and all the best with your own issues.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 17, 2019, 4:23pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Rik e B

Just makes you realise how some things are so much more important than football, we argue and bicker ripping pieces out of the likes of Swin without a thought for what people are going through. Of course it's a football forum and debate is good and shouldn't be stifled, but it just makes you realise.

So true. I used to just go about life without many cares in the world, until I was told I had a brain tumour. It's one of those things that you know about but you think just happens to someone else. Thankfully after 7 operations over almost 4 years I am now totally tumour free, although I do have part of my skull missing now,  and I'm back to living my life how I used to, albeit having to take anti-seizure tablets every day, but I certainly don't take anything for granted these days like I used to.

Posted by: Ipswin, July 17, 2019, 4:24pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Rik e B
There is no diagnosis as yet, this person went in about some problems and a lump was discovered in bowels amongst other issues - I'm not sure how it was found. They have been referred to Gastroenterology-Medicine-DPOW Hospital Grimsby-RJL30 but have been told they stacked out till April 2020.

If it is cancer that likely a death sentence was my thought on hearing.

I'll try find out more, obviously this a very private matter and the person in question probably wouldn't be too happy if knew about this here as told me in confidence, one of only three people. But advice is very helpful.

Again sorry Rob, but traffic is very low on non-footy section, or perhaps a health concern and support thread could be started. Many people with lots of wisdom on these matters here.

Tell your mate to start making noises NOW, I can't believe there are no colonoscopy appts. until April! Thats total balderdash.
Posted by: SuperJoeyWaters, July 17, 2019, 4:44pm; Reply: 56
I too have Crohns in the ileum. Was diagnosed in 1986 and had 26cm of my bowel removed. I still take daily medication and have regular check ups at the hospital every 6 months. I have a completely normal life except no spicy food  
Posted by: LH, July 17, 2019, 4:50pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Ipswin

Tell your mate to start making noises NOW, I can't believe there are no colonoscopy appts. until April! Thanks total balderdash.

I had a four month wait for an initial appointment with that department. In the time waiting my symptoms mostly cleared! It’s one of the departments that is shared across the whole of North Lincs so they’re only at Gy maybe once a week or maybe even a fortnight.

Anyway - excrement thread this. ;)
Posted by: Rik e B, July 17, 2019, 5:24pm; Reply: 58
Sorry to keep going on but can one request an appointment elsewhere if say are willing to travel? Or is it a postcode lottery type thing with the NHS?
Posted by: Ipswin, July 17, 2019, 6:05pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Rik e B
Sorry to keep going on but can one request an appointment elsewhere if say are willing to travel? Or is it a postcode lottery type thing with the NHS?

I don't know mate but going private for a colonoscopy might be an idea. The treatment once diagnosed could be (and should be on the NHS but an early diagnosis is vital - whatever it is)

I lost 25cms of bowel, suffered a stoma for a year and now have a bowel which does its own thing periodically resulting in multi bathroom trips some days, how I wish I'd been diagnosed sooner.

Drag your mate there if necessary, amazing how appointments appear when the cash is produced
Posted by: codcheeky, July 17, 2019, 6:23pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Rik e B

9 years of Tory cuts and needless austerity. It was like this before 1997 as well, the Tories have always hated the concept of the NHS, and are undermining it at every turn again
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 17, 2019, 6:37pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Ipswin

Drag your mate there if necessary, amazing how appointments appear when the cash is produced

That's easy to say Ipswin but a lot of people can't afford to go private.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, July 17, 2019, 6:51pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Ipswin

I don't know mate but going private for a colonoscopy might be an idea. The treatment once diagnosed could be (and should be on the NHS but an early diagnosis is vital - whatever it is)

I lost 25cms of bowel, suffered a stoma for a year and now have a bowel which does its own thing periodically resulting in multi bathroom trips some days, how I wish I'd been diagnosed sooner.

As I am typing, my mother-in-law in over at Castle Hill in hull, for a colonoscopy. Having been messed about at Grimsby for so long, had to apply pressure to her GP for a appointment, out of the area. Got a appointment within 3 weeks,
Those who shout the loudest, get sorted alot quicker.
Posted by: Ipswin, July 17, 2019, 7:06pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Les Brechin

That's easy to say Ipswin but a lot of people can't afford to go private.

Unfortunately true Les but I was just suggesting a private colonoscopy to get a diagnosis then hopefully any necessary treatment would be as outstanding as ours has been on the NHS. Diagnosis is everything if cancer is at all suspected, anyway it sounds (from the next post) that a quicker exam is possible in Hull if you shout loud enough.

Posted by: Brazilnut, July 17, 2019, 7:41pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from Les Brechin

So sorry less must have missed the post about fans of the future ...... didn't mean to tread on toes .....just a quick unthoughtabout post sorry again
Posted by: rancido, July 17, 2019, 8:03pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from Bigdog

Me too.. luckily now in remission after seven lots of extremely painful surgery. Feel free to PM me mate if you want to discuss your symptoms and possible courses of action..

Same to Perkins too..

I feel for anybody with these problems. I had a sub total colectomy 21 years ago to remove a bowel cancer. The first couple of years were surreal , constantly wondering if it would return and every abdominal pain freaking me out. I'm still here and never think about it now.
Posted by: mariner83, July 17, 2019, 9:06pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Ipswin

I lost 25cms of bowel, suffered a stoma for a year

I'd rather have a bag, than be dead which ultimately would have been the case if I didn't have one.
If the medication didn't kill me (sepsis from having to have my immune system wiped out) it would have been my colon rupturing due to how ulcerated it was.

I know it's not ideal, but I hope if someone needed to have a stoma at some point I'd be able to talk to them and let them know it's not always a negative thing.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 17, 2019, 9:06pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Brazilnut

So sorry less must have missed the post about fans of the future ...... didn't mean to tread on toes .....just a quick unthoughtabout post sorry again

No need to apologise at all mate. I'll bear the charity in mind when I run the seasons 2nd buster.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 17, 2019, 9:09pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Ipswin

Unfortunately true Les but I was just suggesting a private colonoscopy to get a diagnosis then hopefully any necessary treatment would be as outstanding as ours has been on the NHS. Diagnosis is everything if cancer is at all suspected, anyway it sounds (from the next post) that a quicker exam is possible in Hull if you shout loud enough.

I was lucky (if I can use that word) that my tumour was found during a routine eyetest at the opticians.

I was admitted to Gy hospital the same day and transferred directly to Hull after a CT and MRI scan.
Posted by: Ipswin, July 17, 2019, 9:15pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from mariner83

I'd rather have a bag, than be dead which ultimately would have been the case if I didn't have one.
If the medication didn't kill me (sepsis from having to have my immune system wiped out) it would have been my colon rupturing due to how ulcerated it was.

I know it's not ideal, but I hope if someone needed to have a stoma at some point I'd be able to talk to them and let them know it's not always a negative thing.

intercourse me I even get a bollocking on a non-footy topic now when I am attempting to help / advise someone! You know exactly what I meant, possibly I used the wrong word. I too would have died had I not had an operation and stoma albeit just for a year.

My point of course was that had I had an earlier diagnosis, which is what we are discussing in respect of Riks friend, I would not have had to have had a stoma and would not have 'suffered'/experienced the difficulties (?) it entails at all.

Posted by: Bigdog, July 17, 2019, 11:23pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from rancido

I feel for anybody with these problems. I had a sub total colectomy 21 years ago to remove a bowel cancer. The first couple of years were surreal , constantly wondering if it would return and every abdominal pain freaking me out. I'm still here and never think about it now.

Sorry to hear of your problems mate and pleased you've survived to tell the tale. This thread proves that we're all part of the GTFC family whether we agree about things or go hammer and tongs from opposite points of view.

To avoid or reduce further symptoms and pain, I've always drank loads of water (well above the daily recommended amount) to keep the digestive system from getting dehydrated in any way and stayed away from fizzy soft drinks, seems to help a great deal.

The lad from Newcastle also seems a decent signing on paper by the way..
Posted by: Rik e B, July 18, 2019, 12:19am; Reply: 71
Thanks again all, to link back to the actual footy subject of this thread, for me it goes to show how this young man's brave battle and determination to still succeed in professional football can not only be an inspiration but also help raise awareness of such issues.

People talk of footballers as role models, but this guy is the real deal on that front.

Who knows, hopefully in my friends particular case it turns out to be nothing, but the raising of awareness that has caused people to open up about could have a knock on effect and maybe save a life!

I might be being melodramatic, but like many sufferers of mental illness say Tyson Fury's comeback from the abyss has inspired and saved them so the seeds of positivity laid by this young man could blossom into quite an amazing outcome if someone was to get diagnosed and saved earlier as a result.

Of course he needs to do the business on the pitch but I'll be viewing him fondly from the start and as such will be giving him a bit of leeway before lambasting him as garbage (not that I'm quick to do so most the time and certainly not one to heckle).

Peace. πŸ™
Posted by: rancido, July 18, 2019, 1:13pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from Bigdog

Sorry to hear of your problems mate and pleased you've survived to tell the tale. This thread proves that we're all part of the GTFC family whether we agree about things or go hammer and tongs from opposite points of view.

To avoid or reduce further symptoms and pain, I've always drunk loads of water (well above the daily recommended amount) to keep the digestive system from getting dehydrated in any way and stayed away from fizzy soft drinks, seems to help a great deal.

The lad from Newcastle also seems a decent signing on paper by the way..

Thanx for that , Bigdog and if nothing else, this thread has demonstrated how many people are affected by these problems. Like you say, as far as GTFC is concerned , we all want the same thing but there are varying opinions on what the root cause is and how to remedy it. It's good to have opinions and express them, likewise it is wrong to berate someone because their view differs from your own.

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 18, 2019, 2:59pm; Reply: 73
Delays in diagnosis can sometimes be fatal.  The private option should at least be considered. 17 years ago my wife could not wait for a NHS consultant for a respiratory problem.  Her GP sent off a referral for a private consultant (who also worked at the local hospital).

A diagnosis took 1 appointment after a few tests.  The cost was about Β£150.  As we then had a diagnosis, she jumped the NHS queue to see a hospital consultant (which can be the same consultant as seen privately).

The best money ever spent. Current initial costs are likely to be lower than an iPhone purchase.  Your health is paramount - as shown above in many difficult issues that posters are living with.

(My wife now has a chronic and progressing lung disease.  Despite never smoking.  We had to go down the private route as the GP’s were dire.  Expensive but the rare diagnosis and treatment were first class and timely.  Even if we had to go to Leeds  each time.  Best use of inherited money we have made.  Would do the same again even if on a credit card).
Posted by: acko338, July 18, 2019, 3:04pm; Reply: 74
Back to Liam Gibson - welcome, and I hope that you are able to overcome a horrid health problem and be able to play on a more consistent level as you gain strength. This may be a fair level to test yourself and sincerely hope that you have a successful period with us and consider staying longer if everything works out ok.

We are fickle fans but the length of thread with so many sufferers should help you to be given time and consideration in your quest to stay as a full time footballer.

Greedily we all hope you smash it and become a fan favourite !
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 10:08am