Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: marinerrick, July 11, 2019, 6:59am
Never been to Boston ground, going tonight though. What's parking like and am guessing it's pay on gate.
Posted by: topuphere666, July 11, 2019, 7:55am; Reply: 1
Lots of street parking available nearby, I’m assuming the official car park will be open and not overly busy. Nice little ground to be fair
Posted by: cannylad68, July 11, 2019, 8:28am; Reply: 2
I've played on Boston United pitch.

Arrived early for a gig at the Gliderdrome in the 60's, as we always had a football with us, we climbed over the fence and has a kick about.
Posted by: friskneymariner, July 11, 2019, 8:50am; Reply: 3
What time is kick off.
Posted by: marinerrick, July 11, 2019, 9:02am; Reply: 4
Posted by: Garth, July 11, 2019, 9:52am; Reply: 5
Plenty of off street parking available, and some also in their club car park.
Posted by: Heisenberg, July 11, 2019, 11:07am; Reply: 6
Quoted from topuphere666
Lots of street parking available nearby, I’m assuming the official car park will be open and not overly busy. Nice little ground to be fair

I think it's an absolute dump.  It makes Blundell Park look like the San Siro.
Posted by: 28195 (Guest), July 11, 2019, 11:21am; Reply: 7
Lucky enough to go for the joy of 6, Alan Buckley part three. My lads first away day, he was six and not the best game to stand behind the goal.
Posted by: Perkins, July 11, 2019, 11:36am; Reply: 8
Take a mac and a cap. Never seen so much pigeon crap in my life.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 11, 2019, 12:55pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from marinerrick

Just been moved on police advice to midnight
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 11, 2019, 2:36pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from 28195
Lucky enough to go for the joy of 6, Alan Buckley part three. My lads first away day, he was six and not the best game to stand behind the goal.

Enjoy.

[youtube]SWswRMeGS2M[/youtube]
Posted by: geir, July 11, 2019, 2:52pm; Reply: 11
I have a weak spot for Boston. I hope they go up this year.
Only because of "Bostonian" if anyone here remembers him? Seems to me like a great guy!

But tonight Boston will have to lose because of an invincible opponent! :-)

UTM
Posted by: marinerdazza, July 11, 2019, 3:20pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from geir
I have a weak spot for Boston. I hope they go up this year.
Only because of "Bostonian" if anyone here remembers him? Seems to me like a great guy!

But tonight Boston will have to lose because of an invincible opponent! :-)

UTM

I remember him. Incredibly upbeat and bulletproof to insults.

I don't mind Boston either. We seem to have the relationship with Boston that we used to have with Lincoln a few decades ago.
Posted by: Welwynmariner, July 11, 2019, 4:00pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from marinerrick
Never been to Boston ground, going tonight though. What's parking like and am guessing it's pay on gate.

I've driven up in the past and never had a problem parking. The ground is on the ring road, on the left if coming from the north.

It's a pity that Boston dropped out of the league because it was less than 2 hours from London to see a local derby match
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, July 11, 2019, 5:17pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from cannylad68
I've played on Boston United pitch.

Arrived early for a gig at the Gliderdrome in the 60's, as we always had a football with us, we climbed over the fence and has a kick about.

Played against Boston United reserves in Linc League 1984 and they had a certain Diddy Gilbert playing for them, amazing he was released by Lincoln and was playing Sunday League footy at this time, as was Gary Crosby, shows fortunes can change.
Posted by: mariner91, July 11, 2019, 5:44pm; Reply: 15
Played at York Street in April, good surface so hopefully Town can really spray it about tonight. As for the stadium, I have a soft spot for it. Yes it's crap but it has buckets of character.
Posted by: hheh2, July 11, 2019, 7:25pm; Reply: 16
Teams in v young XI
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, July 11, 2019, 7:26pm; Reply: 17
https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1149383163250118656?s=09

Young team out, I'm probably just as interested to see how they do as I am the first team to be fair
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 11, 2019, 7:36pm; Reply: 18
Is it the same trialists do we know or someone else?
Posted by: Posh Harry, July 11, 2019, 7:45pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Les Brechin

Enjoy.

I did.

Thank you

UTFM
Posted by: Davec, July 11, 2019, 7:45pm; Reply: 20
Alex Penny is playing, anybody know who the other trialist is? I assume Garrett?
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 11, 2019, 7:53pm; Reply: 21
Does not look like Garrett?
Posted by: Poojah, July 11, 2019, 8:04pm; Reply: 22
Great idea for both sides to be wearing all blue...

[img]https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/incoming/article3083071.ece/ALTERNATES/s510b/0_WhatsApp-Image-2019-07-11-at-195226jpeg.jpg[/img]
Posted by: hheh2, July 11, 2019, 8:08pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Poojah
Great idea for both sides to be wearing all blue...

[img]https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/incoming/article3083071.ece/ALTERNATES/s510b/0_WhatsApp-Image-2019-07-11-at-195226jpeg.jpg[/img]

Good opportunity to try out our pink one, or salmon if you're that way inclined
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 11, 2019, 8:35pm; Reply: 24
1-0 Boston, penalty.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, July 11, 2019, 8:41pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from arryarryarry
1-0 Boston, penalty.

Disgraceful- Jolley out!
Posted by: Tradjazz, July 11, 2019, 8:49pm; Reply: 26
Bubble has burst. Back to normal.
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 11, 2019, 8:50pm; Reply: 27
1-1 :)
Posted by: Tradjazz, July 11, 2019, 8:51pm; Reply: 28
Hang on we might be ok. Don't fully pack your suitcase yet Mr Jolley, leave the lid open.
Posted by: prestonmariner, July 11, 2019, 8:52pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Tradjazz
Bubble has burst. Back to normal.

Bubble partially reformed
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 11, 2019, 8:55pm; Reply: 30

I've got more than a feeling we are going to win tonight. 😂
Posted by: Heisenberg, July 11, 2019, 9:01pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from promotion plaice

I've got more than a feeling we are going to win tonight. 😂

I get it, even if some of the young ‘uns might not!
Posted by: mariner tommy, July 11, 2019, 9:05pm; Reply: 32
Does anyone know who scored our goal please ?
Posted by: Croxton, July 11, 2019, 9:09pm; Reply: 33
Green
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 11, 2019, 9:10pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from mariner tommy
Does anyone know who scored our goal please ?

He was wearing a blue shirt if that's any help.
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 11, 2019, 9:13pm; Reply: 35
Attendance 682 I think with 200 odd town fans and they have just seen Boston go 2-1 up :(
Posted by: denni266, July 11, 2019, 9:15pm; Reply: 36
a great strike by all accounts
Posted by: Tradjazz, July 11, 2019, 9:15pm; Reply: 37
Shut that suitcase lid, Mr Jolley, bye bye!
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 11, 2019, 9:16pm; Reply: 38
That's your lot folks, first defeat, lost 2-1.
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, July 11, 2019, 9:20pm; Reply: 39
Oh well. These friendlies are the "fitness" ones. Assuming we will be playing what Jolley will see as his starting 11 against Donny and Peterborough.
Posted by: Tradjazz, July 11, 2019, 9:20pm; Reply: 40
Thankfully I have not renewed my season ticket this time after supporting them for 65 years!
Fed up with no ambition or investment into the club.
Will watch home and away games free of charge on IPTV ifollow as well as a choice of all the EFL and Premiership 3pm kick offs.
:) :) :) :) :) :)

Posted by: bobbyturtle, July 11, 2019, 9:21pm; Reply: 41
lampard out haha
Posted by: Stadium, July 11, 2019, 9:22pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Tradjazz
Thankfully I have not renewed my season ticket this time after supporting them for 65 years!
Will watch home and away games free of charge on IPTV ifollow as well as a choice of all the EFL and Premiership 3pm kick offs.

Far too obvious wind up, otherwise ridiculous.

Posted by: Rik e B, July 11, 2019, 9:31pm; Reply: 43
Did you wait two weeks for the first non-win to spout that Tradjazz?
Posted by: Ipswin, July 11, 2019, 9:33pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Rik e B
Did you wait two weeks for the first non-win to spout that Tradjazz?

Be fair we don't normally have to wait that long

Posted by: Rik e B, July 11, 2019, 9:35pm; Reply: 45
That guy makes you seem positive!
Posted by: barralad, July 11, 2019, 9:40pm; Reply: 46
Decent work out against a team that on that showing will do O.K. in Conference North.
Thought our number 2 who played 90 mins did well. Hanson is going to be a real handful. The sort of player we always seem to face. Within 60 seconds of being on the pitch he'd laid one off and had a decent shot himself.
Whitehouse also impressed and Green's finish had all the signs of someone who knows where the goal is.
Slightly worried by their winner not from Battersby's perspective but the lad was given far too much time against probably our best defenders (at least on paper)
Posted by: Rik e B, July 11, 2019, 9:45pm; Reply: 47
Ahh the voice of reason 👍. Having not attended from what I read we gone down to a penalty and a wonder strike, but if given too much space that something that needs to be addressed. But, minutes in the legs, a good workout, forwards we go.
Posted by: marinerdazza, July 11, 2019, 9:56pm; Reply: 48
I’m hearing Whitehouse’s name mentioned far more than I thought it would this early on. Fair play to him.
Posted by: sydney, July 11, 2019, 10:25pm; Reply: 49
Know only a friendly but thought we where very poor
Pilgrims simply wanted it more and out fort us in midfield
We Didn’t seem to play with any system
Two new forwards looked sharp but overall v disappointing
I’m sure it will Be Sorted by 3rd Aug Mr J??
Posted by: sam gy, July 11, 2019, 10:39pm; Reply: 50
3rd game in 6 days while doing double sessions. Really is no need to look into the score line at all.
Posted by: Kris2, July 11, 2019, 10:54pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from sam gy
3rd game in 6 days while doing double sessions. Really is no need to look into the score line at all.

Unless we win. In which case people will be talking about how big a win it is.
Posted by: gobby, July 11, 2019, 11:21pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from barralad
Decent work out against a team that on that showing will do O.K. in Conference North.
Thought our number 2 who played 90 mins did well. Hanson is going to be a real handful. The sort of player we always seem to face. Within 60 seconds of being on the pitch he'd laid one off and had a decent shot himself.
Whitehouse also impressed and Green's finish had all the signs of someone who knows where the goal is.
Slightly worried by their winner not from Battersby's perspective but the lad was given far too much time against probably our best defenders (at least on paper)

Battersby! He has aged since his last game v Grantham two days ago😂
Could be wrong Ian but I thought it was Sam Russell. 8)
UTMM

Posted by: barralad, July 11, 2019, 11:28pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from gobby

Battersby! He has aged since his last game v Grantham two days ago😂
Could be wrong Ian but I thought it was Sam Russell. 8)
UTMM

I highly doubt you are wrong! My eyesight clearly isn't what it was. The shot was a cracker though and Macca himself would've been tested!
Posted by: nightrider, July 11, 2019, 11:53pm; Reply: 54
Never played football but competed in another sport at a reasonable evel - I don't understand how a professional athletes fitness can deteriorate so much in a 6week break? When listening to managers, players, fans, you'd think they'd lost most of it and need to regain fitness. Presumably its just a saying and players just need to find their feet after being away from competive matches. I would have thought fitness levels would be better after a break if anything
Stories from years ago of certain players in their 20s coming back a couple of stone over weight.
Posted by: Rik e B, July 11, 2019, 11:59pm; Reply: 55
Match fitness, can only be achieved through playing games. Apparently (was never a plater at any great level).
Posted by: sam gy, July 12, 2019, 12:08am; Reply: 56
Quoted from nightrider
Never played football but competed in another sport at a reasonable evel - I don't understand how a professional athletes fitness can deteriorate so much in a 6week break? When listening to managers, players, fans, you'd think they'd lost most of it and need to regain fitness. Presumably its just a saying and players just need to find their feet after being away from competive matches. I would have thought fitness levels would be better after a break if anything
Stories from years ago of certain players in their 20s coming back a couple of stone over weight.

During the season, they’re training most of the week and playing a professional football match once or twice a week. During the break they’re....not.

Pretty easy to see why fitness/sharpness would drop off.
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 12, 2019, 5:41am; Reply: 57
The goals:

Another one from a long throw. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSDFrV9zCy0
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, July 12, 2019, 6:48am; Reply: 58
Let's put this into perspective, it's hardly a do or die game and more about getting some match time into the players legs and also integrating the new boys into the team...
My god, Accrington did Marseille 2-1 last night, it doesn't mean Accrington are going to be European champions or that Marseille are no better cannon fodder!!...
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 12, 2019, 8:32am; Reply: 59
Quoted from nightrider

It's not fitness as such, it's sharpness.  The days of players coming back overweight and hanging at the first training session are largely in the past now.  You only have to look at the pictures of the Town players on the first day of training to see that they keep themselves fit in the off-season.  

The general fitness will remain, they'll still be very, very fit lads who will put the vast majority of regular folk to shame.  That extra edge, specifically match fitness, is very easy to lose in any sport.
Posted by: psgmariner, July 12, 2019, 9:41am; Reply: 60
Important and telling if we win and irrelevant if we lose.

Just stick to this quick and easy guide to judging friendlies and you will be fine.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 12, 2019, 9:50am; Reply: 61
Quoted from Tradjazz

You won't be missed!

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 12, 2019, 9:51am; Reply: 62
Quoted from Ipswin

Be fair we don't normally have to wait that long

All the usual idiots turning up as soon as we lose.  Though tbf, Ipswin is just a troll.

Posted by: Maringer, July 12, 2019, 10:23am; Reply: 63
Some nice passing and movement from Boston before their first goal. No complaints about that penalty as it was a very clumsy challenge. Something looked a bit odd about the winner - did it take a slight deflection off the defender? Very poor that we didn't try to close the player down a bit more, however.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 12, 2019, 10:28am; Reply: 64
Telewag reporting Charlie Fox, ex QPR, as the other triallist

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Fox_(footballer)
Posted by: MarshMariner, July 12, 2019, 10:33am; Reply: 65
Had an interesting career based on that wikipedia.. :)
Posted by: Perkins, July 12, 2019, 10:34am; Reply: 66
Quoted from forza ivano

Think the link need a bit of adjustment.
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 12, 2019, 11:00am; Reply: 67
That’s a name from the past for some on here !!
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 12, 2019, 11:01am; Reply: 68
Quoted from forza ivano

Major league baseball to League 2 football eh. Will be interesting to see how he adapts.  ;D
Posted by: barralad, July 12, 2019, 11:48am; Reply: 69
Quoted from Civvy at last
That’s a name from the past for some on here !!

Ask Mr J.J. Burnel of The Stranglers   :) :)
Posted by: Grimal, July 12, 2019, 11:56am; Reply: 70
Charlie Fox (footballer)
Joining Queens Park Rangers at the age of eight, Fox signed his first professional contract in May 2018.

On 30 August 2018, Fox made the move to League One side, Wycombe Wanderers on loan until January 2019. Five days later, he made his professional debut during a 1–0 away victory over Northampton Town in their EFL Trophy group-stage tie. Fox went onto appear just once more before returning to Queens Park Rangers in the new year.

On 22 February 2019, Fox was sent out on loan to non-league side, Basingstoke Town on a one-month deal.

On 1 May 2019, it was announced that Fox would leave Queens Park Rangers at the end of the 2018-19 season.

Career statistics
Posted by: Madeleymariner, July 12, 2019, 12:18pm; Reply: 71
Who was wearing the no17 shirt that gave away the pen (really clumsy) and failed to close down for the goal as well?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 12, 2019, 12:19pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from Les Brechin

Major league baseball to League 2 football eh. Will be interesting to see how he adapts.  ;D

I think the bigger challenge will be how he adapts to competing against the living after 15 years of death.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 12, 2019, 12:47pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Who was wearing the no17 shirt that gave away the pen (really clumsy) and failed to close down for the goal as well?

That's was him! Charlie Fox ! Oh dear!
Posted by: forza ivano, July 12, 2019, 12:51pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Perkins

Think the link need a bit of adjustment.

lol
tried cutting and pasting it again and same thinks happen.anyway, just google charlie fox footballer and you'll get there
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 12, 2019, 1:03pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from barralad

Ask Mr J.J. Burnel of The Stranglers   :) :)

Indeed. Never did get the dent out of his shoe  ;)
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 12, 2019, 2:11pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I think the bigger challenge will be how he adapts to competing against the living after 15 years of death.

Ha ha. I didn't notice that!  ??)

Posted by: Son of Cod, July 12, 2019, 3:22pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from Les Brechin

Enjoy.

Hahaha, one of my favourite ever things anyone ever did on TFF was when that Boston fan Scotty claimed one of our goals was offside or something and that it could have ended differently had it not been for that.
Posted by: Rik e B, July 12, 2019, 6:31pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Hi Charlie, bye Charlie
Posted by: barralad, July 12, 2019, 9:25pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Their lad left him for dead..
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, July 12, 2019, 9:28pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from Rik e B

Hi Charlie, bye Charlie

More like "what a Charlie""..🤔🤔
Posted by: Marinerz93, July 13, 2019, 10:51am; Reply: 81
What a goal from the Boston player good enough to win any game, the most important part for me about friendlies is how did the team generally play, given how many of what we would believe was first team players and what strength do we have in reserve.

How are we shaping up and we will only get a real sight of that as we play who is considered who will be the first names on the team sheet against equal or higher opposition.

I'm getting that feeling in my waters that this coming season is going to be a good one, that or I have got an infection.

Diagnosis, GTFC infection and we all know how infectious that is, especially as the new season draws closer  ;D
Posted by: cjbill, July 13, 2019, 7:06pm; Reply: 82
I thought it was Jock Curran that gave away the penalty. But I was only watching the highlights
Posted by: Rik e B, July 14, 2019, 1:31am; Reply: 83
If Lincoln had Grimsbyitis we need a heavier dose! Maybe Shutes can inject us and help us realise what we are.

Im still a little reserved about the coming Season when often daftly optimistic, maybe that's due to age, still think we need bulking out with some quality in the rearguard and for me Jolley showed a few shortfalls and limitations (though I'd love him to be some sort of Messiah). Hopefully these iron out with experience. Preseason seems more professional this time around.

Concerns me a little that he speaks of maybe a couple of signings but certainly wants just one, I'd say definitely two maybe three. And gone a bit quiet on the signings, utilising trialists usually strikes me as struggling a bit to fill positions. Though Craig Clay was a good one.
Posted by: bostonian, July 15, 2019, 1:21pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from marinerdazza

I remember him. Incredibly upbeat and bulletproof to insults.

I don't mind Boston either. We seem to have the relationship with Boston that we used to have with Lincoln a few decades ago.

Thank you very much both of you for your kind comments ,  You will be hearing from me again on a regular basis from now on .  I will update you on what I have been up to .            Meanwhile how many of the players that started at YS thurs night will be in your league starting line-up ?

Posted by: Sigone, July 15, 2019, 2:20pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from bostonian

Meanwhile how many of the players that started at YS thurs night will be in your league starting line-up ?

4 maybe 5

McKeown, Ring, Hessenthaler, Hendrie, Clifton.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 15, 2019, 3:45pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from Rik e B
If Lincoln had Grimsbyitis we need a heavier dose! Maybe Shutes can inject us and help us realise what we are.

Im still a little reserved about the coming Season when often daftly optimistic, maybe that's due to age, still think we need bulking out with some quality in the rearguard and for me Jolley showed a few shortfalls and limitations (though I'd love him to be some sort of Messiah). Hopefully these iron out with experience. Preseason seems more professional this time around.

Concerns me a little that he speaks of maybe a couple of signings but certainly wants just one, I'd say definitely two maybe three. And gone a bit quiet on the signings, utilising trialists usually strikes me as struggling a bit to fill positions. Though Craig Clay was a good one.

If he comes out and says he wants 3 but we only sign 1 player before 3rd August then he has made a rod for his own back. Loan players such as Embleton and Hendrie signed after the start of the season once it was clear there wasn't going to be much game time for them at their parent clubs.

We seem a bit top heavy up front so it may be a case of some wheeling and dealing also.

Personally I think we need a left back and centre back as a minimum plus a left footed midfielder. Another winger would be a bonus but imagine Cook or Cardwell would have to make way for that to happen.
Posted by: Rik e B, July 17, 2019, 12:02am; Reply: 87
Good point and he seems to have bumped it up now we just signed a LB on loan: he now saying hoping for a couple more permanent. Maybe those permanents closer to fruition than before so he being bolder in his statements. 🤔
Posted by: Rik e B, July 17, 2019, 12:06am; Reply: 88
Welcome back Bostonian!
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 7:25pm